Default Spells not landing

As the title said, in my past four levels as Air Savant I saw a lot of spells not landing:

- Lightning Bolt: yes, I know is difficult to cast properly; but seeing how the ray pass through several moves without saving throw or damage, several times, even a mob just in front of me, it's just awful
    - Electric Loop: Yes, I see that spells fail to target more than a dozen times in several situations
    - Ball Lightning: Explidong without effect (no save symbol, no damage)
    - Chain Lightning: This is the most strange case because is a great spell, fortunately, the fail on landing is very minor...but still happen

90% of the time I use a spell vs hard target mob (if not 95%)

Anyone is having the same problem?

It is likely the lag. I see it often when lag is at its worst. Same with ranged and melee attacks. They go off, but nothing hits, nothing misses, just see the cool down.
    Last edited by Jaxtan; 01-23-2021 at 05:58 PM.

Community Member

It's definitely at least part lag.

You can slow everything down on your end and connect with more melee attacks and spells however you lose DPS when you do that. By slow everything down I mean wait the extra second to engage a mob that has just activated and make sure that you are in a position where it will not warp towards you as it 'enters' the battlefield.

Another trick when engaging packs is to weave in towards them taking a step to the side as you come in. This tends to make them clump up and turn towards you and you will wind up with at least a hit or two out of a big swing or spell-based splash attack.

I see it quite a bit, and as others have said, it's worse when it's lagging. Which is all the time. It gets real old real quick.
    Proud guild gimp of Synergia! Adults only. Bring beer. Pants optional.
    Banginurz/Chimpinurz/Shagginurz/Spankinurz.

Not with spells but with arrows.
    Also, couldn't go to ship and couldn't enter quest.
    And can not log out.

It is all lag.

Not that they care.
    You nerfed my monks, dailies and alchemists.
    I nerfed your profit on two accounts.

Starting to think we should have a no lag February event. If nobody plays, there won't be any lag. That would fix it.

Same problems on a level 18 Wizard. Also having issues with monsters standing so close the spell passes through them doing no damage at all to the monster.
    Also having the same issue on a level 22 AA ranger. Arrows passing through monsters doing no damage. Manyshot going on cool down but no many shot happening.
    Last edited by Sam1313; 01-24-2021 at 04:01 AM.
    Swift Silent Death from Afar. Long Range Death.

Founder
    Guild Leader - Death Smile

i notice 1 out of 3 spells misfires completely

This issue has been around for a while, but I've extra noticed it since the Feywild release. Where something like Fan of Blades and other similar abilities won't even register on someone right in front of you "out of the blue". As in, it'll work for 5 uses, then all of a sudden a few won't work at all, then it'll work again. All without moving from the same spot.

No known way to get around it at the moment though unfortunately.

J1NG
    Thelanis: Yijing (*Completionist* TR 20 Aasimar Scourge Monk Level 20 / Epic Level 10)
    Thelanis: Pocket-Monks: Sightblur, Peashoote, Jigglypath.
    Invisible Fences, unkillable Target Practice Dummy's, Shared Bank's, Pale Lavender Ioun Stones, the dimensional barrier between Eberron and Shavarath, I've broken them all...

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dark_Lord_Mary View Post
    i notice 1 out of 3 spells misfires completely
    I see about 1 in 20 under "normal" conditions, 1 in 15 with some lag, 1-3 in 10 or more with packet loss from ISP to game servers. If it is any worse then usually it is not just spells but movement, monster spawns etc also come in slow. I think sometimes it is the target's updates lagging rather than the spell, for example when i play next to ranged kiting, targeting misses a lot more, i think the monster position updates arent synced fast enough, hitting a mob pack that didnt had a chance to aggro me or party members 1st rarely misses.

Community Member

my $.02

make sure auto targeting is off and take great care that a target is in the proper arc for casting.

If a target is too close the server may lag think it is behind you kiting backwards helps when they are close. especially bad with bouncing kobold lag.

I had a lot of issues with arcane tempest until I turned off auto target and sometimes I fat finger it back on without noticing. The spell casts but no effect cloud appears.

Quote Originally Posted by PpalP View Post
    As the title said, in my past four levels as Air Savant I saw a lot of spells not landing
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaxtan View Post
    It is likely the lag. I see it often
    Quote Originally Posted by KoobTheProud View Post
    It's definitely at least part lag.
    U48.3 introduced changes to address lag, which unfortunately, make things much worse. Raiding was almost impossible last night; huge 30s lag gaps. Spells going on CD but not hitting in game (eg. cast disco, sp lost, goes on cd, but no ball). Solo'ing helps immensely. I don't see these issues when solo'ing. I see them grouped, but it's not as bad as raiding.

Quote Originally Posted by Bjond View Post
    U48.3 introduced changes to address lag, which unfortunately, make things much worse. Raiding was almost impossible last night; huge 30s lag gaps. Spells going on CD but not hitting in game (eg. cast disco, sp lost, goes on cd, but no ball). Solo'ing helps immensely. I don't see these issues when solo'ing. I see them grouped, but it's not as bad as raiding.
    I've experienced it whilst performing tests in PvP, where there's no movement and neither toons have Reaper Points, and it still happens, despite both toons standing still. So a few normal castings, then suddenly some don't work.

So whatever the issue is, I don't think it's related to any of the fixes that were done in U48.3. And I can confirm as I've been doing tests since Feywilds release and before, that I've most noticed the issue since the Feywild release.

Hopefully that can help the Devs narrow down what changes and modifications they made between then that caused such an issue. Because whilst it occasionally cropped up before, it wasn't as widespread and common until Feywild.

J1NG
    Thelanis: Yijing (*Completionist* TR 20 Aasimar Scourge Monk Level 20 / Epic Level 10)
    Thelanis: Pocket-Monks: Sightblur, Peashoote, Jigglypath.
    Invisible Fences, unkillable Target Practice Dummy's, Shared Bank's, Pale Lavender Ioun Stones, the dimensional barrier between Eberron and Shavarath, I've broken them all...

I had that issue last night and very noticeably. I have played 30+ caster lives so I know what to look for.
    Danskerne
    A Danish Guild on Ghallanda. Send PM if interested.
    Leading Raids Thursdays from 20 CET and Sundays from 21 CET.

Community Member

Yup, happening an awful lot of late...hey, at least it's not as bad as if you were an archer - I've had fights where 1 in 6 arrows hit the target!

Quote Originally Posted by J1NG View Post
    I don't think it's related to any of the fixes that were done in U48.3. And I can confirm as I've been doing tests since Feywilds
    The issues I saw in our Tue raids were different in two ways. The first is magnitude. Usually lag is a bad joke that kills a couple per raid -- a 1~2s event that is annoying and only deadly when it hits at just the wrong time for some few. Tue we had 10~20 30s lag events in every raid.

The second issue is the effect during the lag event. It's not the classic full lockout. There's no hanging in mid-air when you jump. We could still move around, but NONE of the abilities used would have any effect. Spells and abilities would consume sp or boost-counts and go on CD, but that's it.

Things may have been getting slowly worse for a while. If so, it was by tiny steps down. U48.3 took a running leap off a cliff.

I haven't done any big raids since Tue, but Fri is another raid night. So, we'll see if it crops up again.