Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Potion of discovery

Been having some trouble in Sharn getting my item sets. While rest of party went fairly well, here I am, stuck trying to get my 3rd item out of Best laid plans, the Sunstone gauntlets.

Only run it a cpl times a week with the crew (4 in total) and then i try either solo or if someone is one during the week. I've seen every other item drop 3-6 times over the past few months, but no gauntlets! Been reading up and was going to use my only 10% potion of discovery, but forgot.

Now that I have time to think it over;

1. I've read similar where others have seen my gauntlets multiple times but are trying for an item I've had many times. Seems some think that if you are wearing or carrying the other gear, game knows what you're looking for a fubars you. So I think I'm going to dawn my Shadow dragon scale armor and give it a cpl tries before burning the potion now.

2. Running on EE and tried 3 rerolls twice last night and absolutely Nothing. I can see why so many believe rerolling is a total $'s grab!

3. What difference do those who run R10 find in drop rate vs EE? Asking because that would be the chance I would be getting if I burn the potion.

Also read where some said to save potion for really rare drops in hard to get chests like in raids. After reading up on discovery potion, it seems clear that they can't be used in raids. Is this correct?

Any other advise who be more than welcome

I always put up LFMs of "Looking for X item" runs on EE for fast farming (r1+ isn't typically worth the speed difference for the slight perfect difference in drops with most pugs). 6x people is the best way to up the odds of getting a drop. On Khyber they generally fill up but other servers may very for how well that works.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by rabidfox View Post
    I always put up LFMs of "Looking for X item" runs on EE for fast farming (r1+ isn't typically worth the speed difference for the slight perfect difference in drops with most pugs). 6x people is the best way to up the odds of getting a drop. On Khyber they generally fill up but other servers may very for how well that works.

What he said. except do it in R1-3, still very easy in a group but you get chances of reaper bonuses on item, am Still looking for wildwood circlet with the reaper bonuses( go the +3 reaper power on heroic helm but still farming the +2 ability epic helm), and I find most of the +3 reaper items at R2-3 any higher reaper levels takes alot longer to farm especially when hardcore is on.

Ran again and got the orb again. Ran with a buddy and got zippo so tried rerolling 3 more time.....Zippo!

So 12 rerolls on Zippo drops = less than 25% for sure. If EE was anywhere near 30% should have gotten 3 items. Not the one I'm after, but three drops. I will not waste any more shards unless I use a discovery elixer.

I'm on Orien, posted 2 or 3 LFMs a while back but never got any responses. Been on just over a year and have never played with any other than the 3 buds I joined with.

Oh well, thanks for the replies!

Community Member

Your best chance is to wait for a loot weekend, take your treasure boosts, put up an LFM for two or three quest item farming, run at R3. That will likely fill as others have the same idea and you're certain to pull a slew of named items over the course of say 3 runs on each quest. Even on Sharn, R3 shouldn't be too bad with a full group.

I am Awesomesauce!

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Marshal_Lannes View Post
    Your best chance is to wait for a loot weekend, take your treasure boosts, put up an LFM for two or three quest item farming, run at R3. That will likely fill as others have the same idea and you're certain to pull a slew of named items over the course of say 3 runs on each quest. Even on Sharn, R3 shouldn't be too bad with a full group.
    So...wait to farm things he needs now?! That’s a terrible idea! He’s trying to farm gear, NOT raise his Cannith Crafting level.

OP’s much better off farming 8 runs until he ransacks, then wash, rinse, repeat with other toons if available.

Btw, when was the last time SSG had a “loot weekend?” I assume you mean Bonus Weekends, but those are so few and far between, you’re effectively telling the OP not to bother farming his gear until sometime after Thanksgiving.

<snip>

Editted out my question cuz I was lazy and didn't check Wiki first:

https://ddowiki.com/page/Elixir_of_Discovery

Carrying on.
    Last edited by cdbd3rd; 04-21-2021 at 06:11 AM.
    CEO - Cupcake's Muskateers, Thelanis
    DDO Freebies

https://ddowiki.com/page/Looting#:~:...ard%3A%2016%25

Increasing the odds of finding named loot
    Elixir of Discovery
    Also, playing on higher difficulty usually increases your chances
    Also, see below for information about rerolling chests
    [hide]Quote:
    Originally Posted by (executive producer) Severlin Source on April 25, 2018
    The general numbers we’ve used for getting the Named Loot Table in the last few years’ worth of updates:

Normal/Epic Normal: 10%
    Hard/Epic Hard: 16%
    Elite/Epic Elite: 33%
    Reaper boosts Elite’s numbers by 1% per skull, I believe.

The potions directly add to those numbers, so a 5% potion would push each of those up by 5.
    Kill'em all and let their favorite deity sort'em out
    BoloGrubb / DJGrubb / Gijo
    Proud member of the HighLords of Malkier

BTW, the best way to get a huge cache of Elixirs of Discovery is if you are the type of person who created a character or characters on every server as a test, or out of boredom, or whatever. If so then your characters on Wayfinder have 50 Elixirs of Discovery, Greater, I think - each, which are for all intents and purposes priceless. They are bound to account, so you would need to transfer the character or characters from Wayfinder to your home server, which is around 25 dollars. I think it is very much worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by DjangoKeys View Post
    So...wait to farm things he needs now?! That’s a terrible idea! He’s trying to farm gear, NOT raise his Cannith Crafting level.

OP’s much better off farming 8 runs until he ransacks, then wash, rinse, repeat with other toons if available.

Btw, when was the last time SSG had a “loot weekend?” I assume you mean Bonus Weekends, but those are so few and far between, you’re effectively telling the OP not to bother farming his gear until sometime after Thanksgiving.
    Hooked up with a cpl good toons through LFM's yesterday and ran 4 more times to ransack......Zippo again on gauntlets, got another orb and outfit.

