Community Member

Default Bonus days not posted... again

This keeps happening, could someone please be assigned to posting this weekly SSG? For the life of me I cannot see why it is so hard to get this posted regularly and consistently, is that too much to ask???

Community Manager

The forums isn't really the main place for the announcement, the launcher is along with social media and the Chronicle, but yes, I have been lax in getting this posted in time in the Announcements section of the forums.
    Have fun, and don't forget to gather for buffs!
    Follow DDO on: Facebook Twitter YouTube
    Join us on Twitch!
    Hello from Standing Stone Games! Facebook Twitter
    For Support: https://help.standingstonegames.com

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Cordovan View Post
    The forums isn't really the main place for the announcement, the launcher is along with social media and the Chronicle, but yes, I have been lax in getting this posted in time in the Announcements section of the forums.
    Your responding here is appreciated, but you actually posting the actual bonus days for this weekend would be more appreciated, please post it Cordovan. You may not understand that many of us older folks look for our info here, and look for announcements in the "announcements" section, we don't use the social media, or look for info on the launcher.

Additionally, because this bonus weekend is somewhat different and there is a wide variety of interpretations of what the bonuses mean being offered and some of us old farts would like to know EXACTLY what is running.

2014 DDO Players Council

The forums isn't really the main place for the announcement
    Why not?

the launcher is along with social media...
    By "social media", do you mean websites belonging to other companies, instead of the website belonging to your company and specifically about your game? If you want to also post it on these other "social media" sites, I doubt anyone would have a problem with that, but there is zero sense in this not being the main place. Why should I have read, say, Facebook, in order to learn what SSG has to say about DDO? That's like Walmart telling me I should get my Walmart groceries from a Bank of America branch instead of the Walmart store.

And have you changed something with the launcher? For years, it's been the case that by the time I see any announcements make it to the launcher, they are usually already obsolete. So I have a years-long habit of paying it's "announcements" no attention. So if you've changed something in the launcher so it actually updates in real time, instead of only on those rare occasions when I launch the launcher, I guess I could try to start actually looking at it again.

Oh, I see it's there, but not in any useful way. The tiny little text box the launcher has doesn't hold much, so I would have to scroll way down to see the bonus announcement. So even if it's updating better now, it's still not a good place to get information.
    Quote Originally Posted by ProducerRowan View Post
    Our final update of 2014 will extend the level cap to 30, which is intended to be DDO’s “permanent” level cap

Community Member

I'm not bitter about it, but I'd like to note that I also only check the official forums for bonus days info, and it would be nice to see a post on the same day it goes live.

I to do not use "social media". I have no interest in any of those platforms. I come here for my DDO info.

with all due respect, thanking all ssg for their work...

your forum should be your main place for announcements imho. just my 2 cents.

there's more you can do. it's not that hard. put free coupon info into the store. put bonus days info into the store. a little place with a couple of sentences\announcement with the added value of making your customers ENTER the store while in game because they want to check them out directly from in-game. this way they'll also see the discounts but they are ALREADY in the store when they see it, just a few clicks away from buying. and clean up the trash from the store and don't give away +2 thieves tools and wands of charm person AKA literal trash, give customers the idea that they WANT to enter the store to check out info. really now. whatever to make customers enter your store. a little corner as info hub, why not.
    Last edited by Valerianus; 02-26-2021 at 03:50 PM.

Hero
    ([ ]'.')>-{===> <( ;..; <)

I must agree. I think it's incredibly poor show to not have your own personal forums as the primary source of information. Unfortunately far too many companies rely on the customers to go to third party websites to look for updates. Not only should they not be required to do this, but with the amount of different social medias means that they don't all always have the same information (Twitter seems to have updated with it 10 hours after Facebook). Not to mention that it often gets buried under other fluff.

The launcher is definitely not a good source of news as it barely has room to show anything which means announcements get buried very fast. Adding to that the pictures are often outdated or even have links that lead to different news.

The forums have a section regarding stuff like this and I think it should be used.

Agree everything should be posted in dev tracker, but at the same time - entire nations have survived much worse.

I think putting a link to twitter in the dev tracker might be beneficial so when we see an obviously missing post like store sales or weekly bonus we can click there to find it. Unless the posting of things is automated to all places there will continue to be an error rate.
    DC Warlock Reaper Build (U48)
    Max DC Illusionist Reaper Build (U48)

Quote Originally Posted by LordDunmore View Post
    I to do not use "social media". I have no interest in any of those platforms. I come here for my DDO info.
    Um...forums are social media?
    My main Orien Bozos - Mozenrath, Messam, Yashamaru, Quackerjack

Hardcore bozos - Koganei, Hoid

Community Member

The forums isn't really the main place for the announcement.
    As an end user who is trained to come to the forums for release notes, notifications of downtime/uptime, dev messages, feedback on whatever was just released that you are looking for feedback on, and everything else that is put out in an official or semi-official capacity I feel compelled to ask why not?

I get that sometimes bleeding edge info can only be found on a youtube or twitch video, but links to those videos almost always end up posted by a dev on the forums for us to easily find and go view if we want to.

The forums are all encompassing with everything. If you guys were to put release notes on twitter and only on twitter I think people would be saying the same thing as this. It makes no sense, the forums are PERCEIVED by your users as the primary communications platform, to put something out only on another platform that some of your users don't use or rarely use is going to continue to leave your users frustrated.

Community Member

And I would say WHY NOTt and WOW what a weak excuse for not doing what is obviously part of the JOB , keeping in contact with the population through all of your games official channels. Are you saying the forums are not part of your organizations website and method for information dissemination. HMM I guess next time SSG posts proposed changes to the game you should not put on the forums then because twitter and its limited characters will do JUST fine. Forums are basically your only vehicle for providing real provider feedback since posting bug reports seems to have little effect and for many quality of life change requests is a inappropriate vehicle.

This is not acceptable.

If there is one place where information should always be posted it is on these forums.

Whoever is in charge of this at SSG really needs to reconsider this. The game forums should always have all information first, social media should not be the main channel of communication.
    Last edited by Dragavon; 03-01-2021 at 06:57 AM.

2014 DDO Players Council

Quote Originally Posted by Seph1roth5 View Post
    Um...forums are social media?
    If you want to define it that way, I don't object, but it doesn't seem the devs agree.

Considering these forums to be "social media" too just reinforces the contention that the information should be posted here, since the excuse was that it wasn't here because it was on "social media" instead.
    Quote Originally Posted by ProducerRowan View Post
    Our final update of 2014 will extend the level cap to 30, which is intended to be DDO’s “permanent” level cap

I'm sorry but that seems pretty stupid to me.

If I want to know information about DDO I go to the DDO web site. I don't go to facebook or twitter which are useless jumbles of information that I can never find anything useful on.
    When you say "social media" are those the two sites you are referring to or to myspace or parler - I'm sorry but I simply I don't know where you mean.
    Where is the facebook ddo page? do I need to be a facebook member to read it?
    Where is the ddo twitter page? do I need to be a twitter member to read it?

As for the launcher that tiny text window that has stuff scrolled out of it isn't that useful either. If I scroll back 4 windows-full NOT 4 line, but 4 clicks on the scrollbar then I can find the message about what's hot. Why is the launcher so small? Why isn't it resizable?

Just an FYI, in many enterprise environments social media sites are at a minimum monitored and in some cases even blocked. Rather than getting onto Big Brother's radar, some people prefer the more attractive option of visiting the Forums on their own time.
    "When asked if the developers hate the players, as they make so many challenging jumping puzzles, their response was that they have what they consider a “… normal amount of contempt for the players.” This is good. A dungeon master should always nurse a healthy contempt for his or her players."

Community Member

Default Please think about this

I only check dev tracker for announcements. My feelings being that official announcements plus dev comments will all show up there and I won't miss anything important. If you want to announce time sensitive info like weekend bonuses on the Chronicle then it should be published at least as soon as the bonus begins. I will occaisionally get info from the launcher, but that is a matter of luck. I dislike facebook and twitter and don't check DDO there unless there is a points giveaway or an unexpected mass DDO shutdown. I don't believe I am alone in this. The very fact that DDO has a place for announcements on its own website implies that it will make its announcements there. Other sites should only be in addition to the official information source.