Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default Battle Of The Bards

Battle of The Bards
    Hosted by Musicman The Infamous Flaming Vagabond

The 5th Battle of the Bards event will take place @ approximately 8pm EST on Sunday July 20, 2008 on the stage inside the House Phiarlan Foyer.
    (The entrance to the House Phiarlan Foyer is next to the mailbox and favor representative).

What it is:
    The Battle of the Bards is a competition amongst bards to see who is the best bard on Thelanis. Though it is a competition it is not very competitive and should have a rather light hearted and fun demeanor. A number of bards who sign up in advance to share their original work via general chat will have the chance to be crowned Thelanis' Champion Bard.

Entry Information:
    Contestants must be prepared with 1 original song with a title. The song may be DDO based or not, but it must be original work. The song could even be about wasting time at work, chasing the lassies about, even how writing songs is difficult for you, out drinking a dwarf, or anything else your imagination creates.
    [parodies of popular tunes are welcome & often easier to write.]

Contestants who are not bards may enter and perform so long as they are accompanied by a bard. In other words, Bard and Singer duos are permitted to compete!! In addition, if a bard is in a duo, they may also perform a solo act granted they have different material!

Contestants must submit their desire to participate at least 24 hours in advance of the event. Either send a Forum PM or In-game mail to Musicman. Make sure that I send a response confirming your registration – if it’s been a couple of days and you have no response from me, you should attempt again. The sooner you register the easier you make this for me.

As an Added Bonus, all Contestants will receive a free meal (Tasty Ham & Ghallanda Distallate) upon checking in with Musicman on the day of the competition. If your Bard is a Warforged please inform me so that I may feed you Kargon's Ham instead.

Double check the[http://forums.ddo.com/showpost.php?p=1771924&postcount=49"] BotB#5 Bard Roster[/url] to ensure I've signed you up!

The Contest:
    The contest will begin shortly after 7pm EST on Saturday February 23, 2008. It is to be held within the House Phiarlan Foyer (the entrance is between the mailbox and favor representative). Upon arriving at the location, seek out Musicman and check-in with him.

BE ON TIME! … If a bard misses their time we might be able to squeeze them in at the end, but no guarantees! (though you should attend everyone’s act out of courtesy, you know?). -- If you know you may arrive late, let me know before hand & I will accomodate you!

** I will start the contest off with my song performance (though I am not competing). After my performance I will introduce the next Bard from the Set List. The Bard will then introduce his song and begin to share it via general chat. Each Bard will be allowed as much time as they need to share their song one time, and afterwards they should /bow so we know the Bard has finished. **

Performing the Song:
    **Songs are to be shared in the General Chat channel.**

Have your song prepared in some medium before the contest, do not expect to type the lyrics out word for word during the contest... it takes too long, and timing is a critical portion of a good performance!

Also at some point during your song’s you must play your instrument (bards who forget to strum a tune will be shunned as bad performers!)

There are two main methods you can use to share the lyrics of your song: Half-Screen Mode, or the Alias Function (which is harder to set-up, but easier to use).

Half-Screen Mode -- Access half-screen mode by pressing Alt+Enter. You can then re-size the DDO window frame to share half of your screen and open a word document to share the other half. Copy-paste the song into the chat box from the word document. This is the method I use for my concerts & it works really well, though you must have the song prepared already so portions of a verse do not get cut off by exceeding the maximum letters per message.

Another option, if you have a shorter song, is to make it your character's biography temporarily and simply copy paste into chat from your charcter sheet.

The Alias Function -- To learn how to create an Alias Function and cater it towards your performance CLICK HERE.
    I highly recommend using this method, for it will greatly increase your ability to Rock! as you sing. Because Aliasing is extremely convienent, I use it for my frequently performed songs. The only difficulty comes in typing the code needed to create the aliases.

THIS IS VERY IMPORTANT: WHEN USING THE ALIAS FUNCTION MAKE SURE THE OUTGOING TEXT TYPE IS SET TO 'SAY' & NOT 'GENERAL' OTHERWISE YOU WILL ENCOUNTER AN ERROR PREVENTING THE MESSAGE FROM BEING DISPLAYED!

Tips on How to Rock!!:

The most important tip is this: Don't go overboard! Find a balance & only add the flare that accents your song!

• Describe what is happening musically in the song. Just because we can’t hear doesn’t mean we can’t feel it. Is it poppy or rockin’, maybe it’s folky or hip-hoppy? Is there a solo – Is it totally wicked shred guitar or technical and spacey making use of all kinds of cosmic feedback? Maybe it’s got a slow triumphant solo like an 80’s power ballad? Let us know! Click here for an example of describing the Music -- Note the use of emotes (/e) mixed in with the lyrics -- Also contaitns an example of color coding.
    • Get creative find ways to get the crowd involved! -- Ever been to a concert where the artist says something like: “I wanna see everyone jumping!!!”
    • Some artists think pyrotechnics make a good show & some audiences agree… Bards get spells you know, plus there are all kinds of cool effects that give you some flare… But in the end, by my book, stage presence and musical performance out-trumps the stage show. Also, if ou do go the pyrotechnics route, don't spam cast you spells, but be sparing.
    • What an artist wears on stage says a lot about their performance!
    • You can add color to your text by pre-empting the lyrics with this code <rgb=#??????>. Where ? = 0-9, A, or F & determines the intensity of the corresponding hue, 0 means that color is not present where 9 & A mean it is maximized . Each color (RGB) has two values (00) to be set; the first two 0's correspond tor red, the second two are for green, and the last two are blue.

Prizes & Awards:
    Judging will be done entirely by Musicman, so you're gonna have to learn how to Rock as you Roll to impress me the best! Some of the things I look for: Stage Presence & Delivery (how the lyrics are grouped), Crowd Reaction & Participation, Well crafted word-play, Originality (parodies have the potential to still be very original)... And more to be elaborated upon.

Prizes will be given for specific categories, however, the categories are not final and will change at the whim of my will. These three categories are the only ones set in stone: will be "The Champion," Crowd Favorite/Most Crowd Participation, Best Original Song. Other potential categories involve Best Stage Performance, Best DDO-Inspired Song, Most Eccentric Performance/Song, Best Costume (as in most fitting to the bard for the type of song being performed)... ....

-= Hall of Fame =-

Battle of the Bards #5 Champion: Heavymetal (Current Champion)
    Battle of the Bards #4 Champion: Wishsong
    Battle of the Bards #3 Champion: Paprika Dash
    Battle of the Bards #2 Champion: Gabriazar the Infernal Voice
    The First Battle of the Bards Champion was Gabriazar the Infernal Voice.

Check out Photos of Previous Performances and BotB Oddities at the Battle of the Bards Photo Gallery

If you require additional information, have any questions, simply reply to this forum post or you can send a Forum PM to Music Man.
    Last edited by Music Man; 08-05-2008 at 05:35 PM.

Community Member

Shin gots song, but Shins no can sings.

Shin knows good song thoughs. Songs 'bout swattins and runnins and more swattins.
    And Swattins.
    And abouts bad beardy shorties and theys mean mean mean mean mean mean no juices.

(translation: I'll be more than willing to judge and if there is a dirth of competitants Arashin will take one of Shin's original songs much to the fright of the general populace of the server.)
    I drink harder than you, ride harder than you and if I have spare time I might just play this game too.
    Shinarel Arashin, Arishna, Tosshin, Castshin, A warforged named 5u3
    Please make "Reading Comprehension" a class skill for all forum posters

Community Member

oh and the second Thaelor gives me back that +5 Mithral Chain Shirt it will be thrown into the pot for prizes little bro.
    I drink harder than you, ride harder than you and if I have spare time I might just play this game too.
    Shinarel Arashin, Arishna, Tosshin, Castshin, A warforged named 5u3
    Please make "Reading Comprehension" a class skill for all forum posters

Talking

HeavyMetal the WF bard will give it a shot, though his player sucks at music so don't expect a great performence, though you might get a funny one (if unintensional). I'll show thoose judges what's what.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir Lawrence View Post
    Remember to have your kobolds spayed or neutered.

Community Member Lonya_Lafinathu's Avatar

I, Lonya Lafinathu, Human Bard Extraordinaire, would love to participate in the Battle of the Bards!

However, the date and time conisides with The Stormreach Annual Grand Gala Wizard's Ball and my magical husband, The Illustrious Theftwind Lafinathu, flinger of fireballs and dealer of death to giants and kobolds alike... Perhaps you've heard of him is keynote speaker, so I respectfully, decline and bow out.

(in other words, Theft's company shindig is that night. Besides, I'd be sort of a ringer to the contest being I write music for a living.)

I hack and slash stuff. Not much for instruments.

But I'll be there to /clap and /cheer.

Don't put me down for judge though, since I can't 100% commit to it.

This will be interesting to see. I will watch and enjoy it.

Default Roster

I figured this would be a good idea, so people could check to ensure they got signed up. This lilst we be continually updated as more sign up, but if you signed up and don't see yourself there let me know asap. Also note that the order of the bards on this list is not the order they will be performing

Bards:
    Schnocohanaha (might not be able to attend)
    HeavyMetal
    Thoaru
    Maykin
    Meribeth (unable to attend -- hope to see you next time)
    Gabriazar
    Bust
    Khalmyr

Judges
    Musicman
    Arashin (or any other Shin variable)
    Epox
    Devoue
    Dabbin (or alt)
    Last edited by Music Man; 09-30-2006 at 06:35 PM.

Wow congrats. you got it to be a sticky
    Quote Originally Posted by Bloodshot View Post
    Whats going on here? Walk in my shoes hurt your feet then know why berry and I do dirt in the street. Like he said, this is an IFV thread now, get off my block son...

Congrats on the sticky....

Anyway, I'd be happy to be a judge for this here event, if you still need some. PM sent.
    Commander Devoue ir'Argente- Matriarch of House Argente, Paladin of Boldrei, Commander and Historian of the
    Order of the Sword and Rose

Over the last few days, I've noticed a large increase in the traffic to this thread, and just realized the source of that was making the weekly forum roundup (Rock!). I'd like to thank Turbine for helping me raise awareness of this event for the entire DDO community. I hope that this can encourage other players to organize similar events on their servers. Also I encourage people to check back on this thread after the event on Sept. 30, because I will be posting a review detailing what went well, what could have gone better, and what not -- all of which should be useful to anyone interested in organizing their own events.

For my fellow Thelanis-ians:
    I could still use more judges, and there is no restrictions on being a judge. So if you plan on attending please sign up -- even if your not sure you can make it but you want to attend, sign up. The worst that could happen is you miss out, but if you do make it and don't register your won't be able to vote. (registration is mainly so I can keep track of voting, and make sure that people who show up mid concert don't impact the outcome of those who saw everyone's perfomance -- makes sense, right?.)

Also, if you have a bard I encourage you to sign up. It will be fun & worthwhile. I have some really nice prizes (in my oppinion -- and I'm sure others will agree) that I'm giving away, but it would sorta bum me out if only a few people have a stab at them. I'd also like to mention that if we get enough bards there will be more prize categories besides 1st, 2nd, & 3rd -- so even if you don't "place" you still might win something neat. One last point, don't be timid this is for fun so try not to worry about what other people will think of your art -- just share it. We are going to enjoy it, We want to be entertained & no one is going to harp on you for sharing you what you have created! I gaurantee!

Adios amigos, and I hope to be hearing from some more people interested in judging/competing

Default The Prizes

Right now, the complete prizes are still top secret! But here is a preview of a few of the items i've got in the prize pool:
    +5 Mithril Chain Shirt
    +3 Mithril Breastplate
    +2 Mithril Breastplate
    +10 Perform Gloves
    +2 Flaming Burst Rapier
    ... & more along these lines...
    New prizes revealed:
    +1 Weakening Shortsword
    Gwylan's Blade (It only seems proper)
    +11 Perform Necklace [RR, Elf Drow] (not like RR matters to bards - UMD FTW!)
    +2 Charisma Cloak, Resistance +1
    +3 Charisma Cloak, +3 Hide
    +3 Charisma Helm (w/ something else on it)

As you can see, this could be well worth your time. The prizes are actually worth while & your chances of winning are very high at the moment. Don't Be timid -- sign up & show your mettle today!

I bet a drinking song would no doubt end up getting something cool, which shouldn't be too hard to write either. But your only gonna get stuff if you sign up. *nudge,nudge,wink,wink*
    Last edited by Music Man; 09-23-2006 at 05:18 AM.

I really want to bring Gabriazar and do my piece... unfortunately I may have a RL D&D game at the same time so I don't want to register until I'm sure.

I've got my song written and everything though... Even have a little stage show in mind if I can find some co-conspiritors.
    Happy Host of DDOcast The Dungeons and Dragons Online Podcast
    Member of the Umber Hulks and The Madborn of Thelanis
    You can see my many builds listed in this thread.

Bah I can outsing any fopsy bard !

How about a non-bard round? Or are ye skeered?
    Snavir Anvilringer

Indago - Thelanis

...NEED 'ELP?

Combat Medic services available:

Deep Philosophical Discussions

Uprisings Quelled

Bars Emptied

Dragons Tamed

Ale Quality Control Testing

Giants Castrated

Tavern Wenches Converted

Quote Originally Posted by Broto
    Bah I can outsing any fopsy bard !

How about a non-bard round? Or are ye skeered?
    Bah. I just haven't got the loot to supply non-bards anything worthwhlie. My question to you is, since your new to the server -- why are you so afraid of rolling a bard? Everyone wants a bard, your gonna love a bard. Bards, Bards they're their better than bad, they ROCK! --seriously now, you don't need a cleric when you got a good bard.

I will mention though, every since I missed the original event back in the old school days, I've been tempted to organize a new drinking song contest open to anyone. It was rather funny. I wrote my drinking song and showed up five minutes early, only to realized I was a couple hours late since I was on the west coast & didn't notice the event had an east coast start time.

ps. - welcome to thelanis, broto. the best server in the game.

Quote Originally Posted by Music Man
    Bah. I just haven't got the loot to supply non-bards anything worthwhlie. My question to you is, since your new to the server -- why are you so afraid of rolling a bard? Everyone wants a bard, your gonna love a bard. Bards, Bards they're their better than bad, they ROCK! --seriously now, you don't need a cleric when you got a good bard.

I will mention though, every since I missed the original event back in the old school days, I've been tempted to organize a new drinking song contest open to anyone. It was rather funny. I wrote my drinking song and showed up five minutes early, only to realized I was a couple hours late since I was on the west coast & didn't notice the event had an east coast start time.

ps. - welcome to thelanis, broto. the best server in the game.
    If I have time maybe I'll make a level 1 bard for the event

RP: Its ok I understand yer skeered I'll win all yer toys. I bet its because I'm shurt?? Yer pansy bards don't have the lungs to out sing a dwarf like meh !
    Snavir Anvilringer

Indago - Thelanis

...NEED 'ELP?

Combat Medic services available:

Deep Philosophical Discussions

Uprisings Quelled

Bars Emptied

Dragons Tamed

Ale Quality Control Testing

Giants Castrated

Tavern Wenches Converted

Quote Originally Posted by Broto
    If I have time maybe I'll make a level 1 bard for the event

RP: Its ok I understand yer skeered I'll win all yer toys. I bet its because I'm shurt?? Yer pansy bards don't have the lungs to out sing a dwarf like meh !
    Well, Mr. Stubborn Dorfie, if your too committed to bein' ugly and drinkin' too much smelly dorf ale (not that smelly means bad, it just stinks llike smelly dorfies) to make a bard, maybe you'd like to help judge the copmetition & give your vote to the bard that'd give you the best run for your keg?

Community Member

Hey music I just wanted to let you know I will be there as a judge for sure debating joining the competition have not made up my mind yet will let you know in the next few days. but I will definantly be there to judge if not perticipate
    Dabbin- lvl 9 rogue/ 1 fighter
    Arrien- lvl 10 cleric
    Malfunction-lvl 8 barbarian/ 2 fighter
    Moore-lvl 2 Barbarian
    trashcompact-lvl 1 bard/ 1 sorcerer

Default Honorary Judges

Just a heads up. Since I don't have as many judges as I was hoping for, if you show up for the competition before it has begun I will offer you the chance to judge the concert and place a vote for your favorite bard, so long as you are present through the entire competition.

Thanks everyone for their support. This will be a very fun event.

Quote Originally Posted by sigtrent
    I really want to bring Gabriazar and do my piece... unfortunately I may have a RL D&D game at the same time so I don't want to register until I'm sure.

I've got my song written and everything though... Even have a little stage show in mind if I can find some co-conspiritors.

Muahahahaha, my RL D&D game got moved, I've got my co-conspiritors...

It's showtime!
    Happy Host of DDOcast The Dungeons and Dragons Online Podcast
    Member of the Umber Hulks and The Madborn of Thelanis
    You can see my many builds listed in this thread.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast