Community Member

Default Feydark Illustionist Shadow spell caster level caps?

Does anyone know the MCL of the shadow spells from the feydark illusionist?

Researching this I read they increased them so I figured they'd be on the higher side, but the damage in game is not so promising. Is it possible they were never increased?

My initial testing shows them being cast as level 31 spells, but the damage is less than I'd expect if that was true. I didn't take the feat that increases the MCL, but was previously considering it.

Think you're not alone there.

It looks like there's a maximum caster level cap of 30 (max average of around 1070 damage, which is roughly 3.5 die + 2 bonus x 30 level x 6.5 spell power), this is despite me (according to the log) attempting to cast them at Caster Level 41 (fourty one). I can't breach the average numbers for use of it for a long while now and just accepted it, because for me, it's miles better than my standard Blade Barrier, where it comes in half of that, and also evadable. But yeah, there's a cap of some kind there.

Incidentally, the Fan of Shadowblades is also a bit funky, but that'll be for another thread I guess.

J1NG
    Thelanis: Yijing (*Completionist* TR 20 Aasimar Scourge Monk Level 20 / Epic Level 10)
    Thelanis: Pocket-Monks: Sightblur, Peashoote, Jigglypath.
    Invisible Fences, unkillable Target Practice Dummy's, Shared Bank's, Pale Lavender Ioun Stones, the dimensional barrier between Eberron and Shavarath, I've broken them all...

Community Member

Thanks for the reply. What build are you running? FVS?

For some reason I'm no longer seeing Caster Level in my combat log for the shadow spells.

I did some math and found without the feat I was averaging damage as would be expected if they capped at level 24/25. With the feat I was capped out at 29/30. I'm guessing this is due to the only caster level affecting them on my character is character level. I don't have anyway to boost it higher at this point.

In theory I think you could get over 30 if you were running FvS which would increase the MCL from 35 with master of shadow to 38 (with the force enhancement) and increase the CL to 33. If you went extreme you could get them to 41MCL and 36CL running magister with focus in illusion. I'll have to check if I have any Arcane caster gear to see if it pushes the Caster level higher.

I feel like you could eke a force build out if you went all in on ruin, g ruin etc but I doubt it would be worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by Synthetic View Post
    Thanks for the reply. What build are you running? FVS?
    FvS yes.

For some reason I'm no longer seeing Caster Level in my combat log for the shadow spells.
    Odd. Mine are still working.

I did some math and found without the feat I was averaging damage as would be expected if they capped at level 24/25. With the feat I was capped out at 29/30. I'm guessing this is due to the only caster level affecting them on my character is character level. I don't have anyway to boost it higher at this point.

In theory I think you could get over 30 if you were running FvS which would increase the MCL from 35 with master of shadow to 38 (with the force enhancement) and increase the CL to 33. If you went extreme you could get them to 41MCL and 36CL running magister with focus in illusion. I'll have to check if I have any Arcane caster gear to see if it pushes the Caster level higher.

I feel like you could eke a force build out if you went all in on ruin, g ruin etc but I doubt it would be worth it.
    Yeah, I have the FvS Cha build so it fits in nicely with using Feydark Illusionist and also why my numbers are a bit higher than yours.

Caster Level is 20 as FvS (FvS Level 20), +3 from Enhancement for increasing Force spells in AoV, +5 from being in Fatesinger (because it counts as caster levels that count for the spell, despite it being different from main class caster type, likely due to the Universal nature of it), and +3 from helm (Faedark Faerielights), giving Level 41 as Caster Level.

But from the numbers I have (given in previous post) it seems to top out at around Caster Level 30 and won't go higher. Which is still dissapointing in terms of numbers, as with 500 odd Force Power (including Max and Emp), I'm only looking at around 1k force damage on average.

:: edit ::

Ah, but I see now there's the new Master of Shadowblades Feat, I don't have that. But +10 MCL, should add to that nicely then. So there is a way to increase it further from MCL of 30 to 40 then. It's just it doesn't seem that useful considering that it's in need of an Epic Feat.

J1NG
    Last edited by J1NG; 11-23-2020 at 04:55 PM. Reason: Found the Master of Shadowblades feat
    Thelanis: Yijing (*Completionist* TR 20 Aasimar Scourge Monk Level 20 / Epic Level 10)
    Thelanis: Pocket-Monks: Sightblur, Peashoote, Jigglypath.
    Invisible Fences, unkillable Target Practice Dummy's, Shared Bank's, Pale Lavender Ioun Stones, the dimensional barrier between Eberron and Shavarath, I've broken them all...