Community Member Alrik_Fassbauer's Avatar

Default 2 points of comparison & criticism of the mount unicorns from ingame & the poster

Hello,

there are 2 points which I noticed (and would like to see changed) with the mount Unicorns in comparison of Feywild Expansion poster vs. ingame :

1. the horns have a too steep angle in-game, imho. Their angle - the angle of them growing out of heads - is far better displayed on the Expansion poster.

Personally, I'd like to see it changed rather towards the poster, because that angle is what I know from all games & pictures.

2. The "goatee beard" of the Unicorns is in line with some descriptions and pictures of them, but not with most modern fantasy art. The Expansion poster does not show the Unicorn with such a goatee beard, either.

Personlly, I'd like to see it changed rather towards the poster, because that is what the common look of most fantasy Unicorns in the media is like.

I do not know, hoever, whether this look of the mount Unicorns is gender specific or not; in the animal kingdom, there are a lot of animals known to have different looks for male and female forms.

An interesting remark is there in the foreword of the first "Pheobe And Her unicorn" book by Dana Simpson : In the foreword, Peter S. Beagle writes that until his story, female Unicorns were unknown in literature or media.

Interesting, how times - and our perceptions - have changed.

Alrik
    "You are a Tiefling. And a Cleric, with the Domain of the Sun. Doesn't that contradict each other ?" "No, all my friends are playing evil. I found that so boring that I decided to be on the good side. And, besides, Sun and Fire, where is the difference, really ?"

Hello,

concept art often differs from in-game art

alas, video game development is a sizable effort

i understand the allure of wanting to be the "creative idea guy" on the forums, demanding visual changes

while the devs themselves do the hard work

How would you feel if you got a development group together

only to realize your fanbase wants you to do all the hard coding, programming and RPG systems balancing

and all the fun visual design and creativity was in the hands of random people on your forums?

Well, luckily it doesn't work like that.

Let the devs decide on the visuals of the game.

Perhaps when you are the creative director of your own video game company, you can make unicorns the way you like them?

Post ideas and suggestions instead that can improve the game for everyone objectively, not subjectively.

why do you write like this by the way?

Napoleon Bonaparte
    Last edited by TekkenDevil; 10-27-2020 at 02:02 AM.

Community Member Alrik_Fassbauer's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TekkenDevil View Post
    The short answer is this : I'm an old fart, I can do what I like.

The long answer, however, is this :

Sad that you apparingly can't see it : If you look at your own text from afar, you can see that it has a structure. That it looks almost like a poem.

Writing like this gives the words and the sentences room to breathe. It's a bit like writing a poem : To let the meaning of a certain wording sink into the reader's mind, one has to write it in a special way to emphasize it.

Poets do that all the time. They give it a certain structure - a structure which can be seen from afar.
    I just cannot think of a poem being written like a wall of text. Then, it wouldn't be a poem anymore.
    Or at least it would be an experimental one, one which plays whith the reader's expectation of how poems "should" look like. When I was young ( read : at school ) , I was doing a lot of experimental stuff with words and with sentences. I loved Dadaism, then, for example.

Giving a text such a structure also has the benefit of putting "themes" together into blocks.
    So, for example, when I have ended with a thought, and begin expressing another thought, this new thought gets its own paragraph.

I also prefer writing with blanks before and after signs within sentences. Letters and things like brackets need room to breathe, room to be recognised. I put special emphasis on a question mark by putting a blank before it, so that it is less likely that it gets overlooked.

Writing is art to me. I'm not writing just to present mere "information".

Post ideas and suggestions instead that can improve the game for everyone objectively, not subjectively.
    What is objective and what is subjective ? Is the bias towards in-game mechanics by most players "objectively improving" or "subjectively improving" ? Math, it is said, is always objective, because it doesn't transport emotions.

But, it is still a bias. Some people's fun is different from some people's fun, so to say. What one person likes is probably not what another person likes.

Me, for example, I do not play DDO for mechanics, not for power. I want story. Which, on the other hand, seems not to be liked much, because the length of discussions about mechanics is often so much longer than the length about story.

Look up the term "Pandering To The Base" on TV Tropes, and you'll see that caterin only 1 group of fans often isn't optimal for the health of the *whole* game, series, MMO, etc. ...

Perhaps when you are the creative director of your own video game company, you can make unicorns the way you like them?
    I already do so : I write fantasy stories. I'm totally unpublished, though, since no-one wants short fantasy stories, and i just can't write novels.

Napoleon Bonaparte
    Thank you for adding your own part to Dadaism.
    Last edited by Alrik_Fassbauer; 10-27-2020 at 01:41 PM.
    "You are a Tiefling. And a Cleric, with the Domain of the Sun. Doesn't that contradict each other ?" "No, all my friends are playing evil. I found that so boring that I decided to be on the good side. And, besides, Sun and Fire, where is the difference, really ?"

Community Member

I like the beard.
    It would be a nice gesture if SSG converted the unicorn mounts into a multi-selector: she-corn without beard and he-corn with beard.
    That kinda sounds like it wouldn't be too much effort, to remove beard from an existing model.

Now, the intriguing case of the unicorn horn angle... I don't have an opinion about that one

I don't think we've had such an in-depth debate (here and other threads) on creature anatomy since the great dragon wing debate of... well, way back when.

CEO - Cupcake's Muskateers, Thelanis
    DDO Freebies

Community Member

Vote NO on proposition beard!

#UnicornsHaveNoBeards
    #MajesticCreatures
    #NoBeards
    #ShaveItOff
    Sarlona: Tobril | Syg | Trogbril

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by cdbd3rd View Post
    I don't think we've had such an in-depth debate (here and other threads) on creature anatomy since the great dragon wing debate of... well, way back when.
    Well... I usually don't have a strong opinion about how stuff should look like. The only discussion I recall is... the boobs of female dragonborn. https://1d4chan.org/wiki/Dragonborn#...bs_Controversy

Thing is, the modern view of unicorns as some majestic white stallion that happens to have a horn is a VERY recent development, largely unsupported by historical folklore and pictures.

etc, etc... Do a search for "historical unicorns". Yes, non-bearded unicorns appear, but the fact is, bearded (and often small, goat-like) unicorns are historically accurate as far as folklore goes. (If your knowledge of European folklore goes back further than "My Little Pony" anyway...)
    Last edited by Katalissa; 10-30-2020 at 07:13 AM.

Community Member HungarianRhapsody's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Katalissa View Post
    etc, etc... Do a search for "historical unicorns". Yes, non-bearded unicorns appear, but the fact is, bearded (and often small, goat-like) unicorns are historically accurate as far as folklore goes. (If your knowledge of European folklore goes back further than "My Little Pony" anyway...)
    I'll have you know that my knowledge of Euorpean folklore goes all the way back to the original My Little Pony from the '80s!

I don't have a problem with the one unicorn having a beard.

I do have a problem with the unicorn having a beard that looks like it was purchased at Hot Topic and then attached with velcro.
    No one in the world ever gets what they want
    And that is beautiful
    Everybody dies frustrated and sad
    And that is beautiful

Quote Originally Posted by HungarianRhapsody View Post
    I do have a problem with the unicorn having a beard that looks like it was purchased at Hot Topic and then attached with velcro.
    I guess the black unicorn is not quite as goth as it thinks it is then... Time to rename it "baby bat" unicorn.

Quote Originally Posted by Alrik_Fassbauer View Post

2. The "goatee beard" of the Unicorns is in line with some descriptions and pictures of them, but not with most modern fantasy art. The Expansion poster does not show the Unicorn with such a goatee beard, either.

Personlly, I'd like to see it changed rather towards the poster, because that is what the common look of most fantasy Unicorns in the media is like.
    From D&D 3.5 Monster Manual: "A unicorn has deep sea-blue, violet, brown, or fiery gold eyes. Males sport a white beard." I guess the mounts are all male

That said, I don't care for how it curls under and would also prefer something more natural looking...

Dennis the Peasant: Listen. Strange women lying in ponds distributing swords is no basis for a system of government. Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony.

...I wish the unicorn mount was a bit less custard-blonde. A gold sheen on white would look better imho

Beard does not look great but I mean... Unicorns got beards yo.

Black ones I've seen look great though.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vargouille View Post
    The best of the best DDO players generally overperform when given a real challenge
    Quote Originally Posted by Amundir View Post
    My words are great. Even out of context.

Coming soon to the DDO Store-Cosmetic Grooming Kits!

Shave your cosmetic OR add hair to your cosmetic!

Bald cat/dog/spider, sure why not!

Beholder with a mohawk, you got it!