Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Community Member

Being able to choose any deity regardless of race is a welcome change.

It would be nice to add an additional bonus if you select what is already your deity. (I.E. if you're Helm and select Helm, you get more Helm-ness)
    Sarlona: Tobril | Syg | Trogbril | Warmachyne | Sql

YouTube | Twitch

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by J-mann View Post
    Sure you get some decent damage...... but is it worth giving up the all powerful cc. LD vs DC tier 5s:

LD
    Regenerating ABs (added to an already superior mantel)
    Auto crit 4w attack
    3 tactical DCs
    Dire charge

VS

DC
    law of the divine
    10 AC (lol for 99% of builds) and 16PRR and 6 MRR
    6 doublestrike
    30 hp (lol)
    A major shield buff that probably 95% of people wont touch because they are either not shield wearers or are tanks

Law of the divine MIGHT make up for no dc but I highly doubt it. It also doesnt make up for how weak the down line abilities are in this tree.
    It is a bit more than decent, it is about a 30% DPS boost (assuming it does work on every hit) and if I took Tier 5 Dreadnought I wouldn't have enough points for Book of War and Crusade in Tier 4 DC so the DPS loss would be closer to 40%. That said it is still a close choice for me and will depend on how well Stunning Blow works as a replacement for Dire Charge and how fast the AB's are recharged.

Default Thoughts after sleeping on it.

So, sleeping on this, and having watched Strimmtom's vid where he talks with Lynn, Steel and Torc about these changes, I think I'm coming around. The thought of Divine crusader being the "Epic Vanguard" is still odd to me flavor wise, considering fighters exist, but looking at the tree from that lens, I like it.

That said, there are a couple changes I would make.

1) Doublestrike with shields: I still want this elsewhere, and even then T5 likely shouldn't have a dead node for most fighting styles. Look at new fury of the wild, where multiple fighting styles are boosted via multiselector in t5.

2). If this is the Epic vanguard tree, it needs a martial builder, to tie it back into the other half of vanguards, fighters. Maybe make it a shield bash builder, as there are no shield bashes in this tree, despite it being focused on shields as a weapon.
    Last edited by Stravix; 06-17-2021 at 08:10 AM.

Systems Designer

Howdy friends! It's been a crazy few days, right?

I've been gathering up a ton of feedback and I wanted to take some time to write up what I've gleaned from you fine folks so far. Note that this is not an exhaustive list, and also note that (given that this is the DC thread) it's going to be centered on stuff that directly relates to Divine Crusader. These are also in no particular order :)

1: A lot of players have brought up that the removal of No Remorse was a pretty big tempo loss from this tree. It's not going to return here (because the Aura itself is elsewhere and frankly the scripting was a mess) but we can take what it did and figure out a new way to reintroduce its usage. What I'm currently thinking is to change the Tier 1: Divine Smite enhancement to provide a high-impact AoE Heal whenever you Smite instead of the Temp HP buff. This heal will increase in effectiveness the more Divine Charges you have, and will feel a lot like the Ameliorating Smite enhancements (but with a little more spicy sauce on top). I think this will go a long way to help Divine Crusader fill in its niche as a sustained combat attacker, someone who can dish out damage but also helps keep their allies' topped off. No Remorse was useful for providing healing throughout combat, which is a great feeling, and this new ability will mean that as long as you're pressing Smite Evil buttons, you're also healing up your friends. This kind of healing is also far more controllable than No Remorse (since you can press a number of buttons to trigger it, rather than needing to kill something) and therefore will hopefully be a little more usable mid-fights.

2: This tree has a real problem generating Divine Tokens beyond its builder (and any myriad bugs currently present). 10% chance on crit is WAY too low and unreliable for regular use. With that in mind, another change I'm noodling on is making it so that early on in the tree (in the first 2 tiers, so right at level 20), you'll be able to get something that says "Using Sunder, Improved Sunder, or any other Sundering attack gives you 1 Divine Charge." This charge gain will have a short internal cooldown (less than 10 seconds) but will hopefully make it way easier to reliably gain charges by weaving in existing abilities. This will also help bring another big Divine Crusader mechanic a little closer together. This tree is all about Sunder, sunder DCs, sunder attacks, etc.

3: The Spenders in this tree need some work!! Big attacks are fun and all, but this one was cookie cutter and not in a good way. It's clear from your feedback that what players really want is something that can deal with crowds a la Dire Charge. So, with that in mind, I'd love for us to work together and design something that can fill that same niche (but using Sunder DCs instead of Stunning). Maybe some sort of new Crowd Control type that isn't a Stun? My current ideas are:

a: A charge attack that, if you're using a shield, does some sort of AoE CC to all enemies struck. Divine Charges increase the area of effect size, and at 3+ charges it grants you a short burst of Unstoppability (CC immunity).
    b: A melee attack that always tries to apply the CC effect in a straight line backwards for a moderate distance (probably 10 feet). For each Divine Charge, this AoE cone gets wider, until at 3+ charges it's a full 180 degrees centering from where you're facing. If you're using a shield, this attack also grants you a short burst of Unstoppability (CC immunity).

The big problem with both of these ideas is that I have no idea how they'll fit into a rotation if you're a ranged character. So, with that in mind, here's my idea for the Ranged option:

For some amount of time (probably 10 seconds, with additional time for each Divine Charge you consumed), your ranged attacks apply the CC from above to all enemies struck with your basic attacks. Each enemy may only be CCed by this once every 10 seconds or so.

The only real thing that I'm stuck on is what, exactly, that CC type should be. Ideally it's disruptive, provides helplessness, makes sense to scale with your Sunder bonuses, and feels fun to hit enemies with. Any ideas?

4: Law of the Divine is too strong, also slightly inelegant now that I've given it more thought. The good news is that it's sticking around, but it needs a tiny amount of polish. These kinds of feat buffs need to work in tandem with the base feat, not just apply a better version right on top and leave the original there. I think it's clunky that it doesn't just replace the law damage on hit with a better law damage on hit proc. Thankfully this kind of thing - aka replacing the law damage - is easy to put together.

5: The Tier 5 of this tree needs some sort of big flashy thingie that feels great to press. Something that we'll probably go into more detail later on is that we didn't realize that players were so attached to the idea of an Epic Moment. Now, granted, the original Epic Moment of this tree (Celestial Bombardment) is prooobably not the best fit to return, but the good news is that we have more than enough time to think of something a little bit better suited to the new Divine Crusader paradigm. Part of me wants something that provides a ton of mobility, part of me wants to let you drop a super-pumped up Consecration, and part of me wants to wait and see what you fine folks come up with.

6: This tree needs to physically be rearranged so that the Consecration buffs end up in a line and the Mantle buffs end up in a line. Also I need to bring back the old Aura of Purification visuals for when Holy Mantle is turned on.

There's definitely more stuff to adjust (animation changes, buffs to the cores, etc) but these are the big ones I wanted to be sure to bring up ASAP. And of course, if you have any questions or further comments, please feel free to add to the discussion. Thanks!
    100% radical, enthusiasm enthusiast.

"Have you tried preproccing feat directory?"

Quote Originally Posted by Lynnabel View Post

I've been gathering up a ton of feedback and I wanted to take some time to write up what I've gleaned from you fine folks so far. Note that this is not an exhaustive list, and also note that (given that this is the DC thread) it's going to be centered on stuff that directly relates to Divine Crusader. These are also in no particular order

1: A lot of players have brought up that the removal of No Remorse was a pretty big tempo loss from this tree. It's not going to return here (because the Aura itself is elsewhere and frankly the scripting was a mess) but we can take what it did and figure out a new way to reintroduce its usage. What I'm currently thinking is to change the Tier 1: Divine Smite enhancement to provide a high-impact AoE Heal whenever you Smite instead of the Temp HP buff. This heal will increase in effectiveness the more Divine Charges you have, and will feel a lot like the Ameliorating Smite enhancements (but with a little more spicy sauce on top). I think this will go a long way to help Divine Crusader fill in its niche as a sustained combat attacker, someone who can dish out damage but also helps keep their allies' topped off. No Remorse was useful for providing healing throughout combat, which is a great feeling, and this new ability will mean that as long as you're pressing Smite Evil buttons, you're also healing up your friends. This kind of healing is also far more controllable than No Remorse (since you can press a number of buttons to trigger it, rather than needing to kill something) and therefore will hopefully be a little more usable mid-fights.

2: This tree has a real problem generating Divine Tokens beyond its builder (and any myriad bugs currently present). 10% chance on crit is WAY too low and unreliable for regular use. With that in mind, another change I'm noodling on is making it so that early on in the tree (in the first 2 tiers, so right at level 20), you'll be able to get something that says "Using Sunder, Improved Sunder, or any other Sundering attack gives you 1 Divine Charge." This charge gain will have a short internal cooldown (less than 10 seconds) but will hopefully make it way easier to reliably gain charges by weaving in existing abilities. This will also help bring another big Divine Crusader mechanic a little closer together. This tree is all about Sunder, sunder DCs, sunder attacks, etc.

3: The Spenders in this tree need some work!! Big attacks are fun and all, but this one was cookie cutter and not in a good way. It's clear from your feedback that what players really want is something that can deal with crowds a la Dire Charge. So, with that in mind, I'd love for us to work together and design something that can fill that same niche (but using Sunder DCs instead of Stunning). Maybe some sort of new Crowd Control type that isn't a Stun? My current ideas are:

a: A charge attack that, if you're using a shield, does some sort of AoE CC to all enemies struck. Divine Charges increase the area of effect size, and at 3+ charges it grants you a short burst of Unstoppability (CC immunity).
    b: A melee attack that always tries to apply the CC effect in a straight line backwards for a moderate distance (probably 10 feet). For each Divine Charge, this AoE cone gets wider, until at 3+ charges it's a full 180 degrees centering from where you're facing. If you're using a shield, this attack also grants you a short burst of Unstoppability (CC immunity).

The big problem with both of these ideas is that I have no idea how they'll fit into a rotation if you're a ranged character. So, with that in mind, here's my idea for the Ranged option:

For some amount of time (probably 10 seconds, with additional time for each Divine Charge you consumed), your ranged attacks apply the CC from above to all enemies struck with your basic attacks. Each enemy may only be CCed by this once every 10 seconds or so.

The only real thing that I'm stuck on is what, exactly, that CC type should be. Ideally it's disruptive, provides helplessness, makes sense to scale with your Sunder bonuses, and feels fun to hit enemies with. Any ideas?

4: Law of the Divine is too strong, also slightly inelegant now that I've given it more thought. The good news is that it's sticking around, but it needs a tiny amount of polish. These kinds of feat buffs need to work in tandem with the base feat, not just apply a better version right on top and leave the original there. I think it's clunky that it doesn't just replace the law damage on hit with a better law damage on hit proc. Thankfully this kind of thing - aka replacing the law damage - is easy to put together.

5: The Tier 5 of this tree needs some sort of big flashy thingie that feels great to press. Something that we'll probably go into more detail later on is that we didn't realize that players were so attached to the idea of an Epic Moment. Now, granted, the original Epic Moment of this tree (Celestial Bombardment) is prooobably not the best fit to return, but the good news is that we have more than enough time to think of something a little bit better suited to the new Divine Crusader paradigm. Part of me wants something that provides a ton of mobility, part of me wants to let you drop a super-pumped up Consecration, and part of me wants to wait and see what you fine folks come up with.

6: This tree needs to physically be rearranged so that the Consecration buffs end up in a line and the Mantle buffs end up in a line. Also I need to bring back the old Aura of Purification visuals for when Holy Mantle is turned on.

There's definitely more stuff to adjust (animation changes, buffs to the cores, etc) but these are the big ones I wanted to be sure to bring up ASAP. And of course, if you have any questions or further comments, please feel free to add to the discussion. Thanks!
    That all sounds fantastic, and a real step in the right direction on this one.

I would still love to see a martial builder in here somewhere, but the shield bashes being added is great!

Maybe a disarm for the CC? Could tie into sunder, as instead of hitting their armor, you are smacking thier weapon?

Howdy friends!
    Objection: assuming facts not in evidence

I'm sorry, I know you're just doing your job, and I don't think you'd be radically rewriting the core of the game unless you were being put in a position where you have no choice

But I'd honestly rather the game go into maintenance mode than this. At least I'd end our time together with positive thoughts and memories

1. Not familiar with no remorse so no comment.

2. Nice alternate, especially since sunder is given for free so that's another option if you're not a paly.

3: How about instead of a charge (though I do like charges) more of a big cone or something? Then it would work for ranged too. And it definitely feels Divine Crusadery to have a big sword/shield from the sky or something. Seems like increasing "size" of a charge would get wonky too. I know I've had a good chunk of trouble in the past using dire charge. I tended to just use it at point blank range to be safe.

a: AoE sunder is a neat idea, but would have to be better than just a regular sunder. Maybe bump up the fort to -50%? The CC immunity sounds cool too but depends on duration I guess.

b: Not understanding...when you say it applies CC in a straight line backwards do you mean forward? Or like...you have to turn around and face away from enemies to use it?

4: Not sure if it counts as synergy, but what if it GAVE you the embodiment of law feat? (and the feat was also made better heh).

5: consecration is fun, would be interesting to have the ED have a big emphasis on it.
    My main Orien Bozos - Mozenrath, Messam, Yashamaru, Quackerjack

Hardcore bozos - Koganei, Hoid

Community Member

Bring back Zeal of the Righteous. Keep it as is on live - the four minute cooldown, the effects, etc.

Community Member

I think shield rush's ability to knock down targets it hit's is a good idea, but after playing with Shield Rush the mobility of it is very questionable. Instead a ground slam ability with a range like Turn Undead and using a sunder DC to knock enemies down for 4 + 1 per charge built might work. Complement's other charge powers, charge into a group, then knock them all down and either escape with a second charge or start making a mess with melee. Staff Rogues do something similar, Lunge in, Spinning Strikes for knockdown, then Vault to exit before enemies get back up.

For the either or both of the two above, and looking at something 'new' and CC like that players haven't had access to do before, how about the Telekinesis/Knockback effect that some monsters get? You do a divinely power shield bash to knock away mobs in an arc who then have to close distance with you again, giving you a moment to recover, reposition, ect? Since monsters can do it, the code for the effect must be available in there somewhere. I'd love some battlefield management effects like that.

Quote Originally Posted by Elsheran View Post
    For the either or both of the two above, and looking at something 'new' and CC like that players haven't had access to do before, how about the Telekinesis/Knockback effect that some monsters get? You do a divinely power shield bash to knock away mobs in an arc who then have to close distance with you again, giving you a moment to recover, reposition, ect? Since monsters can do it, the code for the effect must be available in there somewhere. I'd love some battlefield management effects like that.
    I vote against this, while this may work for solo play, any group play with this will be a PitA

CC--How about Confusion on a sunder/improved sunder dc: Upon failing the DC check, the creature uses its actions to make a single melee attack against a random creature within reach at x150% damage than normally done by that creature. if there is not creature in reach, the creature does nothing looking confused for 5 seconds.
    Roving Guns - Sarlona
    Cashery

Using Holy power, you could "Command" you foe to lay down on the floor (a la the Cleric Command spell).

You sunder the enemy's will and force them to grovel at your feet
    That's not lag, it's just DDO trying to become turn-based again.

Feature wishlist: colour-coded HP bars; red/blue teams in raids; rez-timer in party menu; equip-able halflings

In PnP sunder can be used to break weapons and shields, so what about a short term debuff that massively reduces the enemies melee/ranged/spell power to the point where they do negligible if any damage and reduces prr/mrr roughly equal to what most players have for additional helpless damage?
    Chaotic evil means never having to say you're sorry.

Community Member

I think, the doublestrike on shield bashes should be broken a bit down, so that you don't have that sudden damage spike at level 30 and get more organically to that point. Maybe adding some to other mantle abilities if possible?

So first one grants 10% of your DS, then the next one another 15% (leading to 25%) and so forth.
    Nothing in this game is essential, unless you are a power-gaming & unimaginative lemming who follows everyone else, without having any form of creativity or original thought rolling around your brainpain...

Quote Originally Posted by Zuldar View Post
    In PnP sunder can be used to break weapons and shields, so what about a short term debuff that massively reduces the enemies melee/ranged/spell power to the point where they do negligible if any damage and reduces prr/mrr roughly equal to what most players have for additional helpless damage?
    This one is the right answer, make it cripple offenses, but make it so things can still react/counter cc. Give it helpless damage, and we are good to go, IMO. Call it sundered weapons, or disarm, or w/e you want, but this looks like a good core framework for that soft CC

Community Member

I've been gathering up a ton of feedback and I wanted to take some time to write up what I've gleaned from you fine folks so far. Note that this is not an exhaustive list, and also note that (given that this is the DC thread) it's going to be centered on stuff that directly relates to Divine Crusader. These are also in no particular order

The main reason the Aoe heal in live DC is soooo good is because it doesn't get reduced in reaper difficulty ( since the healing is provided by the dead monster not by you) so it would be great if we find some way to maintain that part, may you mark your target and all enemies around with a debuf that activated after the enemy is killed to heal the party?.
    The main point is that we get a healing that stay relevant on reaper.

A few comments..

1) Ameliorating Smite – is fine when it lands. Please make it “fire” if you land a hit or not. Currently Ameliorating Smite is very hit and miss due to … hitting and missing .. with lag and such it is really annoying. Please make this (and the current Ameliorating Smite fire on swing – regardless of attack lands or not.

2) Spender - Charge attacks today have too narrow of a “window” / path width to be make them easy to use. Maybe something similar to Eldritch Tempest – short knock down with lingering AC debuff and lingering fort debuff
    Sarlona - Guildmaster - Brotherhood of Redemption - ddoborguild.com - 2016 & 2017 Players Council --- Alts: Acetylene, Antimematter, CNG, Dilithium Crystal, EMF, EMPulse, Exothermic, Geothermal, Hexane, Hexyne, Hydropower, JA, Kerosene, LPG, Natural Gas, Nuclearpower, Propane, Solarpannel, Tidalpower, WASOB, Waulter, Windpower, Woodpile

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by hit_fido View Post
    Bring back Zeal of the Righteous. Keep it as is on live - the four minute cooldown, the effects, etc.
    Current Zeal would be very weak as a level 30 Tier 5, with all the Doublestrike available capping it at 100% will be easy, so all that Doublestrike in Zeal will be useless.

Community Member

Please don't limit any CC in this tree to requiring a shield. If you want to add riders when you have a shield equipped ok, but limiting abilities is not fun.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast