Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Default U47 Preview 2: New Race: Shifter

Description
    Shifters are a basic Eberron race with notable Lycanthropic ancestry. They cannot transform entirely into animals, but can shift parts of their bodies to be animal-like for short periods of time. In DDO, this Shifting has similarities (and statistical connections to) Raging.
    • What are Shifters meant to be good at?: Depending on your subrace selection, they could excel at Defense/Tanking or WIS-based casting.
    • Stats: +2 Dexterity, -2 Intelligence
    • Autogranted Feat: Dismiss Rage
    • 1st Level Racial Feat: Subrace Selector. (Like Aasimar, Shifters select their subrace at level 1, which grants them some specific bonuses and informs which selections they can make in their tree).
      • Beasthide Shifter: Passive: +1 CON. Active: Activate this Shifter ability to shift your form, granting you a +4 Rage bonus to Armor Class and Constitution, a +2 Morale bonus to Fortitude saves, and a -2 penalty to Wisdom. When the form ends, however, you will lose the hit points granted to you by increased Constitution and become fatigued. Your form will last for 30 seconds plus an additional amount of time based on your Constitution. You can prematurely end your form by using the Dismiss Rage feat. This shares charges with Barbarian's Rage feat, and anything that grants bonuses while Raging will grant bonuses with this. Shifting your form in this way prevents Spellcasting.
      • Wildhunt Shifter: Passive: +1 WIS. Activate this Shifter ability to shift your form, granting you a +4 Rage bonus to Wisdom and Dexterity, a +2 Morale bonus to Will saves, and a -2 penalty to Strength. When the form ends, however, you will become fatigued. Your form will last for 30 seconds plus an additional amount of time based on your Wisdom. You can prematurely end your form by using the Dismiss Rage feat. This shares charges with Barbarian's Rage feat, and anything that grants bonuses while Raging will grant bonuses with this. Shifting your form in this way prevents Spellcasting.
    • Past Life: Not featured in this preview.

How to Access
    You can access the Shifter Heroic Eberron Race on the Preview server by speaking to Lord Poincelot in the center of the Test Dojo and then purchasing it in the Lamannia DDO Store. Note: Clicking get now on the race selection screen will not find Shifters in the store, however, clicking Get Now on the final screen of character creation will. Alternatively, if you search the store manually you can find the shifter race.

Enhancements
    • Cores
      1. Extra Shifting +1 Rage uses per rest. (You expend Rage uses to activate your Shifting).
      2. Ability Score Multiselector
        • Constitution +1 Constitution
        • Dexterity +1 Dexterity
        • Strength +1 Strength
        • Wisdom +1 Wisdom
      3. Extra Shifting +2 Rage uses per rest.
      4. Ability Score Multiselector
        • Constitution +1 Constitution
        • Dexterity +1 Dexterity
        • Strength +1 Strength
        • Wisdom +1 Wisdom
      5. Regenerating Shift You Regenerate 1 Rage use every 90 seconds.
    • Tier 1
      • Brute Fighting Multiselector
        • Brutal Spellcasting While toggled on, your damaging spells generate 25/50/75% more hate than they normally would, making enemies more likely to at
        • Brutal Fighting While toggled on, your melee attacks to generate 25/50/75% more hate than they normally would, making enemies more likely to attack you.
      • Hunt & Track +1/2/3 Spot, Listen, and Intimidate
      • Extend Shifting Your Shifting and Barbarian rages last 25/50/75% longer.
      • Hardy Shifting +1/2/3 Constitution while Shifting or Raging.
    • Tier 2
      • Shifted Alterations Choice determined by your subrace
        • Shifted Defenses Requires: Beasthide Shifter. +4 Physical Resistance Rating while Raging.
        • Shifted Senses Requires Wildhunt Shifter. +3 to Spot and +2% Dodge while Raging.
      • Natural Armor +2/4/6 to Natural Armor
      • Howl Choice determined by your subrace
        • Howl Requires: Beasthide Shifter. Release a mighty howl, granting nearby allies +2 Action Boost Bonus to PRR and MRR per 5 Character Levels you have for 20 seconds. You can use this once per Rest.
        • Howl Requires Wildhunt Shifter. Release a mighty howl, granting nearby allies +1 Action Boost Bonus to Saving Throws per 10 Character Levels you have for 20 seconds. You can use this once per Rest.
      • Extra Howling +1/2/3 use of Howl per rest
      • Magic Fang Spell Like Ability. Spell Points: 10/8/5. Cooldown: 20/15/10 Seconds. Increases the Enhancement Bonus of the target's natural weapon by 1, plus 1 per five caster levels. An item can have only one temporary item enchantment at a time. Only works on players, hirelings, or pets, and only if they are Animals, Vermin, Magical Beasts, Dragons, or Fey. Equipping a new weapon cancels the effect.
    • Tier 3
      • Empowered by Nature Choice determined by your subrace
        • Empowered by Nature Requires: Beasthide Shifter. +10 Positive Healing Amplification
        • Empowered by Nature Requires Wildhunt Shifter. +25 Maximum Spell Points. You can now cast while Raging.
      • Augment Summoning Grants the Augment Summoning feat: Your summoned creatures, charmed minions, pets, and hirelings have +4 to all ability scores, increased health, and increased fortification.
      • Stronger Howl Choice determined by your subrace
        • Stronger Howl Requires: Beasthide Shifter. When you Howl, nearby enemies take -2 to Attack per 5 Character Levels you have for 20 seconds.
        • Empowered by Nature Requires Wildhunt Shifter. When you Howl, nearby enemies take -1 to Saving Throws per 5 Character Levels you have for 20 seconds.
      • Favored Enemy Feat Multiselector
        • Animal
        • Fey
        • Magical Beast
        • Plant
        • Reptilian
        • Vermin
    • Tier 4
      • Threatening Shift Choice determined by your subrace
        • Threatening Shift Requires: Beasthide Shifter. While raging, +20% to Threat Generation and +5% Quality Bonus to Maximum Hit Points
        • Camouflaged Shift Requires Wildhunt Shifter. While raging, gain Lesser Displacement and +3% Dodge Cap
      • True Hunter You gain Freedom of Movement, +2 to Saves vs. Enchantments and Illusions, immunity to Petrification, and +10 to Spot.
      • Howl of Terror Spell Like Ability. Spell Points: 45/40/30. Cooldown: 20/15/10 Seconds. You utter a terrifying howl, filling your foes with a paralyzing fear. Foes around you are paralyzed for 6 to 24 seconds. Will save negates.

Currently Known Bugs
    • Neither male nor female shifters have had an animation polish pass yet. There are numerous small animation issues. Let us know what you find, though, as a list of individual issues is helpful.
    • Character Generation text is all currently placeholder (copied from tiefling)
    • Clicking get now on the race selection screen will not find Shifters in the store, however, clicking Get Now on the final screen of character creation will. Alternatively, if you search the store manually you can find the shifter race.
    • Shifters don't yet correctly count as Humanoid Animals and so certain effects that only apply to humanoids will not apply to them in this preview. (Such as Hold Person)
    Tell me about any and all bugs you encounter by clicking here!

NOTE: Submitting a bug in this manner is not a quick fix for past occurrences; it is instead a means of bringing issues to our attention to prevent future occurrences for both you and others. Providing detailed information, especially specifics about your account and character as well as what steps you took leading up to the issue, are critical to us being able to pinpoint the cause of any problems you have encountered.

Default Post Reserved

Post Reserved for changes mid preview
    Tell me about any and all bugs you encounter by clicking here!

NOTE: Submitting a bug in this manner is not a quick fix for past occurrences; it is instead a means of bringing issues to our attention to prevent future occurrences for both you and others. Providing detailed information, especially specifics about your account and character as well as what steps you took leading up to the issue, are critical to us being able to pinpoint the cause of any problems you have encountered.

Do they count as animals? (otherwise magic fang doesnt make any sense)

Pretty weird that wisdom shifter need a tier3 to cast spell, when that's exactly what they are supposed to do. It's too up in the tree in my opinion for that

Also this: True Hunter You gain Freedom of Movement, +2 to Saves vs. Enchantments and Illusions, immunity to Petrification, and +10 to Spot.
    is way too good in my opinion, FoM and pretrification immunity (and ED tier5 ability)

Quote Originally Posted by Malex View Post
    Do they count as animals? (otherwise magic fang doesnt make any sense)
    They do! It's not working consistently in this Lamannia build, but will be in the next one.
    We don't only build for the builds that exist.
    We don't only build for the builds that are good right now.

The fact that some changes are necessary is not diminished by the fact that other necessary changes have not happened yet.

The Howl of Terror tier 4 SLA on Shifter does not say what the save DC is based on. This needs to be fixed.

All of the multiselectors have the Beasthide option first except Threatening Shift.

Community Member SpartanKiller13's Avatar

+4 Rage bonus to AC is, frankly, weak; 5% Quality HP isn't very impressive, so why would anyone go Beasthide? 2 PRR/MRR party action boost isn't exactly impressive, and even at cap 12 PRR/MRR isn't a huge amount (especially given 20s duration, max 4 uses?). Could this be bumped up to 1/level, or even 4/5? Adding 24-30 PRR/MRR as a party action boost would be pretty nice to have.

So the design intent is for Wis-based DC casters (via Destruction domain or T4), non-Monk Falconry melee builds, and epic Barbarians who need more rages for Blood Feast? That's a pretty narrow niche to aim an entire race at. I'll take +7 Wis for DC casters though lol, not like Cleric has trouble finding spare AP.

Edit: or if it procs Blood Feast, it'll be good for a lot more builds lol. Not sure that's a good idea balance-wise though.
    Last edited by SpartanKiller13; 08-26-2020 at 11:45 AM.
    -Khysiria of Cannith
    Quote Originally Posted by zehnvhex View Post
    Warlock is basically a ghetto Shiradi Sorc. You gives up some of the damage and self sustain for the ability to just hold down left click and yolo blast your way to victory.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lynnabel View Post
    It's DDO. There are probably 6 different types of Evil damage.

When I take the first Extra Shifting core ability on my druid 20 shifter, I go instantly from 5 uses of Rage of the beast to 13. I'm not sure how +1 rage use became +8 rage uses, but that doesn't seem right.

Quote Originally Posted by PsychoBlonde View Post
    When I take the first Extra Shifting core ability on my druid 20 shifter, I go instantly from 5 uses of Rage of the beast to 13. I'm not sure how +1 rage use became +8 rage uses, but that doesn't seem right.
    Are you a bear druid? You are supposed to share rages and maybe it didn't update it?

Magic fang is a strange SLA to have three tiers with reduced sp cost and cooldown. There's no way additional tiers are worth AP, so you're just stuck with a kind of annoyingly long cooldown if you're buffing more than one character/pet. I'd make it one tier with the t1 sp cost and t3 cooldown.

Quote Originally Posted by Cocomajobo View Post
    Description[*][*]Howl Choice determined by your subrace
    • Howl Requires: Beasthide Shifter. Release a mighty howl, granting nearby allies +2 Action Boost Bonus to PRR and MRR per 5 Character Levels you have for 20 seconds. You can use this once per Rest.
    • Howl Requires Wildhunt Shifter. Release a mighty howl, granting nearby allies +1 Action Boost Bonus to Saving Throws per 10 Character Levels you have for 20 seconds. You can use this once per Rest.
    [*][*]Extra Howling +1/2/3 use of Howl per rest

Requires Wildhunt Shifter. When you Howl, nearby enemies take -1 to Saving Throws per 5 Character Levels you have for 20 seconds.[/LIST]
    [/LIST]
    This all seems really weak. So a max of 4 charges for a minor defensive action boost and debuff? For 5 AP? Am I missing something?

Community Member ShifterThePirate's Avatar

"Natural Armor +2/4/6 to Natural Armor"

If that works the same as the Druid one it's pretty useless since it doesn't stack with Natural Armor items...

Quote Originally Posted by ShifterThePirate View Post

If that works the same as the Druid one it's pretty useless since it doesn't stack with Natural Armor items...
    No, it stacks.

Not sure why Druid's was built not to, I'll ping the associated dev and figure out if we need to update the typing or the tooltip. (Functionally, Druid is providing a "Natural Armor Bonus to Natural Armor".)
    Last edited by Steelstar; 08-26-2020 at 12:58 PM.
    We don't only build for the builds that exist.
    We don't only build for the builds that are good right now.

The fact that some changes are necessary is not diminished by the fact that other necessary changes have not happened yet.

Quote Originally Posted by ShifterThePirate View Post

Yes, please fix this (and the druid one) to stack with Natural Armor items and the Barkskin spell.
    Quote Originally Posted by Teh_Troll View Post
    We are no more d000m'd then we were a week ago. Note - This was posted in 10/2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Eth View Post
    When you stop caring about xp/min this game becomes really fun. Trust me.
    Quote Originally Posted by TedSandyman View Post
    Some people brag about how fast they finished the game. I cant think of a stupider thing to brag about. Or in this game, going from level 1 to level 30 in two days, or however long it takes. I can't even begin to imagine what drives a person to think that is fun. You are ignoring all of the content and options and going for sheer speed. It is like going to a museum and bragging about how fast you made it through. Or bragging about how fast you finished a good steak.

Community Member

If stronger howl gave a -prr debuff so the whole party got a 12% dps boost for 20 seconds you might garner a lot more interest in people using the ability. -12 attack to enemies is extremely weak.

Community Member

What does the Howl DC scale with? Does Howl's paralyzing fear count as helpless?

Community Member

Is there a timeframe on this race? I know its in preview mode, but I am about to TR having just completed my 36th racial (yay!!!). I dont want to waste a heart if this is happening soon (like days). But if this is off a few weeks, I can collect some tokens

Thanks!
    Nico

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kielbasa View Post
    If stronger howl gave a -prr debuff so the whole party got a 12% dps boost for 20 seconds you might garner a lot more interest in people using the ability. -12 attack to enemies is extremely weak.
    -12 PRR would be really strong. -12 attack is significant for fights where the tank might not be able to handle all the incoming damage (r10 boss encounters mostly), but does it in a probabilistic way. Not sure what the solution is. Maybe make it -12 melee and ranged power to enemies?

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Nickodeamous View Post
    Is there a timeframe on this race?
    Given that they said they plan to do another preview before launch, I'd say at least a couple weeks out.

Community Member

Does the +1 saves per 10 character levels version of Howl do nothing at levels 1-9? Could you add +1, or just make it do +1 at level 9 and below? (As in, "+1 per 10 levels, minimum of 1.")

While, I’m sure there are those that will meet a new release with excitement, most will be thinking “why” when (insert your gripe here) has yet to be addressed. Mind you, I’m not trying to be negative, just stating my first impression / thoughts on whats likely to be just another flavor race.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast