Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 5678910 LastLast

Lightbulb Please fix longterm storage

Quote Originally Posted by Cocomajobo View Post
    What's Happening Now
    In the short term, we are reverting the heartbeat back to once every 6 hours with a patch tomorrow. In the long term we are investigating ways to clean this up and make it not an issue. This may require a combination of more aggressive (and publicly messaged ahead of time) culling of old or excessive mail as well as code changes to the heartbeart itself. Tonight, though, we don't have a timeline on those sorts of changes.
    If you guys implement a proper long term (save for a later TR / level) storage system, I'm guessing most of the lag in this game would be fixed. Why cut the weeds when you can grab them at the roots ?

Seriously, lack of storage is a HUGE problem with 15 years of new items + the game now focused on TRing and basically no update in storage capacity. Very few people enjoy farming the same quests and raids over and over just to properly equip their toon every life with items they've already dropped and had to ditch. Save for later TR should be a thing.

Create a new NPC, allow a once per week or month checkin/check out that is completely independent from the normal bank / inventory tabs, remove the TR Cache and have it automatically dump into the longterm storage... and watch bank/mail/inventory lag problems disappear. Some other MMOs have something similar and works great.

Cheers

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by WhateverDisplay View Post
    Cause as soon as you move back a step and have a look at the greater picture of continous build-breaking changes changes, quality of content, virtually non-existing ingame support, ingame issues being around for not only years, but decade and then you dont look at it with passion anymore, then you move on.
    And yet whenever I look for something else to try, none of them come even close to DDO, despite its faults. Most of the older ones have made their non-raid content so easy that it is no fun at all to play. Last time I played WOW it would not even let me take a quest of higher than my current level, and in LOTR the mobs in the lower level zones had been thinned out so much that my Loremaster had no use for any of his crowd control abilities and could beat up the Mobs with a stick without even using any "spells".

ESO came closest to being worth playing, but at my age I cannot cope with a game that relies on an unintended (and subsequently sanctioned) "feature" that requires serious rotation practice to get high enough DPS not to get sneered at by other players in the harder content.

Hell, most of those other MMOs - I am looking at you WoW, LOTRO etc. - could be made infinitely better just by adding optional difficulty settings for open world content. At least with DDO you can make it as hard or easy for yourself as you want at any time.
    Last edited by Zarkarion; 04-22-2021 at 07:11 AM.

Canada, where the cold will take a bite out of you :D

Talking just wandering...

has the downtime been extended?

I should probably start my quest for pants anyways
    I miss My DDO... ):

Sincerely,

^* Hallowood the Hermit *^
    The Silver Circle: First Officer

An undisclosed location. I asked my captors but they remain tight lipped.

Quote Originally Posted by sdrocky View Post
    Ppl need to remember the terms of service. SSG has absolutely no responsibility to the player. Its up to them. simple.

Im just happy i can still play the game i love with the freinds i love and SSG gives me that platform. Thankyou

Im also stoked that there still developing the game. They can shut the servers down anytime they like.

Thankyou SSG. you may stuff it up now and then. but your still having a go.

Fin.
    The servers are down however https://www.isitdownrightnow.com/ddo.com.html shows DDO is online- good for the metrics, but disingenuous.

I understand there are unforeseen gremlins with every roll-out/update. It's par for the course with SSG.
    Where I raise an eyebrow is the decision to hotfix an update and keep the game offline while compiling and fixing for 24 hours vs.rolling back the update and pushing the previous Known-Good Version. Rather like the captain of the Titanic: Why slow down or change course when you can "all-ahead full" with the latest update? After many players tested over on Lamaland and raised some serious concerns about bugs (Not just the play-changes, mind you.)

Instead they call it a day and shut the servers down while... compiling... and called it a day.

We pay them (Well, many of us do) to provide a product with the reasonable expectation that that product will be available.
    They say they love the game and play it as well, yet they are willing to accept downtime like this- with idle hands- rather than proving they love the game.

They got their hands on an incredible game that's pretty unique, and unfortunately, their stewardship of it is inept.
    The EULA/Terms of Service covers their legal butts, but isn't there the reasonable expectation that they will do all they can to maintain the game's availability and quality?

Yet here you are, oh paladin, chastising us for being upset at the lack of pride, integrity, responsibility?
    You've set a low bar and expect everyone else to accept it, too.
    I'm starting to get jaded about this whole process- OP release, backend nerf- it's the proverbial mule and the carrot and I end up feeling like an ***.

Community Manager

Quote Originally Posted by TitusOvid View Post
    Thank you very much for details. I honestly appreciate the effort.

I haven't read all the posts. Please forgive me, if this was mentioned before.

Why drop from 6 hours down to 5 minutes? Try 3 hours. If there are no problems divide again?

Cheers,
    Titus.
    That unfortunately would not resolve the problem, although that was our thinking when the change was initially made. The issue is that the system is simply being overwhelmed by the amount of mail in it, so work will need to be done to address the issue.
    Have fun, and don't forget to gather for buffs!
    Follow DDO on: Facebook Twitter YouTube
    Join us on Twitch!
    Hello from Standing Stone Games! Facebook Twitter
    For Support: https://help.standingstonegames.com

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Shadospawn View Post
    I'm pretty sure I've got 100,000 emails at work (Outlook) going back 14 months, and another 100,000+ in yahoo mail going back to at least 2005. Many of these of course include photos, files, etc.

I refuse to believe that the dozen or so "You got ddo points" in game mails I have are causing major problems.
    You are really going to compare an in game mail system with global mail systems?

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Sylvado View Post
    You are really going to compare an in game mail system with global mail systems?
    I mean I guess I could instead compare the ddo in game mail system to the ones for every other mmo that don’t cause performance issues. ?

Default Epic Thread

G'day everyone, just checking in while the game is down, out here taking in the salt on the 'Vale of Tears' (my nickname for the forums).

Keep doing what you can SSG, and special commiseration going out to Cordovan, it's going to be a cruddy couple of days at work for you all I think..... I feel for ya's.

My favourite post was the pizza shop analogy - mein gott! Fella has a degree in Patronise, hehehehe.

Looking forward to getting back on when she's running again, till then, ole Coit has to get some sleep then go do his hours on the chain gang before 3 days off (hopefully spent in game, fingers crossed)
    Coitfluff Coitrippr Luciforge Coitburner Coithealz: Ghallanda

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by mikarddo View Post
    Much appreciate the info. A few suggestions.

a) Add an option to not get a mail when you receive free ddo points from favor.
    b) Add an option to not get a mail when you reach a favor tier.
    Adding these 2 would account for 95% of my mail in game.

c) Made it mandatory to empty the mailbox fully before doing a TR.
    That would lessen the use of the mail system as storage.

d) Add a "delete all" button to the mail system.
    Make it fast for people to delete mail and they might.
    Very much agree to the disable favor/ddo points. It's even worse when you ETR as you get double/triple the mails.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by sdrocky View Post
    Have u read them.
    Are you drunk? Read a business??

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Shadospawn View Post
    I mean I guess I could instead compare the do in game mail system to the ones for every other mmo that don’t cause performance issues. ?
    That would be a fair comparison, but there are a lot of things we don't know about the games. Such as, do people use the mail systems to store inventory? In the end we do not have enough information to make a fair judgement nor should we have that information. There has to be a certain amount of trust that they are working to make the game enjoyable or just go to a different game.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Stormraiser View Post
    Very much agree to the disable favor/ddo points. It's even worse when you ETR as you get double/triple the mails.
    I support this 100%, they are an annoyance.

Quote Originally Posted by Cordovan View Post
    That unfortunately would not resolve the problem, although that was our thinking when the change was initially made. The issue is that the system is simply being overwhelmed by the amount of mail in it, so work will need to be done to address the issue.
    I know its been asked before but could we get UI checkboxes for Favor Mail and Store Point awards? If I could turn those off that would eliminate, at a rough guess, 80% of the mail I receive. Now I TR and level at a glacial rate so have zero trouble deleting them as I level but if I could prevent them from ever appearing I would.

I know it has also been asked before, for at least a decade, if we could have some sort of Delete ALL function in the in-game mail. I rarely come upon this issue but occasionally on my hagglebard nothing sold or very little did and after I've removed the items from the messages, if I didn't already click to delete them individually there's a stack of messages I have to go back through just to do that... delete ALL in such a case would be faster and more convenient. Some people would just leave them to time out, which takes a week right?

Edit: Maybe I'm thinking of the items I mail my hagglebard to post to AH but either way delete ALL after removing the items from the mail would be hugely helpful.

These two changes would make the mail system more streamlined and should leave less clutter in the mailbox.
    Last edited by Aelonwy; 04-22-2021 at 08:11 AM.
    Blood Scented Axe Body Spray (Thelanis)
    Aelonwy - Wydavir - Metaluscious - Aertimys - Phantastique - Kaelaria - Lunaura - Aelurawynn - Saurscha - Crystalorn - Aurvaeyn - Vaelyns - Wyllowynd

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by pSINNa View Post
    G'day everyone, just checking in while the game is down, out here taking in the salt on the 'Vale of Tears' (my nickname for the forums).

Keep doing what you can SSG, and special commiseration going out to Cordovan, it's going to be a cruddy couple of days at work for you all I think..... I feel for ya's.

My favourite post was the pizza shop analogy - mein gott! Fella has a degree in Patronise, hehehehe.

Looking forward to getting back on when she's running again, till then, ole Coit has to get some sleep then go do his hours on the chain gang before 3 days off (hopefully spent in game, fingers crossed)
    I think we all understand being at the SSG office yesterday, today and probably tomorrow is not a fun event. It sucks when you're working on something and there are mistakes, we have all been there and can appreciate the difficulty. The pizza example was a reply to one individual who looking at subsequent posts may have issues with reading comprehension.

The forums are the internet, where everyone is able to vent. Unfortunately when things break that you like, many will vent.

Quote Originally Posted by Sylvado View Post
    There has to be a certain amount of trust that they are working to make the game enjoyable or just go to a different game.
    I don't know, is it better to believe they're trying, but inept and misguided, or to cynically believe they know what they're doing and chose this course of action?

Much appreciate the info. A few suggestions.

a) Add an option to not get a mail when you receive free ddo points from favor.
    b) Add an option to not get a mail when you reach a favor tier.
    Adding these 2 would account for 95% of my mail in game.

c) Made it mandatory to empty the mailbox fully before doing a TR.

d) Add a "delete all" button to the mail system.
    Make it fast for people to delete mail and they might.
    +1 signed for a) , b) and d) options.

I think there is also one more problem that needs to be addressed:
    e) if an item returns from AH via mail, it never expires. The item remains in the mailbox for eternity.
    e.1) force the item into the character's inventory
    e.2) force the item into the character's bank
    e.3) make the item disappear for good.
    If that is the key to lag-free gameplay, I would rather that happen, than another nerf.

I can imagine that passive characters with thousands of items pending in their mailbox are sitting there and the script that runs every 6 hours (or whatever frequency) is reading them too. If this is the case, can you just ignore/hybernate the passive toons?
    -- CANNITH --
    -- Officer of Csodaszarvas --
    Hulligan / Hegyomlas / Ithril

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Artos_Fabril View Post
    I don't know, is it better to believe they're trying, but inept and misguided, or to cynically believe they know what they're doing and chose this course of action?
    I support much more critical systems where weeks of testing are done and qualification scripts are executed and there are still issues that come up when released to the users.

Made it mandatory to empty the mailbox fully before doing a TR.
    Just saw your comment quoted in someone else's.

There is an issue with the above suggestion, not insurmountable, but every once in awhile there are reports of items that cannot be sold, traded or destroyed and attempts to destroy them just have them mailed back to you. I myself experienced this with a bag, IIRC, way back in the first couple years of joining the game. I don't remember which server that character is on but if I didn't delete the character, somewhere there is still a mail with an item that would not go away rather like Stephen King's Christine.

Now that is most likely a case by case basis of such items but making emptying the mailbox fully mandatory, while a great idea in theory, may have some unintended consequences and CS requests until all such unintentionally cursed items are fixed. Maybe before implementing such a plan they should do a shout-out for anyone still in that situation so they can fix such items before-hand?
    Blood Scented Axe Body Spray (Thelanis)
    Aelonwy - Wydavir - Metaluscious - Aertimys - Phantastique - Kaelaria - Lunaura - Aelurawynn - Saurscha - Crystalorn - Aurvaeyn - Vaelyns - Wyllowynd

An undisclosed location. I asked my captors but they remain tight lipped.

Quote Originally Posted by Hulligan View Post
    +1 signed for a) , b) and d) options.

I think there is also one more problem that needs to be addressed:
    e) if an item returns from AH via mail, it never expires. The item remains in the mailbox for eternity.
    e.1) force the item into the character's inventory
    e.2) force the item into the character's bank
    e.3) make the item disappear for good.
    If that is the key to lag-free gameplay, I would rather that happen, than another nerf.

I can imagine that passive characters with thousands of items pending in their mailbox are sitting there and the script that runs every 6 hours (or whatever frequency) is reading them too. If this is the case, can you just ignore/hybernate the passive toons?
    I think I have thirty mails with items, at the most but will clean those out whenever the game is back online.
    Agreed with the other proposed steps.
    I'm starting to get jaded about this whole process- OP release, backend nerf- it's the proverbial mule and the carrot and I end up feeling like an ***.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Cordovan View Post
    You get that it's WORSE it's being caused by the amount of mail?

We have threads going back many moons discussing how players don't want all the mail we have. If there were ANY constraints on mail, why didn't we just get rid of the mail? No service was being done for the customer with all the extra mail. We asked for it to be lessened / removed - and instead you're now overwhelmed with the mail?

Why are you forcing mail down our characters throats, that in turn is then breaking your system? Gnomes would be proud:

Force Mail
    Break Servers
    ????
    Profit

Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 5678910 LastLast