Default This must become a new cosmetic.

Spotted this today in a casual perusing of Reddit.
    https://imgur.com/a/kEXu2Gv

Alright, I cannot seem to get this photo to post.
    Is there anyone can write down proper usage?
    After a little Tolkien I am usually up for anything.

Quote Originally Posted by Sir_Noob View Post
    Spotted this today in a casual perusing of Reddit.
    https://imgur.com/a/kEXu2Gv

Alright, I cannot seem to get this photo to post.
    Is there anyone can write down proper usage?
    Hello Kitty Samurai might not be so popular with this player base?

Not a lot of pink in DDO armors, you maybe could do an Eberron-style nod in this direction with Elocator's Habiliment on a Shifter, going out of your way to make the race look as feline as possible, and there is a random generated samurai type helm but it will take effort and time to find one that might match one of the pastel colors on Elocator's.

But you're not going to get a trade-marked character cosmetic, from another brand and genre, in the game.

https://ddowiki.com/page/Item:Elocator%27s_Habiliment
    https://ddowiki.com/page/File:HeadIcon_Helm18.png
    Blood Scented Axe Body Spray (Thelanis)
    Aelonwy - Wydavir - Metaluscious - Aertimys - Phantastique - Kaelaria - Lunaura - Aelurawynn - Saurscha - Crystalorn - Aurvaeyn - Vaelyns - Wyllowynd

Exit, pursued by a bear. ~ William Shakespeare (stage direction from The Winter's Tale)

Now I want a Hello Kitty cat suit and will never get one.
    Last edited by Annex; 04-17-2021 at 01:16 AM.
    Sophie the Cat Burglar - Creator, Dreamer, Explorer - Happy yet Sad - Seeker of Beauty and Wonder
    I suppose I am playing for now. I wish you all many happy adventures!

Quote Originally Posted by Aelonwy View Post
    But you're not going to get a trade-marked character cosmetic, from another brand and genre, in the game.
    Pretty much this.

Sometimes you get lucky and a bunch of existing stuff happens to be able to give the look you're after when you mix and match them together, but overall most of the time you won't find one that's even a close approximation to something that's more unique to avoid receiving letters from different legal departments around the world.

J1NG
    Thelanis: Yijing (*Completionist* TR 20 Aasimar Scourge Monk Level 20 / Epic Level 10)
    Thelanis: Pocket-Monks: Sightblur, Peashoote, Jigglypath.
    Invisible Fences, unkillable Target Practice Dummy's, Shared Bank's, Pale Lavender Ioun Stones, the dimensional barrier between Eberron and Shavarath, I've broken them all...

Maybe we can get Welcome Kobold stuff instead.
    Sophie the Cat Burglar - Creator, Dreamer, Explorer - Happy yet Sad - Seeker of Beauty and Wonder
    I suppose I am playing for now. I wish you all many happy adventures!

I'd just like it if more armor had actual boots, bracers and gauntlets, rather than wetsuit limbs.

Armor shouldn't be skintight, devs!

Quote Originally Posted by Lorianna View Post
    I'd just like it if more armor had actual boots, bracers and gauntlets, rather than wetsuit limbs.

Armor shouldn't be skintight, devs!
    https://ddowiki.com/page/File:Argent...rmor_shown.jpg

You can even have a life jacket on the top of your wetsuit. Divers and Dungeons Online.

Not a lot of pink in DDO armors, you maybe could do an Eberron-style nod in this direction with Elocator's Habiliment on a Shifter, going out of your way to make the race look as feline as possible, and there is a random generated samurai type helm but it will take effort and time to find one that might match one of the pastel colors on Elocator's.

https://ddowiki.com/page/Item:Elocator%27s_Habiliment
    https://ddowiki.com/page/File:HeadIcon_Helm18.png

That headpiece regularly comes in a shade that fits the Frozen tunic.
    You nerfed my monks, throwers, dailies and alchemists.
    I hardly play anymore, found a better hobby.
    Thank You!

A spot to look for different color variations of armor are the festivals like mabar and winter games.

Think there are a lot of single color themed cosmetic armors in the game and the mabar one has some that have purple/pink subtones.

Though nothing with pink as a main color?

Surprisingly nothing even from the new Feywild, if anything the limelight could have crept into an armor there.

Quote Originally Posted by kanordog View Post
    That headpiece regularly comes in a shade that fits the Frozen tunic.
    Yes I do believe a sort of light turquoise is the most common, but I've seen it in a sickly green, a yellow-orange and I had one in a plum-like color that I kept for the longest time but thankfully never Mirrored because I found other styles that matched my armors better. I would guess way more than half the helms I pick up are in their default color (whatever that may be for the style. ) But then maybe a quarter of them are colored in some way different from the default, but good luck finding one the style you want in the color you want it.

Also a few random helms AFAICT only have a default color and zero variety. Or perhaps the variation in color is so subtle I could not tell without comparing multiples of the same style helm simultaneously.
    Aelonwy - Wydavir - Metaluscious - Aertimys - Phantastique - Kaelaria - Lunaura - Aelurawynn - Saurscha - Crystalorn - Aurvaeyn - Vaelyns - Wyllowynd

Community Member

Are you sure? And why? I've played other MMOs that have brand crossovers where they sell cosmetics for $$$. Why couldn't DDO do this as well? I think this is a golden revenue opportunity for DDO. Maybe not Hello, Kitty but plenty of tie-ins that could generate bank.

I am Awesomesauce!

Quote Originally Posted by LightBear View Post
    A spot to look for different color variations of armor are the festivals like mabar and winter games.

Think there are a lot of single color themed cosmetic armors in the game and the mabar one has some that have purple/pink subtones.

Though nothing with pink as a main color?

Surprisingly nothing even from the new Feywild, if anything the limelight could have crept into an armor there.
    Well there are a few robes that have pink tones:
    https://ddowiki.com/page/File:Mantle...cher_shown.jpg <----the pinkest
    https://ddowiki.com/page/File:Discip...Dawn_shown.jpg <---salmon pink and red

https://ddowiki.com/page/File:Legend...Garb_Shown.jpg <----Not pink but red and lavender, and delicate

And once upon a time there was also this, from the store in turquoise or pinkish-lavender:
    https://ddowiki.com/page/Cosmetic_Armor_Kits/Spiral_Set

Quote Originally Posted by Marshal_Lannes View Post
    Are you sure? And why? I've played other MMOs that have brand crossovers where they sell cosmetics for $$$. Why couldn't DDO do this as well? I think this is a golden revenue opportunity for DDO. Maybe not Hello, Kitty but plenty of tie-ins that could generate bank.
    I can be no more sure than any other player but I can make a reasonable guess that DDO doesn't have the money to purchase licensing for such, assuming WotC would agree if that's required and it might be. I'm also reasonably sure that sort of thing makes more profit after its licensing fee the larger and possibly more diverse the game population. DDO has not what I would consider a large population. I cannot even begin to guess on the diversity of tastes however. On the other hand, keep in mind the sub set of the population that complains about the cosmetic pets, complains about non-realistic armors, complains about the less humanoid? races. I imagine seeing people in cosmetics that they might deem out of the purview of D&D would lead to some spectacular kvetching. From a costs versus profits perspective, I just don't think DDO is the game for such tie-ins. This just isn't the Oasis of Ready Player One.

Community Member

That's not really how the tie-ins work. The companies split the profits so there is no upfront cost to DDO. For example, a game I played had a Warhammer 40K tie-in. Now that's a huge brand. They didn't buy a 40K license. They added characters and cosmetics and sold them for a ton of cash. Now the % split is likely negotiable and maybe DDO is small enough where they have to take a 40-60 split but maybe not. DDO is under the umbrella of a much larger group of games. Feels like an untapped opportunity. I'd do this twice a year for holiday/event tie-ins. Like for Halloween, why not bring in Scream or Halloween?

I am Awesomesauce!

That's not really how the tie-ins work. The companies split the profits so there is no upfront cost to DDO. For example, a game I played had a Warhammer 40K tie-in. Now that's a huge brand. They didn't buy a 40K license. They added characters and cosmetics and sold them for a ton of cash. Now the % split is likely negotiable and maybe DDO is small enough where they have to take a 40-60 split but maybe not. DDO is under the umbrella of a much larger group of games. Feels like an untapped opportunity. I'd do this twice a year for holiday/event tie-ins. Like for Halloween, why not bring in Scream or Halloween?
    The issue here is, the IP belongs to the other party. And if for any reason, at any time, they want to pull the cosmetics, SSG will 100% have to comply with this. This has happened in other games which had collaborations which afterwards one party changed their mind. Also, they'd need to want to work with SSG for this, and with the size and renown of SSG and DDO, I don't see many really recognisable brands wanting to do this instead of with other parties.

As for being under the umbrella of a much larger group of games (Enad Global 7), unfortunately the same issue arises, none of the games character/identifier IP that stands out and what you may want belongs to them and are licensed from other parties (and thus needs their approval). The stuff they may own directly, are all similar to the setting that DDO operates in anyway, so there's little to be gained there.

Plus you'd need the time and effort put in making them then and it needs to be approved as well. All the while still susceptible to the same pull at any moment and then you have the same issue as the Spider Mask issue, where you can't re-release it to others who may want it down the line either (better deal elsewhere).

Just ask SSG to create stuff that looks close enough instead but remains generic and go from there for Cosmetics. It's not worth the extra hassle that'll be involved if specifics looks are done. That time spent working on anything like that would be better served working on something everyone may get/want/use instead.

J1NG
    Thelanis: Yijing (*Completionist* TR 20 Aasimar Scourge Monk Level 20 / Epic Level 10)
    Thelanis: Pocket-Monks: Sightblur, Peashoote, Jigglypath.
    Invisible Fences, unkillable Target Practice Dummy's, Shared Bank's, Pale Lavender Ioun Stones, the dimensional barrier between Eberron and Shavarath, I've broken them all...

Kobold sentient jewel still hate you.

Default Easy to clean up the design

Remove the Hello Kitty stuff.
    The outfit is cool regardless.
    Different colors could be used as well.

I just thought how cool it would be to see a few of these running around Stormreach.
    After a little Tolkien I am usually up for anything.

Sure? no.

Why? Because that would require a sales and marketing team to realize "well designed" cosmetics sale. They would have to then reach out to these other companies to negotiate for such articles. Personally, I'm not too worried about cost as that will be passed onto the consumer.

That all being said, the biggest "road block" would be that this would have to be a 3 party negotiation. SSG, Wizards of the Coast, and the patent holding company. And lets not forget that Wizards and SSG have parent companies that may have interests against any theoretical 3rd party.

But hey, in the world of capitalism anything is possible. So, no, I am not sure.
    Quote Originally Posted by hp1055cm View Post
    They have been tweaking the game since I started and often I disagree with them. They focus on wrong stuff, over or under compensate and abandon too much stuff. Every once in awhile they get something right, if only temporarily.

Well there are a few robes that have pink tones:
    https://ddowiki.com/page/File:Mantle...cher_shown.jpg <----the pinkest
    https://ddowiki.com/page/File:Discip...Dawn_shown.jpg <---salmon pink and red

https://ddowiki.com/page/File:Legend...Garb_Shown.jpg <----Not pink but red and lavender, and delicate

And once upon a time there was also this, from the store in turquoise or pinkish-lavender:
    https://ddowiki.com/page/Cosmetic_Armor_Kits/Spiral_Set
    Thx for putting that up.

There is also some pink tutu for warforged out there in the game, hilarious ofc.

Though, no medium or heavy armor.

Well, not that I have seen.