Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Default Most irritating precision jumping quest

There are a number of quests in the game that employ what I call precision jumping. An example is the furnace rooms in The Pit dungeon. What is your most irritating precision jumping quest? I vote for the end room of Dreams of Insanity. Not only is the highest level rune very difficult to get to, but there are respawning Beholders and Tharaak Hounds down on the floor.
    Snarly Dwarf Chick With A Great Axe

Quote Originally Posted by Bonulino View Post
    There are a number of quests in the game that employ what I call precision jumping. An example is the furnace rooms in The Pit dungeon. What is your most irritating precision jumping quest? I vote for the end room of Dreams of Insanity. Not only is the highest level rune very difficult to get to, but there are respawning Beholders and Tharaak Hounds down on the floor.
    For me personally, it isn't even close.

Temple of the Deathwrm is by far the most annoying jump.

It isn't possible really for some builds to make it and it was common to just go ahead and die and let someone carry your soul stone across. I don't know if that is still true because I decided it wasn't for me and haven't played it in years.

As far as I am concerned it is one of the worst design decision I have ever encountered in a video game period, not just DDO. "Let's add something that is required and at the same time impossible for some."

I know, some of you think it is great. Probably the ones that always run jumpy classes and never have any problem and can't understand what the issue is. But for me personally, I hate it so much I simply do not run that quest ever.

Quote Originally Posted by TedSandyman View Post
    "Let's add something that is required and at the same time impossible for some."
    Worth noting: the jump puzzle in Deathwyrm is never mandatory - we intentionally made sure that there are always two routes open in that phase, so that parties that never want to do the jumping puzzle are never required to in order to complete the raid.
    We don't only build for the builds that exist.
    We don't only build for the builds that are good right now.

The fact that some changes are necessary is not diminished by the fact that other necessary changes have not happened yet.

Community Member

Anything involving moving platforms is pure trash..Newcommers and path to Magma must flow come to mind first

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Lupito View Post
    Anything involving moving platforms is pure trash..Newcommers and path to Magma must flow come to mind first
    Agreed, and jets.
    These would be just fine in a singleplayer offline game, but moving platforms and jets are really affected by lag.

I call these "Nintendo" dungeons. If I wanted to play super mario I would have got myself a console.

I detest these with unbridled passion. There are only maybe one or two I will do per life. All the others are sat on my "never play again" list. The Pit is on there as well as Spies in the House amongst many others.

I get the occasional need to puddle jump and crevasse jump etc but convoluted pixel perfect, timed jump nonsense on usually lagged out servers is just not cricket.

If in future dungeons, these can either 1. Be avoided or 2. Players can find ways around the nintendo sections that would help.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Amorais View Post
    I call these "Nintendo" dungeons. If I wanted to play super mario I would have got myself a console.

I detest these with unbridled passion. There are only maybe one or two I will do per life. All the others are sat on my "never play again" list. The Pit is on there as well as Spies in the House amongst many others.

I get the occasional need to puddle jump and crevasse jump etc but convoluted pixel perfect, timed jump nonsense on usually lagged out servers is just not cricket.

If in future dungeons, these can either 1. Be avoided or 2. Players can find ways around the nintendo sections that would help.
    The Pit is probably the single greatest dungeon ever created in this game, and one of my personal favorites.

Community Member

An item desperately needs to be added to the game. A rope.
    See you can bypass pretty much any jumping puzzle with a soulstone carry, but that is annoying and immersion breaking. Give us a rope, or put a lever next to the top of every jumping puzzle that drops a rope ladder.

The Hatchery
    2015 DDO Players Council

Quote Originally Posted by Steelstar View Post
    Worth noting: the jump puzzle in Deathwyrm is never mandatory - we intentionally made sure that there are always two routes open in that phase, so that parties that never want to do the jumping puzzle are never required to in order to complete the raid.
    However, that's still the most common one to take... the "party" (really the leader) might want to, but that doesn't mean *I* do lol I'm gonna go dance in a beam 'til I'm dead thanks.
    "Ignorance killed the cat, sir; curiosity was framed."
    Tripoint, C.J. Cherryh

I wouldn't mind any of them if lag were not an issue.

Community Member

The jumping mechanic in DDO is really imprecise. Any time there is lag it's just horrific. I find House D "Spies in the House" to be particularly annoying.

If you like jumping in your MMO I highly recommend Guildwars 2. It has hours and hours of really challenging fun jumping puzzles and the game input/graphics are actually decently responsive.

Community Member

I gotta agree. If I wanted to do platforms, I wouldn't be playing a game where I'm constantly at 150ms and with some packet loss. I don't live in America, and apparently not even people situated in America can make a single jump without rubberbanding back to the ground 3 times. So, yeah, I don't like platforming in this game. Please don't make that mandatory in any more quests. Thank you very much.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Lupito View Post
    I think you mean to get to magma must flow. The quest itself is really not a jumpy type quest. But the platform to get it is GD annoying.

Quote Originally Posted by FlavoredSoul View Post
    The Pit is probably the single greatest dungeon ever created in this game, and one of my personal favorites.
    Mine too. It's a point of pride to run it every life. Fun fact: there are a number of areas in the pit that can be simply avoided by jumping to other areas or sprinting over the gap. With sprint boost and house P jump buff you can cut furnace 1 and 2 in less than half the time.

My most hated one is coal chamber not because it has difficult jumps but because of all the 'ceilings' and 'invisible blocks' that an errant jump can send you flying sideways
    Last edited by kmoustakas; 10-26-2020 at 02:56 AM.
    Social justice w...arlock in Sarlona, leader of Scourge of Xaos.
    OkarisRage, Barbarian doing racial past lives
    Okarinios Orgismenos: Hardcore Occult meatbag

Ultimate Completionist
    2014 DDO Players Council
    Open Guild for All Founder - Hardcore

Quote Originally Posted by Steelstar View Post
    No, since the jump is impossible for certain players (be glad to prove it if wish to discuss), you have made one of the three choices closed, leaving one/closed; one/one or one/closed.

Its a long raid, why make it more frustrating?

All you have to do is remove 1 single brick to fix that jump room.
    I made it very clear players with certain computer equipment can never make that jump.
    It is the very last jump that is impossible for some players.

Or, you could have a few players reach the top and click a portal opening as found in the Archon chain.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dmitrythewizzy View Post
    The jumping mechanic in DDO is really imprecise. Any time there is lag it's just horrific. I find House D "Spies in the House" to be particularly annoying.

If you like jumping in your MMO I highly recommend Guildwars 2. It has hours and hours of really challenging fun jumping puzzles and the game input/graphics are actually decently responsive.
    It's all because character location in DDO is renewed by the server-side, not by the client-side which is most game's behavior - like GW2.

GW2 (and other MMO): Server takes the movement and location of your character from your game client.
    DDO: the Server "fixes" your character location at your client.

When you see your character teleporting (from air jet, ladder, falling and something else), it means the server is trying to fix your client.
    Also, if you know this mechanism well, moving over traps will be easier. You need to cross traps when they are not working in the server-side(so, it's the reason why you don't hit while traps work visually) and need to move your character based on server-side.

BTW, DDO's way isn't bad always. Because that way makes people difficult to make a hack for the game. Even if you cheat your game client, DDO server will fix it. but other games can't. Though it makes some bad user experience because of the ping...
    Last edited by Targal; 10-26-2020 at 03:45 AM.
    Ghallanda Server
    Dragant, Palescale, Glimmerspell, Scalefavor
    Officer of DDO Korea Unlimited

I nominate "Smash and Burn" as the worst and the most irrititating.

The quest 'The Newcomers' wouldn't be as bad if there was an option with a lever to lower ladders once you'd completed the moving platform jumps. Even so if you have the slightest bit of lag or mistiming you're likely to fall down and have to repeat. It's rare that I don't have to take half a dozen attempts at those platforms. It's mostly bad design regarding those platforms.

I mostly solo 'The Pit' so the jumps can be tricky especially the air jet manoeuvre. Although in general it's because of the lighting and that fact you are typically "under attack" while jumping. That makes the; concentrating on the jumping exercise, much harder.

With the 'Dreams of Insanity' at least one of the runes in the rafters is a rather hard to reach without slipping. The respawning of the monsters tends to happen if you fall and land by the portal.

For 'Spies in the House' on the whole it's riding the air jets and weird camera angles that make it hit-and-miss rather than the standard jumps.

I'm not fond of the pillar jumping in 'Creeping Death' either; I suspect that's mostly because of the camera angles.

I know some people have problems with heroic 'Prove Your Worth' and its Agility Trial ladders. Although I find that easy and it's extremely rare I'll slip.

The 'Smash and Burn' jumps in the forgewraith Cogs area are relatively simple, but on my monitor the room seems rather dark in the shadows and that is what complicates jumps. If it were a well lit dungeon room I'd be able to judge distance better and slip far less. Although 'Dice puzzles' tend to be fussy at times when trying to land on the correct column face.
    Last edited by DYWYPI; 10-26-2020 at 06:20 AM. Reason: Kangaroo.

Rainbow in the dark jump across pillars with pit of spikes. Everybody else part from me has no problem though. I must be gash.

Hero
    ([ ]'.')>-{===> <( ;..; <)

I enjoy jumping puzzles, they're a great feature in games like Guild Wars 2. Unfortunately DDO has a severe lagspike whenever you jump which turns a fun feature into a frustrating one.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast