Question Advice from Developers: should we hold off on leveling Epic Destinies or ETRs?

Based on the fact that Epic Destinies and the included ETRs/Karma are slated for change, could we get some guidance from the developers as to the usefulness in continuing to level Epic Destinies or if ETRs/Karma are going to be impacted.

Thanks in advance.

Cheers,
    M.

Community Member

Why would you not? It literally doesnt require anything other than you playing in Epic like you would anyway. It'll be a while before it comes out anyway, so you probably dont want to put your characters in the freezer for that long. Keep progressing your character, and even if you just get a couple of months' worth of play out of the current ED system, its still worthwhile.

They've also said that ETRs wont be affected by the ED update or the level cap rise, so you shouldnt worry about your EPLs getting wiped or "wasted".

Getting all my characters to at least epic completionist, if not enough lives for 4-3-1-1-1 twists, is my major DDO project for this year, and I am proceeding with it, so if you waste effort on it at least know you have company

Will keep doing what we do until we see how these changes impact our time invested into the current system.

I guess all we can do is hope they don't [expletive] over the time/effort we have already invested.

Gonna be a lot of unhappy players if we end up upside down on this.

ps. fix the [expletive] lag.
    Argo: Degenerate Matter - 200
    Jotmon (HC 30/42 , RC 36/39 , IC 12/21 , EC 29/48 , RP 95/158)
    Jotlock (HC 38/42 , RC 0/39 , IC 15/21 , EC 36/48 , RP 36/158..favor toon)
    Whatthetruck (HC 38/42 , RC 35/39 , IC 15/21 , EC 30/48 , RP 88/158)

2014 DDO Players Council

Quote Originally Posted by droid327 View Post
    It literally doesnt require anything other than you playing in Epic like you would anyway.
    It might not literally "require" it, but I know in the past I've spent time doing things only to level EDs that I wouldn't have otherwise bothered doing at all. It's a perfectly fair question to want to know if any such effort is going to be wasted.
    Quote Originally Posted by ProducerRowan View Post
    Our final update of 2014 will extend the level cap to 30, which is intended to be DDO’s “permanent” level cap

We won't know how things will play out in the grand scheme until they release details later this year. From the recent dev streams stuff, it sounds like they want them to behave more like heroic trees where you can put points into up to 3 different ones at the same time. So one might guess that rather than fate/twist points, we'll see extra points to spend similar to racial past lives for the epic tree systems. But that's just a guess, who knows what the system will actually be and what reward epic past lives will be in the end.

Quote Originally Posted by droid327 View Post
    like you would anyway
    I personally would never go into epics if there were not Epic Past Life Feats. And, since you can stack them only to x3 each, no sense to play more in epics.

Community Member

If anything I would anticipate getting epic destiny trees filled out will be harder in the future so progress as far as you can now.

I am Awesomesauce!

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by M.ham View Post
    Based on the fact that Epic Destinies and the included ETRs/Karma are slated for change, could we get some guidance from the developers as to the usefulness in continuing to level Epic Destinies or if ETRs/Karma are going to be impacted.

Thanks in advance.

Cheers,
    M.
    FWIW I don't think the Devs will want to disenfranchise any EPL/ED progress made by the changes. Whilst yes, the accrued value may manifest I a different way, it will likely still be retained. So the more you have by way of progress, the better off you will be.

Post change, it also might become more difficult to progress in epics, for example introduction of gating access. As a historical example, I wish I'd focused more on EPLs before they raised the level cap!

So yes, if anything, on balance I suggest you progress as much as possible before the changes. Good luck!