Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: vorpal tactics

Quote Originally Posted by HumanJHawkins View Post
    This is (theoretically) no longer true... Vorpal was never meant to work on glancing blows, and the release notes seemed to indicate that it no longer does as of 4.1.

Can anyone confirm or refute this?

Thanks!
    quoted the wrong person?
    If you want to know why...

Quote Originally Posted by Cinwulf View Post
    Close to my set up on my finesse Ranger: a vorpal kama (no im not proficient ) a +10 seeker hand axe and precision. With the extra attacks and a 30 dex still slaughtering mobs even on elite
    Why would you need Precision? A 20 is a hit.

-

Quote Originally Posted by Zyklon View Post
    Why would you need Precision? A 20 is a hit.

-
    But to confirm the critical, isn't that like another TH roll?

Quote Originally Posted by Strakeln View Post
    Heavy fort doesn't block the vorpal effect. I hear death block/death ward does, though.
    This seems the opposite of what you would expect .. don't you need to confirm a critical hit for the head to roll?

Quote Originally Posted by GeneralDiomedes View Post
    But to confirm the critical, isn't that like another TH roll?
    Yes, it is.

Quote Originally Posted by GeneralDiomedes View Post
    This seems the opposite of what you would expect .. don't you need to confirm a critical hit for the head to roll?
    You do. It is not, however, an on-critical effect. It is an on-20 effect with the need to confirm as per a critical. Very different.

(And, to my knowledge, heavy fort doesn't stop a burst effect, does it?)
    Person Æ, Sarlona
    Tanka Yomero (Human Hybrid) .:. Darani Yomero (Drow Sorcerer) .:. Yomero (WF Paladonk)

Community Member

Yes you do need to confirm the 20 as a crit (make another to hit roll using the exact same numbers + any seeker/confirm crit bonuses).

If this were not the case you would see casters running around perma hasted, dual wielding vorpals, swinging at anything that moves while they wait for their FoD timer to cooldown...it doesn't work, believe me I tried

a confirmation check is not a to hit roll. turbine changed the way checks work. for a save or an attack roll, a 1 is an auto-fail and a 20 is an auto-pass. for checks, 1 is not an auto-fail and 20 is not an auto-pass. my fighter's confirmation bonus is 40-50+, most mobs do not have an ac so high. my confirmation is almost always confirmed. so if i roll a 20, the mobs is going to die
    If you want to know why...

Community Member

Default Question on Invisibility and Fog spells.

1st Question: with invisibility spell, i notice that the monsters tend to still know that I am present and they walk towards me and start attacking. I am assuming this is becuase they can hear me. So my question is, do they get a penalty to hitting me becuase I am invisibile?

2nd Question: With the fog spells, ex. fog cload, acid cloud, cload kill...so on. Do these spells also affect your companions that are in the cloud adn if so how are the advantagious to you if they also deal damage to you or also give concealment to the enemy?

3rd Question: A continuation of the above question, what is an effective way to use these cloud spells in combat situations?

Quote Originally Posted by Viza View Post
    Bosses or anything else immune to crit (puddings, slimes, bony undead, ghosts, wraiths, etc.), PvP since most people have heavy fort.,
    I know this is really not the point of this thread, but I thought I would point out that Heavy Fort does NOT stop vorpal in DDO. Deathward DOES stop vorpal in DDO. Also, a recent ruling by the Sage (@ Wizards of The Coast) which stated that Heavy Fort does stop vorpal in P&P was recalled by WOTC, stating that Vorpal is indeed a magical death effect, which is not stopped by fortification.

Whether or not I agree, I am not sure, but this IS how it works
    Last edited by Gelandor; 05-12-2008 at 04:36 AM.

| Jolokia | Gelandor | Criminal | Cerial Killer | Insurgence | Barias | Camiel |
    -=[ Archangels ]=-

Quote Originally Posted by Thrudh View Post
    I've never really understood why vorpals are so sought after...

I mean, most of them are +1 weapons that are vorpal... no other special effect...

And then they only auto-kill on a 20... so 1 out of every 20 swings...

So it seems a vorpal is pretty worthless against anything that you could kill in 19 swings or less with a more damaging weapon..

Which I would think would be most critters... Or maybe I don't realize how many swings it takes to kill a BAM dwarf or a desert gnoll... (I've never tried to count my swings on them)

Seems like I'd rather have a Greater Gnoll Bane weapon than a vorpal when fighting gnolls though... Or at least, they seem fairly equal in power to me... Even if the vorpal is a better weapon, is it really worth 10-20 times the price of the Greater Bane weapon in gold?

Why do people pay so much for them?
    well when you dual weild vorpals you know how many attacks a TWF gets per round? lol
    Quote Originally Posted by Tolero View Post
    *pokes the patch with a stick* get out there you,
    Quote Originally Posted by Tolero View Post
    We were pretty up front that the twf update was going to be a nerf regardless of lag or not.
    Quote Originally Posted by MadFloyd View Post
    Um, I'm almost afraid to ask, but exactly just what is 'sneak humping'?

Per the Devs, Vorpal can only drop on Slashing and Piercing weapons (as intended from PnP rules). Ranged weapons are in their own catagory and will not spawn with the Vorpal mod.
    Well, Slashing throwing weapons can come with Vorpal.

I have toons with throwing vorpal axes and vorpal throwing stars. If you get one put it on a ranger and watch it clean out the mobs in the titan when they are all in one row for fun.

Multible lops, :}

Quote Originally Posted by Tanka View Post
    Unless they're somehow immune to Crits, which most aren't (been in groups with one person wielding a Vorpal, dropped 'em faster with it than without).

One of my guildies dropped six ogres in a row in Ghola Fan, somewhere around three-four swings on each. Sometimes you roll that 20 more often than 5% of the time.
    Nice! I have a tempest ranger w/ 4 fighter levels Zuess, when I hit that fighter attackboost lol i,m not kidding I have dropped 15-20 mobs in Part4 when you get on a roll it can be a sight to see
    Argonnessen Server Officer of ChaosKnights
    Satsuma (Human/fighter TR'd) ~ Sarkhan (WF Wizard) ~ Morgion (Human cleric) ~ Troubador (Human bard) ~ Zuess (Dwarven TW Kensai Fighter) ~ Mordekainen (Human TR'd Sorcerer) ~ Tharuk ( Elf Monk) ~ FlyingRobot (WF Barbarian) ~ Triskelion ~ (WF Fighter)

You guys do realize this thread is almost a year old, right?
    Person Æ, Sarlona
    Tanka Yomero (Human Hybrid) .:. Darani Yomero (Drow Sorcerer) .:. Yomero (WF Paladonk)

Quote Originally Posted by Tanka View Post
    You guys do realize this thread is almost a year old, right?
    Heh, yeah! Quit quoting me as a noob because I thought vorpals weren't all that great against gnolls in the desert a year ago!

Both my melees use vorpals now in the Shroud
    Quote Originally Posted by Teh_Troll View Post
    We are no more d000m'd then we were a week ago.
    Quote Originally Posted by Eth View Post
    When you stop caring about xp/min this game becomes really fun. Trust me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gary_Gygax
    No single character has all the skills and resources needed to guarantee success in all endeavors; favorable results can usually only be achieved through group effort. No single player character wins, in the sense that he or she defeats all other player characters; the goal of the forces of good can only be attained through cooperation, so that victory is a group achievement rather than an individual one.

Community Member

For my TWF Strength-based Tempest Ranger, my experience is that mobs die faster when dual-wielding wounding weapons (not w/p, unfortunately) rather than dual-wielding vorpals, in groups with at least one other melee character. This is just my opinion, and isn't based on anything more than my unscientific feelings. This is dependent on the Constitution scores of the mobs, of course.

I think this is because the wounding stacks with other melees doing straight damage. Also, casters who use spells with Fortitude saves also benefit. I'm sure that someone will correct me if I'm wrong.

With my Vorpals, I hardly do any damage, and it's kind of embarassing to be beating on a mob for what seems like forever, waiting for the 20 + confirm crit to process.

I've never tried to solo any higher end content to see if Wounding weapons kill faster than Vorpals. I actually rarely use my vorpals, except for the vampire in PoP. Maybe I just prefer consistency over the luck of the dice.

But after reading this thread, I kind of have an itch to go dual-vorpal stuff now.

Default ?

throwing out the non-vorpal situations and considering just the times you would use a vorp weapon; which TWF combo do you find to be most effective?

vorp/vorp + bloodstone/mentau's (ok obvious choice but the bloodstone is tough to pull)
    vorp/vorp
    vorp/+8 or +10 seeker
    vorp/paralyzer
    vorp/cursespewer

i use the vorp/vorp combo, but find i get nearly as many kills with the vorp/seeker combo. i nearly always use the vorp/para when soloing.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345