Results 1 to 9 of 9
  1. #1
    Community Member Cranjis-of-Orien's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2020
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    76

    Default No one really knows enough about PvP to dislike it

    Most people I talk to about pvp say it sucks because there's not much to do and they didn't join DDO just to wail on each other in the Wayward Lobster. I believe some word needs to get out that there's more options than just attacking each other in a small pit. I have had a couple groups in the past where, when we are waiting for something, someone suggests we do pvp and we all agree. And, if I am the group leader, I surprise everyone by making the group into a raid group and throwing out the requests to join an actual pvp deathmatch or capture the flag round, and everyone normally has no idea what just happened or how I did that. And after the deathmatch/ctf round has ended, everyone says they had a lot of fun.
    The fact that all these people I have been in groups with have had so much fun with these pvp rounds shows that it does have potential. More people just need to find out about the actual pvp maps and settings.

  2. #2
    The Hatchery Enoach's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Tennessee
    Posts
    9,544

    Default

    These options do exist, you are correct they are not advertised. But I would say that doesn't stop players from figuring out how to get the word out to others.

    Reasons I dislike PvP has nothing to do with the options available. It has everything to do with how I enjoy playing the game. It also has to do with what is allowed and not allowed in PvP.

  3. #3
    Community Member Cranjis-of-Orien's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2020
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    76

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Enoach View Post
    These options do exist, you are correct they are not advertised. But I would say that doesn't stop players from figuring out how to get the word out to others.

    Reasons I dislike PvP has nothing to do with the options available. It has everything to do with how I enjoy playing the game. It also has to do with what is allowed and not allowed in PvP.
    If you dislike it, that's alright. But the thing is, pretty much anything is allowed once in the actual pvp zones, not the taverns.

  4. #4
    Community Member C-Dog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Lacalifusa
    Posts
    5,688

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Enoach View Post
    Reasons I dislike PvP has nothing to do with the options available. It has everything to do with how I enjoy playing the game. It also has to do with what is allowed and not allowed in PvP.
    This.

    There is nothing in PvP that attracts me. Doesn't, not even for a second, mean it shouldn't attract others.

    Haff fun stomin da cassul!
    o/
    The Basics of DDO / "Select Adventure Pack" Sales & "How to choose an Adventure Pack"

    "It's hard to win an argument with a smart person, but it's near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person." Bill Murray

  5. #5
    2014 DDO Players Council
    SirValentine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Eastern USA
    Posts
    8,341

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Cranjis-of-Orien View Post
    No one really knows enough about PvP to dislike it
    That's a pretty arrogant assumption. And wrong.

    Maybe you should be pointing your finger at all the people whining about not enough PvP who are ignorant of the options you mention.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vargouille View Post
    As a general rule we don't intend for a single spawn area to cause any dungeon alert, and certainly not red dungeon alert. This basically isn't ever a goal in our designs

  6. #6

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Cranjis-of-Orien View Post
    Most people I talk to about pvp say it sucks because there's not much to do and they didn't join DDO just to wail on each other in the Wayward Lobster. I believe some word needs to get out that there's more options than just attacking each other in a small pit. I have had a couple groups in the past where, when we are waiting for something, someone suggests we do pvp and we all agree. And, if I am the group leader, I surprise everyone by making the group into a raid group and throwing out the requests to join an actual pvp deathmatch or capture the flag round, and everyone normally has no idea what just happened or how I did that. And after the deathmatch/ctf round has ended, everyone says they had a lot of fun.
    The fact that all these people I have been in groups with have had so much fun with these pvp rounds shows that it does have potential. More people just need to find out about the actual pvp maps and settings.
    Any pvp scene would have to happen by a someone putting up LFMs and getting enough like-minded people to join.

    This is unlikely as many people don't really want to do pvp, toons aren't balanced for pvp and there are no rewards.

    But feel welcome to try, I think you'll struggle. Not for me though.

  7. #7
    Community Member HungarianRhapsody's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    6,990

    Default

    I'm 100% fine with PvP existing. I'm glad it exists. I'm happy for the people who enjoy it. I'm thrilled that people can accurately test in-game effects on other players in PvP to find bugs and to find documented information that isn't listed in release notes.

    But I don't want SSG to change any of the PvE part of DDO in order to satisfy the desires of PvP players.
    No one in the world ever gets what they want
    And that is beautiful
    Everybody dies frustrated and sad
    And that is beautiful

  8. #8
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2019
    Posts
    112

    Default

    I think it's a bit too late to make huge changes to PvP, because to make a scene happen here, there have to be several steps that have to be done.

    1.) PvP-challenges: We need something like challenges to make the whole group dynamic, teamwork, and balancing work out. If for example, several Cannith and Estar challenges had a PvP aspect, where all would gain materials and XP, but are also mandated to actually play against each other to max them out, then there would be more reason to actually form PvP-groups. The tavern brawling is just boring real quick, there are other ways to compete.

    2.) Leaderboards: With a league where everyone would get Astral Shards or another form of rare currency (like material boxes of your choice or saga-like rewards) depending on their performance per quartal would also make the winning preferable and people actually compete. This would require burocracy though and if there is nothing for SSG to earn for it, why should they use these resources?

    3.) Guild inclusion: To make PvP interesting, guilds should also be included in a way. Here the problem lies with great guilds, as any point-based system would make it hard for smaller guilds to compete, whiloe rewards like guild renown is absolutely obsolete for the high level guilds, etc.

    I guess, a player may take up the mantle to organize a league, but it's limited how players can reward other players, especially since transactions between players are limited and therefore, someone has to farm rare items or the like just to give them away later. As long as we can't transfer DDO points to a certain bank-like account as entry fee and then redistribute them to the winners, it'll be hard to keep the actual competers interested, as DDO has so much other content to play.

  9. #9
    Founder & Hero cdbd3rd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Escaping Mizzery in the Tavern Attic.
    Posts
    27,786

    Default

    Mainly in regard to your point #2 above, there should never, never, EVER be rewards of substance for PvP activity.

    Anything more substantial than cosmetic stuff would be farmed & exploited to oblivion.


    Edit: I'm referring to game-based official rewards only, not player-organized events in any way.
    Last edited by cdbd3rd; 11-25-2020 at 06:55 AM.
    CEO - Cupcake's Muskateers, Thelanis
    DDO Freebies

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

This form's session has expired. You need to reload the page.

Reload