Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Community Member

Default Broken: Alchemist poison typing &c

While running Extraplanar Palace: Buying Time I noticed some more problems with Alchemist:

1. Arcanaloth Reapers were immune to poison (from Vial of Venom SLA). I couldn’t find a Wiki entry for this mob, but other Arcanaloth mobs appear to be immune to acid, so I suspect there’s something in there, perhaps a lazy copy/paste.

2. My combat log was full of records of me doing bludgeoning damage. I have no possible source of bludgeon damage on this toon.

3. Throwing pots up an incline seemed to make them completely non existent. An animation happened, but no die roll, no damage, no hit, no miss, no combat log, nothing (as though I were throwing a heal potion without having anything targeted).

EDIT: I’ve gone ahead and highlighted in bold and red all the parts people failed to read which required reiteration.
    Last edited by Evean; 01-11-2021 at 10:23 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Evean View Post

1. Arcanaloth Reapers
    Reapers? Can you make a screenshot?

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mindos View Post
    Reapers? Can you make a screenshot?
    Not that kind of Reaper. Check the link provided in the original post.

While running Extraplanar Palace: Buying Time I noticed some more problems with Alchemist:

1. Arcanaloth Reapers were immune to poison (from Vial of Venom SLA). I couldn’t find a Wiki entry for this mob, but other Arcanaloth mobs appear to be immune to acid, so I suspect there’s something in there, perhaps a lazy copy/paste.

2. My combat log was full of records of me doing bludgeoning damage. I have no possible source of bludgeon damage on this toon.

3. Throwing pots up an incline seemed to make them completely non existent. An animation happened, but no die roll, no damage, no hit, no miss, no combat log, nothing (as though I were throwing a heal potion without having anything targeted).
    Arcanaloth (and Yugoloth in general) are immune to poison in most editions of D&D, and they're intentionally immune to poison in DDO as a result.

I don't have any particular insight on your other two without a lot more information, sorry.
    We don't only build for the builds that exist.
    We don't only build for the builds that are good right now.

The fact that some changes are necessary is not diminished by the fact that other necessary changes have not happened yet.

Community Member SpartanKiller13's Avatar

Empty Bottle is bludgeoning and pretty great for low-level Alchemists. At least I like it
    -Khysiria of Cannith
    Quote Originally Posted by zehnvhex View Post
    Warlock is basically a ghetto Shiradi Sorc. You gives up some of the damage and self sustain for the ability to just hold down left click and yolo blast your way to victory.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lynnabel View Post
    It's DDO. There are probably 6 different types of Evil damage.

Community Member grubenbrobrobroketv's Avatar

1. ive always found that reapers were immune to poison damage
    2. if youre using some of the poison breaths they have poison plus bludgeoning damage
    3. if youre talking about heal pots you need to target yourself when you throw most of the alch heals or they wont hit you typically. if you have accelerate on a spell it will make you throw in a stright line from your character so if there is any inclne it will hit the ramp before mobs and not do damage not sure if thats what your issue was or if there was something else in this quest causing that

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by SpartanKiller13 View Post
    Empty Bottle is bludgeoning and pretty great for low-level Alchemists. At least I like it
    As stated in the original post, I have no sources of bludgeoning damage on this toon. Am I being trolled and I just can’t tell, or do you people not actually not read before responding? Which raises the question: If you didn’t read the original post, how can you be replying? Which raises the question: If you did read the original post, how can you not know that I don’t have any sources of bludgeoning damage on this toon?
    Last edited by Evean; 01-10-2021 at 02:12 PM.

1. Arcanoloths are evil outsiders, and most evil outsiders are immune to poison the way celestials are immune to petrification.

2. Some Alchemist spells do bludgeon damage. Double-check that you're not using them.

3. Jump when you throw.

As stated in the original post, I have no sources of bludgeoning damage on this toon. Am I being trolled and I just can’t tell, or do you people not actually not read before responding? Which raises the question: If you didn’t read the original post, how can you be replying? Which raises the question: If you did read the original post, how can you not know that I don’t ave any sources of bludgeoning damage on this toon?
    There's no need to be rude. The only proof we have for the assertion that "you have no sources of bludgeon damage" is that you happen to believe this. You might be INCORRECT. It's a thing that happens, especially since the icon for the empty vial spells looks a lot like the one for the poison spells, and the SLA's and spells have different icon appearances which makes it really easy to accidentally slot the wrong one.

Not that kind of Reaper. Check the link provided in the original post.
    I clicked all your links but I didn't find "reaper" on any of them? What type of reaper are you talking about? Can you post a screenshot of this type of reaper?

Quote Originally Posted by Steelstar View Post
    Arcanaloth (and Yugoloth in general) are immune to poison in most editions of D&D, and they're intentionally immune to poison in DDO as a result.

I don't have any particular insight on your other two without a lot more information, sorry.
    So why are monsters immune to all poison but players can get poisoned even when immune due to there being 3 types - Natural, Magical and supernatural. Also reapers have poison dots that have no way to get rid of them.
    Players should then be told what type of poison damage it is doing. E.G. Vial of Venom - 1d6+2 Poison (magical) damage per Caster Level to a single target (Max Caster Level 10), 4 second cooldown. Applies Contaminated.

Mindos, some of the Arcanaloth (race: Yugoloth) are named "Arcanaloth Reaper", just like there are "Arcanaloth Wizards" within the challenge; Extraplanar Palace: Buying Time (Epic). It's obviously not a 'Reaper race' because it's a Challenge. It's a just a class/role type name within quest like for example: "Kobold Warrior" or "Kobold Powder Lackey" or "Kobold Developer", etc.

Community Member

I clicked all your links but I didn't find "reaper" on any of them? What type of reaper are you talking about? Can you post a screenshot of this type of reaper?
    Again, read the original post:

Quote Originally Posted by DYWYPI View Post
    Mindos, some of the Arcanaloth (race: Yugoloth) are named "Arcanaloth Reaper", just like there are "Arcanaloth Wizards" within the challenge; Extraplanar Palace: Buying Time (Epic). It's obviously not a 'Reaper race' because it's a Challenge. It's a just a class/role type name within quest like for example: "Kobold Warrior" or "Kobold Powder Lackey" or "Kobold Developer", etc.
    Ah, thank you! That was the distinction I was missing. I don't run challenges often, can you tell?

Again, read the original post:
    No thank you. Have a nice day.

2 spells cause blugeoning damage for Alchemist. Empty bottle is one and Gold breath which causes fire and bludgeoning damage. so if any of those spells you use then yes you are doing it.

If someone had just mentioned the word "Arcanaloth", without any quest name reference; I wouldn't have a clue - without researching - they meant Yugoloths. I know what a DDO Yugoloth looks like. I'm not that familiar with D&D lore since I've never played the game. I did play some Warhammer AHQ in my early teens.

I'm not sure why the 'Yugoloth Reaper' type itself isn't already listed on the referenced Challenge page (I'm more interested in Trap DCs and their bugs). However, the following page does have them specially listed: Extraplanar Palace: Buying Time (Epic).

Given that a lot of people seem to have a fixation with Reaper mode; it's hardly surprising there was some confusion with the wording - even though the OP was correct regarding their naming. Personally I find Reaper mode mostly uninteresting, but that's a different topic. :-)

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by arkonas View Post
    2 spells cause blugeoning damage for Alchemist. Empty bottle is one and Gold breath which causes fire and bludgeoning damage. so if any of those spells you use then yes you are doing it.
    From here on in I’m simply going to use a pre-formatted paste. Read the original post:

Community Member

No thank you. Have a nice day.
    Don’t bother replying if you can’t be bothered to read.
    Last edited by Evean; 01-11-2021 at 09:05 AM.

Community Member SpartanKiller13's Avatar

I have no possible source of bludgeon damage on this toon.
    As stated in the original post, I have no sources of bludgeoning damage on this toon.
    Possible:
    Adj
    able to be done; within the power or capacity of someone or something.

You didn't say you have no sources currently, you said no "possible" sources. Empty Bottle (and apparently Gold Breath) are both "possible" sources of bludgeoning damage for an Alchemist. Thus, your statement is implicitly wrong, as any Alchemist has the option to run Empty Bottle (a level 1 spell). Or for that matter picking up a greatclub and hitting things with it (and weird stuff like Tsunami), although stating that would take my statement from a "informative comment" directly to the realm of insulting your intelligence, which I had no reason of wanting to do.

If in your first post you'd said "I currently have no bludgeoning spells" etc I'd have said nothing, but I've seen plenty of occasions where people have an "oh!" moment, and it's really easy to miss details in this complex game of DDO. That's why people keep mentioning it. Also you've gotten hilariously enraged so I'm responding even though it's probably pointless
    -Khysiria of Cannith
    Quote Originally Posted by zehnvhex View Post
    Warlock is basically a ghetto Shiradi Sorc. You gives up some of the damage and self sustain for the ability to just hold down left click and yolo blast your way to victory.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lynnabel View Post
    It's DDO. There are probably 6 different types of Evil damage.

Don’t bother replying if you can’t be bothered to read.
    If I can't be bothered to read, then I wouldn't read your above post, and I would reply! Just like I am.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast