Community Member

Default New(ish) player wanting some advice on currency

I've just hit 20 on my main character about to start doing epic destinies but my bank is turning into a complete mess. I've heard it's best to disenchant useless junk for cannith crystals which is what I've been doing. I've also been trying to keep back items that might be worth selling on either the auction house or shard exchange but it's a bit tough to know what people might want since there aren't that many listings and I don't know whether they are genuine. Is there a good way to tell what abilities or combination of abilities tend to be desirable? And how to tell what's worth selling for shards or plat?

Community Member

AFAIK you'll get a bit more plat selling items than deconstructing (which still gives some). I haven't checked the numbers recently and it does save you time to sell, but deconstruction gives essences (which can be sold) and a bit of crafting XP.

The second part of your question is...immense. Frankly, immense to the point of "unanswerable".

Every character can have up to three classes, with a few crossover exceptions between Monk and Bard/Barb. The exact level splits may not matter too much but there are a zillion combinations. You can boil it down to "melee", "ranged", "caster", etc, but hybrids care about spellpower and not DCs, a trapper can be any of those, and most can rely on any attribute.

Also consider how many different item enchantments there are. You can do the same melee/caster/ranged/etc classification but some buffs are universally needed, albeit differently prioritized. Is a + insightful Fortification, + spellpower item helpful? It depends on the slot; Ravenloft and Sharn always include armor, so this would be worthless on armor. Bracers are less common for these set bonuses, so it might be helpful on bracers.

The only things I can immediately say make items worthwhile are:
    - Augment slots, especially multiple. Somebody might buy one of these items, disjunct it, and craft it themselves
    - Attribute + same insightful attribute. +Con / +Ins Con might be the best because it can be hard to slot / prioritize before cap and because it's valued by most builds

Hey Rakuku,
    you are not the first who is asking this. Maybe this thread from last year can help you out:
    https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthrea...to-Sell-for-AS

Cheers,
    Titus
    Beste, Titus. | playing since 2009 | Don't do the fun wrong | New to Orien? Join the ingame Titan Channel | Soko Irrlicht freut sich immer über neue Mitglieder | Deutscher Discord | Orien Raiding Discord Toons: Titusovid , Bruder, Upload, Zzed, (Rubbel)

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Discpsycho View Post
    AFAIK you'll get a bit more plat selling items than deconstructing (which still gives some). I haven't checked the numbers recently and it does save you time to sell, but deconstruction gives essences (which can be sold) and a bit of crafting XP.

The second part of your question is...immense. Frankly, immense to the point of "unanswerable".
    Thanks for the response, sorry I dropped a bit of a bomb there. To clarify though does this mean cannith essences are no longer a hotly desired currency next to platinum? The forum post I read (from a long time ago) suggested selling the cannith essences on the AH would get me vastly more currency than I would have by selling the items to merchants. Certainly on my server people are trying to sell cannith essences for huge amounts of plat, but that doesn't mean anyone is buying them.

As far as the second question goes is there something I can do? Is it good to speculatively put a bunch of items I suspect might be decent on the AH, just keep bagging them on more and more bank alts until I get a feel for the game or stop worrying about it and put everything through the grinder that doesn't have those few easy to spot attribute combos?

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by TitusOvid View Post
    Hey Rakuku,
    you are not the first who is asking this. Maybe this thread from last year can help you out:
    https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthrea...to-Sell-for-AS

Cheers,
    Titus
    That's great, I missed that one looking myself. Should be very useful for finding out what's worth shards.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Rakuku View Post
    Thanks for the response, sorry I dropped a bit of a bomb there. To clarify though does this mean cannith essences are no longer a hotly desired currency next to platinum? The forum post I read (from a long time ago) suggested selling the cannith essences on the AH would get me vastly more currency than I would have by selling the items to merchants. Certainly on my server people are trying to sell cannith essences for huge amounts of plat, but that doesn't mean anyone is buying them.

As far as the second question goes is there something I can do? Is it good to speculatively put a bunch of items I suspect might be decent on the AH, just keep bagging them on more and more bank alts until I get a feel for the game or stop worrying about it and put everything through the grinder that doesn't have those few easy to spot attribute combos?
    Hi,

1st up before you start selling essences I would ask yourself if you are intending to craft at any point in the future. If so I highly recommend keeping hold of them as you will need quite a few thousand of the blighters to get to any where near a decent crafting level. I highly recommend going the crafting route if you are intending to play long term as the items you can make will as a general rule be significantly better than all but the best random drops.

As for items a lot will depend on how many newer players are on your server. Most long term vets will already have gear sets stashed away for certain level breaks so will be looking to buy very few items from the AH. As stated in previous posts though items with augment slots can and do still sell fairly frequently for those that craft (especially those with multiple augment slots) so I would look at those as items of value and decon the rest.

As a last tip if you are not intending to craft at any point I would suggest selling collectibles (these are needed for crafting actual item effects). These can be worth a lot of plat and in some of the harder to get cases quite a lot in AS too. The low level ones can be especially hard to collect in significant amounts as most players out level the content they drop in very quickly.