Community Member

Default Search Skill for Invatitation to Dinner?

I have done Invitation to Dinner plenty of times but I have never run into this problem. I was playing a character whose search was only around 57 . I needed to go to treasury and at the fire brazier where the secret door is, never showed up when I searched for it. When i look on wiki to see if there is another way to the treasury room and I see there is none, you need to be able to spot a secret wall.
    I dont think I recall any other quest I have done that requires you need a skill to complete the quest. If this is the case then it should be addressed because not everyone is going to have a high search skill.
    Anyone run into this problem>?

Possible bug? Im not sure , but I ended up buying one of those 30 point branches that shows secret doors for 5 minutes.. I shouldnt have to do that.
    Last edited by cmecu; 10-18-2020 at 07:42 AM.

Is it available in that quest? I don't recall ever going and looking for it then. The objective is in "Raven at the Door." I will have to go visit Count Strahd today to see if it is there.

Yep, just checked but unfortunately I do not know the spot required. Mine is over that, and I have True Seeing. I also see you did find it with secret door detection. Sorry for the misdirect.
    Last edited by Melkazar; 10-18-2020 at 09:13 AM.
    What do you mean a -6 armor class is no good anymore?

Baldric, Mulray, Tirimon, Clant, Melkazar, Dorakeen, Blastium
    If one of them falls off a cliff, it ain't their fault.

Quote Originally Posted by cmecu View Post
    I have done Invitation to Dinner plenty of times but I have never run into this problem. I was playing a character whose search was only around 57 . I needed to go to treasury and at the fire brazier where the secret door is, never showed up when I searched for it. When i look on wiki to see if there is another way to the treasury room and I see there is none, you need to be able to spot a secret wall.
    I dont think I recall any other quest I have done that requires you need a skill to complete the quest. If this is the case then it should be addressed because not everyone is going to have a high search skill.
    Anyone run into this problem>?

Possible bug? Im not sure , but I ended up buying one of those 30 point branches that shows secret doors for 5 minutes.. I shouldnt have to do that.
    Going from memory here, but I thought the secret door became much easier to spot after you found and talked to ezmerelda or the friend or whatever?

My machine won't run Ravenloft or I'd have probably recorded those DCs. If it was the Heroic version of 'Invitation to Dinner' I doubt you'd need a Search of 57 for a compulsory Secret Door. Therefore I'll assume you meant the Epic version or the door is scripted.

The F2P quest 'The Church and the Cult' is about the only quest I can think of at the moment. That requires you to perform an actual [Search] skill check for a mandatory Secret door; Search DC of 10 on Elite.

Community Member

This was Reaper 1 Invitation to Dinner. I was very surprised the 23 rogue hireling didnt find it, because it was never a high DC for the door. I thought it was supposed to be like maybe one in the Korthos Beginning quest on island.. I thought you search some where and it was a no fail secret door.

I was thinking it was a bug at first because I couldnt find it, my rogue hireling couldnt, but I bought that branch for 30 ddo points that gives you a buff for 5 minutes to see hidden doors. It showed up when I used that.
    Atfer I finished the quest I did it again, this time on Epic Elite and the door showed up fine for me with a 57 search. Maybe it was a bug? If it wasnt, that secret door needs to be a no fail because it is required to be opened if you go to treasury on 3rd floor.

Community Member

There's another entrance to the brazier room

EDIT: From the wiki:
    Brazier room - travel to dungeons via either Chamberlain's Office on Basement floor or the Study on 3rd floor, defeat iron golems, then south past the curtains to the balcony.
    Last edited by cru121; 10-18-2020 at 03:12 PM.

Obviously 'The Grotto' and 'The Collaborator' have mandatory Secret doors but those are purposely around [-5] Search, i.e. negative. Also there's 'The Keeper's Sanctuary', which has some Secret doors that are required but those are likely lower than Search 7 on Elite. On Hard they are no higher than 5 and likely near 2.

There might be possibly two other quests in heroics that require a Search check for hidden doors, but as I'm on Assassin I don't tend to notice and haven't memorised every quest anyway.

The DDO Developers in 2013 were fully aware of heroic mandatory "critical path" Secret doors requiring Search DCs near 9 on Elite; their reasoning [U19] was you should be able to easily get a "Search skills item". That's also why they fiddled and massively boosted the Secret door Diving Twig during [U19] https://ddowiki.com/page/Update_19_Release_Notes. There you go, the Developers at the time expected you to have such powerful Search items even if you weren't a Rogue. It wasn't until U46 Flimsy Firewood fixed the Secret door Spot scaling bug, where no Secret door had a Spot DC higher than 1, a bug that had been around for maybe seven years. I had been publicly telling people on the forums about Secret doors not likely requiring more a than a Spot DC of 1 for several years. :-)