Community Member dragonhighlord1's Avatar

Default Gnome: 16 alchemist/2 arti/2 rogue gear and playstyle question

Any links to level up gearing(specifically from 20 to 27) for this style type of toon? running in inquisitor, I play in static group of 3, my roll is single target(boss dps) and heals.

1. Is the ratcatcher still the best crossbow? up to what level? (I have 6 filaments unlocked on the sentient gem)

2. better to lose the 20% and use improved precise shot ?

3. Any advice on gear, playstyle or just how gimped this class split is. (we run almost all content on 4 to 6 skulls) end game will be to run all content 1x. unless we switch to reaper xp farming but this is doubtful.
    Less is More, and Perfect is good enough

Community Member

why not drop rogue, 18/2?
    your gear should be based around sharn ranged set (wallwatch) until 29, when you replace it with legendary wallwatch set.
    add some cannith crafted or epic keep gear while leveling.
    as for weapon, lot of okay options here. you can continue using Ratcatcher or Nightshade, or grab KotB crossbow (particularly if you want to spend on transferring your sentience here). Thunder-Forged is fine too; consider also the ML24 with vulnerability upgrade for more boss dps.

Quote Originally Posted by cru121 View Post
    why not drop rogue, 18/2?
    (very valid, I am not sure what I gain by it, but I am guessing its better, i take rogue for the early evasion and extra sneak die) what do i gain by heart-ing out of the 2 rogue?

your gear should be based around sharn ranged set (wallwatch)
    (That is what I am using, that is the best all the way to 29? so at 28, Ill be shooting a level 7 light crossbow and wearing level 15 helm, armor and gloves. (btw that is what I came with as well, just seemed like I should be able to better)until 29, when you replace it with legendary wallwatch set.
    add some cannith crafted or epic keep gear while leveling.

as for weapon, lot of okay options here. you can continue using Ratcatcher or Nightshade, or grab KotB crossbow (particularly if you want to spend on transferring your sentience here(if its better i will transfer my 6 if I have the right crossbow,(edit.. the keep on the boarderlands bows?).which one is better in your opinion?, Thunder-Forged is fine too; consider also the ML24 with vulnerability upgrade for more boss dps.
    Thank you for taking the time, I value all input and all those people that do all the number crunching, that I use to love when I played nwn and ddo before I got so far behind.

Quote Originally Posted by dragonhighlord1 View Post
    Any links to level up gearing(specifically from 20 to 27) for this style type of toon? running in inquisitor, I play in static group of 3, my roll is single target(boss dps) and heals.

1. Is the ratcatcher still the best crossbow? up to what level? (I have 6 filaments unlocked on the sentient gem)

2. better to lose the 20% and use improved precise shot ?

3. Any advice on gear, playstyle or just how gimped this class split is. (we run almost all content on 4 to 6 skulls) end game will be to run all content 1x. unless we switch to reaper xp farming but this is doubtful.
    I'm currently alch 18/arty2.
    If you have gears or don't mind farming some, Silverthread belt can be nice, necromancer's bracelet, Sunken Slippers too, and Poisonclasp in early epic.

Quote Originally Posted by Valniel View Post
    I'm currently alch 18/arty2.
    If you have gears or don't mind farming some, Silverthread belt can be nice, necromancer's bracelet, Sunken Slippers too, and Poisonclasp in early epic.

will do. you play inquis style as well?

will do. you play inquis style as well?
    Yes, I did an heroic life and 2 epics. It's a pure inquisitive or a hybrid depending of the level or the quest. There is some levels and places where multivial is just plain better, especially in heroic. CC are fairly reliable in heroic too with a piece of cannith crafted gears.

I still use multivial in some content in epic in order to weaken a pack before finishing these with IPS like fire multivial against scarecrow. In older contents, multivial helps to have a good pace like in two toed tobias where my multivial still work well in EE despite low investment in it(no metamagic, no dc gears, I didn't managed to get poisonclasp).

Multivial is nice too for a shot to paralyze stuff from nerve venom I guess since it hit 3 times.

If you are looking for epic xbows with unusual crit profile, there is Epic Storm.
    But Sands epic crafting is considered as the most atrocious in the game, so probably not worth it, unless you happen to have all ingredients by chance.

Thunderforged tier 0 seems better than borderlands weapons. Epic Guidance comes with good, silver, ghost touch.

Use IPS for trash (in other words, all the time), switch to Archer Focus for HP bags that take substantial time to kill (red names, Doom Reapers, beefy champions).

Drop 2 rogue. You get trap skills from Arti, Evasion from Alch. Keep 2 Arti for Runearm and extra boosts from Battle Engineer. Consider going Dragonborn or HOrc, if you have racial AP to spare, for extra boosts in racial tree.
    Alternatively you can go 16 alch / 2 arti / 2 barb for fast movement and extra boosts + sprint boost from FB.
    Arlandina / Bayanessa / Smallsword of Argonnessen

Default Thunderforged tier 0)level 24) better than borderlands?

Quote Originally Posted by magaiti View Post
    If you are looking for epic xbows with unusual crit profile, there is Epic Storm.
    But Sands epic crafting is considered as the most atrocious in the game, so probably not worth it, unless you happen to have all ingredients by chance.

Thunderforged tier 0 seems better than borderlands weapons. Epic Guidance comes with good, silver, ghost touch.

Use IPS for trash (in other words, all the time), switch to Archer Focus for HP bags that take substantial time to kill (red names, Doom Reapers, beefy champions).

Drop 2 rogue. You get trap skills from Arti, Evasion from Alch. Keep 2 Arti for Runearm and extra boosts from Battle Engineer. Consider going Dragonborn or HOrc, if you have racial AP to spare, for extra boosts in racial tree.
    Alternatively you can go 16 alch / 2 arti / 2 barb for fast movement and extra boosts + sprint boost from FB.
    This is so helpful. Is the reason ratcatcher is not as good due to crit nerf or the 6 filaments or both? (my daughter plays a 18arti and 2 rogue but does not have the filaments unlocked she does have the rat, borderlands and thunderforged )

Thanks for the ips input, I couldnt detect if losing the 20% was still better.

What do I gain by 2 more alchemist? (2 dc, anything else worth it?) The barb seems like the best option.

This is so helpful. Is the reason ratcatcher is not as good due to crit nerf or the 6 filaments or both? (my daughter plays a 18arti and 2 rogue but does not have the filaments unlocked she does have the rat, borderlands and thunderforged )

Thanks for the ips input, I couldnt detect if losing the 20% was still better.

What do I gain by 2 more alchemist? (2 dc, anything else worth it?) The barb seems like the best option.
    You lose that:
    "Brushed Aside: You gain the Defensive Roll feat (While below 20% HP, there's a chance equal to your Reflex save that attacks do half damage and have their effects negated).
    Your Poisoned Coating Dice are now d10s (Replacing previous d8s). While holding a Simple Weapon in your Main Hand and a Simple Weapon, Orb, Rune Arm, or nothing in your off hand, you have +1 Competence bonus to Critical Damage Multiplier.

Passive: While your Reaction is Orchidium, +5 Physicial Resistance rating and +5% Dodge Cap." and a poison die from being a level 18 alchemist,

and a 6th spell but I'm not sure if it's that relevant.

Regarding Brushed Aside:
    +1 crit multiplier does not stack with Inquis core 4, other bonuses are not that significant

Regarding races with action boost enhancements: Disregard my advice on going HOrc, tall races have trouble hitting multiple small targets with IPS. Even Dragonborn might not be worth it.
    Halfling is best, gnome is bugged and shoots from forehead, dwarf in second best, then elves, then other human-sized races. Big guys (HOrc, BF, PDK) are the worst.
    Arlandina / Bayanessa / Smallsword of Argonnessen

Quote Originally Posted by magaiti View Post
    Regarding Brushed Aside:
    +1 crit multiplier does not stack with Inquis core 4, other bonuses are not that significant

Regarding races with action boost enhancements: Disregard my advice on going HOrc, tall races have trouble hitting multiple small targets with IPS. Even Dragonborn might not be worth it.
    Halfling is best, gnome is bugged and shoots from forehead, dwarf in second best, then elves, then other human-sized races. Big guys (HOrc, BF, PDK) are the worst.
    Well, it's 5d8 versus 6d10 scaling with spellpower and less caster level. Going with 2 barb levels will still be some lost dps.

Community Member

Maybe this helps.
    Last edited by Tilomere; 11-28-2020 at 12:35 PM.