Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Community Member

Default Are Inquisitives still any good?

As per title.

I am considering turning my shifter druid into a paladin/ranger/artificer inquisitive, but i am not sure if they are any good anymore.

It does not seem like i can get it to deal more than 4500 dps or something like that and it seems a bit low.

Id like to be able to solo reaper 1
    Check out my website for calculating DPS and damage mitigation: http://mmlddo.com

Quote Originally Posted by Ultinoob View Post
    As per title.

I am considering turning my shifter druid into a paladin/ranger/artificer inquisitive, but i am not sure if they are any good anymore.

It does not seem like i can get it to deal more than 4500 dps or something like that and it seems a bit low.

They are still good in my opinion just not broken like they kinda were...

You say 4.5K dmg is low but you don't say where that is exactly. Is that at level 20 or level 30 etc, what past lives do you have, what gear and stat tomes do you have. All of these things add up rapidly.

Stoner81.

Community Member HungarianRhapsody's Avatar

As per title.

Good? Yes.

Great? Not really.

There are much better options even though Inquisitive is still just fine in Normal through Elite and R1.
    No one in the world ever gets what they want
    And that is beautiful
    Everybody dies frustrated and sad
    And that is beautiful

They seem pretty good to me.

I came back to the game this year after several years away, and recently TR'd my main character (with only a few past lives and some old and outdated gear) into an Inquisitive Eldritch Knight build. I've been able to solo level smoothly so far running quests at R1. I'd left the game before they introduced Reaper difficulty, so I'm having to learn that too and it's still been fine.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by HungarianRhapsody View Post
    Good? Yes.

Great? Not really.

There are much better options even though Inquisitive is still just fine in Normal through Elite and R1.
    What?

Basically anything can work N-R1, Inquisitives are a LOT stronger than you let on. They're still one of the most powerful builds in the game. Sure now you can't level on a class with zero ranged feats/support naked with just a ratcatcher but they're still insanely strong If you do a proper class split.

The very best players with perfectly optimized builds pushing high skull raids are going to run a thrower instead as it wins at the very highest levels of play, but that doesn't mean inquisitive is relegated to N-R1 baby mode.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Stoner81 View Post
    They are still good in my opinion just not broken like they kinda were...

You say 4.5K dmg is low but you don't say where that is exactly. Is that at level 20 or level 30 etc, what past lives do you have, what gear and stat tomes do you have. All of these things add up rapidly.

Stoner81.
    Well this was theory crafting a build where i assumed id have all the past lives and tomes. This was at level 30 using nightshade shooter.
    Check out my website for calculating DPS and damage mitigation: http://mmlddo.com

Community Member

Well this was theory crafting a build where i assumed id have all the past lives and tomes. This was at level 30 using nightshade shooter.
    Well if you're trying to theorycraft a min-maxed inqui then you probably want to be using Splinters.

Also a pal/ranger/arti seems an unorthodox split...Inqui lacks the AP to really make use of three-class splits, and Pal is a very defensive option if you feel you're lacking in DPS (since T5 KotC is off the table). Likewise Ranger is great for solo leveling splits but doesnt offer as much if you want to push skulls at endgame...you'll want to give up those nice low-level autogrant feats for something that offers more at the top end, maybe Rogue, and just take all your feats manually when you can. Or FvS, and bring some solid healing alongside your DPS.

Community Member HungarianRhapsody's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by FlavoredSoul View Post
    What?

Basically anything can work N-R1, Inquisitives are a LOT stronger than you let on. They're still one of the most powerful builds in the game. Sure now you can't level on a class with zero ranged feats/support naked with just a ratcatcher but they're still insanely strong If you do a proper class split.

The very best players with perfectly optimized builds pushing high skull raids are going to run a thrower instead as it wins at the very highest levels of play, but that doesn't mean inquisitive is relegated to N-R1 baby mode.
    Like I said, they're good. They just aren't great.

The same people who can run high difficulty content on an Inquisitive can also do the same on a dozen other builds. The place where Inquisitive really shines is exactly in the N-R1 content because you can still do N-R1 content on an Inquisitive with zero past lives and close to zero gear where that isn't viable on better builds that can take on harder content with better gear/past lives/etc.
    No one in the world ever gets what they want
    And that is beautiful
    Everybody dies frustrated and sad
    And that is beautiful

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by droid327 View Post
    Well if you're trying to theorycraft a min-maxed inqui then you probably want to be using Splinters.

Also a pal/ranger/arti seems an unorthodox split...Inqui lacks the AP to really make use of three-class splits, and Pal is a very defensive option if you feel you're lacking in DPS (since T5 KotC is off the table). Likewise Ranger is great for solo leveling splits but doesnt offer as much if you want to push skulls at endgame...you'll want to give up those nice low-level autogrant feats for something that offers more at the top end, maybe Rogue, and just take all your feats manually when you can. Or FvS, and bring some solid healing alongside your DPS.
    Yes you are right about splinters but that doesn't push it that much closer to 5000 dps.

The split was to intended to use all special shots available. you have divine sacrifice, sniper shot, exalted smite, aimed shot and shoot later.

Enhancement split is like this: 41 inq, 13 deepwood, 19 kotc, 7 feydark using char to damage.

Thanks for your input i will think about it.

They are about 80% as strong as they were before and pretty much the master of single target ranged DPS. Inquisilock is a VERY strong combo for racial PL's giving you good CC and single target DPS. Granted I found both got very boring very quickly so while it's a good build personally I avoid it.
    I wish i could press snowflakes in a book like flowers.
    Some people are like glow sticks. You just wanna snap 'em and then shake the heck out of them until the lights come on.

Quote Originally Posted by HungarianRhapsody View Post
    Like I said, they're good. They just aren't great.
    LOL If you know HOW to build one they are great and that is after the nerf. A raid is about 12 players not one BTW
    Ozzgood 45, 48, 24, 39, 110. Ozzbad 37, 41, 15, 36, 82. Ozzugly 45, 48, 21, 36, 119. EvilOzz 40, 48, 12, 37, 110. Ozzistheworst 38, 38, 15, 6, 58. and Alts on Khyber
    Past Lives: Heroic, Epic, Iconic, Racial., Reaper Points,
    Started Playing DDO In February 2010

Yes you are right about splinters but that doesn't push it that much closer to 5000 dps.

The split was to intended to use all special shots available. you have divine sacrifice, sniper shot, exalted smite, aimed shot and shoot later.

Enhancement split is like this: 41 inq, 13 deepwood, 19 kotc, 7 feydark using char to damage.

Special shots are 1 off try looking at WHAT gives constant damage and a little hint is USE Int to hit and damage
    Ozzgood 45, 48, 24, 39, 110. Ozzbad 37, 41, 15, 36, 82. Ozzugly 45, 48, 21, 36, 119. EvilOzz 40, 48, 12, 37, 110. Ozzistheworst 38, 38, 15, 6, 58. and Alts on Khyber

As per title.

If I am running solo I do R2 or 3 depending on the quest as I want to get from A to B ASAP and not waste time off my pot

As far as ranged goes. Inquisitive is still good.

There are many ways to build an Inquisitive and many ways to play one. As it was already mentioned in this thread, 3 class splits of any kind is hard due to action points. If you are going dual xbows, you are basically 41 ap spent in your inquisitive tree alone.

I've done a handful of paladin xbow builds, repeater/dual/Gxbow, and yeah they can be tanky. In my opinion, that is what a pally xbow build has going for them. More defense, less offense. Paladins best attacks are cleave attacks, but as a ranged build(outside IMP) you are hitting 1 target at a time with the paladin special attacks. So not that great.

If you want the insta kill ability of a ranged inquisitive build, skip KoTC and go Shadowdancer. SD will offer better all around for a inquisitive giving a few insta kill abilities.

Some say defense is good on ranged, but others say better dps is the way to go. Frankly, if you kill the mob before they attack you, then you could have zero defense and still be good. If you are talking about low reaper (R1-R3), concentrate on offense. High reaper (r8-r10) is a totally different conversation.
    Mothergoose - Kardinal - Bunks

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by MistaMagic View Post
    Special shots are 1 off try looking at WHAT gives constant damage and a little hint is USE Int to hit and damage
    CHA to dmg is just as good as INT to dmg for Divines, really. Its the lack of a Trance in FI that's the big difference with Harper, but they get Divine Might.

But yes, special attacks are 1 every 6 secs (usually), as opposed to about 9 regular attack cycles. That's 45[W] on an endgame 5[W] weapon, so putting in another 2 or 3[W] on top of that really isnt moving the needle much...whereas adding a chunk of extra damage every attack adds up fast.

Imho you need more in Deepwood Stalker for Thrill of the Hunt and Killer. Switch to Harper tree for INT to-hit and damage along with Know the Angles, you can also pick up some Ranged Power there too but it's not much but every bit helps.

I run in Shiradi all the time on my Inquis, with all the baked in CC it's just crazy good. Combine Hunts End with Shoot Later plus Hallowed Splinters and your crits will be 20K+

I've not really done a Divine version for Inquis since I have found a split that I like so I stick with it.

Stoner81.

Honestly, if you were assuming this...
    You would probably have the gear to play something greater than Inquisitive (the nerf to IPS has been devastating to range, period).

If you are just looking for "Good" then anything will work with "all past lives and tomes."

p.s. If you define "Good" as anything @5k DPS, or above, then maybe someone can see if a build is possible to sustain that. I'm not sure any ranged (bow) build can reach 5k DPS sustained and Precise Shot is still a long way from being useful with a game created to be "action" based. GL.
    Quote Originally Posted by hp1055cm View Post
    They have been tweaking the game since I started and often I disagree with them. They focus on wrong stuff, over or under compensate and abandon too much stuff. Every once in awhile they get something right, if only temporarily.

Inquisitive is mechanically capable of soloing R1 from level 4 to 30. Knowledge of the quests, past lives, class split, gear and your skill determines how quickly you can solo R1.
    DPS solves all problems. R10 or bust. Khyber: Ying-1, Kobeyashi

They're still good, but not nearly what they were. In a balanced party, they still add a lot of value. Soloing, the IPS nerf hits pretty hard, especially in epic levels, so expect to do lots of kiting while running backwards when you don't have NHB active. I wouldn't use pally. I think ranger/rogue/arti or rogue/arti are the way to go if you're looking to maximize your offense. You'll definitely want an improved deception item since that adds a lot to your dps.

Community Member

As per title.

Inquisitor is ruined. They killed it. Play an Alchemist until the crying people in here pressure the Devs to nerf that too. Remember anytime something new comes out SSG does its bait and switch Con by nerfing the class or race once everyone has bought it.

Play alchemist until they nerf that too. When they will release some sort of bow toon, they will have to make it powerful. Play the bow toon after alchemist is ruined next.

Its the SSG. Sell one thing to you, than give you something else.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast