Community Member

Default Evard’s Black Tentacles stealth nerf? Or tooltip bug? (Or bug fix?)

The tooltip for Evard's Black Tentacles says that it uses fort for both the entangle save and the Damage save.

https://i.imgur.com/UnHP792.png
    Last edited by ChrisTOTG; 06-15-2021 at 09:45 AM.

Systems Designer

Just took a look at this.

It looks like in late 2019 I did some adjustments to the casting and targeting of Evards and also changed the save type to Fortitude vs Strength. My intention was to lower the power of the spell by moving its save type to something that our monsters actually have a shot at resisting. I was then convinced by my colleagues to NOT do that and reverted the save portion of the change, but accidentally left the updated tooltip in place.

So, in summary, tooltip is wrong and I can switch it back for the next patch.
    100% radical, enthusiasm enthusiast.

"Have you tried preproccing feat directory?"

Might be silly to mention but since update 49 I find the hold part of the tentacles non-functional beyond heroics.
    Is there something going on with SR and some other kind of thing?
    (I say 49 here because that's the last update where I started to play one again.)

The range of the spell is something like 5 feet, you can cast it just outside the range of your aura?

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Lynnabel View Post

It looks like in late 2019 I did some adjustments to the casting and targeting of Evards and also changed the save type to Fortitude vs Strength. My intention was to lower the power of the spell by moving its save type to something that our monsters actually have a shot at resisting. I was then convinced by my colleagues to NOT do that and reverted the save portion of the change, but accidentally left the updated tooltip in place.

Thanks Lynnabel!

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisTOTG View Post
    Thanks Lynnabel!
    You may want to look at whether the fortitude saves of monsters scale appropriately , because i find most mionsters strengths (other than casters) means they walk through for anyone but Pure DC Warlocks, making the spell almost useless for other warlock builds.

Quote Originally Posted by Lynnabel View Post

The fix on Evards targeting from 2019 also seen to be undone. I'm having many problems trying to land that spell.