Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thanks guys, this is awesome
    Anyways, a moon got destroyed? How'd that happen?
    ~Argonnessen~
    -----------------
    Quote Originally Posted by Fel Whisper
    You, sir, are an evil genius.

Stormreach Advisor
    Founder

Q: I would like to know more about elves and the Undying Court.

A: The original elves were living in very primitive tribes when the Giant Empire began to capture and enslave them. They did benefit in some ways from the accelerated pace of their civilization and magical development, but ultimately they were still slaves, and the giants used them both for suicidally dangerous work and even sacrificed them to power magic rituals. One elf, Aeren, managed to pick up on the principles of the necromantic blood magic from observing his giant master. Over time, he secretly taught other elves, and they planned a revolt. They succeeded enough that they were able to flee to the subcontinent that is now known as Aerenal. Aeren actually sacrificed himself with his own blood magic, but was able to use that power to provide protection for his people, and to transform himself into the first Undying. Over time, a city was built on a manifest zone to Irian (positive energy), where more Undying were created. The Undying councilors as a collective make up the Undying Court, and are the spiritual center of the Aerenal elves. It is the highest dream of most to become Undying, even if it's just as an undying soldier to protect the City of the Dead. Some even use alchemical treatments to give themselves deathlike looks in life, including pale grey skin or skull-like tattoos over their faces.

The Valenar elves are an offshoot that believe it isn't those who effected the escape that should be venerated, but the warriors who stayed behind and died to allow the others to live. Each Valenar elf has a ancestor that she tries to emulate and honor in valorous combat. They live the life of horse nomads in the deserts of southeast Khorvaire, and in fact their horses are considered to be spiritually connected to them as well - they've even declared eternal war on House Vadalis for an attempt to steal a few of the fine Valenar steeds to use as breeding stock. Valenar prefer shortbows to long, as they may be fired from horseback, and prefer scimitars and other curved blades over longswords or rapiers.

Khorvaire elves and "Urban" elves are those that have lived in the human nations so long that they identify more with their nation than they do with their racial history, and are integrated with the cultures of those nations. House Phiarlan left Aerenal after the destruction of House Vol, because they felt it was in their best interests to distance themselves from the culture that had just turned on the other dragonmarked elves. House Thuranni is a recent offshoot of Phiarlan, so they are Khorvaire Elves as well.

The Drow may be considered elves or a seperate race. It is not known for certain if they occured naturally; some evidence suggests that they were created as a result of giants trying to perfect the elves to serve as better troops. There are different drow cultures, which MysticTheurge has covered already. They tend to view other elves as weak for fleeing their homeland instead of attempting to stand and fight the giants until one or both were destroyed.
    Last edited by Thanatos; 10-11-2006 at 09:26 AM.
    If an autoimmune disease kills me, is that involuntary suicide?

Default Awesome!

I just found this today and have to say that it is truly awesome --I know the amount of work it takes to create something like this and maintain it --Thank you a million - it is a GREAT idea!

Stormreach Advisor
    Founder

Quote Originally Posted by Sem34
    The 13th Dragon Mark (Mark of Death) was not cast out... but completely destroyed.... by both the dragons and the Elves. The only known bearer of the 13th Mark is Lady Vol. unless you read the novels... a young elf now has the mark of death.
    Cast down... as in defeated in combat and executed. Maybe I shouldn't have tried to put it poetically, but I was paraphrasing the words of Alder d'Cannith, the visionary that founded The Twelve. I know the Vol line wasn't just exiled.

I'm not sure that the novels count as offical setting material, so I left that out. A big change like the possible ressurection of the Mark of Death is something I'd consider to be part of that specific version of Eberron, kind of like how another DM's game events aren't going to change the world in mine.

What are mind flayers doing in Ebberon and how do they relate to the Quori?
    Ghallanda: Vilas, Alphon, Whelm, Thaylan, Tyclmi, Amgine, Talc, Dedlee, Payle, Darell, Talenta, Zhen, Thrane, Arrith, Durdyn, Magefyre, Necrophil, Tulgey, Borogove, Hasugi, Shawal, Hailestorm, Branthan, Lightningbug, Bettercall, Elecktric, Zardu, Zergworthy, Missadventer, Bytemy (30) Sarlona: (7) Cannith: (2)

Q. What are mind flayers doing in Eberron and how do they relate to the Quori?

A. They don't actually. The mind flayers, along with most other creatures of the Abberation type were created by the Daelkyr, extra-planar lords of madness who inhabit Xoriat.

At some point in the relatively-recent past (at least compared with the Giant Empires), the Daelkyr attempted to invade Eberron as well. The Daelkyr possess immense power to reshape the world around them, and many delighted their insanities by experimenting on the local populace. Chokers, for instance, were halflings before the daelkyr got their hands on them.

The Mind Flayers were some of their more powerful lieutenants during the war.

Eventually, the invasion was turned back by the Dhakaani Empire, a powerful nation of goblinoids, in coalition with the Gatekeepers, a sect of then-orcish druids who had been taught the magic needed to seal the planar gateways by the black dragon, Vvaraak. However, many of the Daelkyr, and their creations remained trapped in Khyber, sealed away through a series of spells and the power of Khyber Dragonshards, which are associated with the powers of binding.

Psionic power in Eberron generally comes from powerful emotions or untapped subconcious potential. The main places we see this is in those related to Madness and Dreams, namely the Daelkyr and their creations, and the Kalashtar and the Quori.
    Last edited by MysticTheurge; 10-11-2006 at 09:04 PM.
    Have a question about the Eberron Setting?
    Ask a Loremaster.

Craniums up those of answering - we need to avoid quoting the book if at all possible. I am guessing that WoTC reads these Forums. Linking to other sources (wikipedia fx) is probably a good idea there.

If there is a legal type person from an official source who can give us clear direction, please do.

Vol

She is still around and is a very powerful person - she has an entire religion dedicated to her, with the fanatical joining the Emerald Claw. The undead that are roaming around Stormreach, probably one of her pawns. My characters really need to stop going to give that Vampire in House J items - he smells of Vol. Most Khorvaire Vampires were at some time (before becoming Vampires at the very least) followers of Vol or powerful enemy agents worth turning to her cause.

Just some more fun Vol info.
    Have a question about the Eberron Setting lore?
    Ask a Loremaster

D&D is not balanced because it is about the party and having fun. DDO should also be about the party and having fun.

PCs
    Adar
    - Aejar Bear (Brelish Warforged Heavy Infantry Commander) [Pal 11]
    - Nebik Bear (Brelish Warforged Support Mage) [Wiz 3]

Q. Tell me about the Gods.

A. People have covered them pretty well so far, but there's something rather important to note, that no one's really brought up yet.

Gods in Eberron are much less involved than those in other settings. In fact, their actual existance is uncertain. Unlike in, say, the Forgotten Realms, where Gods pop in every now and then to chat with their followers, no one in Eberron has actually seen, or even talked to the Gods.

Spells that would normally contact your God instead put you in touch with high-level outsiders who, in theory, serve your god. A cleric of Boldrei who casts Commune doesn't actually speak to Boldrei, but rather a powerful Archon who can answer her questions.

Q. Tell me about the Religions and Guilds.

A. People have covered most of the religions as well.

As for Guilds, aside from the Dragonmarked Houses, there aren't really many. The Houses have a sort of monopoly on much of the economy. There may be other, unaffiliated craftsmen, but the Houses are the only real organized economic force.

Q. Tell me about Famous People.

A. That's a pretty open-ended question but I'll try to name a few.

King Boranel ir'Wynarn rules Breland and was a major force for peace and advocate of the warforged at the Treaty of Thronehold.

Queen Aurala ir'Wynarn rules Aundair and though she advocates peace as well, she still longs to unite the former nation of Galifar under her rule.

King Kaius ir'Wynarn III is the current ruler of Karnnath, he regrets having forged an alliance with the Blood of Vol and seeks to regain control of his nation.

Oargev ir'Wynarn is the last remining member of the royal house of Cyre, and leads his former nation in exile from New Cyre, in Breland.

Queen Diani ir'Wynarn rules Thrane in name only, the nations is truly ruled by the Church of the Silver Flame

Jaela is the twelve-year-old Keeper of the Flame, leader of the Church of the Silver Flame. She seeks to reform the church to be more modern and accepting, but there are factions within the church, namely led by the Cardinal Krozen who wish to keep to more traditional ways.

House Cannith is currently split, since the main leaders of the House were in Cyre on the day of Mourning. Barron Merrix d'Cannith leads Cannith South based out of Sharn, while Baron Jorlana d'Cannith leads Cannith West from Fairhaven in Aundair and Baron Zorlan d'Cannith leads Cannith East from from an enclave in Korth.

House Tharashk is lead by a triumvirate of leaders, representing the old clans, Daric d'Velderan, Khundar'aasta and Maagrim d'Tharashk.

The other Barons are Baron Kwanti d'Orien, Baron Trelib d'Medani, Baron Morrikan d'Kundarak, Baron Elar d'Thuranni, Baron Yoren d'Ghallanda, Baron Breven d'Deneith, Baron Ulara d'Jorasco, Baron Esravash d'Lyrandar, Baron Elvinor Elorrenthi d'Phiarlan, Baron Lysse Lyrriman d'Sivis, and Baron Dalin d'Vadalis.

The leader of the Wardens of the Wood, a sect of druid that essentially leads the disparate farmers and fronteirsman of the Eldeen Reaches, is the Great Oak Oalian. And yes, he really is an Awakened oak tree.

The Circle of Night is made up of the up the most powerful of the Inspired and is led by the Devourer of Dreams who leads the agents of the Dreaming Dark.

The ancient lich Erandis d'Vol is the last, well not living, but active member of the House of Vol, and now leads the the religion the Blood of Vol, from behind the scenes.

The Daughters of Sora Kell are three powerful Hags who rule of the monster-nation of Droaam. Sora Katra is a green hag who acts as the voice for the trio. Sora Maenya is a annis hag who leads the sisters troops in battle. Sora Teraza is a dusk hag prophet, who dispenses cryptic advice even when dealing with her sisters.

Mordain the Fleshweaver is an outcast elven wizard. Once a member of the Twelve he was cast out for the unorthodox experiments that gave him his name.

The Lord of Blades is a mysterious warforged who believes in warforged supremacy and seeks to create a nation of living constructs in the remnants of Cyre.

The Lhesh Haruuc hopes to return the tribes of Darguun to the former glory of the Dhakaani Empire.

The Sibling Kings of Aerenal, Belaereth and Tezaera, hold temporal power over the island continent, while the Undying Court shapes the destiny of the elves, by selecting, advising and empowering the rulers.

Lathon Halpum leads one of the largest Halfling tribes in the Talenta Plains and so many of the other Laths defer to him, that he was selected to represent the Plains at the Treaty of Thronehold.

King Sebastes ir'Kesslan rules Q'barra in a fuedal system like old Galifar. The grandson of the nation's founder, Sebastes rules from Newthrone, though in many places the dispensation of justice falls to the local lord or magistrate.

One thing to note about Eberron is the setting is designed to allow the PCs to be the real heroes of the story, which means there aren't a lot of very powerful hero-types. Most of the more powerful good guys are very limited in some way, from Oalian who is a high powered druid but utterly immobile, to Jaela who is a low-level cleric except within the confines of Flamekeep where she's empowered by the Silver Flame. This leaves the PCs free to actually fulfill the role of Heroes, rather than being sent to perform (apparently menial) tasks by other more powerful (epic level) good guys.
    Last edited by MysticTheurge; 10-10-2006 at 09:44 PM.
    Ask a Loremaster.

New Mexico, where chupacabra's everywhere.

Quote Originally Posted by Metalheadlawyer

Going beyond that, most settings don't bother to explain where the various races "came from", or to suggest that they came from some other world. There are a few exceptions. I know in Forgotten Realms, it has been made clear that, at some point in the very distant past, some (but not all) of the elves emigrated to Faerun from another plane or world. But this happened so long ago that they have long been considered "natives" to Faerun. Other than that, there hasn't been much discussion of why folks in different worlds are so similar, largely b/c none of the "worlds" acknowledges the existence of any other.
    I think it was in one of the 2nd ed supplimental books was that each race in D&D had a source world where they were the predominant sentience and from there they migrated to other worlds either by magic or ships ala Spelljammer so they had some main commonalities with some occasional deviations here and there.

Greyhawke was concidered the closest to the 'base'.
    I'd rather laugh with the sinners than cry with the saints.

Q. Anyways, a moon got destroyed? How'd that happen?

Q. There are currently twelve moons that orbit Eberron, with one additional moon being lost or destroyed.

Exactly how the thirteenth moon was destroyed is unclear, but it likely occured in one of the great cataclysms that ended an age (I think the Age of Giants, but I'll have to check).

Keith Baker, the setting's creator, wrote a free, online article about the moons, that is definitely worth a read.

One interesting thing to note, is that on Eberron, a Lycanthrope is affected by the "full moon" state of all twelve moons. Meaning there are months where she's never unaffected and others where she's only unaffected for 3-4 days. This is a large part of the reason for the Lycanthropic Puge, an inquisition led by the Church of the Silver Flame in an effort to wipe the disease of Lycanthropy off the face of Khorvaire.

Certain fanatics in the time of the purge also sought to wipe out the Shifter race, who, while seemingly descended from Lycanthropes, are incapable of passing the disease though wounds or bites and therefore pose no real threat. This resulted in some very real discord between many Shifters and the Church of the Silver Flame.
    Last edited by MysticTheurge; 10-11-2006 at 09:04 PM.
    Ask a Loremaster.

Q. Is it true that the war ended around two years or so ago?

The suggested starting date for an Eberron campaign is 998 YK. The Treaty of Thronehold was signed in 996 YK. So yes, generally the war eneded "two years ago."

That said, any DM can set their campaign in any year they'd like, and it's unclear from what I've seen in DDO exactly when our "campaign" is set. It remains likely however that we're using the suggested starting date and so the war would have ended two years ago.
    Ask a Loremaster.

Quote Originally Posted by D3x2006
    Craniums up those of answering - we need to avoid quoting the book if at all possible. I am guessing that WoTC reads these Forums. Linking to other sources (wikipedia fx) is probably a good idea there.
    I'd like to point this out to those of you helping to answer.

It's very important to me that we avoid quoting the source books and that we also avoid providing too much rules information, as that puts us in the distinct position of potentially infringing on copyrights.

The goal of the thread is to give people enough background that they're able to feel immersed in what they're playing, but at the same time it's important that we don't give out information that might act as a selling point for the books.

To that end, I would greatly appreciate it if anyone answer questions would refrain from quoting any sourcebooks directly. I would also appreciate it if we stick to background information and avoid providing rules information (for instance when talking about gods, it's alright to give their general portfolios, but avoid giving their actual Domains or Favored Weapons).
    Ask a Loremaster.

Born in City of Towers, now living in Stormreach

Quote Originally Posted by Thanatos
    Cast down... as in defeated in combat and executed. Maybe I shouldn't have tried to put it poetically, but I was paraphrasing the words of Alder d'Cannith, the visionary that founded The Twelve. I know the Vol line wasn't just exiled.

I'm not sure that the novels count as offical setting material, so I left that out. A big change like the possible ressurection of the Mark of Death is something I'd consider to be part of that specific version of Eberron, kind of like how another DM's game events aren't going to change the world in mine.

Completely agree with you Thanatos... I do wonder if Keith Baker is going to bring the 13th Mark in to Eberron, hmmm I wonder if the RPGA will send me a mod on this in the future???
    formerly Riedra now Khyber
    Red Gauntlet Regiment(Co-Founder)
    Here since 9/26/05 "Alpha" (when female characters had thongs )

i'd like to know more about "shifters" ?

Born in City of Towers, now living in Stormreach

Shifters:

Are Descended from humans and natural Lycanthropes. unlike full Lycanthropes they can not change shape fully. They can however take on a animalistic features, they call this shifting. They are also know as "the Weretouched" The shifters are heavily influenced by their animal natures and this affects their personality and behavior .

During 832YK an Inquisition to complelety wipe out all traces of lycanthropes was launced by the beloved (lol) Church of the Silver Flame... this inquisition lasted almost 50 years and almost wipes the lycanthropes to extinction...
    formerly Riedra now Khyber
    Red Gauntlet Regiment(Co-Founder)
    Here since 9/26/05 "Alpha" (when female characters had thongs )

Stormreach Advisor
    Founder

Quote Originally Posted by jwbarry
    Great idea, kudos!
    Thanks, and thank you for the sticky (or pass on my thanks to whomever is responsible)!

Quote Originally Posted by Tous
    Wow! Great Idea!
    I have the Eberron manuals and would be delighted if could assist in any way.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gaunter
    If there is one more loremaster needed...please let me know. Will throw out as much as I can on any of the topics that I do have research material on.
    More help is, well... helpful!

Just PM MysticTheurge to sign up, as he's the lead Loremaster. (I figured he has the most ranks in "Knowledge: Eberron" out of any of the forum regulars, so I asked him to start things off. )

One reason for this is because someone may eventually make a significant mistake in one of their answers, and rather than have us call it out here in the thread, it would be better to handle it behind the scenes through PMs and allow the person to edit their answer.

Also, it would be helpful for the Loremasters to add a link to the thread in their sig, to help spread the word that the service is available.

Quote Originally Posted by Viglin
    Now this is one of the best things lve seen posted in sometime.
    I for one have the feeling of "l just dont feel alive in this world"...because l know so little about it and its history to play off.
    Thank you Mystic and your fellow Loremasters
    Quote Originally Posted by Mauvais
    I have to agree with Viglin.
    The background adds to the richness of the game. Having to read it in some dialogue box when the rest of the party is already in the mission is not nearly as accessible.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hendrik
    Five stars for the OP!
    Quote Originally Posted by angelius
    this is all very interesting and should be a "sticky" ..dev's?
    Quote Originally Posted by Tashun
    Wow, and Thank you for doing this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Magehound
    Thank you from an old pnp player. I do not have time to buy the rule books and read them anymore , so this thread really comes in handy.
    So thank you, thank you, thank you.
    Quote Originally Posted by darkrhavyn
    I just found this today and have to say that it is truly awesome --I know the amount of work it takes to create something like this and maintain it --Thank you a million - it is a GREAT idea!
    I figured that there were quite a few people that would like to make their characters "roleplay friendly" with the setting, and some that might have been prejudging Eberron based on scant information. Hopefully this project will help people have a little more fun than the game mechanics alone provide.

Quote Originally Posted by Tibbar
    See, now you've gone and made me have to buy the source books. I've been trying to avoid it, but now I find I simply must know everything I can about the setting. Curse you and thanks for the information.
    That's always good! If you can, try to support your local gamestore (many are also comics stores, so try looking them up that way). As much as we all love DDO, we want the tabletop RPGs to be around forever too.

Quote Originally Posted by MysticTheurge
    It's very important to me that we avoid quoting the source books and that we also avoid providing too much rules information, as that puts us in the distinct position of potentially infringing on copyrights.
    The goal of the thread is to give people enough background that they're able to feel immersed in what they're playing, but at the same time it's important that we don't give out information that might act as a selling point for the books.
    I agree, and I was planning on coming on this morning to say that we shouldn't post game mechanics, as the only ones that are free content are those in the SRD documents (http://www.opengamingfoundation.org/), and we definately shouldn't quote entire passages of setting material.

Paraphrase whenever you can, but I think giving names of key subjects and the occasional line or two of quoted material should be ok as "fair use", since one of the goals of this project is to spark further interest in the campaign for people that might like to play the tabletop version (you don't have to wait to play a gnome artificer or a shifter druid! )
    Last edited by Thanatos; 10-11-2006 at 10:38 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by angelius
    i'd like to know more about "shifters" ?
    Shifters have lycanthropy in their ancestry to some degree or another and are sometimes called "weretouched" as a result. Just like their lycanthrope ancestor(s), they're affected by a curse that has to do with moon phases, and with 12 moons in Eberron's sky (see earlier post on this subject), their curse is not a regular, totally predictable thing. Since they aren't full lycanthropes, they aren't completely at the mercy of their curse and can consciously control their "shift" towards a more feral nature and structure; it isn't entirely at will and can only happen for certain lengths of time and a certain number of times per day (often dependent on feats), but they can actually choose to shift if they haven't exhausted their day's shifts already.

Some shifters have a natural affinity for toughness, some for swiftness, some for sheer savagery, etc. - none of which endear them to adherents of the Silver Flame (see earlier post that mentions the Purge, where the Silver Flame and like-minded people nearly exterminated the lycanthropes and much of the shifter race). There are actually communities of shifters, one shifter being the natural choice for an understanding neighbor for another shifter - they tend to keep to themselves, wisely in the face of widespread hatred and misunderstanding - where they can "be themselves" and not necessarily have to control their shifting as rigorously.

If there is a legal type person from an official source who can give us clear direction, please do.
    Legally you simply need to quote your source if you are not paraphrasing.

What are the novels to read? My library (Kansas City Public) it seems is only good at keeping stocked fantasy books by R.A. Salvatore. I have only found one book by Keith Baker. Are there more? Are there different authors?

Thanks. Great Thread.

ColsonJade

Q. I'd like to know more about "shifters."

A. Shifters are one of the new races introduced with the Eberron Campaign Setting. Sometimes called the "Weretouched," they are the result of Lycanthrope/Human interbreeding far back in the line. Current Shifters "breed true," that is Shifters come from other shifters, not from a Lycanthrope/Human pairing. (A curious aside is that many of the half-elves in Khorvaire are this way as well, particularly the bloodlines of the half-elf Dragonmarked Houses.)

Shifters are unable to completely alter their form, the way their lycanthrope ancestors could, but each one is able to "shift." While shifted, a Shifter takes on a more animalistic appearance and is more powerful than his unshifted form. There are six main types of shifters distinguished by their "Shifter Trait." These are Beasthide, Longtooth, Cliffwalk, Razorclaw, Longstride and Wildhunt shifters. (Further Eberron supplements added additional shifter traits such as Dreamsight, Gorebrute, Swiftwing and Truedive.)

Each different trait dictates how the shifter's abilities improve while shifted, as generally described by their shifter trait. Longtooth and Razorclaw shifters gain bite and claw attacks respectively. Longstride shifters move faster. Beasthide shifters gain a thicker skin.

Even when they aren't shifted, Shifters bear some animalistic qualities. Their bodies often have a lithe nature to them, and the bearing of a large predator. They often move like animals, crouched and springing ahead or around their companions as they travel. Their faces often have animalistic undertones, large, piercing eyes and wide, flat noses. They are also, on average, hairier than humans. They don't have fur, but their body hair is thicker than a humans and grows longer.

As befits their animalistic nature, many shifters avoid highly civilized areas, preferring to dwell in the wild areas of nations such as the Eldeen Reaches. Many also continue to blame the Church of the Silver Flame for the atrocities heaped upon the shifter race during the Lycanthropic Purge by certain fanatics.
    Ask a Loremaster.

Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast