Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Community Member

Default It Shouldn't Cost 20.00 to Survive a Quest (Yet Another Champions Rant)

Devs,

I am so very, very tired of encounters in quests, on EE or even low Reaper (R1, in this case) spawning hordes of champions in single encounters.

My serve pop is not great. Getting PUGs isn't easy, and I don't play on a schedule that allows me to run with a regular group. So, I solo most of the time, with hirelings, and I am often forced to use the various quest tools you sell in order to make the limited time I have to play worth the investment. If I get to the end of a quest, having worked hard to get there, and then I get screwed on the final encounter because RNG spawns seven Champions that I just cannot overcome, then all you're doing is squeezing me for money to get a single point of XP for the time I invested in play.

Today, soloing (which is to say, healing hireling and my Shield Guardian, and a Xoriat summon) the second quest in the Soul Splitter saga, I get to the end brawl with the people capturing the Warforged, and the majority of the mobs that spawn are champions. Ultimately, the Demon Soul spider flinger whatever mob was completely insurmountable. This is on R1. I have 20 Reaper points, I'm on my 4th or 5th life, I have solid gear and am a skilled player. I went through three spirit cakes and my jibbz and still could not bring that *one goddamn mob down*.

Please, I am on my knees begging you, please limit Champion spawns or allow us to change a setting. This is not fun to encounter, it's not fun to waste time *and* money trying to just get *some* return on my investment of time for the quest, and it's fury-inducing to do everything right while playing and still get slaughtered. This game shouldn't be the Kobiyashi Maru on EE or R1.

My build is fine, don't ask.

My playstyle is fine, I'm not interested in unrequested feedback.

My gear is about as good as it gets for someone who has my available play time.

Please reconsider how champions spawn, what they're capable of, and put some **** limits on it that scale with difficulty level.

Thanks. You won't get another dime from me in the store for quest aids until you do. I have spoken.

Community Member

You have a setting change available that guarantees you will never see multiple champions in the end fight.

Seems to be a trend... "It is not me, so it has to be you"

Gone are the days when people started with asking for advice before asking for change?

And just a note when Reaper first dropped I had a time where 6 various Reapers were in the Acid Dragon Room in TOR. I was dead before I even finished loading in, so I understand the frustration of being overpowered and the feeling of "I don't have a chance".

However, I bet if you change your mind and seek advice on your approach there are people here on the forums that would be more then willing to point out options you may not have considered.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Montegue View Post
    ...don't ask.

I'm not interested in unrequested feedback.

I have spoken.
    Well alrighty then.

Community Member

This is on R1.

This game shouldn't be the Kobiyashi Maru on EE or R1.
    You're soloing what's specifically designed to be a group mode. Drop down to HE or EH. Why wouldnt you? Its (literally) infinitely better XP to complete it on HE than to get killed on R1...

Is it, though? How do we know if you dont at least say what you're running?

Lots of people solo R1 with a variety of builds without having problems with champs. Particularly unlucky Reaper swarms, I'll hear about occasionally, but not champ spawns, and certainly not a single champ like you cited. So if you're really as well-geared and well-prepared as you claim, then the only logical conclusion is there's something you could be doing different to get better results.

(Yet Another Champions Rant)
    No one else is ranting about Champions...for most of us, Champions are just Remnants that havent dropped yet.

Then send a PM to a dev, dont post this on a discussion board and then try to say we cant discuss it.

Thanks. You won't get another dime from me in the store for quest aids until you do. I have spoken.
    Well yeah. Dont ever buy quest aids regardless...if you cant complete a quest just with your in-game stuff, then do something different.
    Last edited by droid327; 02-08-2020 at 09:55 AM.

Community Member HungarianRhapsody's Avatar

My playstyle is fine
    At least one of those two statements are obviously incorrect.
    No one in the world ever gets what they want
    And that is beautiful
    Everybody dies frustrated and sad
    And that is beautiful

Community Member

This is on R1
    You are not owed a completion of any quest on any difficulty, this is infinitly more true on reaper, which was specifically designed to be a challenge/groups required difficulty for the people for whom elite was too easy, the fact that reaper is soloable at all is a big fail of the system.

What is "fine", it clearly couldn't handle R1. That doesn't necessarily make the build bad, but perhaps it's just not cut out for reaper.

Clearly you're not looking for feedback, your demanding that the Challenge mode be made easier and refusing to change anything about your build or playstyle.

Good, Quest aids are a massive waste of money, you don't need them to do any content in the game if your build and playstyle are correct, but you refuse to accept any criticism on those.

Please, I am on my knees begging you, please limit Champion spawns or allow us to change a setting. This is not fun to encounter, it's not fun to waste time *and* money trying to just get *some* return on my investment of time for the quest, and it's fury-inducing to do everything right while playing and still get slaughtered. This game shouldn't be the Kobiyashi Maru on EE or R1.
    You have a button that disables champions on the quest entrance, it's called Normal no champs there, hard and elite both have weaker champions than reaper.

If you can't handle the champs play on normal where they don't exist, hard where they're total pushovers, or just group up.

That is exactly why I do not play Reapers.
    As far as I am concerned, that is not D+D.

Play up to elite, bring hireling...have fun.
    Will still be champions but not as many and lower tier.

Devs,

I am so very, very tired of encounters in quests, on EE or even low Reaper (R1, in this case) spawning hordes of champions in single encounters.

My serve pop is not great. Getting PUGs isn't easy, and I don't play on a schedule that allows me to run with a regular group. So, I solo most of the time, with hirelings, and I am often forced to use the various quest tools you sell in order to make the limited time I have to play worth the investment. If I get to the end of a quest, having worked hard to get there, and then I get screwed on the final encounter because RNG spawns seven Champions that I just cannot overcome, then all you're doing is squeezing me for money to get a single point of XP for the time I invested in play.

Today, soloing (which is to say, healing hireling and my Shield Guardian, and a Xoriat summon) the second quest in the Soul Splitter saga, I get to the end brawl with the people capturing the Warforged, and the majority of the mobs that spawn are champions. Ultimately, the Demon Soul spider flinger whatever mob was completely insurmountable. This is on R1. I have 20 Reaper points, I'm on my 4th or 5th life, I have solid gear and am a skilled player. I went through three spirit cakes and my jibbz and still could not bring that *one goddamn mob down*.

My gear is about as good as it gets for someone who has my available play time.

Please reconsider how champions spawn, what they're capable of, and put some **** limits on it that scale with difficulty level.

Ignore all the go play normal/hard crowd, they'll never get over uber cheat builds and the fact not every server is populated with reaper players all the time.

Vote with your wallet and walk away. The devs don't care, the elitist crowd doesn't care.
    Quote Originally Posted by FlimsyFirewood View Post
    I play a guy with a two-hander not just in this game, but in every game that has 'em.
    Quote Originally Posted by J-mann View Post
    Not to derail the thread, but then can you make 2hf NOT suck so much compared to 2wf or swf?
    Quote Originally Posted by FlimsyFirewood View Post
    8 pages in, that train has already sailed. The dead horse is canned into cat food by now.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by FlavoredSoul View Post
    You are not owed a completion of any quest on any difficulty, this is infinitly more true on reaper, which was specifically designed to be a challenge/groups required difficulty for the people for whom elite was too easy, the fact that reaper is soloable at all is a big fail of the system.

What is "fine", it clearly couldn't handle R1. That doesn't necessarily make the build bad, but perhaps it's just not cut out for reaper.

Clearly you're not looking for feedback, your demanding that the Challenge mode be made easier and refusing to change anything about your build or playstyle.

Good, Quest aids are a massive waste of money, you don't need them to do any content in the game if your build and playstyle are correct, but you refuse to accept any criticism on those.

You have a button that disables champions on the quest entrance, it's called Normal no champs there, hard and elite both have weaker champions than reaper.

If you can't handle the champs play on normal where they don't exist, hard where they're total pushovers, or just group up.
    Good feedback that OP won't listen to.
    Toon on cannith

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by lyrecono View Post
    Ignore all the go play normal/hard crowd, they'll never get over uber cheat builds and the fact not every server is populated with reaper players all the time.

Vote with your wallet and walk away. The devs don't care, the elitist crowd doesn't care.
    You don't require "Uber cheat builds" to do R1, but if you can't do R1 then you're supposed to drop the difficulty down.

The idea that everyone should be entitled to complete any difficulty without issue regardless of build or personal game skill is one of the most toxic ideas in the DDO community, what happens if reaper 1 is nerfed to the point where it's was easy as normal and basically impossible to die in? all those people asking for reaper 1 to be made easier will start trying to solo R3, get destroyed, and then ask for R3 to be made easier, repeat until the devs need to add reaper 30 (same as old reaper 10) because R10 is easy enough anyone can do it.

The "muh elitism" meme is toxic, in a MMO there is supposed to be content that is only for the elite players, DDO in fact is extremely generous to lower skilled players because it gives them the option to do the content on normal or hard, many MMOs don't have difficulty settings at all except for "hard modes" of raids.

If every player regardless of build, gear, and personal skill is entitled to complete reaper without a chance at failure then there is no point in improving your build or grinding for gear/character power, the entire game ceases to have a purpose.

If you can't handle reaper there are 3 difficult settings that range from moderately easier to extremely easy (well 4 but casual is kinda irrelevant because normal is easy enough for any player to do).
    Last edited by FlavoredSoul; 02-08-2020 at 10:19 AM.

Default In Other Words...

Let me summarize for you:

Hey Devs, I'm not performing as well as I know I am. Can you tone the game down so I'm actually good as I think I am? I know reaper level is where the dungeon is trying to kill me, but R1 should be no fail, like casual.
    Gwhyn Saige - heroic and epic completionist, loving the EK build
    https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthrea...elee-wizard-EK

Rather than whining about Reaper - don't play it. Problem solved. Reaper is awful.
    Kobold sentient jewel still hate you.

Community Member

This seems like a good time to repeat my oft-repeated request that R1 first time xp get normalized to the same as Elite, so there's no incentive to run R1 solo - and therefore no sense of entitlement to.

Either raise elite xp, or drop reaper xp, or meet somewhere in between.

Quote Originally Posted by Ghwyn View Post
    Let me summarize for you:

Hey Devs, I'm not performing as well as I know I am. Can you tone the game down so I'm actually good as I think I am?
    Heh

"He that is good for making excuses is seldom good for anything else." - Benjamin Franklin

To those who suggest normal to avoid champs.

WHEN normal would have SAME named drop rate as Elite/Reaper, and same favor reward. Then, and ONLY THEN your "teh leet" suggestion stands.

Elitists are bane of every game I played.

I don't care if OP is wrong in statement that his skill/build is good, for you elitist ***** there is R10, and since R1 has double first time XP over Elite (and don't even go to lower difficulties), it's clear on what difficulty it's expected to play.

Go play your OP build of the week and leave us who like our mish mash builds to play game we like in a way we like. If you wanna feel "#teh leet" you have R5+, and we "scrubs" have R1 to get our XP bonus.

Community Member

The instance being mentioned as an example is a super short, 5 minute or so, instance. The RNG gods can be painful in elites/reapers; sometimes you run into a 3 reapers as you round a corner (or a bad mix of multiple champs that just ROFL stomp you). Release/reset, good odds you won't get hit with the same combo mobs the next time. It's not worth burning any DDO points on a couple minutes of time. There's a risk/reward for doing harder settings (better XP/loot); but that's the reward is what makes it worth trying.

Quote Originally Posted by Drunkendex View Post
    To those who suggest normal to avoid champs.
    Champs are not a problem. Reaper is the problem.

WHEN normal would have SAME named drop rate as Elite/Reaper, and same favor reward. Then, and ONLY THEN your "teh leet" suggestion stands.

Elitists are bane of every game I played.
    Don't play a difficulty that is too hard for you is not elitism.

since R1 has double first time XP over Elite (and don't even go to lower difficulties), it's clear on what difficulty it's expected to play.
    A nonsensical argument. By that definition, you should only ever run Spies in the House or other massive XP quests since they give more than other options. You're "expected" to play at whatever difficulty you choose based on your preferences and ability. Any other definition than that is just wrong.

Go play your OP build of the week and leave us who like our mish mash builds to play game we like in a way we like. If you wanna feel "#teh leet" you have R5+, and we "scrubs" have R1 to get our XP bonus.
    Follow your own advice: keep your elitism to yourself.
    Kobold sentient jewel still hate you.

Quote Originally Posted by Matuse View Post
    Champs are not a problem. Reaper is the problem.
    Read OP post again will ya.
    What did you mean with that? That's what I wrote...

Don't play a difficulty that is too hard for you is not elitism.
    Kinda hard to see what you mean here...Not playing diff that's too hard for me is not elitism? Errr, WAT?
    I run Elite, and avoid Reaper. You can freely feel "superior" with your Inq over my mish mash Warlock.
    But when people who can only play OP build of the week expect entire game to be made around that build, we see problem here. That's what destroyed Path of Exile.

A nonsensical argument. By that definition, you should only ever run Spies in the House or other massive XP quests since they give more than other options. You're "expected" to play at whatever difficulty you choose based on your preferences and ability. Any other definition than that is just wrong.
    Because of that way of thinking SSG made most recent XP changes. Not everyone likes to only run high XP/min quests.

I don't look at XP/min, but clearly see what SSG want's me to run given first time XP bonuses.

Follow your own advice: keep your elitism to yourself.
    Spoken like a true elitist, as if you only have R1 to run, and not R1-10.

XP is not only problem here, ever tried to farm named on normal/hard runs? When it's gonna be same PITA as Elite/R runs I'll stop complaining. And taken into account that named gear outclasses lootgen by wide margin, it's clear why people complain.

Also favor is an issue, yes it's easy to run normal, but good luck getting any favor that way. Funny how not one of elitist ****** suggested casual.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast