Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Community Member MichaelKindrhead's Avatar

Default Snowpeaks Festival - my first thoughts

The release note for the Snowpeaks Festival came out today and here are the main points:

1) During the event new 'special event' champions will spawn in regular questing and they will drop chests containing the new mats (coins,keys).

2) Use keys to access Snowpeaks event from event vendor in Hall of Heroes to collect more coins.

3) Turn in coins for event rewards, a combination of old rewards and some new ones. ( festive stat & ruby augments, cosmetic gear & pets, etc)

Point #1) my first thought was that I am not impressed with the champ delivery mechanic, initially it seemed to come off as 'elitest' ( you HAVE to run elite/reaper to get champs!! ), but after thinking about it for a bit I can understand why they may have gone with it. Having champs drop the mats will encourage grouping to run higher difficuties to get more chances at champs and will ensure that everyone in group with get a reward from each champ. Both points fix the main issues many had with they way Night Revels delivered chocolate/keys. The other issue with NR many had was the time sink in collecting keys, the champs spawning in regular daily questing addresses that issue. So in general I think this is a good thing but we will see how it works for everyone.

Point #2) from the pics on the festival guide it looks like it could be fun sliding down a huge snowy track, will see whether we have to rent a sled or skis...

Point#3) the rewards.. a little impressed with the list of items; two more festive diamonds that everyone has been asking for, a ruby to replace the icy burst kits, some cosmetic gear (that we no longer can put resists on ) , and another cosmetic pet cuz the polar bear was lonely , as well as some of the pots from Risia turn ins and cookies from the the jester.

It looks like it could be an enjoyable event and hopefully more will like it than those who do not. The only thing that would make this event completely intolerable will be if the coins and keys are bound to character. I could deal if they are BTA, but BTC for event mats is an absolute joke. I would prefer if all event mats were unbound as I have a couple alt accounts as well as friends who cant play as much as me, and farming unbound mats is easy compared to trying to farm BTA mats mulitboxing. But that is my opinion on the matter, and as a wise man once said 'an opinion is only worth as much as the breath that carries it' ( which means it weighs nothing so dont get upset if you dont agree), so thank you for your time and good luck questing!
    Proud Kyberrian, Warrior of Altaholism, Patriarch of the Whyzbang and Kindread gene lines
    Guild Leader, Officers & Members of :
    Club Dread ; DDOAA ; CWAS ; Agents of Karma ; Halfling House of Khyber ; Heroes of Hooperville ; Flash of Smoke ; Chillin With My Gnomies

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelKindrhead View Post
    The release note for the Snowpeaks Festival came out today and here are the main points…
    I’m confused, has it already started, or are you providing feedback for an event that hasn’t taken place?

If it’s the former, where are the reward vendors located? I didn’t notice anyone new in the Hall of Heroes.

Or is this a Lamannia thing? As a Mac user, I don’t have access to the Lamannia client.
    Last edited by Evean; 01-13-2021 at 12:20 AM.

Is this like a Rotten Tomato review from people that haven't seen the movie yet?
    Mothergoose - Kardinal - Bunks

IMO, all chests should have a low% chance to contain a key, while the special champ chests have a 100% chance.

However, I say that without playing the event yet, so it remains to be seen how common it will be to find the key.

Regarding the Elite/Reaper elitism, it might have made sense to make these be a special type of champion that can also appear in Normal difficulty, except with no buffs.
    That's not lag, it's just DDO trying to become turn-based again.

Feature wishlist: colour-coded HP bars; red/blue teams in raids; rez-timer in party menu; equip-able halflings

Quote Originally Posted by LeoLionxxx View Post
    Regarding the Elite/Reaper elitism, it might have made sense to make these be a special type of champion that can also appear in Normal difficulty, except with no buffs.
    While the number of players is probably pretty low, those that do run Normal/Casual should have an option to participate in the event just like those who only run Elite/Reaper.

The 'chance' portion of normal chests sounds like it only is for coins, not keys. If that is the case, then these players will be forced to spend points just to experience a seasonal event. That should not happen.

I like the idea of the champion with no buffs appearing in normal for these players.
    Luck is what happens when preparation meets opportunity. -Seneca the Elder
    Iryklaunavan, Karaskkesir, Desideratum, Gregorii, Jhasmyne, Vis
    Ubique Eo, Invenio me esse ducem hominium.

Quote Originally Posted by Evean View Post
    I’m confused, has it already started, or are you providing feedback for an event that hasn’t taken place?

If it’s the former, where are the reward vendors located? I didn’t notice anyone new in the Hall of Heroes.

Or is this a Lamannia thing? As a Mac user, I don’t have access to the Lamannia client.
    The event starts Wed after the update/patch. They (SSG) posted an event guide along with the release notes today when they announced the downtime. These are my thoughts on the new event and system(s) that they are using/ trying out as compared to the event they are replacing it for. After spending ten years running the events (Risia/Midwinter) and spending $$ on points to buy bracelets to farm the purple coins before they nerfed the Bogwater tower, so I could equip my alt accounts and my friends who have limited time to play compared to myself with the icy burst weapons and festival resists, and thus profoundly affected by the removal of these events and their ings/mats, I feel my speculation on what has been done to replace the event and how its implemented may be of value for those who might be in a similar situation.
    Proud Kyberrian, Warrior of Altaholism, Patriarch of the Whyzbang and Kindread gene lines
    Club Dread ; DDOAA ; CWAS ; Agents of Karma ; Halfling House of Khyber ; Heroes of Hooperville ; Flash of Smoke ; Chillin With My Gnomies

Quote Originally Posted by Bunker View Post
    Is this like a Rotten Tomato review from people that haven't seen the movie yet?

** see previous post**

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Baahb3 View Post
    While the number of players is probably pretty low, those that do run Normal/Casual should have an option to participate in the event just like those who only run Elite/Reaper.

The 'chance' portion of normal chests sounds like it only is for coins, not keys. If that is the case, then these players will be forced to spend points just to experience a seasonal event. That should not happen.

I like the idea of the champion with no buffs appearing in normal for these players.
    First off, champs appear in Hard, not just E/R. And that shouldn't be a barrier to anyone...if you can handle Normal, you can handle Hard. No one is that gimp. Or at least it's fair for the game to not expect you to be.

Second, the only reward for keys sounds like the chance to earn more coins, so if you only get coins from chests in Normal, you're still getting access to all the same rewards.

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelKindrhead View Post

Point #2) from the pics on the festival guide it looks like it could be fun sliding down a huge snowy track, will see whether we have to rent a sled or skis......
    (Yes, I know we're just speculating at this point.)

Hoping there are minimal jumps in this new sliding track. Even the tiny jumps in the old Winterfest track had so many tiny pixels of 'stop-you' in the middle of those jumps, they were frustrating.

We shall see.
    CEO - Cupcake's Muskateers, Thelanis
    DDO Freebies

An undisclosed location. I asked my captors but they remain tight lipped.

The chests dropping in any quest is a good plan, rather than introducing new quests and multiple hunting instances for keys- less potential lag introduced.

I'm excited about this.
    And a craftable trinket, per popular request. (One that can be purchased, not a 1 in a million chance)
    I'm starting to get jaded about this whole process- OP release, backend nerf- it's the proverbial mule and the carrot and I end up feeling like an ***.

Quote Originally Posted by droid327 View Post
    ...if you can handle Normal, you can handle Hard.
    If you can OPEN hard...

And given champs rate increase by difficulty it will mean higher skull=more reward. Not cool.

I hope they are just called champions and spawn all over the quests on all difficulties with the same chance.
    Otherwise it will be a said festival compared to the old ones which did not require any really special build.

ps.: Does anyone know if the rewards are chooseable or random like in festivult?
    Last edited by kanordog; 01-13-2021 at 06:37 AM.
    You nerfed my monks, dailies and alchemists.
    I nerfed your profit on two accounts.

Are the rewards selectable from a barter window?

If so, what are the costs?

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by cdbd3rd View Post
    (Yes, I know we're just speculating at this point.)

Hoping there are minimal jumps in this new sliding track. Even the tiny jumps in the old Winterfest track had so many tiny pixels of 'stop-you' in the middle of those jumps, they were frustrating.

We shall see.
    https://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.p...istHeightFence

I can't wait for the "Nerf Slopes" threads lol.

You can get an endless stream of mobs in the Illusory giant room of partycrashers if you do not take out the two marks that spawn them (lions and wolves). I have tried this and not seen chests drop, though--just rems.
    Wiki dashboard with some useful stealthplay links
    Proud Knight Templar of the Silver Legion, Cannith: Saekee (main; epic completionist); Parked Toons: Katwoemyn (10), Saelegion (4), Alitirala (>17), Naerfelka (>21)
    wounded and burnt from many mistakes and still stumbling!

Intergalactic Space Crusader
    Treasure Hunter

Quote Originally Posted by Jerevth View Post
    The chests dropping in any quest is a good plan, rather than introducing new quests and multiple hunting instances for keys- less potential lag introduced.

I'm excited about this.
    And a craftable trinket, per popular request. (One that can be purchased, not a 1 in a million chance)
    Heads up the previous event did provide craftable trinkets from coin turn in and they would clog the inventory. They were BtC. Threw many of these away. However you could take them to the crafting hall and turn them BtA.

The ones from the new event will probably be the same, BtC.

Community Manager

Quote Originally Posted by LightBear View Post
    Are the rewards selectable from a barter window?

If so, what are the costs?
    Yes, with Flurry the NPC in the Hall of Heroes while the event is active. The costs are in coins, generally I'd say between 10 for the cookies and I think the highest was 100 for the Snowman Creature Companion.
    Have fun, and don't forget to gather for buffs!
    Follow DDO on: Facebook Twitter YouTube
    Join us on Twitch!
    Hello from Standing Stone Games! Facebook Twitter
    For Support: https://help.standingstonegames.com

Quote Originally Posted by Livmo View Post
    Heads up the previous event did provide craftable trinkets from coin turn in and they would clog the inventory. They were BtC. Threw many of these away. However you could take them to the crafting hall and turn them BtA.

The ones from the new event will probably be the same, BtC.
    Yea, seems about the norm. Same goes for Shard of Power, maybe a technical limitation?

Community Member Retired_Old_Gamer's Avatar
    Everfull Flagon w/ my Eternal Mug of Mead

45 store points is a little steep for an event key.

Question: Does quest level affect the chance for the Snowpeak champs' chests to contain a key? As in, does running legendary content and opening Snowpeak champs' chests grant a higher chance to get a key compared to running heroics?

(same questions goes for coin value & amount in chests, but that's pretty irrelevant given the amount of coins contained in the Snowpeak Mario challenge itself are orders of magnitude more than the coins you get from chests)

Very small sample size yet but it seems that regular mobs that are the snow champs are only dropping 1-2 bronze or silver coins. Orange named mobs that are snow champs are dropping 4-6 bronze/silver coins and keys. Just an observation so far.
    Last edited by Baahb3; 01-13-2021 at 12:48 PM.
    Luck is what happens when preparation meets opportunity. -Seneca the Elder
    Iryklaunavan, Karaskkesir, Desideratum, Gregorii, Jhasmyne, Vis
    Ubique Eo, Invenio me esse ducem hominium.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast