Default DDO just isn't a good game to solo!!!

I remember when this game came out, there were several reviews posted about how it wasn't a game for solo players. I had managed to solo a few of the harbor dungeons before headstart even ended. I took a very long break from the game at one point, but when I came back recently, I've been amazed at how much fun it can be to solo in this game. I mainly play a paladin, and I've been able to solo virtually every harbor and market quest, many house quests, tangleroot, west threnal on hard, stormcleave on hard, VON1-4, and undoubtedly a ton of other stuff I'm not thinking of right now.

Last night, I managed to accomplish something I've wanted to do for a long time. I managed to SOLO TEMPEST SPINE! I'm pretty sure I'm not the first to ever do it, but it was still a great accomplishment for me. Here's a link detailing the adventure, as well as an extensive photo gallery:
    Link: http://www.brownos.com/tempest/
    Gallery: http://www.brownos.com/tempest/tempest_gallery/

I'd like to encourage anyone who hasn't really tried it much to give soloing a shot. The rewards may not be as great and quick as group play, but you can really slow down and enjoy the quests in your own way. I've gone through quests over a dozen times with a group, but never really knew it thoroughly until running through it solo and exploring everything. Plus you can actually stop and read the dialogue and enjoy the story of a quest at your own pace.

Group play certainly has it's advantages, and I probably group as much as I solo. But playing through a quest your own way with nobody else to worry about can really let you enjoy the game in a different way. And it helps you learn how to play the game far more effectively for when you do group.

Anyway, good luck in your adventures, whether you stand alone or group with others.

The above statement(s) are not to be taken seriously in any way. Any semblance of candor or implication of seriousness is purely coincidental. Failure to utterly disregard said statement(s) may result in undue anger/annoyance and as such a retraction and subsequent apology is hereby made in prior.

jbrownos - 24 year old human male - Level 36 commoner with 3 divine ranks

Default right on

Great post. I agree with you. I live on the west coast and have kids, so I usually don't get on until fairly late... by then most of my guildies are off-line and I usually just don't feel up to a PUG. So I'm working on a solo build that I'm just running solo. It's a blast! I'm learning all kinds of cool things about the quests that I had totally overlooked in the past. What's great about it is it allows me to jump on, pick up on the quest segment I haven't finished, then drop to go take care of the family... all without irking anyone that may have been in my PUG. BTW, I rocketed to 5th level just by doing market quests -- do each one 4-5 on normal, then hard and elite. You mix it up, bounce around, do sections of WW as time allows, nailing each in 20-30 minute sittings. It really made the game more accessible for me, for I often wouldn't even log in unless I knew I had a good 3 hours free to play. I've done all of the harbor quests so far and am working my way through STK currently, at total level of 5 now. Next stop will be T'Root, then STK again on hard, then the Dryden quests, then to the Depths, then back to TRoot on hard/elite. After that, I planned to clean out all of the market quests I could then start moving to the houses... I want to see how far I can go solo. It's much more engaging, for I really have to think my way through things -- and I now remember all of the things I have to do in each quest, making me a more valuable party member when I do PUG.

Any thoughts on the best solo build to use for this? I like to tank and DPS, so I'm focusing on Ftr, currently F3/P2... plan to splash 3 total levels of pally for saves, AC, healing, and 2 rogue for evasion and skill points for UMD and maybe open lock...

First off why is the title "DDO just isn't a good game to solo!!!" when you are saying the opposite?

Anyways congrats on doing it alone! I just ran that quest is a full party and we got through it really easily but I got blown off by the boss right before he died. After feather-falling for a while I was basically at the start of the quest... with the chest being on top. Now I'm a lvl 12 super-squishy sorcerer and everyone in my party left. I ran to the top AFTER we finished the quest and i STILL barely made it through the remaining enemies and traps (someone got me feeble-minded and I was basically running around as fast as I could trying not to go in hallways we hadn't cleared).

I did learn that one good way of clearing the lava at the beginning without fire resist is to spam false-life

Yeah solo-ing sure does bring a greater appreciation of the quests.

i've solo'd a fair bit (see link in sig), and i really think the best thing is a combination of solo and group play. Get the best of both worlds.

PLUS, people might start realizing you don't need a party of 6 to do most quests.

Anyways, congrats on solo-ing Tempest.. that is quite a feat!
    |^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^| ||
    |.....ALE TRUCK......| ||'|";, ___.
    |_...._....._____===|=||_|__|..., ]
    "(@)'(@)"***|(@)(@)**''(@)
    _________________Thanks to Hunglo for the Ale Truck

Default I knee-jerked the title, too.

Quote Originally Posted by jbrownos View Post
    I'd like to encourage anyone who hasn't really tried it much to give soloing a shot. The rewards may not be as great and quick as group play, but you can really slow down and enjoy the quests in your own way. I've gone through quests over a dozen times with a group, but never really knew it thoroughly until running through it solo and exploring everything. Plus you can actually stop and read the dialogue and enjoy the story of a quest at your own pace.

Group play certainly has it's advantages, and I probably group as much as I solo. But playing through a quest your own way with nobody else to worry about can really let you enjoy the game in a different way. And it helps you learn how to play the game far more effectively for when you do group.

Anyway, good luck in your adventures, whether you stand alone or group with others.
    One things for sure - the communication is usually pretty tight.

I'm pretty self sufficient these days. Viglin and Darius deserve a /Toast for encouraging soloing "back then".

Thanks all.
    So, I hear that one day we may get Familiars...
    ....I want a Velociraptor!

Quote Originally Posted by guidarr View Post
    Any thoughts on the best solo build to use for this? I like to tank and DPS, so I'm focusing on Ftr, currently F3/P2... plan to splash 3 total levels of pally for saves, AC, healing, and 2 rogue for evasion and skill points for UMD and maybe open lock...
    An evasion tank seems to be a pretty good build to solo with from my experience. Every time I think of trying a new build now, I find myself thinking "I wonder how I could work in evasion."

I actually ended up taking 3 levels of paladin and 3 of rogue. There were several reasons for this. You still get many of the good mid-level fighter enhancements with fighter 6. Also, all classes get an increase to all three saves at third level, not just their "high" saves. You also get an extra 1d6 of sneak attack, and since I took the last rogue at 12, it gave me a chance to maximize important skills.

From my experience, I haven't really been able to have high enough rogue skills to bother disabling (since you need spot, search and disable). I actually ended up putting most skills into things like intimidate and balance to help with tanking. Spot is very nice because it's a real pain if you can't see opponents, and it can give you an occasional heads-up on traps. I can usually get through most traps without any problems, though, and if a party needs them disabled for other members, then they should rely on a real rogue, not a hybrid tank.

Lock picking is a good possibility, however. It doesn't rely on other skills, and you can't critically fail at it. As long as you can get it on a 20, you can pick a lock with no worries. And it will let you open locked chests as well as dungeons with locked shrines or optionals.

If you don't have a specific race in mind, I really can't say enough about dwarves. even with the lower charisma, if you look at all the innate abilites and enhancements they can get, it's pretty obvious why so many fighters choose them.

Anyway, hope this gives helps you out in some way. I might actually post a build based on Jerlen at some point, although much of it seems pretty obvious.

The above statement(s) are not to be taken seriously in any way. Any semblance of candor or implication of seriousness is purely coincidental. Failure to utterly disregard said statement(s) may result in undue anger/annoyance and as such a retraction and subsequent apology is hereby made in prior.

Quote Originally Posted by VonBek View Post
    One things for sure - the communication is usually pretty tight.
    That's really another excellent point. Probably some of the worst mess-ups in groups occur because of miscommunication. When it's just you, it gives you complete control over everything that goes on, and there are never any misunderstandings about what's being done. How many groups could notice something they failed to realize going in, then decide to completely alter the battle plan in the heat of combat and have everyone know exactly what is going on?

And for that matter, how hard is it for a party to know it's time to retreat and all run at the same time? I retreat often in solo with no real issues. I doubt I've ever seen a party retreat without at least a couple of deaths.

Founder & Hero
    2016 DDO Players Council

I remember when this game came out, there were several reviews posted about how it wasn't a game for solo players. I had managed to solo a few of the harbor dungeons before headstart even ended. I took a very long break from the game at one point, but when I came back recently, I've been amazed at how much fun it can be to solo in this game. I mainly play a paladin, and I've been able to solo virtually every harbor and market quest, many house quests, tangleroot, west threnal on hard, stormcleave on hard, VON1-4, and undoubtedly a ton of other stuff I'm not thinking of right now.

Last night, I managed to accomplish something I've wanted to do for a long time. I managed to SOLO TEMPEST SPINE! I'm pretty sure I'm not the first to ever do it, but it was still a great accomplishment for me. Here's a link detailing the adventure, as well as an extensive photo gallery:

I agree just today I did stealthy repo and found a room I never knew was there with a chest in it sure it didnt have anything really worth anything at all but it was neat to find it with my little level 2 paladin. with a horde of angry kobolds trying to kill me.

Beware the Sleepeater

Stormreach Advisor
    Founder

I'm planning to try to solo TS at level 14... every time I've been in there the group has been going so fast I never quite followed what was going on.
    On another hand, it looks like the end boss is getting a boost, so it may become difficult...

Default Build

Quote Originally Posted by guidarr View Post
    Well, as jbrownos, mentioned, evasion tanks have gotten good feedback. The "Batman" builds have their adherents. I've mostly enjoyed a WF Ftr/Paladin with a detect secret doors clickie, and a Drow Ranger/Rogue for the wand heals; traps, locks, and stealth; and combat versatility.

I'm amazed at how far I've gotten. I did not set my bar as high as Darius did with Freebeard. I'd seen swiped signet crush overpowered zergers on hard. Once. But when each of the above solo'd Swiped Signet on norm, then hard, I felt like I'd accomplished something.

Quote Originally Posted by tihocan View Post
    I'm planning to try to solo TS at level 14... every time I've been in there the group has been going so fast I never quite followed what was going on.
    On another hand, it looks like the end boss is getting a boost, so it may become difficult...
    sorjek is getting more then a boost.

he getting tethers.
    R.I.P. Xoriat 8/2/07 ______________[]Ninja Posts:726.5 bunninja is watching
    Information from devs ______________Member of Cupcake's Muskateers!____
    /wearing a Jiffy Pop pan tinfoil hat made by shecky

I agree with every word in this post. Well said, JB. I enjoy grouping a lot, especially with a good group, but I don't think you can *really* get a good solid feel for a dungeon until you go in by yourself.

I was running a pure solo character planned as 3/3/6 Rogue/Paladin/Fighter that was built as a tank and did fairly well for a while, but I became thoroughly stuck at high level 5 / low level 6, mostly because of casters. Having learned much from that character, I've rebuilt a new one as a 8/3/1 Paladin/Rogue/Wizard which is much more focused on good saves, but is still pretty maxed on Rogue skills and decent AC and DPS. We'll see how it goes, heh, I've only just started (and so far so good).

This is my third attempt at a solo character, and the second was much better than the first. Hopefully the third time gets me even further than the second.
    The locus of my identity is totally exterior to me.
    "On my business card, I am a corporate president. In my mind, I am a game developer. But in my heart, I am a gamer." - Satoru Iwata

I tried to take a friend through restless isles to get to the quests so I could use the guides. We had troubles. The next night I decided to go solo, and had less trouble. In fact I got to Ghola Fan quest giver killing everything along the way. ohhh, except for a fight with three ogre mages and two ogres was a standoff. Two and two, I killed, but the fight that added a third mage, after two minutes of fighting them, I decided to just take the elevator.

Anyways, it was with my 6 fighter/4 pally/2 rogue human archer with dwarven axes and itwf.

Personally I like the Rogue 1/Ranger X build for soloing. You have healing, ranged damage(which can be nice for soloing in the right areas), melee damage, trap-smithing, and can have UMD. Very versatile character.
    "Good judgment comes from experience, and experience comes from bad judgment."
    -Barry LePatner

I've been soloing here for a couple of weeks. I'm rocking what looks like a Batman, but is functionally quite different. So far, I'm level 5, but I am a rank and a half short of being able to level up to 7. A big thing to me is don't level up until you have to as there is no reason to suck the XP penalty if you don't need to. Plus, death hurts less.

So far, I've done all of the level 1 quests on elite (that aren't solo-only), all of the level 2's on hard and most on elite, ww on hard, stk on normal (except the boss), all of the level 3's on normal, catacombs on normal (except the Dryden at the end) and the first 5 of tangleroot (haven't gotten to the last part yet). BTW, a great way to get early XP is to run the WW encounters (not the quests, just the intro areas after Private Jake.) It might not seem like a ton of XP, but at level 1-3, it's quite a bit, and it adds up. Run both sides, hit up a goodblade quest, run ww again, etc. It gets tougher to level through solo play the higher you get, so this early XP can keep you from running out of steam quite so quickly.

My build is currently a 2 Rogue / 3 Paladin Drow. Eventually, I'm looking at something like 7 Rogue / 3 Paladin / 4 Fighter. The idea for solo play is that I can self-heal both with wands and twice / day with lay on hands, and I have full trap-finding ability and heavy armor. So far, it's been great. At high levels, I can function as a full rogue on elite content and as a backup DPS and caster via UMD and pally wands (including raise dead scrolls.)

Starting stats are:

STR: 15
    DEX: 10
    CON: 8
    INT: 18
    WIS: 10
    CHA: 16

Feat highlights include Skill focus: UMD, disable device and possibly spot, as well as nimble fingers.

Quote Originally Posted by Adorind View Post
    BTW, a great way to get early XP is to run the WW encounters (not the quests, just the intro areas after Private Jake.) It might not seem like a ton of XP,
    I use those too, but for mitigating XP debt quickly at lower levels.