Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Massive Delay when Weapon Swapping in Update 49

Is this WAI? This is absolute rubbish for debuffing during fights.

The smooth and interesting gameplay that makes this game awesome isn't feeling super great at the moment.
    -Thelanis-
    Eidur / Ellsi

Systems Designer

This was not an intended change, was an unfortunate side effect to some backend work, and will be fixed shortly in an upcoming patch.
    100% radical, enthusiasm enthusiast.

"Have you tried preproccing feat directory?"

Quote Originally Posted by Lynnabel View Post
    This was not an intended change, was an unfortunate side effect to some backend work, and will be fixed shortly in an upcoming patch.
    Cool, thanks for that!
    -Thelanis-
    Eidur / Ellsi

Thank you for the quick response! I think you guys should be screaming this from the rooftops as a known issue with a pending fix, like on the login screen at least.

Community Member

But you went live anyway, knowing that it’s there. I won’t be playing until you fix that absolute garbage.
    Last edited by DjangoKeys; 04-21-2021 at 02:27 PM.

So of it was known, why wasn't the u49 delayed untl this could be fixed - it seems like a pretty big deal for player experiences

Quote Originally Posted by voxson5 View Post
    So of it was known, why wasn't the u49 delayed untl this could be fixed - it seems like a pretty big deal for player experiences
    Sometimes glitches are found after patch go-live arrangements are already in place. Where I work, we have overseas teams involved so can't easily cancel a go-live for anything less than a showstopper or totally app breaking issue. Might just be that.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Amorais View Post
    Sometimes glitches are found after patch go-live arrangements are already in place. Where I work, we have overseas teams involved so can't easily cancel a go-live for anything less than a showstopper or totally app breaking issue. Might just be that.
    They’ve known about this since the first Lam. They decided to ignore it. They decided that players affected by this don’t matter enough to delay the update.

Right now, it’s all I can do to not delete my toons and my guild, because it’s getting to the point that I feel that I need to wipe and flush this game - along with the tone deaf devs ruining it - completely out of my life.

Quote Originally Posted by DjangoKeys View Post
    Right now, it’s all I can do to not delete my toons and my guild, because it’s getting to the point that I feel that I need to wipe and flush this game - along with the tone deaf devs ruining it - completely out of my life.
    You don't need to delete everything in order to walk away. If you don't come back before the game shuts down, there's no difference, and if you are tempted back by something (like actual fixes instead of cludges) you won't have to throw more money at them to undelete your characters.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Artos_Fabril View Post
    You don't need to delete everything in order to walk away. If you don't come back before the game shuts down, there's no difference, and if you are tempted back by something (like actual fixes instead of cludges) you won't have to throw more money at them to undelete your characters.
    If I leave, it’s gonna be for good.

BTW, they’re the ones that’s been continuously setting that bridge on fire. I’ve finally reached the point where I’m left wondering why I even bother putting it out.

Community Member

like 40,000 base value +1 throwing axes from loot?

Last edited by Zennez; 04-21-2021 at 07:05 PM.

Community Member

I saw no delay in swapping from THF to Bow and back. Solo in The Cogs.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by KoobTheProud View Post
    I saw no delay in swapping from THF to Bow and back. Solo in The Cogs.
    Offhand weapon swaps are absolutely crippled atm...around 2 seconds of helplessness upon swap out.

To give some context:

Some of the backend changes made in this large update had the side effect of reintroducing a pause in attack action upon activating certain abilities or swapping equipment. Now, this pause was present on many abilities up until 2018 when it was eliminated in a lot of places and reduced in others (such as swapping equipment). That 2018 change caused some very bad (unsustainable) issues in the core combat code that we did not recognize until the past six months or so. We fixed that backend issue, and in the process, knew that we had reintroduced those longer attack action pauses and would look for less problematic ways of resolving those.

Over the course of the U49 preview cycle the scope of how jarring players found this on general play was communicated to us and so we accelerated plans. By the time preview 3 was over we had finished removing the pause, without reintroducing the previous backend issues, from most places that it had cropped up. We started looking at equipment swapping, which has always had a half second pause (even post 2018), once the majority of abilities were dealt with. Because of the complexity of the equipment system and the inherent danger in any alterations to it the decision was made to hold off on rushing a change in to get us back to the half second pause (down from the roughly full second pause currently seen) and instead target our potential fix for a followup patch.

We know the play experience for those who swap their equipment is more jarring than it was prior to the update. We are looking at ways to mitigate that, however, due to the extreme severity of the backend issue this change was resolving and the danger of rushing work on the equipment code that change is targeted for a followup patch. We're currently looking at potentially next week should everything fall into place without issue.
    Tell me about any and all bugs you encounter by clicking here!

NOTE: Submitting a bug in this manner is not a quick fix for past occurrences; it is instead a means of bringing issues to our attention to prevent future occurrences for both you and others. Providing detailed information, especially specifics about your account and character as well as what steps you took leading up to the issue, are critical to us being able to pinpoint the cause of any problems you have encountered.

Quote Originally Posted by Cocomajobo View Post
    To give some context:

[...]

We know the play experience for those who swap their equipment is more jarring than it was prior to the update. We are looking at ways to mitigate that, however, due to the extreme severity of the backend issue this change was resolving and the danger of rushing work on the equipment code that change is targeted for a followup patch. We're currently looking at potentially next week should everything fall into place without issue.
    Good to know. It really makes no sense to me why this wasnt posted as a kknown issue...

Quote Originally Posted by Zennez View Post
    like 40,00 silver base value +1 throwing axes from loot?
    No, that will be hotfixed this afternoon. Weapon swap delay will have to wait until U51 though.

Community Member

I've run a few quests and didn't notice any problems other than a bit of lag, but less than the last few days.

Community Member

Would it also be possible to speed up the Holy Retribution's animation so at least it wouldn't stop attacking for so long? it has a regular "slow" cleave , not effected by melee speed ( the animation takes like 2 seconds) , the same with Sunder effect (probably even slower and makes the character stop attacking after the sunder has been activated.

Cheers

ps. not sure why but the door lag/ loading screen lag or instance data loading is broken or something because right now the quests are unplayable (character bounces back every now and then until the instance lag goes away). Mind looking into it?

Cheers again
    Last edited by Malusny; 04-21-2021 at 05:19 PM.

But you went live anyway, knowing that it’s there.
    You don't hold back an update because of a bug like this. It does not block gameplay, it does not cause data corruption. It impacts gameplay, less for some, more than others. They have acknowledged the bug, found a fix and will be patching to correct. What more do you want?

I won’t be playing until you fix that absolute garbage.
    Is it too harsh to say...good? Sounds like you need a break anyways.
    Last edited by Baahb3; 04-21-2021 at 04:51 PM.
    Luck is what happens when preparation meets opportunity. -Seneca the Elder
    Iryklaunavan, Karaskkesir, Desideratum, Gregorii, Jhasmyne, Vis
    Ubique eo, invenio me esse ducem hominium.

Quote Originally Posted by DarkSkysz View Post
    Option 1: Keep the update under development for a longer time to make sure its playable and not totally broken.
    Maybe because it is not totally broken. You can still play the game, yes?

Look, there is plenty in this update that I am not happy about but claiming a 1s pause while swapping weapons breaks the game. Sorry, no.
    Last edited by Baahb3; 04-21-2021 at 04:54 PM.
    Luck is what happens when preparation meets opportunity. -Seneca the Elder
    Iryklaunavan, Karaskkesir, Desideratum, Gregorii, Jhasmyne, Vis
    Ubique eo, invenio me esse ducem hominium.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast