Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

As someone who went from vip to a normal account, I had to free up 4 chars of stuf in that proces.
    Had a lot of stuf that was once apon a time worth it to keep around.
    Now, not so much anymore.
    I'll free up some more space once HCL4 is over.

I keep stuff around for three reasons:
    1) I like to tr into new builds and having stuff laying around is waaaay better then having to grind for it.
    2) SSG has a reputation on killing fun builds, so I want to be able to respec on the fly.
    3) They're memorabilia, I see it as a token of accomplishment.

Ok, 4 reasons.... I'm a hoarder and need help.
    There I said it.

Community Member

iI did this when Filigrees 1st came about. man did it make cleaning the tr bank a bit less of a p.i.t.a. just do it :P
    The Leader of The Original Brotherhood

The game becomes fun once you stop caring how long it take to lvl

Quote Originally Posted by Maelodic View Post
    stressing about this for a while. I tend to save a copy of each unique thing I get and then eat the rest
    Sounds similar to what I do and the issues I have with bank mules on this game. The lack of an account-wide search feature (or at least server-wide) is incredibly painful. It takes forever to scour mules, chars, and caches for saved gear.

My own strat is mostly like this:

• L29+ & high value for rebuilds = shared bank (ruby ring, collective sight, etc)
    • L22~L28 instant food (2x sentient per char is already 1x too many too feed and regear isn't worth it sub29)
    • L21 KOB & Drow = move to mule, feed dups; these are high-value for L20~21 ETR gear
    • L10 & L15 Sharn = move to mule, feed dups; nice for HTR, but unlike 20+, I only do one char at a time sub20
    • L05 Fey = move to mule, one of each is enough (eat the rest)
    • Misc interesting cosmetic things get muled as originals, in case of later need

I used to keep a rather motley pile of junk around for mixing and matching sub10, but while the Fey gear is mostly mediocre at L29 with a few stars, it's 100% stellar at L05; one of each drop and you're covered for every single build you can imagine for L5->10~15.

Community Manager

Yes, after one of the loot updates from the past I looked back and realized I had at least four bank characters with junk/notjunk loot dating back to 2006 and I don't think I'd ever actually used a single one of the items. I did it again when we added Sentient Gems and cleared out more than a decade of named loot that I should hang onto but never use. No regrets!
    Have fun, and don't forget to gather for buffs!
    Follow DDO on: Facebook Twitter YouTube
    Join us on Twitch!
    Hello from Standing Stone Games! Facebook Twitter
    For Support: https://help.standingstonegames.com

Community Member Alrik_Fassbauer's Avatar

Personally, I think it would be nice if the Sentient Gem would accept lowest-level named loot as well. I mean, I have LOTS of that.
    "You are a Tiefling. And a Cleric, with the Domain of the Sun. Doesn't that contradict each other ?" "No, all my friends are playing evil. I found that so boring that I decided to be on the good side. And, besides, Sun and Fire, where is the difference, really ?"

I feel this struggle... I still have a bunch of gear that I just can't seem to get rid of.
    Member: Circle of Night
    Magic is a curious thing; full of hope and promise one minute, then someone summons a t-rex jet fighter to kill you.

Quote Originally Posted by Cordovan View Post
    Yes, after one of the loot updates from the past I looked back and realized I had at least four bank characters with junk/notjunk loot dating back to 2006 and I don't think I'd ever actually used a single one of the items. I did it again when we added Sentient Gems and cleared out more than a decade of named loot that I should hang onto but never use. No regrets!
    I'm pretty sure I still have a "Sword of Tesyus" from Goodblade stashed someplace...
    (Say): Haywire says, '"Hey, I don't come into yer home and play with things."'

Eternally Mediocre Girl Maelodic's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bjond View Post
    Sounds similar to what I do and the issues I have with bank mules on this game. The lack of an account-wide search feature (or at least server-wide) is incredibly painful. It takes forever to scour mules, chars, and caches for saved gear.

My own strat is mostly like this:

• L29+ & high value for rebuilds = shared bank (ruby ring, collective sight, etc)
    • L22~L28 instant food (2x sentient per char is already 1x too many too feed and regear isn't worth it sub29)
    • L21 KOB & Drow = move to mule, feed dups; these are high-value for L20~21 ETR gear
    • L10 & L15 Sharn = move to mule, feed dups; nice for HTR, but unlike 20+, I only do one char at a time sub20
    • L05 Fey = move to mule, one of each is enough (eat the rest)
    • Misc interesting cosmetic things get muled as originals, in case of later need

I used to keep a rather motley pile of junk around for mixing and matching sub10, but while the Fey gear is mostly mediocre at L29 with a few stars, it's 100% stellar at L05; one of each drop and you're covered for every single build you can imagine for L5->10~15.
    Yeah I just have a character for Sharn, Feywild, and cash shop stuff and then a character for Slavers, Ravenloft, and Misc. I got some of the huge bags too which has been a huge stress relief as well, and I just pass the bags between characters via the shared bank.

Yeah this was me. I had stuff that I'd been holding onto for over a decade and never once used.
    ~Sarlona~
    Maelodic - Soundblaster| | Kinsys - Cookie Cutter Monk

Quote Originally Posted by Alrik_Fassbauer View Post
    Personally, I think it would be nice if the Sentient Gem would accept lowest-level named loot as well. I mean, I have LOTS of that.
    I'm pretty sure most named loot can be feed to the gems, it just doesn't provide much XP.

Side Note: When you start going through your old gear from forgotten bank toons, it can be a real trip to the past... Found a page of guild augment items ranging from small to large, +1 and +2 items min lvl 5-6 with no attributes, cursed items, one dude had 6, yes 6 muckbanes..., Wounding of Enfeebiling, Wounding of Puncturing shortbow, my +1 Vorpal Dwarven Ax of Pure good (1d6) min lvl 12, and so many 6 year old Birthday Cakes... yikes, they have to be pretty stale by now, and even a whole lotta masterwork items...

Quote Originally Posted by cdemeritt View Post
    I'm pretty sure most named loot can be feed to the gems, it just doesn't provide much XP.
    Items with no minimum level can't be used as sentient food.
    Kobold sentient jewel still hate you.

Quote Originally Posted by Aelonwy View Post
    That makes me so sad.
    They could solve this with individual player housing and mannequins!

In your "Hall of Accomplishments" (that included a gateway to the Hall of Heroes and vice-versa) that you would add to any future player housing, add the ability to drop mannequins and the ability to equip them. That way, you free up storage space, you keep those old items that you'll never use again and you get to take a trip down memory lane! Win - Win - WIN!

Pipe dream, I know.....

Quote Originally Posted by cdemeritt View Post
    Side Note: When you start going through your old gear from forgotten bank toons, it can be a real trip to the past... Found a page of guild augment items ranging from small to large, +1 and +2 items min lvl 5-6 with no attributes, cursed items, one dude had 6, yes 6 muckbanes..., Wounding of Enfeebiling, Wounding of Puncturing shortbow, my +1 Vorpal Dwarven Ax of Pure good (1d6) min lvl 12, and so many 6 year old Birthday Cakes... yikes, they have to be pretty stale by now, and even a whole lotta masterwork items...
    Even after cleaning stuff up ages ago, I held onto some weird stuff like a Halfling Only Bow and other odd RNG items.

Quote Originally Posted by rabidfox View Post
    Even after cleaning stuff up ages ago, I held onto some weird stuff like a Halfling Only Bow and other odd RNG items.
    Me too?! On one server (not Thelanis) I have an old character with IIRC a minimum level 6 or 8 +1 paralyzing shortbow that is both cursed and race restricted to halfling. I think the curse was -1 charisma? or something similar. On Thelanis, I have an Underwater action item that's race restricted warforged for the laughs. I just keep it equipped on the storage character, and every time I happen to mouse over it, it gives me a chuckle.
    Blood Scented Axe Body Spray (Thelanis)
    Aelonwy - Wydavir - Metaluscious - Aertimys - Phantastique - Kaelaria - Lunaura - Aelurawynn - Saurscha - Crystalorn - Aurvaeyn - Vaelyns - Wyllowynd

Quote Originally Posted by Maelodic View Post
    UPDATE: I did it. I ended up deleting four toons.

Relief palpable. TR cache is empty and gonna stay that way.
    honestly i did a semi wipe like that not long ago. i plan to do it again. let's be honest the reason why we keep some of those rare items was because of the memories. we know that the % chance of using it is very low. when you look at some newer items i stomps the old. greensteel still some of the best items. not many pass it. stuff like sword of shadows or even thornlord etc still some of the best weapons for their levels.

i have no regrets of getting rid of items and later on i'm going to be honest to myself and wipe more. i know i will never use them.

This is a trap!!!!

I know that as soon as i destroy all my reaver raid loot, that i will be able to turn it all into cool level 14 augments.
    You cant trick me that easy or again!
    Silly Rabbit, ADD is not just for kids
    Kobolds are the goats of DDO!

Community Member

DDO is in dire need of better storage. At the very least open up the API so people can build custom inventory tracking plugins.

Eternally Mediocre Girl Maelodic's Avatar

I definitely kept some memories. I have a set of festival icy burst wounding of puncturing picks from back when helpless things were auto crit. My first ioun stone which I looted from the hidden undead part of Waterworks. Still have (and often use) the first cosmetic thing I bought. First crafted thing, lifeshield outfit of invulnerability back when you could craft that at a lower ML.

Good times. Those are worth a slot somewhere, I think. Outfits that I think look neat and haven't glamored yet I also store though over the years my tastes have gotten more and more picky.
    ~Sarlona~
    Maelodic - Soundblaster| | Kinsys - Cookie Cutter Monk

Community Member

I been tempted to do that Cordovan, but i played too many MMO's over there years where i got rid of old junk loot, that was updated in a later patch. So that item of junk turned into an item of awesomeness... I am reluctant to get rid of anything because of that
    You are welcome to follow me on Twitch https://www.twitch.tv/cmecu_grogerian Also Friday Nights 8pm EST Brock and Friends DDO Stream https://www.twitch.tv/ddostream

Community Member

I'm not giving up my Dried Fish

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast