Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Community Member

The default starting stats on this thread is recommended. If you end up with an odd point here or there, slot a +1 exceptional into your epic gear.

For 34 point, I'd suggest:

Str 14
    Dex 15
    Con 14
    Int 12
    Wis 16
    Cha 8

-------------------------------------------------

Ending stats, depending on gear, may look something like:

Str 28 = 14 + 2 tome + 7 gear + 2 ship + 1 exceptional + 2 defender
    Dex 30 = 15 + 3 tome + 6 gear + 2 ship + 2 alchemical - 2 earth stance + 2 enhancements + 2 yugo
    Con 32 = 14 + 3 tome + 6 gear + 2 ship + 1 exceptional + 2 defender + 3 earth stance + 1 enhancement
    Int 16 = 12 + 2 tome + 2 ship
    Wis 38 = 16 + 3 tome + 6 gear + 2 ship + 3 exceptional + 5 levels + 1 enhancement + 2 yugo
    Cha 20 = 8 + 2 tome + 7 gear + 2 ship + 1 exceptional
    Cannith Server - Kelida - Myriad - Sylmeria - A Tribe Called Zerg
    * Founder of The Emerald build and The Emerald v 2.0
    * First melee to have ever soloed VoD on Hard

Quote Originally Posted by Droken View Post
    6 fighter 2 paladin makes the best tank. I personally suggest cleric dili. For most players who participate in raids and tank for their guilds and friends, the original Emerald 2.0 is the version you want. The only minor issue you'll run into is having to hotswap to UMD and CHA skills items when reapplying your shield10 wand every now and again.

6 paladin 2 artificer makes the best soloist. Hit points will be significantly lower than the orginal build. In return, Unyielding Sovereignty gets you out of a jam if your Death Ward ever gets dispelled, or you forget to refresh it in time. A refresh of 10 mins means you can actually use it 10+ times during solo raid attempts. If you get drained for like 6 levels or so, you're screwed if you're relying on UMD. Your skill will be too low to to use anything reliably. The 30% to heal scrolls is also huge for the adventuring soloist. =}

In terms of stats, if you have a +3 int tome, yes, you're going to want to start with an 11. You'll net an extra 10 skill points. With the extra point you gain from bringing starting wis to 11, you can either throw it into charisma and start at 9, using a +1 exceptional cha in an epic augment slot to even out the ending number to 22, or reduce starting dex to 15 and bump starting wisdom to 17. It all depends on your gear and where you're getting your exceptional stats from. Alternatively, you can even end all your stats on odd numbers and rely on a littany of the dead.

Thanks so much for taking the time! +1 to you sir!
    Aggrom - Zenjin - Kaylam - Ciryll
    Ghallanda

Playing DDO since April 2006

Community Member

Default Possible Replacents with expansion

With the new monk 3 piece item set coming out ( outfit, belt and bracers) will be hard to resist trying to add them in. Especially since they are turning dodge bonus into a dodge% chance and not to AC. I do think when you see them added in with the expansion you will want to fit them into your build. just makes it abit harder for augments on the epic items.

Founder

Default how bad is it ?

I know it's too soon to see how some of the epic levels will play out, but any first impressions on how bad of a hit builds like this took with the expansion? what's a 95+ AC worth in the new world?

I have been sitting at 20 for a short while now, trying to gather up a little gear before TRing. when I read about the AC changes, I put things on hold until the dust settled a bit. if the changes totally killed the emerald, I may just TR him into a druid as you have to start at lvl 1 there no matter what. and wait to see what updates bring down the road. I can't believe Turbine is going to kill off the monk class, they usually take care of their pay to play races and classes, so hoping if the hit is too much, it will be adjusted after a couple of months

The Hatchery

how and when did turbine kill off monks?

just because other classes can now reach high ACs + DR, monks are "killed off"?

Now that pajamas aren't the high AC stuff of legends anymore, monks are dead?

Please explain.

Sorry, great builds by the OP. But that last post just s*cks.

Quote Originally Posted by Sunnyshadow View Post

Please explain.

Ppl that enjoy playing to be average will enjoy the new combat system, ppl that planned their builds to excel will be sorely disappointed,

The combat changes may seem like a good thing for the mediocre AC builds, but what those builds fail to realise is there is now far less improvement if you decide to go further.

The 75% ac "cap" and diminishing returns make it far more worthwhile to not bother specializing in the AC field.. To-hit either for that matter.
    Just go for your 50%-60% marker and you'll do ok.

A lot of people (like myself) actually enjoyed the grind for that one more AC point, or reslotting every piece of gear because you just found that perfect in slot item.

We aimed for perfection and with enough dedication we were(past tense) able to achieve it, new players will never have that feeling, nor the mitigation we were rewarded with for our efforts.
    -Stealth RULEZ- A compilation -Favor 101- "How-to" unlock the game -Boycott the changes- combat changes stink
    You say you want your $$ back, i d g a f about the $$. I want my GAME back..

Founder

Quote Originally Posted by Sunnyshadow View Post

Please explain.

and thank you for such an informative and well thought out response

in case you haven't been following these builds by Droken, the concept was to be almost unhittable while maintaining some decent offensive capabilities. all reports, so far, indicated that monks took way more of a hit than most other classes in regards to the effectiveness of a high AC. they get little, to no, PRR and the dodge bonuses that used to greatly help with the last few points of AC now don't help nearly as much.

I didn't said anything about other classes reaching higher AC and DR or that their doing so hurt monks in any way. in fact, I am all for improving other classes. I was looking for feedback, from high end players who used builds like this, as to how badly they were hurt by the recent changes and whether trying to pursue a high level AC build like this was still a valid concept. but thank you for your reply anyway,

Sunnyshadow - thank you for your on topic reply. that was the type of information I was asking for and, unfortunately, appears to confirm what I saw and read in beta. was hoping that the live version wasn't as bad as feared. like you, I enjoy the challenge of striving for that last little bit and just recently found these builds by Droken.

I tried several S&B type builds, looking for that AC tank but just couldn't get into them. a monk fits more into my play style and to find one that might also be able to satisfy that AC junkie craving was pretty exciting. will see if Droken, or others, find a way for builds like this to achieve close to what they were doing. or if we put it down to a victim of evolution and head a different direction.

Community Member

To be honest I have noticed a improvement on not being hit on my monk. I see lots of miss dodge incorp blurry scroll past as I fight. Now the only suggestion I can actually make is to get the monk set from out there wich would require removeing the icy rainmants , the scorched bracers, and the belt. The reason for that is the robes have a proc in earth stance for a radiant shield effect. On my monk it goes off constantly on normal mobs and even against dragons its up about 3 or 4 times. Now to keep the abishi set bonus I would fit in the Charged gauntlets. so you keep your profane bonus to str and natural armor. So the only things you really lose out on is your Dodge from the robe, and fire resist 30 from the bracers. But you gain insight +2 wisdom for free. Now you only loose 4% dodge doing this so I think its a fair trade. The only issue I can really see is decideing on your epic destiny being eaither grand master or unyielding sentinal. Both have very good points though I will be going grand master since it adds more in for wisdom and also the Everything is Nothing power. After all just by going by the OP's current buffed stats at lv 20 he would have a DC 54 on his attack not counting any other wisdom points he fits in with the destiny.Personally I will be takeing 3 wisdom points from the destiny line cause on those lvs not much interests me on it. Also dont forget that the Earth stance can get buffed where you get another 15 physical resistance for a total of 30 on that wich would be a big help to players. Just my two cents worth on the subject.

Community Member

Smile still holding up

So i have been runing with this build with only a few minor changes im up to 23 (was 22 when i did this) and just started tir 5 GMoF andwe wanted to run a Elob got the group build and guess what no tank so i said well i have tanked it on normal befor the update no prob why not try it on hard i need a refined for my non main alch wraps so we go in and where like lets run epic normal how hard can it be? well needless to say we got in theres a shrine now also and i was stuning the palys no prob and we get to the lord and run forrward with for him to start moving and start with melee thinking some one is going to pull the dogs the same way well after about 10 sec of soloing the lord is showing damage and im almost never geting him by him and when he is hiting me its weak ( i have a 52 PRR andheal scrolls healing me for 700 or so) and i have 850 hp or so at this time at this pont im like come on? realy and tell the group forget the pillers just bombbard him we in turn do this kill the dogs as they get close and 17 mins after starting ELOB we have 4 Exquisite in the end chest. i was holding argo argo and intims and i think i had 6 morlands on me at one potin that only got me to like high 600 HP but i didn't even care about it and thats at the time. also i was useing the full sunsoul set and procing that 25% shield a lot. now i am also not useing any apashi at this point and i was siting around 90 ac and he was still just missing me out right. now out side of LOB i have been the last one to live and used scrolls and rased the group on the new house quest elite and othere of the def quest around one some one in the group says wipe and im still alive and i say just wait. all in all the build still rocks you just have to adjust a little bit

Community Member

I am also leveling this build at the moment and with the loss of the dodge ac, I am curious about the 90 ac that you are getting. Any chance you can give me a breakdown of how you are getting that with the new changes? Thanks in advance for taking the time to reply.

Quote Originally Posted by heavyg25 View Post
    I am also leveling this build at the moment and with the loss of the dodge ac, I am curious about the 90 ac that you are getting. Any chance you can give me a breakdown of how you are getting that with the new changes? Thanks in advance for taking the time to reply.
    I have been running this build for a while now. I'm not sure on the 90AC, but I sit at 105 with just ship buffs (should end up higher), 25% dodge, and 67PPR (should also get higher) at lv 25. TBH I lost track of what was boosting ac a while back, but I can post my build and gear that I am using after the update.

As a side note also ran an eNorm LoB and I just iggy'd all his attacks (whilwind and all) he couln't touch me.

Code:
    Character Plan by DDO Character Planner Version 03.14.01
    DDO Character Planner Home Page

Level 20 Lawful Good Human Female
    (2 Fighter \ 6 Paladin \ 12 Monk) 
    Hit Points: 372
    Spell Points: 155 
    BAB: 17\17\22\27\27
    Fortitude: 25
    Reflex: 18
    Will: 22

Starting          Feat/Enhancement
    Abilities        Base Stats          Modified Stats
    (36 Point)       (Level 1)             (Level 20)
    Strength             16                    22
    Dexterity            14                    17
    Constitution         14                    18
    Intelligence         10                    13
    Wisdom               15                    25
    Charisma             12                    17

Tomes Used
    +2 Tome of Strength used at level 7
    +2 Tome of Dexterity used at level 7
    +2 Tome of Constitution used at level 7
    +2 Tome of Intelligence used at level 7
    +2 Tome of Wisdom used at level 7
    +2 Tome of Charisma used at level 7
    +3 Tome of Strength used at level 11
    +3 Tome of Dexterity used at level 11
    +3 Tome of Constitution used at level 11
    +3 Tome of Intelligence used at level 11
    +3 Tome of Wisdom used at level 11
    +3 Tome of Charisma used at level 11
    +4 Tome of Constitution used at level 16
    +4 Tome of Strength used at level 20
    +4 Tome of Charisma used at level 20

Starting          Feat/Enhancement
                     Base Skills         Modified Skills
    Skills           (Level 1)            (Level 20)
    Balance               6                    29
    Bluff                 1                     3
    Concentration         6                    34
    Diplomacy             1                     3
    Disable Device        n/a                   n/a
    Haggle                1                     3
    Heal                  2                     7
    Hide                  2                     7
    Intimidate            3                    27
    Jump                  6                    19
    Listen                2                     7
    Move Silently         2                     7
    Open Lock             n/a                   n/a
    Perform               n/a                   n/a
    Repair                0                     1
    Search                0                     1
    Spot                  2                     7
    Swim                  3                     6
    Tumble                3                     6
    Use Magic Device      3                    14

Level 1 (Monk)
    Skill: Balance (+4)
    Skill: Concentration (+4)
    Skill: Intimidate (+2)
    Skill: Jump (+3)
    Skill: Tumble (+1)
    Skill: Use Magic Device (+2)
    Feat: (Human Bonus) Dodge
    Feat: (Past Life) Past Life: Monk
    Feat: (Past Life) Past Life: Paladin
    Feat: (Monk Bonus) Stunning Fist
    Feat: (Selected) Toughness

Level 2 (Monk)
    Skill: Balance (+1)
    Skill: Concentration (+1)
    Skill: Jump (+2)
    Skill: Use Magic Device (+0.5)
    Feat: (Monk Bonus) Toughness

Level 3 (Paladin)
    Skill: Intimidate (+3)
    Feat: (Selected) Past Life: Disciple of the Fist

Level 4 (Paladin)
    Ability Raise: WIS

Level 5 (Monk)
    Skill: Balance (+3)
    Skill: Concentration (+2)
    Feat: (Monk Path) Path of Inevitable Dominion: Fists of Darkness

Level 6 (Monk)
    Skill: Use Magic Device (+1.5)
    Feat: (Selected) Mobility

Level 7 (Paladin)
    Skill: Intimidate (+3)

Level 8 (Monk)
    Skill: Balance (+2)
    Skill: Use Magic Device (+1)

Level 9 (Monk)
    Skill: Intimidate (+1)
    Feat: (Selected) Spring Attack
    Feat: (Monk Bonus) Two Weapon Fighting

Level 10 (Monk)
    Skill: Jump (+1)

Level 11 (Monk)

Level 12 (Paladin)
    Feat: (Selected) Combat Expertise

Level 13 (Fighter)
    Feat: (Fighter Bonus) Improved Two Weapon Fighting

Level 14 (Monk)
    Skill: Balance (+3)

Level 15 (Fighter)
    Feat: (Selected) Greater Two Weapon Fighting
    Feat: (Fighter Bonus) Improved Critical: Bludgeoning Weapons

Level 16 (Monk)

Level 17 (Monk)

Level 18 (Monk)
    Feat: (Selected) Toughness

Level 19 (Paladin)

Level 20 (Paladin)
    Enhancement: Paladin Armor Class Boost I
    Enhancement: Human Adaptability Strength I
    Enhancement: Human Improved Recovery I
    Enhancement: Human Improved Recovery II
    Enhancement: Human Improved Recovery III
    Enhancement: Static Charge
    Enhancement: Way of the Patient Tortoise I
    Enhancement: Way of the Patient Tortoise II
    Enhancement: Touch of Death
    Enhancement: Porous Soul
    Enhancement: All-Consuming Flame
    Enhancement: Monk Improved Recovery I
    Enhancement: Monk Improved Recovery II
    Enhancement: Monk Improved Recovery III
    Enhancement: Monk Ninja Spy I
    Enhancement: Monk Ninja Spy II
    Enhancement: Winter's Touch
    Enhancement: Adept of Rock
    Enhancement: Master of Stone
    Enhancement: Paladin Courage of Good I
    Enhancement: Paladin Bulwark of Good I
    Enhancement: Paladin Focus of Good I
    Enhancement: Paladin Resistance of Good I
    Enhancement: Paladin Divine Righteousness I
    Enhancement: Paladin Extra Lay on Hands I
    Enhancement: Paladin Defender of Siberys I
    Enhancement: Racial Toughness I
    Enhancement: Improved Intimidate I
    Enhancement: Improved Jump I
    Enhancement: Improved Jump II
    Enhancement: Improved Tumble I
    Enhancement: Improved Tumble II
    Enhancement: Paladin Charisma I
    Enhancement: Fighter Strength I
    Enhancement: Monk Wisdom I
    Enhancement: Monk Wisdom II
    Enhancement: Paladin Toughness I
    Lv 21 Vorp fist (though I think imp MA might be better)
    Lv24 Balwork of defense stat lv up into Wis

Gear:

Head: Epic Helm of frost Slotted with GFL
    Neck: Grim's Bracelet (not slotted atm, but will get GL +2)
    Goggles: Min2 GS
    Trinket: Planer focus of prowess +3 str
    Armor: Upgraded Caparison +3 wis
    Cloak: Epic cloak of night (will upgrade to bear cloak)
    Bracers: Sun soul
    Belt: Sun soul
    Ring: Seal of house dun'Robar +10 stun +7 Str (not used while tanking I use epic seal of earth)
    Ring: AA Tod ring with holy burst (any +6 and +1ex dex ring would do just as well)
    Boot: Epic boots of corrosion (not slotted atm but will put nat armor +4 and ex chr +1)
    Glove: Using Coove gloves now but plan on using epic charged gauntlets slotted with FF (I'm lazy)

Twist of Fate I use are: Standing with stone, Imp CE, and Unearthly reactions (this many points requires 48 ED lv's and a +2 fate tome)
    I'm stay in the ED Unyeilding Sentinnal
    Brace for impact (4 points)
    Bane of undead (2 points)
    Endless Smiting (3 points)
    Endless LoH (3 points)
    Light the Dark (2 points)
    Purify wepons (2 points)
    Anoint wepons (2 points)
    Ward against evil (3 points)
    Hardened (3 points)
    Last edited by MeatSheild; 09-05-2012 at 03:10 PM.

Community Member

That is very good information, very much appreciated.

Default I love it!

Emerald V2 I did the 12 monk/6 paladin/2 arty version and man I love it, although i'm trying to figure out what I did wrong on the AC cause she's only got about 66. She dodges/incorporeal a lot of the damage she would have taken though ... got a 6 wisdom on hp item and 3 from that new spider-spun caprison or whatever... So in the process of getting seal of Dun'Robar to get her 4 percent dodge back.... hehe the epic game shuffle
    for epics I don't have the recommended stuff cause I haven't farmed it up, Using Epic brawling gloves, epic chime, epic spare hand, epic wind bracers from House C collectibles, nothing on my neck right now thinking about putting something there but haven't decided yet what. Anyway I just wanna say thanks!
    Current TR project -- Anshel life 8 of 20 ending up FVS
    Side TR project -- Daciana (life 8 of 14 maybe)(Will be completionist druid)
    Khyber main server

Originally Posted by MeliCat:
    I don't like strawberry ice cream. You can offer all the strawberry ice cream that you like and I won't eat it. Offer me chocolate and I'll ask for second helpings.

Hey, I always loved that build. Especially with 6 pally levels.

But I am especially curious, how your build would look like nowadays lvl28 using destinies. May I ask you to update it?

Community Member

Default 3rd lifer

I tried this build out and currently on her third life. Absolutely love it

sorry for necro but im not sure if op plays anymore but i was wondering to some of the testers out there. would this build ever be able to live up to the new stuff or did it die since the changes?

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by arkonas View Post
    sorry for necro but im not sure if op plays anymore but i was wondering to some of the testers out there. would this build ever be able to live up to the new stuff or did it die since the changes?
    If you want to play a unarmed build with stunning fist, that class splash is still good (12 monk/pally/fighter), but some feats and enhancements can change, check this post for a more updated build: https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthrea...=1#post5524681

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123