Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast
    2015 DDO Players Council
    The Legendary Fighter God

Default Lag has killed my desire to play

I love this game and I consider myself lucky to have had the years of enjoyment it provided.

However, for the past several months now, when I find myself wanting to play this game, I quickly lose this desire when I remember how unplayable DDO has become. I just don't want to deal with it anymore, so I don't log on.

I don't know why this has become so bad, but the reaper enhancement points constantly applying and stripping is the easiest thing to reach for, since we feel it every.single.time.we.run.a.quest. What's the detriment to just leaving these on? Is it that we will ROFLSTOMP normal or hard raids even more than we do now? If that's true, is that a more severe offense than the unplayable lag it is otherwise causing, maybe?

I don't care about the new raid. I don't care about the new classic pack. I don't care about the destiny revamp. I don't care about the level cap raise. I don't care about any other piece of news you have for future production if it does not provide a smoother gaming experience than we have now.
    Check out my Twitch Channel
    Argonnessen's DEGENERATE MATTER

+1
    Kill'em all and let their favorite deity sort'em out
    BoloGrubb / DJGrubb / Gijo
    Proud member of the HighLords of Malkier

Community Member

sorry man.
    you don't know me, but I have been around awhile and just an occasional poster here. used several of your builds and appreciate what you brought to the game.
    check in later. maybe there will be a fix.

Community Member

It would be more effective to post videos of DDO lag consistently on social media until essentially the problem becomes too hot not to handle.

We all know SSG has no counter marketing campaign that couldn't be remotely swamped by a plethora of lag videos posted across various platforms.

crippling lag just forced an early end to raid night.
    Argo: Degenerate Matter - 200
    Jotmon (HC 30/42 , RC 36/39 , IC 12/21 , EC 29/48 , RP 95/158)
    Jotlock (HC 38/42 , RC 0/39 , IC 15/21 , EC 36/48 , RP 36/158..favor toon)
    Whatthetruck (HC 38/42 , RC 35/39 , IC 15/21 , EC 30/48 , RP 88/158)

Quote Originally Posted by 1cebeast View Post
    sorry man.
    you don't know me, but I have been around awhile and just an occasional poster here. used several of your builds and appreciate what you brought to the game.
    check in later. maybe there will be a fix.
    You made me scroll back up and see who the OP was. Yikes, this one does hurt.

The game needs to become the main product again. When the game is merely the environment the real product is bought and used in, compromised environment issues like this continue to be neglected.
    Quote Originally Posted by Teh_Troll View Post
    We are no more d000m'd then we were a week ago. Note - This was posted in 10/2013 (when concurrency was ~4x what it is today)

Yes, the lag has become soul-crushing, lately.
    "A wise person chooses the right road; a fool takes the wrong one." - Author unknown

Quote Originally Posted by Lynnabel View Post
    Hi Welcome

Community Member

I can only hope EG7 starts smacking people until things get fixed.

While I appreciate the sentiment and agree that paying customers deserve better, but you guys don't play on Ghallanda and if you don't play on GLand you don't know what devastating and soul-crushing lag is. We get lag in public areas like you guys get in the Shroud or Feywild. Hell, I sometimes have to click 2 or 3 times just to summon a horse. I wish I had kept the link, but the devs even admitted a while back that there were severe problems with the nodes and virtual machines comprising the server, but as I recall they pretty much left it at that.

Regardless of all that, I hope that ssg eventually gets the message and hires someone who can fix at least some of the issues that result in "lag". We all log in to have fun. Repeated rubber-banding, stop action fight scenes, item swaps and spellcasts that somehow never take and such events are frustrating at best and decidedly not fun.
    Quote Originally Posted by MalkavianX View Post
    and then dropped it like a burning kitten

/signed

The very first thing on my mind on raid night isn't "I wonder how many and who will show up today" but rather "I hope we dont get too much lag so we call it quits early". Note, its not even "I hope we dont get lag" as thats a given but ".. not too much".

The state of the game is well beyond not worth recommending it to anyone.

/sadness
    Danskerne
    A Danish Guild on Ghallanda. Send PM if interested.
    Leading Raids Thursdays from 20 CET and Sundays from 21 CET.

Community Member

I hope finally devs accept my suggestion to remove all passive grants from reaper trees, and replace them with moderate cooldown on-demand active buffs and boosts. Not only this will do 100% better game balance, but it will also be 100% better design vs dynamic content. The entire point of reaper is to react to random events ( reaper spawns). Coincidentally it will actually divide players by meta skill <-> not grind endurance and pay to win by exp boosts. The lag when entering a reaper quest is just about insane, guess what? all gone with this change.

Instead of flat hp, different versions of AC, PRR, MRR, DR%, other defense boosts, including maybe a healing amp boost, spell points does not need compensation, the souls are more than enough already.

Solve multiple large scale issues with 1 stroke i say.

Edit: Boost for assasinate and sneaking should be included, with a short boost to be immune to reaper auto spot, bring back some of the player skill builds into the game with another small feat.
    Last edited by janave; 01-05-2021 at 02:53 AM.

I haven't logged in for about a week or so. And I honestly don't know when/if I next will. It's a bunch of issues that have coalesced into my utter lack of drive to play DDO. Worst thing is, I know a bit of a break would help that - but if the lag is the same or worse when I come back, why bother coming back after a break? If the core experience is so impossible to enjoy due to the lag (which is not my computer or my connection) - then no resolution to my other issues even matter. No number of days off will help to rediscover the basic thrill of playing this game if the moment-to-moment gameplay is tainted and frustrating.

I've given up on it. I don't think it can be fixed at this point. I've been here since nearly the beginning, closed beta in 05, and I've seen the problem of the lag just get worse and worse no matter the amount of reassurances given. I'm tired of platitudes. I'm tired of a chain of seemingly empty promises. This game is just a staggering corpse of what it used to be, more concerned with shilling the next thing to shill rather than fixing what need most to be fixed.

If the game can't be enjoyably played, there is no game.
    Exit, pursued by a bear. ~ William Shakespeare (stage direction from The Winter's Tale)

Quote Originally Posted by Cetus View Post
    I love this game and I consider myself lucky to have had the years of enjoyment it provided.

I don't care about the new raid. I don't care about the new classic pack. I don't care about the destiny revamp. I don't care about the level cap raise. I don't care about any other piece of news you have for future production if it does not provide a smoother gaming experience than we have now.

This 100%.
    Proud guild gimp of Synergia! Adults only. Bring beer. Pants optional.
    Banginurz/Chimpinurz/Shagginurz/Spankinurz.

Quote Originally Posted by Memnir View Post
    I'm tired of platitudes. I'm tired of a chain of seemingly empty promises. This game is just a staggering corpse of what it used to be, more concerned with shilling the next thing to shill rather than fixing what need most to be fixed.

If the game can't be enjoyably played, there is no game.
    All of this. The lag overshadows any neato thing coming down the pipeline.
    Last edited by Carpone; 01-05-2021 at 06:51 AM.
    DPS solves all problems. R10 or bust. Khyber: Ying-1, Kobeyashi

Well said.
    Danskerne
    A Danish Guild on Ghallanda. Send PM if interested.
    Leading Raids Thursdays from 20 CET and Sundays from 21 CET.

However, for the past several months now, when I find myself wanting to play this game, I quickly lose this desire when I remember how unplayable DDO has become. I just don't want to deal with it anymore, so I don't log on.

I don't know why this has become so bad, but the reaper enhancement points constantly applying and stripping is the easiest thing to reach for, since we feel it every.single.time.we.run.a.quest. What's the detriment to just leaving these on? Is it that we will ROFLSTOMP normal or hard raids even more than we do now? If that's true, is that a more severe offense than the unplayable lag it is otherwise causing, maybe?

I'm sorry, but I'm having trouble breathing here. I'm laughing so **** hard. You think the lag DDO currently has makes the game unplayable? Oh you sweet summer child, you have no idea how bad the lag has been at times. Back when the game first launched it lagged so badly in public areas that you could spend a half hour or more just going from the Leaky Dingy to the Information is Key quest entrance. Once it took me an hour to go from the Wayward Lobster tavern to a quest entrance door for Kobolds' New Ringleader.
    Finding ones past, present, and future in the threads of destiny.

Community Member HungarianRhapsody's Avatar

A lot of the time I solo because I'm at work and I have to let my character sit for a while in between fights instead of moving to the next objective.

...but the rest of the time I still end up soloing because the lag is so bad in groups. That's not a good thing. DDO is still my favorite first person shooter, but wouldn't it be nice to have the "MM" part of "MMO" actually mean something?
    No one in the world ever gets what they want
    And that is beautiful
    Everybody dies frustrated and sad
    And that is beautiful

Quote Originally Posted by Red_Knight View Post
    I'm sorry, but I'm having trouble breathing here. I'm laughing so **** hard. You think the lag DDO currently has makes the game unplayable? Oh you sweet summer child, you have no idea how bad the lag has been at times. Back when the game first launched it lagged so badly in public areas that you could spend a half hour or more just going from the Leaky Dingy to the Information is Key quest entrance. Once it took me an hour to go from the Wayward Lobster tavern to a quest entrance door for Kobolds' New Ringleader.
    you are saying it like it is a good thing. go on saying that now the situation is good because it could be worse. people talking like this will kill the game.

really helpful.

for every vet that says goodbye there are 100 players that haven't even ever posted.

you are missing the point that the OP is not talking about the current issues and only that, read between the lines, ssg made OP discover "the last straw", they drove OP away. it takes a lot of time and a lot of issues.
    Last edited by Valerianus; 01-05-2021 at 07:19 AM.

Community Member HungarianRhapsody's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Red_Knight View Post
    It's weird how trolling doesn't seem to be against the forum rules but pointing out that something is a troll is against the forum rules.
    No one in the world ever gets what they want
    And that is beautiful
    Everybody dies frustrated and sad
    And that is beautiful

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast