Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: vorpal tactics

Community Member

Default vorpal tactics

i just acquired a +1 vorpal falchion. it is the first weapon of its kind that ive had. for those of you with vorpal experience:

1) what creatures (specific to quest and difficulty) do you use it on?

2) what creatures (same) would you rather go straight damage on instead?

3) should i consider respecing to great cleave (have cleave alrdy) ?

4) does it require a confirm roll, like a crit, after i roll a 20? and if so, what can i do to help my chances (ill be around a +25 to hit w/out power attack)?

5) any other words of wisdom.

thanks for your time and have a great day.

Quote Originally Posted by superjubei View Post
    4) does it require a confirm roll, like a crit, after i roll a 20? and if so, what can i do to help my chances (ill be around a +25 to hit w/out power attack)?
    yes. basicamally just anymathing that boost you tohit will boost confirm roll. along with any seeker enhancemaments/gear, like say a bloodstone trinkamet from the desermert which give +6 to confirm crit.

Community Member

i just acquired a +1 vorpal falchion. it is the first weapon of its kind that ive had. for those of you with vorpal experience:

Vorpal is a situational weapon. Best used on mobs that take a long time to kill, primarily mobs that can heal themselves repeatedly, or high HP mobs when in a low DPS group.

Also, Vorpal is nice in a no win situation. On two occasions when it looked like an absolute wipe, I have popped out the vorpal and dropped 4 to 6 mobs in a matter of seconds. In both cases it was pure luck, however, only a vorpal could have saved a complete wipe. A quick rez ring click and the cleric was up and rezzing. Don't count on this as a strategy, but it is nice to be the hero now and then.

The enhancement Critical Accuracy along with the Bloodstone, or if you are lucky enough a +Seeker Vorpal weapon are all things that will add to the confirm rating of your existing +to hit.
    Guild Leader of Novus Via
    WWW.NOVUSVIA.ORG

Toons - Self Buff
    Katts Lvl 14 Fighter- 57AC 604HP
    Qahnie Lvl 14 Wizard- 40AC 188HP 1360SP
    Kytkat Lvl 12/2 Bard Rogue
    Ilesial Lvl 14 Cleric
    Snarr Lvl 14 Barbarian
    Kattoo Lvl 8/1 Claric/Paladin

Kattoo: No Seeker Vorpals exist. They're both prefixes, and you can only have one prefix.
    Person Æ, Sarlona
    Tanka Yomero (Human Hybrid) .:. Darani Yomero (Drow Sorcerer) .:. Yomero (WF Paladonk)

vorpals are basically for elite mobs with large amounts of hps. if u need more than 20 strikes to kill a mob then a vorpal is definitely the weapon to use here. on a roll of 20 and a successful confirm roll, the mob would be dead. i've been in 1 super run where my wf buddy used a vorpal longsword..... 6 consec mobs died on his 1st attack
    If you want to know why...

It works fantastic on the dwarves in relic on elite, knolls, dogs, any flesh creature with a head.
    Bosses or anything else immune to crit (puddings, slimes, bony undead, ghosts, wraiths, etc.), PvP since most people have heavy fort.,
    Respec to everything that increases crit hits or confirms, great cleave if you have the points after this.
    Yes, and not competely sure.
    Don't use it on quests where there are slimes or rust monsters ; ) In fact, put it in the bank when going on such quests, in case you hit the wrong button by accident.

I've never really understood why vorpals are so sought after...

I mean, most of them are +1 weapons that are vorpal... no other special effect...

And then they only auto-kill on a 20... so 1 out of every 20 swings...

So it seems a vorpal is pretty worthless against anything that you could kill in 19 swings or less with a more damaging weapon..

Which I would think would be most critters... Or maybe I don't realize how many swings it takes to kill a BAM dwarf or a desert gnoll... (I've never tried to count my swings on them)

Seems like I'd rather have a Greater Gnoll Bane weapon than a vorpal when fighting gnolls though... Or at least, they seem fairly equal in power to me... Even if the vorpal is a better weapon, is it really worth 10-20 times the price of the Greater Bane weapon in gold?

Why do people pay so much for them?
    Quote Originally Posted by Teh_Troll View Post
    We are no more d000m'd then we were a week ago. Note - This was posted in 10/2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Eth View Post
    When you stop caring about xp/min this game becomes really fun. Trust me.
    Quote Originally Posted by TedSandyman View Post
    Some people brag about how fast they finished the game. I cant think of a stupider thing to brag about. Or in this game, going from level 1 to level 30 in two days, or however long it takes. I can't even begin to imagine what drives a person to think that is fun. You are ignoring all of the content and options and going for sheer speed. It is like going to a museum and bragging about how fast you made it through. Or bragging about how fast you finished a good steak.

Quote Originally Posted by Thrudh View Post
    Or maybe I don't realize how many swings it takes to kill a BAM dwarf
    With my +5 flaming burst Kopesh and another fighter(both 12s) attacking the same dwarf it seems to take us about 3 rounds to kill one. That's 15 attacks each at a VERY high DPS. So on average a vorpal would kill it faster.
    Unbreakable

Bloodburn- 14 Sorceror
    Alisandra- 14 Fighter
    Kholrielle- 12 Cleric
    Finch- 8/2 Rogue/Paladin
    Cali- 5 Bard

"Okay, so the scariest environment imaginable. Thanks. That's all you gotta say, scariest environment imaginable."

Quote Originally Posted by kafromet View Post
    With my +5 flaming burst Kopesh and another fighter(both 12s) attacking the same dwarf it seems to take us about 3 rounds to kill one. That's 15 attacks each at a VERY high DPS. So on average a vorpal would kill it faster.
    Unless they're somehow immune to Crits, which most aren't (been in groups with one person wielding a Vorpal, dropped 'em faster with it than without).

One of my guildies dropped six ogres in a row in Ghola Fan, somewhere around three-four swings on each. Sometimes you roll that 20 more often than 5% of the time.
    Person Æ, Sarlona
    Tanka Yomero (Human Hybrid) .:. Darani Yomero (Drow Sorcerer) .:. Yomero (WF Paladonk)

Funny story, a guildie and i were running Relic, full run. We both have vorpals and when we approached the first two dwarves in the entrance tunnel, we each took a separate dwarf to fight. Both of us rolled 20's on our first swings and the two dwarves lay headless at the door alomst instantaniously. What are the odds of that happening?

Also, we did a full run of Relic in record time, since we actually had 3 vorpals in the group. We did roll some 20's and unfortunately failed to confirm or it would have been faster...
    Sparty

think of this toon.... twf L12 rgr with precision, 34 dex, slash specced, finesse and dual wielding vorpal kukris.... i tell ya... thats SICK!
    If you want to know why...

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Viza View Post
    It works fantastic on the dwarves in relic on elite, knolls, dogs, any flesh creature with a head.

Bosses or anything else immune to crit (puddings, slimes, bony undead, ghosts, wraiths, etc.), PvP since most people have heavy fort.,

Respec to everything that increases crit hits or confirms, great cleave if you have the points after this.

Yes, and not competely sure.

Don't use it on quests where there are slimes or rust monsters ; ) In fact, put it in the bank when going on such quests, in case you hit the wrong button by accident.
    Heavy fort wont stop the vorpal it will just stop the crit damage.

I was under the impression that a vorpal only works on a roll of natural 20. Is this true or is it on all crits?

Stormreach Advisor
    Founder

Quote Originally Posted by rabrams99 View Post
    I was under the impression that a vorpal only works on a roll of natural 20. Is this true or is it on all crits?
    Only a natural 20.
    DDOWiki - Sharing DDO knowledge
    I am currently inactive -- I may not answer pms, sorry!
    Personal message: ESO_tihocan1979_it_is_me

Default seeker question

hey, I was wondering if you were to duel wield a seeker and a vorpal. would the seeker bonus be used with the vorpal, or does the seeker just apply to the weapon its on?
    {_______________________Untouchable________________________}

{_Oxvon Oxbot Oxdoc Oxbeat Oxfu Oxton Unearth Deadbolt Daath Oxon Oxen_}

Stormreach Advisor
    Founder

Quote Originally Posted by GodTarik View Post
    hey, I was wondering if you were to duel wield a seeker and a vorpal. would the seeker bonus be used with the vorpal, or does the seeker just apply to the weapon its on?
    The seeker bonus should apply to the vorpal as well.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Aranticus View Post
    think of this toon.... twf L12 rgr with precision, 34 dex, slash specced, finesse and dual wielding vorpal kukris.... i tell ya... thats SICK!
    My fighter has a 30 strength, precision, slash feats, he's a dwarf so he has another +2 with axe attack. He duel weilds a vorp battle axe and a vorp kukri.

Quote Originally Posted by Tanka View Post
    Kattoo: No Seeker Vorpals exist. They're both prefixes, and you can only have one prefix.
    Then how do you explain my +4 Frost Flametouched Iron Rapier of Puncturing?

Quote Originally Posted by Citymorg View Post
    Then how do you explain my +4 Frost Flametouched Iron Rapier of Puncturing?
    Frost is the prefix. Flametouched Iron is what your rapier is made out of, instead of being standard steel or iron.
    Person Æ, Sarlona

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tanka View Post
    Frost is the prefix. Flametouched Iron is what your rapier is made out of, instead of being standard steel or iron.
    asbsolutely

That's why this +2 holyburst adamantine scimitar of righteousness is PERRRRFECT

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast