Community Member

Lightbulb Summons/pets/hirelings are really disappointing

This has been the biggest disappointment for me as a new player. I don't want to seem like I'm whining, but gosh is it disappointing, enough to make me write a feedback thread about it.

I can work around the poor pet/hireling AI most of the time, but the huge lack of hirelings that exist at higher levels(especially in diversity in terms of class), and the lack of scaling for summons & hirelings at epic/legendary levels is just disappointing.
    Hirelings not being a full replacement for a real person is fine, but they're basically paper at epic levels with how fast they die, and outside of the cleric/fvs (and sometimes rogue) they're nearly useless.

Maybe I'm missing something but I went from "Wow, Byron is awesome!" a few weeks ago to basically not even using hirelings beyond the first few levels because they're a waste of time. With how much fun I'm having with the rest of DDO, this really stood out as the biggest feature that disappointed me the most.

You're not missing something, unfortunately. This has been an oft complained about aspect of DDO for a very long time.
    “Too much of anything is bad, but too much good whiskey is barely enough.” ~ Mark Twain

Community Member

Just found out the "Customize AI" panel doesn't work at all, at least for hirelings.

Summons kinda works with a LOT of investment, 3 Druid Past Lives, 2~3 Feats, and Several AP.

They can make nice meat shields, distractions, and pocket healers (even though wands-pots-scrolls work almost as well).

Now comparing the investment and the return (ROI), you are better off not doing it, unless you solo quite a bit and don't intend on soloing reaper.

Community Member

There comes a point while leveling where hirelings are just a 1-up token. You park them at the entrance to a quest and summon them when you need a res. Anything shy of that and they're just a liability.

hopefully they get buffed at some point

Community Member

I notice that a lot of the damage my hirelings/pets take is from them standing right on top of me, caster hirelings especially so. Having ranged hirelings follow at a longer distance would probably help.

Community Member

Hires weren't made for current content, and I think to make them work halfway decently, they needed some big overhaul. Mostly technically, as it would make it easier for future updates.

We recently got a whole overhaul of the random loot system, and my idea would be to tie hirelings up with that. System reads hire with random gear of that level should have spellpower x, so hire has a bonus to spellpower x. Things like that.

Pets need some more love, especially as they only have two item slots. Balancing them is a pain though, but for me it'd be enough if they scale by difficulty like dungeon monsters, and get the same reaper enhancements as you, tbh.

I would love too see a system closer to Diablo 2, you buy a henchman at a given level.

They level with you, have a basic enhancement tree and some equipment slots.

Now if there was ever a way to bring Golemancy into DDO, it could be an incredible addition.

Here is a video I did before Filigrees showing a near perfectly buffed arti dog.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0dIp...ature=youtu.be

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by rabidfox View Post
    There comes a point while leveling where hirelings are just a 1-up token. You park them at the entrance to a quest and summon them when you need a res. Anything shy of that and they're just a liability.
    Not entirely true. In situations where you can dominate the aggro and there is limited splash damage they can be quite useful. Just don't expect them to be effective following you around.

Examples:

High HP bosses: You killed the trash and only the boss remains. He's got a hundreds of thousands of hp or more. summon your hire and park him. Then move so the boss in between you and the hire. Assuming the boss doesn't have some sort of "reset aggro" mechanic your hire should be fine.

Bring the fight to them: You know a big fight is coming. You summon your hire and park them a fair distance from where the fight will be. You go ahead and start the fight. After doing some damage you retreat back to where the hire is. The enemy follows but by this time they are all aggroed on you.

Community Member Retired_Old_Gamer's Avatar
    Everfull Flagon w/ my Eternal Mug of Mead

Yup,

However, in defense of lvl 8 Flare hireling, he actually took down the Living Pool in ToEE pt1 solo. I put him on attack mode, I died but didn't release and witnessed history in the making.