Thought I came across a post that said you Can't receive anything from other players after ransack, but after extensive searching I can't find any info to that effect.

Can anyone confirm that if I continue to run on ransack (me), that others can still pass me the gauntlets if they get them, and I can receive them?

Quote Originally Posted by arminius View Post
    BTW, the best way to get a huge cache of Elixirs of Discovery is if you are the type of person who created a character or characters on every server as a test, or out of boredom, or whatever. If so then your characters on Wayfinder have 50 Elixirs of Discovery, Greater, I think - each, which are for all intents and purposes priceless. They are bound to account, so you would need to transfer the character or characters from Wayfinder to your home server, which is around 25 dollars. I think it is very much worth it.
    Not following you 100%, can you elaborate a bit more? Are you saying that if I create a toon on each server/world, that I will receive 50 discovery elixirs?

Default Can anyone post who has seen the gauntlets drop recently?

Also wondering (for my own sanity) if anyone can confirm that they have actually seen the gauntlets drop recently and this is not bugged?

So far I've seen orb about 7 times, outfit 5-6 times, boots 4-5 times and Q staff 2-3 times.

Quote Originally Posted by Graceunderpressure View Post
    Not following you 100%, can you elaborate a bit more? Are you saying that if I create a toon on each server/world, that I will receive 50 discovery elixirs?
    Sorry, no, it is that last year, I think it was, Wayfinder imploded and had to roll back. As a compensation, everyone on Wayfinder at the time of rollback got a huge pile of bonuses, one of which was 50 Greater Elixirs of Discovery, which are virtually priceless in terms of the game, because you can't just buy them by themselves in the store or anything close to them, and because so much of the game now consists of juggling named items and named item sets (Elixirs of Discovery are the only things that up the chances of finding named items).

A lot of players are piddlers when it comes to creating test characters, so I suspect a lot of people have created test characters or just messing around characters on every server. If a player had created characters on Wayfinder prior to the rollback, as I had, even though I had never touched that character again, then those characters are post-rollback sitting there stuffed to the gills with goodies.

If one were to take a Wayfinder character in that state and transfer them to another server, the 50 Elixirs of Discovery go with them, and they are bound to account, so they can be shared across all your characters on your main server.

I think many people realized this back when the rollback happened, and there was likely a rush of server transfers off Wayfinder because of it. However when I have spoken to people in game, a lot more people didn't realize it than I would have thought, and they all were astonished to log on to Wayfinder and find the scratch nothing character they created one Saturday afternoon a decade ago on Wayfinder and then forgot about, stuffed with awesomeness just waiting to be plucked.
    Last edited by arminius; 04-20-2021 at 10:38 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Graceunderpressure View Post
    Also wondering (for my own sanity) if anyone can confirm that they have actually seen the gauntlets drop recently and this is not bugged?

So far I've seen orb about 7 times, outfit 5-6 times, boots 4-5 times and Q staff 2-3 times.
    After 12 runs with a buddy of mine, the gauntlets finally dropped for him. We were shocked. I used a ton of shards throughout the last several days as well. We normally do it on r1 but did it on Elite for some reason lol.
    >>>Itchybeard (Crafter), Greensmash (Main), All Others (Mules)<<<

Question

Quote Originally Posted by Bolo_Grubb View Post
    https://ddowiki.com/page/Looting#:~:...ard%3A%2016%25

...(snip)...
    The potions directly add to those numbers, so a 5% potion would push each of those up by 5.
    I have a question. WHEN should a person drink the potion? Does the dungeon automatically generate the chests and the items inside as soon as you enter? If that's the case, maybe we should drink the potion before entering? If not, can we wait until just before the chest is looted but before the dungeon says 'finish' at the top?

I'm not clear on exactly when the stuff in the chests are generated by the game.

Quote Originally Posted by Itchybeard View Post
    I have a question. WHEN should a person drink the potion? Does the dungeon automatically generate the chests and the items inside as soon as you enter? If that's the case, maybe we should drink the potion before entering? If not, can we wait until just before the chest is looted but before the dungeon says 'finish' at the top?

I'm not clear on exactly when the stuff in the chests are generated by the game.
    I believe the chest doesn't generate its items until it is opened. I don't know for certain, but it would take extraordinarily bad design to generate everything for every player for every chest at the beginning of a quest, when you don't know who is going to open what chest, or if the chest will even be found by anyone, or if the quest will be completed at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Itchybeard View Post
    After 12 runs with a buddy of mine, the gauntlets finally dropped for him. We were shocked. I used a ton of shards throughout the last several days as well. We normally do it on r1 but did it on Elite for some reason lol.
    Thanks for the confirmation! I would be ecstatic to get it in the next 12 runs, never mind all the ones before! lol

it took me 11 runs of the saga to get the wis artifact ring

i got it first time on an alt toon

those the odds you face
    Kil Glory
    30 alchemist
    HOW
    Sarlona

Quote Originally Posted by Vish View Post
    it took me 11 runs of the saga to get the wis artifact ring

i got it first time on an alt toon

those the odds you face
    Think I've had that ring 2 times already just running this quest, which I thought was strange, seeing it Should be the rarer drop vs regular named gear. (Or maybe just shows how long I've been running this dang quest! lol)

Quote Originally Posted by arminius View Post
    I believe the chest doesn't generate its items until it is opened. I don't know for certain, but it would take extraordinarily bad design to generate everything for every player for every chest at the beginning of a quest, when you don't know who is going to open what chest, or if the chest will even be found by anyone, or if the quest will be completed at all.
    I see your point, but it may be wishful thinking. Maybe someone can confirm one way or the other if loot generated in chests happens when they are opened or when the quest begins.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast