Hero
    Knight of Movember
    2014 DDO Players Council

Red face One of THOSE nights ...

Has anyone else had a night like this?

I was just heading out to the AH, not looking for adventure or trouble when I check out grouping, saw a a PUG looking to do Gwlans on elite. Looking for one player, a Rogue. Hey, I fit the bill, I am IN House P, haven't done Gwyan's on elite, could use the favor and xp, and the party has some good players I have seen before. I put in to join, they accept and I jump in. Great.

Walk over, get the quest. We have a couple of minutes to wait for others to catch up, np. I go get House P buffs, head back, we jump in.

Doing fine in the jungle, run out of arrows, auto re-load. I do not notice that I have auto "re-loaded" axiomatic arrows I have picked up from a chest (I am chaotic). I have this black exclamation point on my screen telling me bad things are going on and I am trying to figure out why (at this point I have not figured out it is the arrows).

Hit the ruins. Now, for those that don't know, this is a rogue's heaven - tons 'o traps. I can't find the first trap. I notice that I had NOT gone to the tavern to re-up my rogue boosts and I was out from the last adventure the night before (not like I didn't have the time, right?). Oops. 5 tries. Another party member, finds the trap and disables it (talk about embarrassing).

2nd trap, I find it after 4 tries (whew). I fail my first disable with a roll of 2 or 3. I am asked what is my DD - I have 24 DD without rogue boost (7th level, 5 rogue, 2 ranger). NP.

Next trap, find after another 3-4 tries. Go to DD and roll a 1. The trap does NOT critically fail (huh?) and I am able to DD it on 2nd try. Shrine, get my boosts back. I figure out the arrows - unequip them (after the group, rightfully, gets a good laugh). Ok, I am thinking the worst is over.

Enter Minotour boss temple. Party wipes at the entrance battling elven fighter/mages and priests, no one's fault in particular, just some bad luck on saves and we get picked off one by one. Some res out, some hold. I res out and realize I FORGOT to bind (not that I didn't have the time, right?). Mad at myself, I get back quickly, sell those damn arrows while eating some food.

OK, back in.

We re-group, great tactics the second time around. Head down to Minotaur boss. Draw out boss, battling, I can't hit a damn thing, trying to back-stab the boss. The boss swings and side-swipes me, crits me, dead.

NP, the group is doing well and holding their own, I move to the nearby shrine. The mage has also died and is doing the same. I am waiting to hit the res until the battle dies down a little more so I won't die immediately upon trying to rest as there are still creatures mulling about in the main room. The party is ok but could use some firewall, so mage res's, rests, np - so I do too. I am a little slower than him. The mage is in the main room standing at the doorway, facing into the hall and starts casting spells. He draws agro from 3-4 creatures still in the room and they head his way - I finish resting and go to back him up. Yell his way to watch out. I get there. 1 hit and am crtitted, again, dead. (Now, I am thinking, I have a 23 ac, I have mithril chain with hammerblock, uncanny dodge activated, light fortification, etc ... etc...) oh well.

Now I res out (as battle still wages and I have used the nearest shrine). If you can believe (I know, I know, you can) I forgot to $#@#$! bind in my previous haste to get back. I go bind, head back.

Group has ably (and humorously) adapted to being sans rogue.

Next trap - blades, then fire. Find blade box, DD. Find box for fire but keep activated (Keep fire on to draw creatures into). Feeling humiliated, I volunteer to be the shepherd and herd creatures to them through the fire trap. Agro first group bring 'em through, np. Head back, bringing in 2nd group, fire trap kills me.

Party kindly grabs my stone, back to shrine for res. Res, next boss, we make it through with little incident, get xp, quest "done" except we head back to end chest area. Now, there are multiple traps and monsters here, some traps can be disabled, some can't (the poison vents cannot).

Couple of minotaurs and what not hanging around, I hang back fighters are taking care of business. One creature gets through after killing or critting a fighter, I step up in front of casters, 1 hit from Minotaur, critted, I am dead, again.

Well, no shrines apparently left, I res out with fighter; we rest, head back and realize, with quest having ended, CANNOT get back in. Remaining party is ultimately unable to disarm traps, even with other party member with higher DD device than me. No chest. Time to go to bed and hide under the covers.

The whole party took the evening gracefully and with humor. I thank them, again. Has anyone else had a bad night like this?
    The evolution of DDO: Stormreach to Eberron Unlimited to Dungeons & Dragons Online
    -1- -2- -3- -4- -5- -6- -7- -8- -9- years & still spawning kobolds
    Who are the devs anyway? DDO Peeps Tracker

hhaa

a good read.

And yeah, I've been there too...

Just remember, it can get better form here. I think. Maybe. Mommy?
    |^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^| ||
    |.....ALE TRUCK......| ||'|";, ___.
    |_...._....._____===|=||_|__|..., ]
    "(@)'(@)"***|(@)(@)**''(@)
    _________________Thanks to Hunglo for the Ale Truck

Quote Originally Posted by tmdag4 View Post
    Well, no shrines apparently left, I res out with fighter; we rest, head back and realize, with quest having ended, CANNOT get back in. Remaining party is ultimately unable to disarm traps, even with other party member with higher DD device than me. No chest. Time to go to bed and hide under the covers.

The whole party took the evening gracefully and with humor. I thank them, again. Has anyone else had a bad night like this?
    For future reference, as long as party members are still in the quest, if you get your reward and retake the quest, you can re-enter.

Yes, I know this because I have had those nights Glad to hear you were with an understanding group!
    "Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, and it may be necessary from time to time to give a stupid or misinformed beholder a black eye." - Miss Piggy
    Someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back.~ Cpt. Mal Reynolds
    ~Peechie Keene~ THAC0

Just like Cpito mentioned. Get end reward and retake the quest, as long as someone is in there you will be able to get back in. I have been in parties while doing Tempest where one or more had to recall out and come back in after the big giant blew them off the platform.

P
    Xoriat Born
    DWAT
    Pixa 20 rogue, Healza 20 Cleric, Biteza 20 tempest ranger, Casstza 12 sorc, Singza 20 bard, Kickza 13 barb, Nodda 8 fvs