Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by HungarianRhapsody View Post
    Disney already did that and it was an ENORMOUS success for them and for the park visitors who enjoyed it.
    https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/fa...t-description/
    That's not remotely the same, and if you understand the history of queue development at Disney, you'd know that.

You still have to walk through the park to get to the ride.

ETA: If you want a functioning DDO analogy for Disney's fast pass, it would equivalent to shortening the loading screen to enter the quest once one has clicked the quest entrance popup.
    Last edited by myliftkk_v2; 01-21-2021 at 10:56 AM.

I did not enjoy running to the quests in sands, MOTU, underdark, sshin or demonweb. Nor did I enjoy it in High Road, certainly not thunderholme, definitely NOT wheloon (with its lag hell) or storm horns (they literally included teleporters in both for a reason). I can't say I enjoyed running to every quest in ravenloft - my immersion lasted about 3 quests before I thought the distances involved were utterly absurd.

I understand you think this is immersive and more fun, but how dare you try and assume what you find fun or better is applicable to others. Don't get me wrong, I do enjoy the lore in the game - it's why I run every quest solo before grouping it, so I can read and explore. And that's great for the first run. For the 50th, no I do not care about the lore behind it, how immersive or whatever, that quest is probably a chore I deal with to get back to epics where the game is once again tolerable.

Even with horses being as fast as they are, explorer areas still aren't fun. I don't relish the thought of them - I haven't run Chains of flame in years because the run there is too long for the fun of that quest.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Soulfurnace View Post
    I did not enjoy running to the quests in sands, MOTU, underdark, sshin or demonweb. Nor did I enjoy it in High Road, certainly not thunderholme, definitely NOT wheloon (with its lag hell) or storm horns (they literally included teleporters in both for a reason). I can't say I enjoyed running to every quest in ravenloft - my immersion lasted about 3 quests before I thought the distances involved were utterly absurd.

I understand you think this is immersive and more fun, but how dare you try and assume what you find fun or better is applicable to others. Don't get me wrong, I do enjoy the lore in the game - it's why I run every quest solo before grouping it, so I can read and explore. And that's great for the first run. For the 50th, no I do not care about the lore behind it, how immersive or whatever, that quest is probably a chore I deal with to get back to epics where the game is once again tolerable.

Even with horses being as fast as they are, explorer areas still aren't fun. I don't relish the thought of them - I haven't run Chains of flame in years because the run there is too long for the fun of that quest.
    I never claimed anywhere anything was more fun. That would be a silly claim to make on anyone's behalf.

It is factually more immersive and there are very good commercial and aesthetic reasons for enforcement of an immersive standard when selling a product/experience (why does Disney extremely over perform against every other comparable, for example). Do some people essentially want to sit at a terminal in DDO and play 64-line video poker with nickels until their eyes bleed. Yep. Should DDO be designed around that, no. Personally, if I wanted the Penn National low rent gaming experience I don't need even the artifice of dungeons or dragons for that. I've already posted methods of zip to quest I think fit within acceptable immersion aesthetics, but if we're going to go down the ridiculous Ravenloft route, I'd recommend we just let this crowd click the NPC and get a chest and XP. We already have a not small contingent of players who only login to click a gambling roll which is related to dungeons and dragons how exactly?

"chore", "tolerable", lol. Either one is playing the game, or the game is playing them.

I also happen to find the actual RL explorer area wholly underwhelming and boring, but whether I find a particular adventure zone a meh effort is independent of my thoughts on the RL insta-transport.

Btw, you forgot the Red Fens among a few others.

Community Member

I find explorer areas tedious and boring. When I first started here as f2p, I used to run a whole lot of explorer zones to get xp as I didnt own many packs. If someone wants "Immersion" in a new pack, they can immerse themselves in the slayer area anytime they want. Even riding through the Feywild zone on a mount is a pita as many times you'll get hit by something, arrow or whatever and get dismounted. Just have the questgivers in the castle send us directly to the quests and take the boring, waste of playtime away from people who dont want it. We all pay money for expansion packs and we should have our say when it comes to things like this.

I've never really understood why they don't make a guide an option for all explorer areas. There's really no downside. If you want to just run the quest, you can do so. If you enjoy doing slayers and exploring the wilderness, you can do so.

If they want to make it like 3BC and force people to run the quest (not just find it in the zone, but complete it at least once), that's still better than not having a guide, though I'd prefer to just be able to teleport to the quest.
    All on Thelanis: Archenpaul Sixblade (Epic Completionist), Archernicus Thornwood, Gregorovic Redcloak, Jaklomeo Evermug, Jarladdin Nalfesne, Jonathraxius Kane, and Praetoreus Silvershield (Triple Heroic Completionist, Epic Completionist.)

Sole member of Guinness Knights (Level 142)

Cogito ergo summopere periculosus.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by kenawyn View Post
    I don't like the Ravenloft teleporter NPCs.
    Having played the saga several times now, I still have no idea how the outland area looks.
    Not even once did I bother to walk to the quests on foot or horse - the teleporter NPCs are just too convenient.
    The great thing about the Ravenloft teleport option is that it is just that, an option. You can still run to the quests if you want to. Though, I have no idea why I would want to.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dragavon View Post
    Back when I read that Feywild would not have a teleport to quests option like in Ravenloft I thought: "Ok, they say it is a small area so that will not be so bad I guess."

But it is. Really.

Feywild is not so small after all, running to quests is really getting boring, with how the mobs spawn and how hard it is to see them before you get close enough for them to aggro on you.

It would be really nice to get a teleport NPC like in Ravenloft, or at the very least to general areas like in Sharn cogs.
    If there was no xp pot involved people wouldnt care as much about stuff like this. Its a short ride to all the quests in Feywild and Ravenloft has a cool slayer area. Its too bad they cant do something like letting people pause pots.

Community Member

Didn't the Devs inform us all were playing the game wrong by repeating the same quests too many times, hence the XP nerf? So, should not their own logic follow that we should not be repeating the same Wilderness too many times? Therefore, Teleporters in Feywild and unblock the waterfall path, please; and while you are at it add a few to the Desert. (Hint: It's good for grouping.)

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Justicesfury View Post
    If there was no xp pot involved people wouldnt care as much about stuff like this. Its a short ride to all the quests in Feywild and Ravenloft has a cool slayer area. Its too bad they cant do something like letting people pause pots.
    It's not the xp pot thing that's the problem. It's that there's a significant latency between seeing the lfm, joining it, and actually getting into the quest. From the perspective of a quest LFM poster, operating in an environment where people MIGHT join or might not, it means if someone joins my quest, they often will join right when I'm in the middle of a fight, ask, where's the quest, can you share, and then not know exactly how to get to the quest and require directing. It can often take the LFM from mostly helpful to neutral to actively detracting from the whole affair when time is limited, which is often is. From the perspective of someone looking at the LFM, I see the elapsed time and wonder whether I can get there before the quest is done, whether I'll be delaying them, and the like.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Sho-sa View Post
    Didn't the Devs inform us all were playing the game wrong by repeating the same quests too many times, hence the XP nerf? So, should not their own logic follow that we should not be repeating the same Wilderness too many times? Therefore, Teleporters in Feywild and unblock the waterfall path, please; and while you are at it add a few to the Desert. (Hint: It's good for grouping.)
    The problem with unlocked ports is that it still leaves you with the LFM problem. You post an LFM and people don't know where to get the quests, or where the quests are, or how to get there in the explorer zone, and they take a while to get to the zone and then to get to the quest. Another hint, a lot of people DON'T have horses or fast horses and are slow as molasses getting to quests. Disproportionately, these guys aren't going to have the ports unlocked.
    One central problem is a lot of players only have 15-30 minutes to play at a time. Maybe they're playing at lunchtime, or playing between tasks. They can't amortize group forming delay times over 13 feywild quests. They want to do a quest or three and have people able to easily join them without fuss. Honestly, being able to teleport to any currently running quest with an LFM would be great. Sure the quest poster has to run there, but make LFMs nice and seamless. You'll get way more of them posted then.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by mobrien316 View Post
    I've never really understood why they don't make a guide an option for all explorer areas. There's really no downside. If you want to just run the quest, you can do so. If you enjoy doing slayers and exploring the wilderness, you can do so.

If they want to make it like 3BC and force people to run the quest (not just find it in the zone, but complete it at least once), that's still better than not having a guide, though I'd prefer to just be able to teleport to the quest.
    3BC quests are worth a TON of xp, especially compared to their same level competition....cough...Fire Caves...TTT. It's ok to have that sort of thing when the quests are as xp rich as 3BC. Back before they adjusted 3bc for way more xp, it was rarely run.

Back when I read that Feywild would not have a teleport to quests option like in Ravenloft I thought: "Ok, they say it is a small area so that will not be so bad I guess."

But it is. Really.

Feywild is not so small after all, running to quests is really getting boring, with how the mobs spawn and how hard it is to see them before you get close enough for them to aggro on you.

It would be really nice to get a teleport NPC like in Ravenloft, or at the very least to general areas like in Sharn cogs.

No thanks, I'd be fine with a gianthold like teleportation system where you physically go out to the way points...maybe fey circles and have a fey circle in the city and boom. Earned teleportation in key locations.
    Veriden, Orien server: Lost count of lives. 3 of all base classes, 3 halfling, 2 gnome...working on trying to make the game work again. May or may not return.

Community Member HungarianRhapsody's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by myliftkk_v2 View Post
    That's not remotely the same, and if you understand the history of queue development at Disney, you'd know that.

You still have to walk through the park to get to the ride.

ETA: If you want a functioning DDO analogy for Disney's fast pass, it would equivalent to shortening the loading screen to enter the quest once one has clicked the quest entrance popup.
    This comment is as fact based and as insightful and as logical as the rest of your comments in this thread.
    No one in the world ever gets what they want
    And that is beautiful
    Everybody dies frustrated and sad
    And that is beautiful

If your competitors offer a lag free gaming experience and you do not, you will lose customers to your competitors.

If your competitors offer a scaling user interface and you do not, you will lose customers to your competitors.

If your competitors can provide a play experience largely free of bugs and you do not, you will lose customers to your competitors.

If your competitors offer satisfying customer support and you do not, you will lose customers to your competitors.

If your competitors offer the ability to easily and quickly enter group dungeons and you do not, you will lose customers to competitors.

Every game experiences ups and downs, triumphs and hiccups. DDO has good bones. However, no game can stand still and expect to remain competitive. If almost every other game offers an attractive way for players to quickly jump in and play a dungeon or two and you do not, you will lose many potential customers and some regulars, too.

This is not about "lore". That ship sailed 15 years ago when someone figured out that quickly putting people together in an exciting dungeon sells extremely well. Running simulators do not sell. Fantasy group murder simulators sell extremely well.
    Sophie the Cat Burglar - Creator, Dreamer, Explorer - Happy yet Sad - Seeker of Beauty and Wonder
    I suppose I am playing for now. I wish you all many happy adventures!

ddo still has a prehistoric vision of movement

gearing for movement speed is the first silly thing, what had they in mind really, we should start lessening the "effects active on players" by upping movement speed to match striding 30 and deleting\changing other speed effects\gear accordingly

second, when they introduced mounts they almost stopped with fast travel options. also the feywild premium teleport item is lacking, another slap in customers face, at least they had the decency of not requiring a p2p feature like "ride skill" (like lotro, and in lotro mounts are an absolute must-have, but this is another matter), so fast movement as a convenience. yes nice everything is nice and welcome but how about jumping into action if you join a quest in progress?

i really like to explore wilderness areas, but they are empty. they offer only exp, this matters for many players, prefer play some quest then + this game has no instance finder\teleport-to-quest-from-wherever-in-the-world, and ddo does not need this, the world is really small, but moving thru wilderness to enter quest is stone age, put together this two facts and realize new players wont understand this old stuff, guide npcs are required everywhere. moving thru wilderness is also unleashing the special ddo feature known as dungeon alert, creating a mess.
    Last edited by Valerianus; 01-23-2021 at 07:03 AM.

With some exceptions then most people that move through explore areas are only doing it to get to the quests. Having full groups move through Feywild with many active mobs and red DA is a waste of server resources and I have no doubt it can sometimes create lag.

Giving us an option to teleport directly to the quest entrance without triggering any mobs makes sense on so many levels. Less time wasted for players, lower server load when no mobs are activaded and trying to follow players through the area.

People that want to run the explorea area can do that as much as they want.

Quote Originally Posted by Annex View Post
    If your competitors offer a lag free gaming experience and you do not, you will lose customers to your competitors.

If your competitors offer a scaling user interface and you do not, you will lose customers to your competitors.

If your competitors can provide a play experience largely free of bugs and you do not, you will lose customers to your competitors.

If your competitors offer satisfying customer support and you do not, you will lose customers to your competitors.

If your competitors offer the ability to easily and quickly enter group dungeons and you do not, you will lose customers to competitors.

Every game experiences ups and downs, triumphs and hiccups. DDO has good bones. However, no game can stand still and expect to remain competitive. If almost every other game offers an attractive way for players to quickly jump in and play a dungeon or two and you do not, you will lose many potential customers and some regulars, too.

This is not about "lore". That ship sailed 15 years ago when someone figured out that quickly putting people together in an exciting dungeon sells extremely well. Running simulators do not sell. Fantasy group murder simulators sell extremely well.
    Well said.
    Blood Scented Axe Body Spray (Thelanis)
    Aelonwy - Wydavir - Metaluscious - Aertimys - Phantastique - Kaelaria - Lunaura - Aelurawynn - Saurscha - Crystalorn - Aurvaeyn - Vaelyns - Wyllowynd

People that want to run the explorea area can do that as much as they want.
    Agreed. Just because RL had fast access to quests did not mean I never used the wilderness zone. I like wilderness zones and enjoy exploring them for myself. I enjoy and appreciate knowing where locations of dungeons are in relation to each other and the surrounding landscape. It increases the immersion for me. But sometimes you just want to do a string of quests, one right after the other as a group and for that purpose quest teleporters are useful, convenient, and allow the group-fun to continue at a reasonable pace.

Choice. Allowing your players choice is always best. Feel like running the wilderness zone for a half hour? Do it. Feel like running a que of quests without wasting 10 mins of XP pots between each one? Do that too. Choice.
    Blood Scented Axe Body Spray (Thelanis)
    Aelonwy - Wydavir - Metaluscious - Aertimys - Phantastique - Kaelaria - Lunaura - Aelurawynn - Saurscha - Crystalorn - Aurvaeyn - Vaelyns - Wyllowynd

Quote Originally Posted by HungarianRhapsody View Post
    I spent a lot of time and effort learning to play the trumpet. That means you should be forced to listen to me play the trumpet, right? (Warning: I am NOT good at playing the trumpet.)

I am not opposed to people going into wilderness areas. I don’t think people should be banned from wilderness areas. But this is a game. We play it because we want to play it. If it is well designed and enjoyable enough my and rewarding enough for players to choose to spend time in the wilderness, that’s awesome. But “someone spent time and effort on this and therefore you should be forced to experience it” is just absurd for a game.
    I wouldn't and don't pay you to play the trumpet for me, so no, I don't see how forcing me to listen to you makes any sort of sense in this scenario.

If I were paying you and didn't listen, I would consider that somewhat wasteful on my part.

If I did pay you, then yes, I would listen to you play at least once, and then, if I decide your play IS too tedious, I would probably skip future playings.

I do pay SSG to give me an immersive world, and I expect you do to. You want this to feel at least somewhat realistic. We want a fun game but we also want it to be a little more than simply teleporting from one quest to the next. I certainly do. That IS the point of DDO, to take you to fantastic worlds so you can kill things there.

Do you not understand that everything in the game (in any game) is a forced scenario? Why make you go through the marketplace? Why make it possible to teleport to a house and then make you run to the quests once you get there. You are forced to do that.

The developers COULD just make a teleport that teleports you into any quest. Why don't they? Because they WANT you to feel like you are in a game world. They want you to have to explore. They want you to have a sense of where things are and how they fit into the geography. And the game is lessened if that world feel is lost.

Why do you think the Wizards of the Coast put limitations on getting to Eveningstar? The want you to be painfully aware that this is a separate plane of existence and that travel there is more than just simply a teleport from your ship. It's a pain in the neck. But it is exactly for the same reason I am saying.

If you make it too easy to get places you lose the sense of it being a real world and it does impact the tone of the game.

So, yeah, I think making travel too easy is wrong. And yeah, I think there should be some way to force you to do it once then give you a pass. I think it is the perfect compromise. But some don't want compromise, they only want it their way.

The options are
    1. No teleport (current)
    2. Add teleport after one run through
    3. Add teleport full time.

You have to admit, 2 is better than 1 which is the current status.
    Last edited by TedSandyman; 01-23-2021 at 01:47 PM.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by TedSandyman View Post
    But some don't want compromise, they only want it their way.
    I mostly agree with you, except this point. You're not really compromising either, you've just declared our view as "the perfect compromise". How convenient.

What if I believe everyone should walk from korthos, forced to /sleep for a few hours every few miles, you should take con damage that stays with you until you rest back in a proper tavern. Especially if it's raining, or snowing, or a desert.?

Then you're not compromising with me at all, you're just saying what you want. (Which again, I do actually agree with you)

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast