Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

My experience with being squelched came from a bloody crypt run where we were ready to pick up the thing to complete it for something like 20K xp and the leader wanted to go get all the breakables in the entire west wings for the additional 5% ransack xp. If you know anything about the size of Bloody Crypt it gives you a good idea of the type of people we're dealing with here. I said no we're not waiting to get the additional 5% xp (300 xp?) and completed it.

Lo and behold I landed on that guy's precious 'squelch' list. To this day I sometimes hit his LFM's by mistake and get auto declined 5+ years later.

It tells you alot about the "squelch" list and the types of people who use it.
    Last edited by False_Gods; 01-18-2021 at 04:33 AM.
    Tales of terror abound in coastal cities of a powerful cabal of sea-faring pirates led by a trio of mages who have coined themselves 'The False Gods'.

Community Member

Default Hypocrisy?

Quote Originally Posted by Hobgoblin View Post
    When do you guys draw the line with someone and squelch and move on?

had an incident today where i was accused of being autistic cause i was running shadow crypt more then once.

My natural reaction is to squelch and move on...... am i being overtly sensitive in this case or not?

and even if im right, do we have enough people to squelch and still be able to fill raids?

thanks for reading!
    Hmm someone was rude to you for no reason?

https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthrea...=1#post6374873

More or less rude than that?

P.S. I didn't squelch.

It could have been an attempt at humour; it all depends upon context and as to whether it was a complete stranger, etc. Presumably the individual that allegedly called you "autistic" seemed displeased about repeating the quest and likely strongly expressed their anger.

I've never placed anyone on /squelch and I doubt I'm on anyone else's "ignore list" albeit of course I don't know about the latter. Possibly there are two or three people I have come across in past years I'd prefer to group with, but I could probably count them on one hand.

Community Member

I mostly play in silence because I have little tolerance for sexism and racism and I used to hear it a lot when I played with sounds on. Maybe that has changed. Maybe not. If I hadn't, I may have squelched more people than I have.

I have squelched for personal attacks, twice.

I have squelched for pestering PMs, once.

I have squelched for really bad, inconsiderate play twice, because I often host LFMs and didn't want them joining anymore.

When do you guys draw the line with someone and squelch and move on?

had an incident today where i was accused of being autistic cause i was running shadow crypt more then once.

My natural reaction is to squelch and move on...... am i being overtly sensitive in this case or not?

and even if im right, do we have enough people to squelch and still be able to fill raids?

thanks for reading!
    Hey Hobgoblin.

I was in that group when it happened (super gimp arti named Falcynn... sorry for the poor performance on that character). I definitely found that comment rude and uncalled for. I may have taken it a little to personal as well (I have an autistic son). I definitely put him on the squelch list.

Besides, who doesn't know about farming Shadow Crypt for xp? That has been a thing since that quest came out.. some 12-15 years ago?
    Member: Circle of Night
    Magic is a curious thing; full of hope and promise one minute, then someone summons a t-rex jet fighter to kill you.

Quote Originally Posted by False_Gods View Post
    Ive never had to squelch anyone and to be honest I think that if you have to squelch someone you are part of the problem. (or three, lol)
    The problem is someone that you wouldn't take a bullet for has made an effort to type or do something to negatively affect your existence. That's the entirety of the problem. The solution is to squelch with an optional "bugger off" parting statement.

It is useful to give someone a second chance to be a dip**** and not drop the hammer on one offense. Everyone has a moment of foolishness or makes attempts at humor poorly. But that second annoyance............Boom, you gone.
    Varr's all over. Cannith Varr getting the love currently.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by SirValentine View Post
    You're as bad as the person the OP mentioned. Guess what? Not everyone plays exactly the same way you do. Unlike OP's insult-hurler, some people like to run it more than once. And unlike you, who don't want to just insult others, but turn them into un-persons, plenty of other people run it only once, or even not at all.
    Holy hell you escalated that unnecessarily quickly.

Community Member

Not a right or wrong. Never squelched anyone, however momentarily rude, sticks and stones and all that.

I am curious though, was your farming clear from the getgo because I feel like I'm only getting part of the story here (which isn't the same as excusing a rude outburst)?

Community Member

Ive never had to squelch anyone and to be honest I think that if you have to squelch someone you are part of the problem. I just keep in mind that everyone has a different perspective on things and just because someone may put something in chat that doesnt sit well with me, it doesn't necessarily mean I need to put them on my ignore list. I'd be interested in hearing more details to this argument that ended up with the ignored person calling the OP 'autistic'. I mean yeah I guess if you are dealing with a 13 year old or something it seems feasible, but to be honest in my 15 years of playing I have never encountered a single what you would call 'immature' individual. I guess it probably helps that I am a very accommodating person in terms of giving people space. I realize that people say things, they have bad days, it doesn't mean they are a bad person. Often times giving people a break can go a long way to 'correcting' what might otherwise seem to be strange or immature behavior.

Again if only for a lack of any other interesting discussion I'd be interested in knowing how it escalated to include calling someone autistic. As someone who can easily raise an eyebrow at farming shadow crypt over and over simply because I play the game to enjoy myself, not to accumulate past lives in the shortest amount of time possible, I can also see how being on a life that one may not particularly enjoy they could be inclined to run shadow crypt ad nauseum to skip a level or two (or three, lol)

What kind of self-serving BS is this **** anyway?!

Community Member

My experience with being squelched came from a bloody crypt run where we were ready to pick up the thing to complete it for something like 20K xp and the leader wanted to go get all the breakables in the entire west wings for the additional 5% ransack xp. If you know anything about the size of Bloody Crypt it gives you a good idea of the type of people we're dealing with here. I said no we're not waiting to get the additional 5% xp (300 xp?) and completed it.

Lo and behold I landed on that guy's precious 'squelch' list. To this day I sometimes hit his LFM's by mistake and get auto declined 5+ years later.

Ohh! Even more self-serving “look at me” BS.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by DerpDerply View Post
    What kind of self-serving BS is this **** anyway?!
    Ohh! Even more self-serving “look at me” BS.
    ... what? Is everyone replying to the wrong threads? What is happening here?

Community Member

If you have to ask if you're overly sensitive, you're probably overly sensitive heh. But then again, this is an online game so it doesn't matter if you squelch. It's not like it's someone you work with and see every day or anything.
    My main Orien Bozos - Mozenrath, Messam, Yashamaru, Quackerjack

Hardcore bozos - Koganei, Hoid

Community Member Cranjis-of-Orien's Avatar

And did you even ask if you could complete it? Or did you just go right along and do it with no second thought or consideration for the rest of your group?
    Founder and leader of The Wildcats guild on Orien

"Cheese is the solution to everything" - Unknown

I have zero patience for people who kill my fun. I will squelch as needed, but it is rare. One thing I do, is every year is go through my list. If I can't remember why I squelched them, I remove them from the list. I have found that most people I have squelched don't play anymore.
    Gwhyn Saige - heroic and epic completionist, loving the EK build
    https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthrea...elee-wizard-EK

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by boredGamer View Post
    ... what? Is everyone replying to the wrong threads? What is happening here?
    Honestly, nothing other than more self-absorbed preaching from up high by FalseGods. She’s literally got the gall to say that anybody that feels like they need to squelch somebody is part of the problem. Literal victim-blaming.

Every single one of her posts is crammed full of similarly sulfurous hot air on how people should be doing things her way, and her way alone. Quite frankly, I’m sick of seeing it, and am going to bring this point up every time I see such self-absorbed drivel.

Community Member

Honestly, nothing other than more self-absorbed preaching from up high by FalseGods. She’s literally got the gall to say that anybody that feels like they need to squelch somebody is part of the problem. Literal victim-blaming.

Every single one of her posts is crammed full of similarly sulfurous hot air on how people should be doing things her way, and her way alone. Quite frankly, I’m sick of seeing it, and am going to bring this point up every time I see such self-absorbed drivel.
    I don't know the history - but at least the posts you quoted don't really seem to apply to what you're saying.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by boredGamer View Post
    I don't know the history - but at least the posts you quoted don't really seem to apply to what you're saying.
    She literally said that the OP is part of the problem, followed by her thoughts about people who use the squelch list. There’s nothing helpful to the OP there...just a bunch of self-absorbed grand standing, while simultaneously refusing to accept responsibility for her outright refusal listen to the instructions of her party leader. That party leader did the right thing by squelching her, now she’s acting like it’s all his fault. It’s obvious the only reason she’s soured on the squelch list is because it was used on her.

No, this person has no business lecturing others, especially when she fails to make the grade in so many ways.
    Last edited by DerpDerply; 01-18-2021 at 03:29 PM.

Community Member

i cant remember if I have ever squelched someone or not, but if anyone was juvenile enough to call me autistic for repeating a quest, they would be squelched, period. Some people just need to grow up, and if enough people squelched them, they just might realize that they should temper their comments and act like an adult.

Community Member

She literally said that the OP is part of the problem, followed by her thoughts about people who use the squelch list. There’s nothing helpful to the OP there...just a bunch of self-absorbed grand standing, while simultaneously refusing to accept responsibility for her outright refusal listen to the instructions of her party leader. That party leader did the right thing by squelching her, now she’s acting like it’s all his fault. It’s obvious the only reason she’s soured on the squelch list is because it was used on her.

No, this person has no business lecturing others, especially when she fails to make the grade in so many ways.
    Well, disagree there was even any lecturing.

You don't have to follow a leader to the ends of the earth. A good leader will mediate the disagreement and agree to part ways. I wouldn't go back to the west side of that map and break everything if my life depended on it. I would agree to part ways with the group after.

Does that mean we should squelch each other ? Not in my opinion. Squelching seems very childish, unless absolutely necessary (pestering, harassing, stalking, etc) - otherwise just hash your opinions out and move on. Pretty sure you're going to squelch me though. C'est la vie.

What, was this your group? You feel very personally affected by this.

Again if only for a lack of any other interesting discussion I'd be interested in knowing how it escalated to include calling someone autistic. As someone who can easily raise an eyebrow at farming shadow crypt over and over simply because I play the game to enjoy myself, not to accumulate past lives in the shortest amount of time possible, I can also see how being on a life that one may not particularly enjoy they could be inclined to run shadow crypt ad nauseum to skip a level or two (or three, lol)
    it went like this.

ran a r1 sc. dude piked the whole thing talking about day drinking.
    get done, say ok now for the elite run.
    his response: "your running the exact same quest again? what are you, bleeping autistic?" and drops group then i posted this query to the forums
    main toons: Cerrsi(silly caster/xbow) Sttomper (silly barbarian)-jammiee (Silly melee)
    Quote Originally Posted by Eladrin View Post
    You are still completely free to run around like a jackrabbit on caffeine.
    quem deus vult perdere, dementat prius

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast