Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by Hexum View Post
    I completely understand how it works. If you're telling me that the only people that plat farm are foreign, I'd like to see where you get your stats from.
    http://www.nytimes.com/2005/12/09/te...2dffde&ei=5089
    /TELL Tackilack ~ Tackalack ~ Taq ~ Heartattack ~ Scrooge

Finally, the proof that everyone is screaming for and no one (on either side of the argument) is willing to provide. It's irrelevant whether the plat farmers come from Eastern Europe, China, or your neighborhood.

It's brutally simple economics - there is a demand for a product, so an entrepreneurial type is willing to step in and supply it. What better place to do it than in China, where labor is massively plentiful and shamefully cheap?

Want this "service" to disappear? Stop buying and paying for it. Yeah, YOU. Stop buying plat, stop buying leveling services, stop buying vorpals and paralyzers and all that other stuff you can earn for yourself rather easily. I don't blame these Chinese and other guys who are merely filling a niche and making a profit; isn't that what capitalism is fundamentally all about?

I blame the idiots who keep shelling out their cash to feed their slovenly gaming habits.
    ----------
    mercenary not for hire

lol you do realize that not everyone selling an item on AH is a plat farmer? so a person loots their first Vorpal and has no plat and doesnt like it all that much so throws it on AH. bunch of his friends who dont knwo that much about vorpals cuz they never used one tell him it UbeR and he shoudl sell it for millions of plat. is he a plat farmer? you may be talking aabout soemone who is just confused about the price of a weapon he has never had. kinda harsh.

yesterday i was trying to sell some tomes in general chat cuz i didnt want to lose 1/3 of my money to AH. someone proceeded to repeatedly call me a plat farmer even though i was in a pug group and had been all night. You should learn that your talking about a plat farmer before calling someone one.

/troll =D

~kire

Quote Originally Posted by Kire View Post
    lol you do realize that not everyone selling an item on AH is a plat farmer?

yesterday i was trying to sell some tomes in general chat cuz i didnt want to lose 1/3 of my money to AH. someone proceeded to repeatedly call me a plat farmer even though i was in a pug group and had been all night. You should learn that your talking about a plat farmer before calling someone one.
    Yeah, you are a spammer not a farmer... I hate people who just spam out trade requests in general chat all the time...

I just post up things at high prices since someone may actually need it right away and pay that amount (of course that is probably why I have all these banishing croxssows in the bank )

Community Member

The auction house is a waste of time and effort and it's a shame they even put the thing in the game to begin with.

Millions upon millions of plat for a bunch of junk.

I don't own and a vorpal and I've never even pulled a Muckbane, but I still wouldn't bother using the auction house.
    Khyber (Formerly of Aundair)
    Keepers of the Arcane

Kendon Dorak - Level 5 Elven Rogue / Level 3 Fighter / Level 2 Ranger
    Aguila Rohan - Level 11 Human Paladin
    Senshi Silverbane - Level 5 Human Cleric / Level 1 Fighter
    Supremo Swashbuckler - Level 8 Drow Spellsinger Bard
    Ignacio Wolfbane - Level 5 Dwarven Fighter

Quote Originally Posted by Cliffopold View Post
    I blame the idiots who keep shelling out their cash to feed their slovenly gaming habits.
    /Hoping there's room for humor here before it escalates to open warfare....

But, ummm, *I* am one of those idiots shelling out cash to feed my gaming habit. $15 at a time.

/Hears a few pity chuckles from the back of the room.
    Okay, everyone has an off day.
    CEO - Cupcake's Muskateers, Thelanis
    DDO Freebies ____ Monster Manual

Quote Originally Posted by cdbd3rd View Post
    /Hoping there's room for humor here before it escalates to open warfare....

But, ummm, *I* am one of those idiots shelling out cash to feed my gaming habit. $15 at a time.

/Hears a few pity chuckles from the back of the room.
    Okay, everyone has an off day.
    I should have clarified: your gaming habit, in this instance, is your $15/month. Feeding it would be anything additional, e.g. paying for plat.

Who am I to judge? I already canceled my sub. Just observing the events post-server merge for signs of reinvigoration and a reason to come back.
    ----------
    mercenary not for hire

Just as a point... and stepping back slightly to acknowledge I have not done this on DDO, nor has anyone I've known, nor do I see any reason to. In other games, where sometimes you had to spend upwards of 6 hours (18+ in some cases) "camping" a particular point just to have a shot at one spawn of a particular mob, it does not surprise, bother, upset, or in any other way impact me negatively that someone who works 40-60 hours a week, and has a full family, might be able to play the 2-3 hours every other day to build his character up, but not the 6-18 hours on a weekend day to get that piece of rare loot, or to farm cash for buying that rare item he can't seem to loot on his own.

Sure, plat farming roughs up the economy, and sure the spam is obnoxious. I don't think there are any cases in DDO that make the purchase of plat reasonable, or in anyway necessary for even the most casual player. However, I do feel it necessary to point out that there are people, and situations that are exceptions to every rule, and this is one I wish people were a little less vehement about.

Kill the spam, that interferes with my enjoyment of the game. Kill the inflation, that makes life excessively difficult for the casual player that doesn't buy plat. Don't crucify someone for trying to maximize their enjoyment without impinging on other parts of their life.

Vox

*ducks the ensuing flamage*

Quote Originally Posted by Vox View Post
    Kill the spam, that interferes with my enjoyment of the game. Kill the inflation, that makes life excessively difficult for the casual player that doesn't buy plat. Don't crucify someone for trying to maximize their enjoyment without impinging on other parts of their life.
    Well stated.

Quote Originally Posted by Vox View Post
    Sure, plat farming roughs up the economy, and sure the spam is obnoxious. I don't think there are any cases in DDO that make the purchase of plat reasonable, or in anyway necessary for even the most casual player. However, I do feel it necessary to point out that there are people, and situations that are exceptions to every rule, and this is one I wish people were a little less vehement about.

Don't crucify someone for trying to maximize their enjoyment without impinging on other parts of their life.

*ducks the ensuing flamage*
    /FLAME ON

If you don't play that often, you aren't going to be high level and thus don't need uber items (unless you pay someone to level up your character - which I can never understand how you can get enjoyment from that?). I have seen "bought accounts" and those guys typically suck at playing high level quests, which directly affects me since I do PuG alot.

As someone who has played from the start, you might understand the fun of pulling your own uber items (vs. those who just buy it). How is that "earning" it? I remember how happy I was to get my Frostbrand (and I wasn't high enough level to use it!). I know there are people who buy (steal) a game and get the cheat for the game then run thru it as fast as they can. In my mind, that is not playing the game but they enjoy it. But I digress as that is just play style.

The plat farmers are also trying to "control" the market by artifically putting items up for auction at high plat, thus driving people to have to buy plat to get the items (Yes, they are that smart to know the economics). In a typical market, new people will check the existing rate that items are posted for and post for around that much (perceived fair market value). How is that fair to the casual game who earned their plat?

My finale: When a game prohibits things such as selling accounts / items, it should be stopped! This is like kids who save up their money buying candy and the lazy (too busy to earn it in your example) kids just steal it (it is against the rules). The other kids who are following the rules get "punished" indirectly as the shop owner must now raise the prices of his stock (yes this seems exaggerated, but it does happen in the real world).

/FLAME OFF
    Last edited by Dark_Helmet; 08-09-2007 at 04:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dark_Helmet View Post
    /FLAME ON

If you don't play that often, you aren't going to be high level and thus don't need uber items (unless you pay someone to level up your character - which I can never understand how you can get enjoyment from that?). I have seen "bought accounts" and those guys typically suck at playing high level quests, which directly affects me since I do PuG alot.
    While I actually agree with the rest of your post, D_H, I would like to call you out on the broad overstatement quoted. As a 3-4 hour a week player, I can tell you that you can be high level. Look at my sig. It may only be one character, but he's there, and always capped. I have deleted and remade about a half dozen other characters, none of whom I advanced past 7th level, most to 4th. I have actually remade Kaja 3 times, about to be a 4th. I started in prelaunch. My equipment is reasonable, but not generally uber, and I would really like some more "uber" - because uber items do help. The best items I have are a POPX that I pulled out of TS, and a Ring of Ancestors that I pulled on my very first run of Ghola Fan (and I'm neutral - what a kick in the pants!). I just got my first paralyzer the other day because a guildie was so surprised that I didn't have one, that he gave me one of his. I don't have a single +6 stat item, I have never pulled a tome, but did trade for one; and I don't have anything that starts with the word mithril. I do trade to the best of my abilities (Thanks Capstern - for always being fair). But, I don't buy plat, I didn't buy my character, and I don't suck at high level quests (no matter what everyone else says - La la la, fingers in ears ). So, for all of us part-timers out there, please avoid the gross generalizations.

/FLAME ON

As someone already pointed out... you are in error with this particular generalization...

As someone who has played from the start, you might understand the fun of pulling your own uber items (vs. those who just buy it). How is that "earning" it? I remember how happy I was to get my Frostbrand (and I wasn't high enough level to use it!). I know there are people who buy (steal) a game and get the cheat for the game then run thru it as fast as they can. In my mind, that is not playing the game but they enjoy it. But I digress as that is just play style.
    Hmmm... not sure what your point is here exactly but let me see if I can translate to MMO terms... someone who buys high end items is "stealing" the game and running through it as fast as they can? So in essence, people who are running high end quests with uber loot aren't really playing the game at that point? I'm pretty sure no matter what items I have, I'm playing the game... might just be the end game but I'm still playing it.

The plat farmers are also trying to "control" the market by artifically putting items up for auction at high plat, thus driving people to have to buy plat to get the items (Yes, they are that smart to know the economics). In a typical market, new people will check the existing rate that items are posted for and post for around that much (perceived fair market value). How is that fair to the casual game who earned their plat?
    Did you read my whole post? I'm pretty sure I expressed my issues with inflation. I'm not defending plat farming as a whole, or for that matter even in part. My defense was purely of those people who are endeavoring to squeeze a little more enjoyment out of their free time. So far all you've done is point out that the fault of inflation lies with the plat farmers not the customers, thanks for making my point.

My finale: When a game prohibits things such as selling accounts / items, it should be stopped! This is like kids who save up their money buying candy and the lazy (too busy to earn it in your example) kids just steal it (it is against the rules). The other kids who are following the rules get "punished" indirectly as the shop owner must now raise the prices of his stock (yes this seems exaggerated, but it does happen in the real world).

/FLAME OFF
    *yawn* man... when I buy a game I subscribe to the RolePlayers Golden Rule... "These Rules Are /JUST/ a Guideline"... I know... this isn't a roleplaying game, got it. so what. Ever play Monopoly with cash on Free Parking? Ever play any variant to any game ever? *shrug* same thing in my opinion. Look, I know why MMOs prohibit etc. etc. I'm not saying it's right, but I'll go again to your own words. They prohibit "selling" the onus here is on the farmer. My defense was of the purchaser, and is still valid.

Look, if you want to flame me on this issue do two things. One, /READ/ my posts. I really dislike having to repeat myself, or refer to my previous post as already addressing your reply to it. Two, try to understand the point of view presented in my post, and either attack that particular point of view directly, or undermine it with alternatives that are less harmful, but achieve similar results. Simply put, plat farming sucks. But there are acceptable reasons in some cases for people to be customers of such services. If you're going to attack farming, that's fine, it sucks, I agree. If you're going to attack the customer base, consider that not everyone's situation is the same as yours.

Vox

Stupid Double Post...;P

Vox

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12