Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Attuny View Post
    I don't think the devs are trying to one-up us, I just think that they do not play test this game as much as we might think they do. Im sure they play there is no doubt there, but how much info can one group of people give? Im glad they are trying to adapt and keep players on thier toes, it just seems that in certain instances they are failing miserably.
    OK, saying the devs are trying to one-up us is kinda a glass is half-empty statement, I admit. But try this: Make a list of all the quests where some group of players actually came up with a "trick" that pretty much guaranteed success. I'm thinking of the ledge/firewall in BAM, the door/bb trick in demon queen 1, the ledge/archery in demon queen 2, the original "hide behind the rocks" in the dragon raid (only heard about that, wasn't playing then). In all cases those quests have been changed, usually making the "trick" obsolete. Now make a list of quests where there is definitely something aggravating (or "challenging" if that's your point of view) in a quest like the pillar thing in Von 6 or the endless respawns in some quests that arent linked to any logical causal explanation. Seems to me that THOSE quests have never been changed, so am I a pessimist or just seeing a pattern?

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by RobbinB View Post
    OK, saying the devs are trying to one-up us is kinda a glass is half-empty statement, I admit. But try this: Make a list of all the quests where some group of players actually came up with a "trick" that pretty much guaranteed success. I'm thinking of the ledge/firewall in BAM, the door/bb trick in demon queen 1, the ledge/archery in demon queen 2, the original "hide behind the rocks" in the dragon raid (only heard about that, wasn't playing then). In all cases those quests have been changed, usually making the "trick" obsolete. Now make a list of quests where there is definitely something aggravating (or "challenging" if that's your point of view) in a quest like the pillar thing in Von 6 or the endless respawns in some quests that arent linked to any logical causal explanation. Seems to me that THOSE quests have never been changed, so am I a pessimist or just seeing a pattern?
    You are exactly right and I think it's for one specific reason. Lack of play testing. The test server (when it's up and people actually play on it) is a good idea in theory. Not many people want to waste thier time there finding bugs, they would rather build thier characters. And of those few people playing on test and finding bugs how many do you think report tricks such as the ones you are talking about? Probably not many...Turbine hears about them when people brag about them on the boards.

I don't think your pesamistic at all and I totally agree there is a pattern. The only problem is no matter how hard they try the devs can and will NOT outsmart the players. They want to make adventures fun and challenging and it is a tight rope to walk. People are like water and will find the path of least resistance.

I must admit though in all the MMOs I have played I have seen more encounter changes here than anywhere else. This comes back to what I said before about play testing.
    Ghallanda (Attuny, Attuni, Harmonik)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12