Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default Snowpeaks festival feedback

I just run the event challenge and I must say it reminded me on the first secret level in hexen. It was a level with 0 enemies, zero challenge and full of health potions and treasure. It took a lot of work to open it but it was totally optional.

I do not mind having a zero challenge event especially since it's the xmas event basically.

I don't understand why we're basically using the mabar distribution of motes/keys with the added slowdown of opening a chest but I'm guessing it was thought that it would feel nice for people to open chests? From the three systems, epic old token fragment drops, collectable drops, remnant drops, this is probably the worst but meh.

edit: I may not have been clear enough, I like the event! I am terrible at mario but this is easy even for me. Not once in my life did I ever succeed at the risia jump, only the parkour find the spot. But I am one of those lucky ones that looked at my bag and had like 50-60 keys randomly.
    Last edited by kmoustakas; 01-25-2021 at 10:09 AM.
    Social justice w...arlock in Sarlona, leader of Scourge of Xaos.
    OkarisRage, Barbarian doing racial past lives
    Noellal raid buffcher - Caldrick apprentice tank - Lemish artificer tank wannabe

Community Member

Yeah, there's really nothing fun about it. More annoyance to me.
    It's like they'll do anything to not fix bugs.

Community Member

Getting the keys is far too random.

I ran over a dozen quests (most long or very long), post update, and not a single chest appeared inspite of them being all EE (and no I didn't kill the mobs before they could decide what type of champion they were). I even got conquest in Dryden's Crypt to try and coax one out - nothing, nada, not a sniff of a chest.

Today I ran 2 quests on EE and hurrah a chest dropped but the frozen key(s) must have all melted as none of my party got one.

I can really understand why people sought out chests in "A Small Problem" (I was not one of them) as the only way that I can run the event atm is using the free keys that we were given.

Quote Originally Posted by J-2 View Post
    Yeah, there's really nothing fun about it. More annoyance to me.
    It's like they'll do anything to not fix bugs.
    IKR, every time I open a chest and there's a key I sigh a little. Already ran it over 30 times, but building up another stack of keys to run that no-challenge slide over and over for the same couple of gems. Plus, seeing the bugs from the event in quests just highlights how bad things have become. Just finished Druids Deep and learned Jussko is actually a Scourge of Snowpeaks! Someone better alert the Harpers!

ScreenShot_2021-01-24.jpg

Community Member

I have really enjoyed the simplicity and low-intensity of the event.

I think it's great that they have one that is mostly played within the regular questing structure.

I like the loot. Something for (almost) everyone in that list.

Nobody has to stop and open a chest if they don't want to. If people find it tiresome, burdensome or a drain on the their xp pot, there is nothing stopping you from ignoring the chests completely.

The slide is cute. I am sure they will do more with it next time.

Two thumbs up.

Community Member

I think its a fun idea. I'd just like to see MORE of it. Different maps for the slide. More rewards available to choose from. And boosting the trade down even to like 3:1 wouldn't hurt...the drop ratio becomes a bottleneck.

I'd love to see the chest open bar reduced to 0.5 sec too, like the Simon puzzles. It can feel a little sloggy when you have a snow chest and a champ chest and both take two seconds to open and another to load before you can move on.

I like the Snow slide event itself, but am not happy with the delivery system for keys. I would like to see them drop in quest end chests or Rare chests in the wilderness, or they could pick specific daily quests that drop them. Either way, like the Snow slide event, don't care for the key delivery system.
    Darkwinn, Milkus, Terismina, Gothmawg, Dreylock, Drunarah, Bigbhamboo, etc on Sarlona / Brixlynn, Mofus, Curgoth, Deidlit, etc on Ghalanda.

Fun fact, the chests can actually block elevators from moving. Just got that in memory quest and it sucked, that quest is long enough without restarting it. One more point for collectables going straight to inventory without chests spawning
    Social justice w...arlock in Sarlona, leader of Scourge of Xaos.
    OkarisRage, Barbarian doing racial past lives
    Noellal raid buffcher - Caldrick apprentice tank - Lemish artificer tank wannabe

My opinion has not changed much since the start of the event.

* Gathering keys is about as exciting as gathering collectibles for Cannith Crafting.

* The Bunny Slope plays like a Secret Cow level that requires no effort to find and gets found often.

* After most of the cosmetic rewards were removed, I dismissed the rest of the rewards. That was unfair.
    .....The festive Augments provide very useful perks for many characters. On average, three runs of the Bunny Slope will earn an Augment. I ended up collecting dozens.
    .....The cosmetic items look professionally done. While not to my tastes, I have seen numerous characters wearing them and they must be counted a great success.
    .....The Animated Snowman looks very cute and has some funny animations. While I rarely use pets, I have seen many players with the Animated Snowman and I ultimately purchased 6 of them.
    .....Many players dismiss the cookies because they flood inventory and provide marginal benefits. However, a smart player can ruthlessly use those cookies to accelerate low level questing. Every year, a few players complain about changing cookie benefits. While some get much worse, others get much better. A smart player will use the good ones and store the bad ones until the bad ones change into good ones. The store needs a Huge Cookie Jar since the Large Cookie Jar is too small. However, one storage character can hold all the cookies.
    .....Many players dismiss the potions but a smart player will bank many of them for low level questing. The Cold Shield potions make quests like Taming the Flames much easier and +30 Jump at level 1 is just fantastic.

* The event favors powerful characters but a smart player of modest skill can still acquire hundreds of keys. As with all events, players with little time to participate will not gain much.

Even though I personally find the event boring, many players enjoy it so good for them. Given the past history of events, I doubt this one will receive any future updates.
    Sophie the Cat Burglar - Creator, Dreamer, Explorer - Happy yet Sad - Seeker of Beauty and Wonder
    I suppose I am playing for now. I wish you all many happy adventures!

Keys do drop in end chests and even regular old champ chests.
    Outatime Exodus
    This character is dedicated to a once great game destroyed by a greedy corperation.. Goodbye Star Wars Galaxays!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MWu8NOa69vM

Community Member

Huge success. I got everything from the event, including quintuplets of the augments. Selling keys now.

I am Awesomesauce!

Intergalactic Space Crusader
    Treasure Hunter

Default Liked

Quote Originally Posted by Marshal_Lannes View Post
    Huge success. I got everything from the event, including quintuplets of the augments. Selling keys now.
    It took me about 100 keys to get everything I wanted.

Life is stressful right now, so I liked the ski part the best. I found it relaxing.

However getting keys was annoying/inconsistent.

Overall I still liked the event due to the skiing after the key finding.

Just playing the game, I'm choking on 130 keys. I don't hate myself enough to run this event that many times. I just give them away to friends and guildies.
    DPS solves all problems. R10 or bust. Khyber: Ying-1, Kobeyashi

Quote Originally Posted by Carpone View Post
    Just playing the game, I'm choking on 130 keys. I don't hate myself enough to run this event that many times. I just give them away to friends and guildies.
    ^^^^This.

I did a TR 1-30 life this week, and collected 70+ keys just in regular questing. Of course did R+ the whole way. No trouble finding keys and did not farm anything. (ok, maybe SC. I'm no savage )
    Mothergoose - Kardinal - Bunks

Community Manager

We do have plans to offer different challenges in Snowpeaks, and we've thought already about what a more skill-based version of the slide might look like, and what its reward structure might be. We'll see what ends up happening in the future, but the first year version of Snowpeaks should be considered the easy anyone-can-do-it version of the event.
    Have fun, and don't forget to gather for buffs!
    Follow DDO on: Facebook Twitter YouTube
    Join us on Twitch!
    Hello from Standing Stone Games! Facebook Twitter
    For Support: https://help.standingstonegames.com

Community Member

Default beep-beep-beep-BEEEP!

The final “beep” at the beginning of the run should be an octave higher than the others.

Community Member Alrik_Fassbauer's Avatar

My personal feedback is more about immersion (like almost all things I write about are about immersion and story(tellinG) :

- Fluffy ? Flurry ? Snowflakey ? looks and sounds like a very naive person on/in Ebberron, a plane she doesn't know a thing about. She is clearly from the Feywild, and my suggestion is thus this :

Please make it more clear that she stems from the Feywild ! That she doesn't really know Eberron (or the Forgotten Realms), doesn't know how to behave there, and that to her everything there must be similar like to us the Feywild is : Strange, following not easily understandable rules and habits ...
    I think it would be a good idea to make her even more naive - even a little bit over-the-top - because a Festival of "Good Cheer" is best with some good laughs !
    I mean that I think that it would totally suit her to be more of an (involuntary) jester than the very grim Prince of Frost ...

To put even more immersion into this event, I'd build a connection between Jack Frost and the Winter Court of the Feywild. Both might be in some kind of competition with one another.
    With Snowy err Fluffy being more of a "damsel in distress" type, whose part in the competition - as some kind of Emissary of the Prince of Frost - has gone ... haywire.

Regarding the racing, I could imagine a course, which is set apart from the other courses, but with the requirement of the Risia Ice Sktes. Maybe it's a competing course set up by Jack Frost ?

I could also imagine passages within the racing ourse which slow the character town, speed the character up, or / and do other tricks with the character - and the player must 6take action to save the character !
    For example, I noticed that on one of my chatacters, she is racing so far that she collides quite hefty with a wall after a curve in the racing course. That almost stops her for a second or two.
    "You are a Tiefling. And a Cleric, with the Domain of the Sun. Doesn't that contradict each other ?" "No, all my friends are playing evil. I found that so boring that I decided to be on the good side. And, besides, Sun and Fire, where is the difference, really ?"

Community Member

I just barely got from 1 to 6 this week, can't do Shan-To-Kor on R1 (granted, I have WHOLE 2 Reaper points) and I only got that far by summoning both Elleri and a regular hireling (pay-to-win.) I got 17 keys in total, and I farmed Kobold Assault. It was still enough to buy some stuff, and if I was completely dead set on getting everything I'd farm with an iconic, but honestly I don't even want to think what this would be like for a completely new player, with no PL gear or feats, no iconics, no tomes, no Reaper points... It would feel like a titanic slog.

Anyway, I like the way the Snowpeaks slide is short and straightforward, though I wish it was somewhere midway between this and frozen river in Eveningstar difficulty-wise, with some reward for better performance. Also, some appropriately cheery background music would be nice, the course feels more forlorn than festive right now without it.

Store elixir is a rip-off, 5% extra chance per chest for an hour just seems like a bad value when farming champions is so much easier. (unless it also applies to snow chests, but even then...)

And, I'm a bit too lazy to post a screenshot of it, but that white round moonlike thing in the centre of the course... Maybe it's my (far from perfect) vision, but I always kinda mistake it for a coin.

Ultimate Completionist
    2014 DDO Players Council
    Open Guild for All Founder - Hardcore

Quote Originally Posted by Cordovan View Post
    We do have plans to offer different challenges in Snowpeaks, and we've thought already about what a more skill-based version of the slide might look like, and what its reward structure might be. We'll see what ends up happening in the future, but the first year version of Snowpeaks should be considered the easy anyone-can-do-it version of the event.
    I did notice the level 1 difficulty.

I was kind of thinking that level 100 could have some large gaps where players fall off the cliff and drop down in boss zones.

Stage 1 - drop into the end fight of Von 6
    Stage 2, 3 - drop into one of the end fights of Gianthold Tor
    Stage 4 - face off Tiamat

As well, the slide could be littered with Ozzes and guarded by hamstring archers sniping from the peaks.

Add a few beholders flying about and some random Kobolds trying to help you, and a few exploding Codex Pages...

Quote Originally Posted by Cordovan View Post
    *smiles sweetly and bookmarks for future pestering*
    Sophie the Cat Burglar - Creator, Dreamer, Explorer - Happy yet Sad - Seeker of Beauty and Wonder
    I suppose I am playing for now. I wish you all many happy adventures!

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast