Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Community Member

Default Why?

Quote Originally Posted by axan22 View Post
    With mount takes like 1 min max to get to any quest, but if people need to rush so much then maybe open up teleport when found all explorers like some other areas, or charge shards, that's ddo convenience you pay for.
    Why do people think it is ok to charge a second time for the content that was paid for?

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Alrik_Fassbauer View Post
    I guess you haven't played the "Against the demon queen" chain recently ?
    That's why chains of flame gets run so rarely honestly, and the reason ADQ in general gets run so rarely.
    Wiz king is close by to the entrance of the zone, and it is really good xp, so it gets run a fair bit. Its still the least common daily of the von3/4 spies wiz king set, about on par with TTT, which has the same feature.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by HungarianRhapsody View Post
    If you don't like the fact that you have no idea how the outland area looks...

you could go look at it.
    lol. this

Quote Originally Posted by HungarianRhapsody View Post
    If you don't like the fact that you have no idea how the outland area looks...

you could go look at it.
    You owe me that mouthful of coffee back.

Edit: also signed on the teleporter.

Added note. Raise the slayer area to 7500.
    Proud guild gimp of Synergia! Adults only. Bring beer. Pants optional.
    Banginurz/Chimpinurz/Shagginurz/Spankinurz.

Quote Originally Posted by Dragavon View Post
    Back when I read that Feywild would not have a teleport to quests option like in Ravenloft I thought: "Ok, they say it is a small area so that will not be so bad I guess."

But it is. Really.

Feywild is not so small after all, running to quests is really getting boring, with how the mobs spawn and how hard it is to see them before you get close enough for them to aggro on you.

It would be really nice to get a teleport NPC like in Ravenloft, or at the very least to general areas like in Sharn cogs.
    I would like to counter this with an alternative. For every quest giver in the game, when you say "Repeat this quest", it should pop up the quest panel and you can directly enter into the quest rather than having to run to the quest entrance. You shouldn't need to even enter the explorer area or even leave the bar to repeat a quest.
    Last edited by ahpook; 01-19-2021 at 06:28 PM.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by kenawyn View Post
    I don't like the Ravenloft teleporter NPCs.
    Having played the saga several times now, I still have no idea how the outland area looks.
    Not even once did I bother to walk to the quests on foot or horse - the teleporter NPCs are just too convenient.

IMHO the Sharn Cogs method works much better.
    You have to do some exploring first and once you unlock the teleport locations you can reach the quests faster.

I also like the Three-Barrel Cove NPC, that can take you to any quest, but only after you have completed them.
    The scrolls and kills quests out there are absurdly easy XP. It's not as if there is no incentive to run around in the wilderness. It's just that you don't have to do it if you don't want to. I think that's a good design, but I also agree that the other zones you mention are a nice compromise.

While we are at it, I really wish that Sands of Mech. had a teleporter NPC. At least something like gianthold has, where you can save some running after you have already explored the zone.

I think a teleport to broad areas of the outdoor zone should be considered.

Such as a teleport to swamp and northern ice area.

Yeah its not so much time to make the run in the grand scheme of things, but you get a bunch of people riding horses and red skulls, and just not a good look for the game.
    The Nak Abides - Argo - Ascent
    Ganak Goblinjuicer ~ Xanak the Irregular

Quote Originally Posted by kenawyn View Post
    No, I don't have a problem with that.

Its just - why should I care how the outland looks? The game made no effort to peak my interest.
    Not to mention the environment looks dark and oppressing - not a place I would want to walk around aimlessly.
    When talking with the NPCs you get no quest hooks, no banter, no POIs that would justify exploring.

And then you are presented with a fast and easy way to get to the quests - I would be an idiot not to take the option.

From my point of view all the effort that went into developing the outland area was wasted, since I am skipping it every time.

Compare this with the Three-Barrel Cove approach.
    When you start the quest-chain, there are no shortcuts - you are forced to walk or ride.
    By doing so you get to enjoy the scenery - which is much better on the eyes (colors, water, foliage)
    On epics you are rewarded with some nice surprise airship battles and you get to play with the inhabitants

Since it is not optional the time spent designing the outland was not wasted.

Finally - once you have completed the quests and want to farm - you can still do that efficiently having unlocked the shortcuts.
    I think it has a superior design when it comes to travel - fast travel.
    I like the idea of the 3bc approach.

It makes no sense to me for the developers to spend so much time on an outdoor area and not force everyone to do at least a little exploring to see the artwork.

I'm sure some of you would prefer to have an NPC on the ship that directly teleports you to ANY quest in the game and then you teleports directly back to the ship after the quest.

I mean, what's the purpose of any of the public spaces? The game could be written so that you don't have to run anywhere?

The purpose is to give some kind of feel to the game. To give an experience of belonging in an actual world that actually exists. It's kind of the point of Dungeons and Dragons in general.

One can argue that some of the travel is excessive, and I would agree. But to take it out is also wrong in my opinion.

The best solution, again, in my opinion, is to force you to run the area, then give you the option to skip.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by TedSandyman View Post

It makes no sense to me for the developers to spend so much time on an outdoor area and not force everyone to do at least a little exploring to see the artwork.

I'm sure some of you would prefer to have an NPC on the ship that directly teleports you to ANY quest in the game and then you teleports directly back to the ship after the quest.

I mean, what's the purpose of any of the public spaces? The game could be written so that you don't have to run anywhere?

The purpose is to give some kind of feel to the game. To give an experience of belonging in an actual world that actually exists. It's kind of the point of Dungeons and Dragons in general.

One can argue that some of the travel is excessive, and I would agree. But to take it out is also wrong in my opinion.

The best solution, again, in my opinion, is to force you to run the area, then give you the option to skip.
    I would be ok if this was once and done, but any time you TR you have to refind the explorer points again, to teleport.

I am sorry i really loved Ravenloft because i didn't have to spend time, life after life finding quests or explorers to get to them quickly

Community Member HungarianRhapsody's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TedSandyman View Post

I spent a lot of time and effort learning to play the trumpet. That means you should be forced to listen to me play the trumpet, right? (Warning: I am NOT good at playing the trumpet.)

I am not opposed to people going into wilderness areas. I don’t think people should be banned from wilderness areas. But this is a game. We play it because we want to play it. If it is well designed and enjoyable enough my and rewarding enough for players to choose to spend time in the wilderness, that’s awesome. But “someone spent time and effort on this and therefore you should be forced to experience it” is just absurd for a game.
    No one in the world ever gets what they want
    And that is beautiful
    Everybody dies frustrated and sad
    And that is beautiful

100% signed! At the very least, like 3BC but, as someone who TRs, does first time reaper bonuses, then jumps back onto the hamster wheel to optimise reaper XP, being able to do it on a fresh life would save me from having to run there every single life

Quote Originally Posted by Mininin67 View Post
    Why do people think it is ok to charge a second time for the content that was paid for?
    Because some people have gotten so used to mobile games making you pay for everything they can possibly think of, make up, every imaginary and arbitrary hurdle and speed bump they shoe-horned in on purpose to turn around and charge you $$ to get past.

I have been advocating (since the xpack debuted) for a teleport guide to send you to at least the shrine in the snowy area between the two quests there, and the shrine in the pixie village.
    Blood Scented Axe Body Spray (Thelanis)
    Aelonwy - Wydavir - Metaluscious - Aertimys - Phantastique - Kaelaria - Lunaura - Aelurawynn - Saurscha - Crystalorn - Aurvaeyn - Vaelyns - Wyllowynd

Default Hyrsam waypoints

Feywild is a small explorer area. So we probably do not need a teleport. That being said:

Hyrsam locations could be a good way to unlock teleport spots. Upon discovering a Hyrsam location, that would give you another spot to teleport. There are a few that are so close to the entrance to Wynwood Hall, but just an idea.

Aside from that. Just a teleport to (3) locations would be good. (Pixie Village, Edge of Winter, Fountain near Singing Sword) Those alone would be ok.

Of course there is simply just a teleport to quest entrance upon completion like 3bc.

Either way, it is a much smaller explorer zone compared to others, so get on your horse and ride.
    Mothergoose - Kardinal - Bunks

Community Member

I would be ok if this was once and done, but any time you TR you have to refind the explorer points again, to teleport.

I am sorry i really loved Ravenloft because i didn't have to spend time, life after life finding quests or explorers to get to them quickly
    A balanced solution might look like so:

1. If someone finds all the explorer points on a map, they auto-unlock all teleports to quests for their toon, and they also receive in inventory an unbound, consumable, not stackable (shout out to our super-dupers), map of the explorer area.
    2. Upon consumption, said map will unlock all teleport options for the explorer to which it pertains and can be auctioned/traded/sold.
    3. Making a run to a quest and completing said quest also should unlock the teleport option for just that quest.

If players don't want to run to quests in future lives, then trade something of value to those who do like complete explorers.

Most ease of use items ought to be handled by in game trade between those who like to do something, and those who don't.

Default Feywild Far Points Teleport

Feywild has a marvelous visual look, new (and stranger) enemies, some variety of environments (Sping, Winter, Swapm Areas).
    Its far to be a huge area like Barovia and not so rough terrain as Gianthold or Storm Horns (with a lot off dead ends, and areas hard access areas), but still a large map.
    So, imo could be added a teleport like on this areas 'style', with a checkpoint that need to be reach before u are able to use it.

I mean, this kind of teleporter saves a lot of time (that could be using questing) and doesnt remove the wilderness experience since dont put your infront at quests (like on Barovia).

PS.: Could be fine some additional Wilderness named loot too. . .
    Last edited by SycronIV; 01-21-2021 at 07:59 AM.

Community Member

Default Agreee to disagreee

Quote Originally Posted by SycronIV View Post
    So, imo could be added a teleport like on this areas 'style', with a checkpoint that need to be reach before u are able to use it.

It seems all that love adventure zones don't want people who don't love them to have a choice.

I want to be able to go to quests without going thru an adventure zone if I so choose. If i want to roam around and get explorers I will, but why must every expansion that has an adventure zone be explored before I can quest?

I will keep going back to it Ravenloft in my world was perfect, I could do the quests and when i want to I can do the adventure zone, see i get to choose how my leisure time is spent

Community Member

It seems all that love adventure zones don't want people who don't love them to have a choice.

I want to be able to go to quests without going thru an adventure zone if I so choose. If i want to roam around and get explorers I will, but why must every expansion that has an adventure zone be explored before I can quest?

I will keep going back to it Ravenloft in my world was perfect, I could do the quests and when i want to I can do the adventure zone, see i get to choose how my leisure time is spent
    Ravenloft was probably the most illogical and out of context use of teleporters ever. The purpose of the adventure zone is to set context for the quests, and to the extent one can zip past said context, and in context solution is either knowledge of how to get to the quest beforehand via a map or via having travelled to the quest before in that life.

Ravenloft's solution suggests why even go to the quest at all? There's no reason a toon needs context for the chest at the end, if the same toon don't need context for the quest. They can certainly release a lot more quests if they don't actually have to create the geometry for them. Just make them text click boxes at the quest giver. Toons can click text messages in the tavern at an NPC and then give the toon a chest at the end. Certainly most of these players have builds for which auto-completion is assured, so I'd be in favor of conserving server resources and letting them play the Zork-verson of DDO they are truly asking for..

They get their chest and XP, I get my performance back everywhere else in the game.

Community Member

Default Roflol

Quote Originally Posted by myliftkk_v2 View Post
    Ravenloft was probably the most illogical and out of context use of teleporters ever. The purpose of the adventure zone is to set context for the quests, and to the extent one can zip past said context, and in context solution is either knowledge of how to get to the quest beforehand via a map or via having travelled to the quest before in that life.

Ravenloft's solution suggests why even go to the quest at all? There's no reason a toon needs context for the chest at the end, if the same toon don't need context for the quest. They can certainly release a lot more quests if they don't actually have to create the geometry for them. Just make them text click boxes at the quest giver. Toons can click text messages in the tavern at an NPC and then give the toon a chest at the end. Certainly most of these players have builds for which auto-completion is assured, so I'd be in favor of conserving server resources and letting them play the Zork-verson of DDO they are truly asking for..

They get their chest and XP, I get my performance back everywhere else in the game.
    Taking it to the extreme?
    I get that people care about the story and what not < I am not one who cares > All I want is the choice.

If you care that if feels right and that pixel X sent you to talk to pixel Y to help them solve their issue more power to you.

All i want is the choice which Sharn and now Fey did not give At least Sharn has ports once you find them but still I want the choice.

Lett me say it one more time in case you missed it
    I want the choice on if I use an Adventure zone

Community Member

Taking it to the extreme?
    I get that people care about the story and what not < I am not one who cares > All I want is the choice.

If you care that if feels right and that pixel X sent you to talk to pixel Y to help them solve their issue more power to you.

All i want is the choice which Sharn and now Fey did not give At least Sharn has ports once you find them but still I want the choice.

Lett me say it one more time in case you missed it
    I want the choice on if I use an Adventure zone
    Removing all adventure zone context is the extreme choice. It was extreme when Ravenloft did it. Getting rid of the actual running of the quest altogether would be totally consistent with that. Click on the NPC, get your chest and XP.

What you want is them to sell you the last chapter in a book.

The most fun thing about it would be you'd absolutely stand there clicking an NPC for a quest completion with chest and XP over and over. Why, because even if you scoffed at first, you'd watch someone else do it, and they would get "stuff" faster and you'd feel compelled to do the same. And even better, if they then released a quest you had to run to get a chest and XP, you'd totally complain it wasn't just clicking an NPC.

Your opinion has been entirely manufactured by a terrible design decision from SSG on Ravenloft that should have never existed, thus your choice isn't even your choice (as if Disney would let you teleport from the park entrance to Space Mountain).

Community Member HungarianRhapsody's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by myliftkk_v2 View Post
    Removing all adventure zone context is the extreme choice. It was extreme when Ravenloft did it. Getting rid of the actual running of the quest altogether would be totally consistent with that. Click on the NPC, get your chest and XP.

What you want is them to sell you the last chapter in a book.

The most fun thing about it would be you'd absolutely stand there clicking an NPC for a quest completion with chest and XP over and over. Why, because even if you scoffed at first, you'd watch someone else do it, and they would get "stuff" faster and you'd feel compelled to do the same. And even better, if they then released a quest you had to run to get a chest and XP, you'd totally complain it wasn't just clicking an NPC.

Your opinion has been entirely manufactured by a terrible design decision from SSG on Ravenloft that should have never existed, thus your choice isn't even your choice (as if Disney would let you teleport from the park entrance to Space Mountain).
    Disney already did that and it was an ENORMOUS success for them and for the park visitors who enjoyed it.
    https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/fa...t-description/
    No one in the world ever gets what they want
    And that is beautiful
    Everybody dies frustrated and sad
    And that is beautiful

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast