Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 ... LastLast
    Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tilomere View Post
    When was the last time you walked any melee into heroic R6 solo?
    Speaking for myself I do this on a few select quests every Barb life. Now to be clear it doesn't always go well and I personally cant quite make it work yet on a Palli (dont ask me why as I cant explain but I find my Barbs easier to play than my palli builds) but I normally run R4 as standard for my Barbs with certain quests I know well at R6+ (e.g. I have done amber temple heroic at R10 just to see if I could but this is a quest I know I can complete in as little as 1.5 mins on R1 with an expected run of less than 5 mins at R4).

The catch here is even my main is not an uber completionist with a bazillion reaper points (He is currently heroic completionist with 56 reaper points and is working on racials (4 racial AP currently and halfway to his 5th)). If I can manage to solo some of the easier quests on R6 an uber completionist with full gear and 100+ reaper points should be able to do a lot better. An uber completionist with full gear and 100+ reaper points in the hands of a top player I doubt would even break a sweat.

Now for yourself I am pretty sure this is also something that should be more than possible. I've seen some of the things you have accomplished and would say you are a better player than myself with toons that are far more progressed than mine. The catch is here that admitting that you could also manage this wouldn't support your argument.

Quote Originally Posted by SpartanKiller13 View Post
    I see you haven't played Alchemist lol.
    Thanks for the reply SpartanKiller. I love your posts on here and the other site that rhymes with saidit. I learn something pretty much every time you post.

That being said, I have played Alchemist, but being as at the time people were complaining about how OP they are, I just did the Inquisitive thing with them and didn't really play them. So, point taken, and you're right to an extent. I was speaking more from the Sorcerer side of things. And I'm here to say (which many of you already know) that you're not going to take a Sorc with low past lives into a mid-reaper group and just melt entire rooms in one spell, especially without good gear. This is only my personal experience based on the folks I play with. But my point still stands. If you don't like people doing this in your group, Nancy Reagan (yes, I'm old) taught us that we can just 'say no' to these folks being in your group. No need to nerf anything. Play what makes you happy/allows you to have fun, and let others do the same.
    Proud guild gimp of Synergia! Adults only. Bring beer. Pants optional.
    Banginurz/Chimpinurz/Shagginurz/Spankinurz.

Ahh, another new perspective. So this combined would indicate the problem isn't alcs or sorcs, but the power of say a leveling bard swashbuckler with investment is too low? Thanks!
    You're welcome! The point still stands that time investment makes toons stronger in game. I would think this is self-explanatory by now. And if you choose to play a weaker (non-meta for some) build, then that's fine. But please don't be upset when people who don't choose that have better results than you in quests. I still don't understand how, in a non-pvp game, it matters? We all want to get stronger, right? If someone helps you do that faster, then what is the problem? And if it bothers you, JUST DON'T GROUP WITH THEM. Why is this so fundamentally hard to understand? I mean, the choice is yours.
    Proud guild gimp of Synergia! Adults only. Bring beer. Pants optional.
    Banginurz/Chimpinurz/Shagginurz/Spankinurz.

Quote Originally Posted by dennisck2 View Post
    Thanks for the reply SpartanKiller. I love your posts on here and the other site that rhymes with saidit. I learn something pretty much every time you post.

That being said, I have played Alchemist, but being as at the time people were complaining about how OP they are, I just did the Inquisitive thing with them and didn't really play them. So, point taken, and you're right to an extent. I was speaking more from the Sorcerer side of things. And I'm here to say (which many of you already know) that you're not going to take a Sorc with low past lives into a mid-reaper group and just melt entire rooms in one spell, especially without good gear. This is only my personal experience based on the folks I play with. But my point still stands. If you don't like people doing this in your group, Nancy Reagan (yes, I'm old) taught us that we can just 'say no' to these folks being in your group. No need to nerf anything. Play what makes you happy/allows you to have fun, and let others do the same.
    I did the same with alchemist (going the inquisitive route) as I could not get that class to work at all.
    This life on a Tiefling getting my racial as a Sorc, fire ofc.
    And although its nice and a very good combo as the racial tree clearly wants you to go fire.
    What makes it work is Ash and that is only available for Tieflings.
    And when I say work its no way near a "one shot and clear room situation".
    It goes more like:
    - Wait for tank to agro.
    - Position yourself right so you don't miss (this can actually be the hardest part.)
    - Ash.
    - Your highest fire based SLA.
    - Going down your fire based SLAs followed by your fire based spell list one by one al the way down to burning hands.
    - Let the tank clear up the the remains.
    - Move on to the next pack of mobs and repeat.
    And this is with good items, past lives, etc etc. Without you prob have to do the above twice.

Oh, and Ash only works these 3 racial past lives. Other races don't have access to the same kind of thing. Making Sorcs not that viable at all, as there are tons and tons of mobs out there with elemental resistances and immunities.

And then there is the cooldowns of your SLAs and the limitedness of your spellpoints-pool. As noted by others, completion times count heavy in the race of past lives. Pushing other classes further ahead.
    Oh, lets not forget your self heal ability. Sorcs only have heal scrolls and with the malus in reaper you're better off popping a hire and parking it somewhere until needed and hope you get through fights without to much scrams.

Community Member SpartanKiller13's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dennisck2 View Post

Hey! Thanks for your kind words

I didn't have nearly as much opinion on Alchemist until I played one lol. I loosely followed Gisty's guide (link), although I plan to make some changes next time (Int-to-Will, not doubling up Alchemical Studies as they don't stack per Strimtom, SWF feats for EDF or Spring Attack b/c I'm a lot noobier than they).

I can't really speak for mid-reaper too, most of what I was doing was R1 when leveling or some dailies with buddies. Maybe it requires a lot more investment to be great in those? I'm 3/4 through farming up a gearset for when I hit 29 (currently 28) and then I'll try pushing some skulls, but I have very little investment for the Alchemist part of this toon lol. If I had less PL's or Reaper Points (~27 & 42 respectively) I'd just not stand in melee range as much lol. Don't think I'd lose much damage with only 3 PL's and like 12 Reaper points. Maybe R1 isn't relevant for you and Alchemist or Sorc might be bad for your case then? But for me that's where I usually level as it's comfortable and inclusive. If you're in R1 or below, Alchemist really doesn't require much investment to be great (slow going until level 6, but that's the easy part of leveling for me).

In my 7+ years of DDO I've never turned someone away from my party because of their class. I've had a few times where LFM was like "need trapper only" and I haven't let a non-trapper in, but I'd hate to start class discrimination now lol. I don't like it, I don't think DDO's playerbase is large enough for that, and I don't want people to get the impression of exclusion (especially new players).

Yeah, I could just solo if I think it's too unbalanced, but I play DDO in significant part for the social aspect. I certainly do solo sometimes, but don't want "solo or discriminate" to be my options lol.

Please, roll an Iconic and take Alchemist 12, throw on a few gearpieces (Beacon of Magic set + like RL spellpower stick ideally) and throw a few Multivials. Then let me know what you think. It's insane lol. I'm an optimizer, but like my unoptimized Alch is just better than my optimized melees for leveling. No, I don't have as many HP/defenses but like I also don't have to get to melee range lol.
    -Khysiria of Cannith
    Quote Originally Posted by zehnvhex View Post
    Warlock is basically a ghetto Shiradi Sorc. You gives up some of the damage and self sustain for the ability to just hold down left click and yolo blast your way to victory.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lynnabel View Post
    It's DDO. There are probably 6 different types of Evil damage.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by SpartanKiller13 View Post
    Please, roll an Iconic and take Alchemist 12, throw on a few gearpieces (Beacon of Magic set + like RL spellpower stick ideally) and throw a few Multivials. Then let me know what you think. It's insane lol. I'm an optimizer, but like my unoptimized Alch is just better than my optimized melees for leveling. No, I don't have as many HP/defenses but like I also don't have to get to melee range lol.
    True, but Alchemist spells are supposed to be balanced mainly by cost, I see that Multi Vial is not balanced by cost very well, the real issue is: their immunity breaker also happens to add 0 cost per cast. With a Pyrite spike, the cost is very low for the damage it deals.

Weakening Mixture: 1 AP, no cooldown, no spell points, makes all element equal and therefore can maximize the one the game economy currently supports the most, effectively use as bane/untyped damage... of course this design is inherently flawed. for Sorcerer as well, but a little less with the Capstone negatives.

Alchemist can make any element ( or even better any element combos) work at any stage of the game, but what is the point if we can just keep throwing the best spell power loaded element ?

Quote Originally Posted by https://ddowiki.com/page/Multivial
    Conjuring many bottles of (~) liquid, you throw 4 projectiles that explode on impact, with each dealing 1d6+2 (type) damage per caster level to all nearby foes, max caster level 10. Shares a cooldown with all other Multivial spells.
    Without the immunity removal, the bolded part would be important i think.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by xxznightmare View Post
    I think the real question is, why do you care?
    Is this not more entertaining than killing a few hundred mobs one has killed a few hundred times before?

This is about understanding the underlying points of view to understand what has come, what is to come next, and what will come after. In as much as this, the actual topic at hand is irrelevant, and only set to reveal the real rules of the game.

My understanding from this thread is as follows:

Player satisfaction is paramount, and balance is part of that satisfaction:

Lack of player satisfaction leads to business failure:
    Quote Originally Posted by Bjond View Post
    Wildstar was another story. I watched the population dwindle to maybe 1/10th of what it was over the space of 2 months purely due to ignored bugs and bad design decisions that players warned them about over and over.
    Balance on the head of a pin is achievable, and even normal:
    ... all I can say is every other MMO is balanced on the head of a pin compared to DDO..
    However, the balance in DDO that players are satisfied with varies widely:
    Quote Originally Posted by Valerianus View Post
    Should Sorcs and Alcs AoE 1 shot groups of mobs while leveling?
    yes, they should....
    (many others agreeing) (differing reasons, all reasonable, what I made this thread to learn)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chai View Post
    It is out of line and has been for quite some time.
    (many others agreeing) (also differing reasons, all reasonable, what I made this thread to learn)

Existing balance scheme seems tied to monetization somehow closely enough it is commonly brought up:
    Quote Originally Posted by acemonkey View Post
    Step 1: get rid of premium/free to play and get every customer to pay at least $60/month for a sub that will replace SSG’s premium revenue.
    If you can’t get step one done, you will never have balance because SSG sells power to keep the servers on.
    But the math doesn't support it entirely through the selling of power creep, it has to be deeper than that:
    Alc or inquisitive or whatever OP thing that comes out once a year or so is $10 a year, not $60 a month. And sorc is free, and neither benefit from a +1 heart at all in heroics where most people are playing.
    It seems like customers have a wide range of what they will be satisfied with in terms of balance. In order to satisfy that range, the game itself has to have multiple elements to represent and allow choices within that range of balance. The transformation of the least popular choice elements into the more popular and reintroduction of the first keeps content fresh and the satisfaction of choice, while simultaneously continuously placating the more popular range. While this may be tied to new products (inquisitive, warlock), it isn't always (razorclaw, Feywild), and may indeed be the result of revamping old or even free products (sorc).

This then allows monetization by imperfect satisfaction of the customers range of balance, not generally sales of power creep. Although imperfect, this does satisfy a niche of not being balanced on the head of a pin not found elsewhere, as well as provide opportunity to monetize a fair amount from the range of balance, causing the monetization to be substantially higher per customer, but keeps the customer base small.

=============================================

Quote Originally Posted by slarden View Post
    A warlock will not be as effective as a wizard at aura debuffing for many reasons. You are basically talking about a build that is good for debuffing, but inferior to better debuffing builds.
    You wanted warlock dps, so I put this out for you to think of as DPS. Don't think of this as a DC casting 0 DPS debuffer. Think of it as a dps. Think about rotations and % time attacking and dpsing, dps rotations, melee power, attacks/sec, spell power, not getting 1 shot in melee, etc.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    As to wether or not sorc or alc should be nerfed? Pfft. I honestly could care less, and is also totally irrelevant, as my understanding unless wrong shows the players themselves have already determined what will happen with both.

Feel free to nerf warlocks again though.
    Last edited by Tilomere; 01-28-2021 at 04:33 PM.

Community Member

Feel free to nerf warlocks again though.
    until they've gotten the full monk treatment, there's room to nuerf warlocks a few more times.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by ggmarquez View Post
    until they've gotten the full monk treatment, there's room to nuerf warlocks a few more times.
    TLDR; players should be specific when calling for nerfs.

We lost builds to Monk and Sorcerers nerfs, not because of the damage loss, but because core features removed, DPS can be nerfed with many variables, they took the absolute worst possible variable for nerfing Monks and Sorcerers. They killed builds. -- That barely made it past mediocre anyway, and certainly did not threaten to break benchmarks. That said, fully minmaxed Shintao and Fire Savant certainly needed adjustments, specific adjustments to those builds.

Then, of course the "main targets" are still viable, less played because there are new shiny developments, but they are far from bad, proxy nerf targets range from subpar to extinct.

Warlocks remained a good build to zerg heroics mainly because of the abundant spell power on items, and unlike Sorcerer they have unique ways to scale and unique features that work well for most content, otherwise they arent exactly impressive next to other ranged builds. If anything, Warlocks should finally get a single target burst for epic play, and maybe looking at how to compensate the lesser pact elements with better spell choices. Epic destinies, Sentience and Scion feats could probably support EBs directly.

It is nearly always some interaction between multiple layers, often stuff that is not specific to the class, or is contained in the class trees but it is more like a build path that was too easy to reach for.

Removing DPS, no problem, removing cookie cutter, sure, but if a class has 17 working variations and 2 are over the line, then maybe dont unplug all 17 ?

Quote Originally Posted by xxznightmare View Post
    I think the real question is, why do you care? Nobody is forcing you to play these classes or group with them. If you do not enjoy them, do your own thing and play your own thing.
    Players having to be exclusionary to potential group members in order to mitigate poor game design is simply a bad suggestion, and not even a debatable one.
    Quote Originally Posted by Teh_Troll View Post
    We are no more d000m'd then we were a week ago. Note - This was posted in 10/2013 (when concurrency was ~4x what it is today)

Quote Originally Posted by janave View Post
    TLDR; players should be specific when calling for nerfs.

We lost builds to Monk and Sorcerers nerfs, not because of the damage loss, but because core features removed, DPS can be nerfed with many variables, they took the absolute worst possible variable for nerfing Monks and Sorcerers. They killed builds. -- That barely made it past mediocre anyway, and certainly did not threaten to break benchmarks. That said, fully minmaxed Shintao and Fire Savant certainly needed adjustments, specific adjustments to those builds.

Then, of course the "main targets" are still viable, less played because there are new shiny developments, but they are far from bad, proxy nerf targets range from subpar to extinct.

Warlocks remained a good build to zerg heroics mainly because of the abundant spell power on items, and unlike Sorcerer they have unique ways to scale and unique features that work well for most content, otherwise they arent exactly impressive next to other ranged builds. If anything, Warlocks should finally get a single target burst for epic play, and maybe looking at how to compensate the lesser pact elements with better spell choices. Epic destinies, Sentience and Scion feats could probably support EBs directly.

It is nearly always some interaction between multiple layers, often stuff that is not specific to the class, or is contained in the class trees but it is more like a build path that was too easy to reach for.

Removing DPS, no problem, removing cookie cutter, sure, but if a class has 17 working variations and 2 are over the line, then maybe dont unplug all 17 ?
    Pretty much what some of us were saying when ranged got nerfed as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Teh_Troll View Post
    We are no more d000m'd then we were a week ago. Note - This was posted in 10/2013 (when concurrency was ~4x what it is today)

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Bunker View Post
    At a start, warlocks need their pact dmg to bypass immunities.
    This is what I was thinking (totally tested) to eliminate the save on pact damage to allow hybridization, to give it some damage type diversity and borrow bypass with common classes, and double its base damage die:

Abyssal One - Raid Dps Warlock

20 Warlock 41 ES (capstone) +25 VKF (offhand %, crit) +7 TS? (Force > Evil to be affected by MRR debuffing?) or racial? + 7 SE (prr/mrr debuff) in Fatesinger

Helf- Warlock Dilli, Abyssal Pact

Melee with Fetters + offhand LGS Ash weapon, full melee gear w/ pansophic, shattered device + one against many sentience, deconstructor

Swap between warlock dilli (20d4 fire pact damage, no save?) and Abyssal Pact (10d4 negative with save) based on raid boss? (warlock dilli if an alc/sorc in group is removing fire immunity) (need to test warlock dilli on warlock aura)

Put LGS Dust + LGS Ooze on extended death aura, touch up if needed with weapon swaps.

Twist Purge the Wicked, Rebuke foe (2xtier 4) fueled by warlock aura for application every 10 seconds without having to cast 5 light spells (saves casting time since you don't have to cast light spells to charge it up to attack more)

Grab arcane warrior (20 MP/SP) fueled by warlock aura/dagger attacks.

------------------------------------

Will apply dust + ooze + ash + vacuum + shattered 5 piece + one against many 3 piece + purification + imp. destruction passively and apply + taint the aura + rebuke + grim/bound fate infrequently to allow time to melee. Can swap to blasting if you need ranged dps.
    Last edited by Tilomere; 02-06-2021 at 02:29 PM.

Will apply dust + ooze + ash + vacuum + shattered 5 piece + one against many 3 piece + purification + imp. destruction passively and apply + taint the aura + rebuke + grim/bound fate infrequently to allow time to melee. Can swap to blasting if you need ranged dps.
    All classes have access to debuffers so obviously the comparative dps between classes isn't significantly different once debuffing is applied except for class-specific abilities. and if you want to throw warlock melee in the mix it makes warlock even worse as there is nothing in the trees to support it.

So even with class-specific debuffing abilities warlock is well behind on dps and needs a buff - it's especially bad at epic levels and end game. I care very little about levels 1-19 because the main problem with those levels is all the power from reaper, past lifes, etc. is a great equalizer that allows all builds to work.

Even if all they do is buff the eldritch blasting feats as a quick fix for warlock it would be something. I'm not sure how the developers were duped into thinking warlock dps was the problem when the only thing the videos showed was you make a very survivable ES build in Unyielding sentinel that cleared the deck super slowly. Or that bugged lgs was super good for the short time it was available.

I want my warlock dps back because it was never over-powered to begin with.
    Last edited by slarden; 01-28-2021 at 05:55 PM.
    DC Warlock Reaper Build (U48)
    Max DC Illusionist Reaper Build (U48)

Community Member

This is what I was thinking (totally untested) to eliminate the save on pact damage to allow hybridization, to give it some damage type diversity and borrow bypass with common classes, and double its base damage die:

Abyssal One - Raid Dps Warlock

20 Warlock 41 ES (capstone) +25 VKF (offhand %, crit) +7 FI (cha to hit and dmg) + 7 SE (prr/mrr debuff) in Fatesinger

Helf- Warlock Dilli, Abyssal Pact

Swap between warlock dilli (20d4 fire pact damage, no save?) and Abyssal Pact (10d4 negative with save) based on raid boss? (warlock dilli if an alc/sorc in group is removing fire immunity)
    I don't have a Warlock at the moment and this can't be tested on an Iconic, but an "old" forum post suggests Channel the Abyss is mutually exclusive with the Teacup (ES Core 5). DDOWiki's Transformation page doesn't address CtA directly but does lump Celestial Spirit and PM undead forms in the same stance type. Not a dealbreaker, but it loses some shine.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Discpsycho View Post
    Not a dealbreaker, but it loses some shine.
    they are mutually exclusive stances. but it looks like Tilo wasn't thinking of self healing through undead shroud. just stacking crazy debuffs via aura, probably relying on all those temp hp's to avoid the need to heal.

eliminate the save on pact damage
    In general, I don't think any character should be locked out of DPS due to class flavor mechanics. Doesn't matter if it's DR or Saves+Evasion. It's bad for the game to have any character even situationally neutered for role-play reasons.

Melee with Fetters + [..] + [..] + [..] Swap between
    LOL. I like the idea, but your tolerance for swapping gear in DDO is inhuman. I've done wholesale swaps in games that support it with macros (old FFXI), but on this game a single swap for one buff comes pretty close to killing a build for me.

Should Sorcs and Alcs AoE 1 shot groups of mobs while leveling?
    I was thinking about this post's original premise/title while playing with a one-shot room-clearing alch just yesterday. Had this weird and rather inappropriate idea: we could add auto-follow to the game and have a character's melee, ranged, and spell power scale by number of follower's .. x2, x4, x8, .. x32. The end result really wouldn't change -- if 8k clears a room, 256k would still just clear a room -- but the Sor/Alch would see bigger numbers. Time to accept and lean in!

Community Member

LOL. I like the idea, but your tolerance for swapping gear in DDO is inhuman.
    You don't have to swap, you could just take the somewhat-ish dust debuff from a single death aura from swapping once every 3.5 mins to cast death aura.

Anyone want to test warlock dilli on aura on a vet7 character?
    Last edited by Tilomere; 01-29-2021 at 07:33 PM.

OL. I like the idea, but your tolerance for swapping gear in DDO is inhuman. I've done wholesale swaps in games that support it with macros (old FFXI), but on this game a single swap for one buff comes pretty close to killing a build for me.
    Swapping gear isn't the issue though, it's the dragged out forced cooldown for each item swapped and lag which comes with it.

Community Member

I was thinking about this post's original premise/title while playing with a one-shot room-clearing alch just yesterday. Had this weird and rather inappropriate idea: we could add auto-follow to the game and have a character's melee, ranged, and spell power scale by number of follower's .. x2, x4, x8, .. x32. The end result really wouldn't change -- if 8k clears a room, 256k would still just clear a room -- but the Sor/Alch would see bigger numbers. Time to accept and lean in!
    Or, if you want to go one step further, have it so you can pike off of and gain the xp/rxp/named items of a sorc/alc player even while offline. Just target a sorc or alc in game and type /pike. That sorc or alc gets +20% damage for each person that does so, and the dungeon scales by each piker as well. Then you could just log in once a week on your swashbuckler, and level up and reincarnate and spend all the reaper points and items as if you had been playing a sorc.

This has the added benefit of actually reducing lag, and it isn't a substantially different experience than playing that swashbuckler, so minimal disruption to how the game is actually played.
    Last edited by Tilomere; 01-29-2021 at 09:46 PM.

Community Member

This is still not a class problem, devs managed to reduce dps spell casting ( probably against their best intentions) to Multi Vial and Meteor Swarm spamming. This not only overshadows martial builds but also all other spell caster builds.

Properly identified root cause fixes are best to patch as soon as they can, if they wait for 10-15 months, and players invest deeply into these builds, the rage will be hard to contain, as seen with inquisitive and many other stuff before.

This is not a class or dps and definitely not a core feature problem, this is 2 spells way out of line with anything else in the game interacting with immunity breaking in a way that produces exponential results in the fewest player actions.

Both Sorcerer and Alchemist does this with minimal cost, and in reaper they are actually rewarded to do this with Lost Souls.

This is a circus created by the naive implementation to remove elemental immunities.

What would be better implementation?:

- Adding large spell points cost thru a Meta Magic like toggle feat
    - Having to cast a target limited spell, eg: a cone with points cost AND cooldown.
    - Having some sort of internal target limit or cooldown ( not very good for the gameplay hasnt improved in this cast, just throttled)
    - Other ideas... please help fill in

Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 ... LastLast