Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Why no snakes?

There are no children either....not one.
    Stormreach = zero children

lions are always female
    all of them

Quote Originally Posted by fatherpirate View Post
    lions are always female
    all of them
    There are male lions in Vale.

Quote Originally Posted by Drunkendex View Post
    COOL, forgot those

still no children though :-)
    ...and snakes

COOL, forgot those

...and snakes
    The issue with children is having them die in a game is a big ESRB no no, especially when it's the player killing them. The other issue is they would need a completely new rig / model to work properly, and additional clothing, skin options, accessories. It's pretty easy to make a monster that only has a few variants, but if we did that with children they would be very noticeable.

These are all surmountable goals, however they are a lot of work for little potential gain. Adding a set of children to the game would be similar to adding an entirely new playable race, and they would never be able to fight or die.

Quote Originally Posted by Fants View Post
    The issue with children is having them die in a game is a big ESRB no no, especially when it's the player killing them. The other issue is they would need a completely new rig / model to work properly, and additional clothing, skin options, accessories. It's pretty easy to make a monster that only has a few variants, but if we did that with children they would be very noticeable.

These are all surmountable goals, however they are a lot of work for little potential gain. Adding a set of children to the game would be similar to adding an entirely new playable race, and they would never be able to fight or die.
    Snakes would actually be quite cool and a nice variety over bats, spiders and rats lol. I also wouldn't complain if you gave a few enemy casters the spell sticks to snakes.

Community Member Alrik_Fassbauer's Avatar

Honestly, I still fail to understand why one would want to have children in a video game.

Most modern video games are about nothing but killing, so children simply would not fit into that.
    "You are a Tiefling. And a Cleric, with the Domain of the Sun. Doesn't that contradict each other ?" "No, all my friends are playing evil. I found that so boring that I decided to be on the good side. And, besides, Sun and Fire, where is the difference, really ?"

There are no children either....not one.
    Stormreach = zero children

lions are always female
    all of them
    And in a small problem.

Harbormaster Zin: Children! They've stooped to taking CHILDREN now!
    Guard Tember: The Clan Gnashtooth kobolds took my cousins, Arlos and Venn.

I was surprised when I learned they were kids, although Arlos IS rather tall....
    Ghallanda (36): Vilas, Alphon, Whelm, Thaylan, Tyclmi, Amgine, Talc, Dedlee, Payle, Darell, Talenta, Zhen, Thrane, Arrith, Durdyn, Magefyre, Necrophil, Tulgey, Borogove, Hasugi, Shawal, Hailestorm, Branthan, Lightningbug, Bettercall, Elecktric, Zardu, Zergworthy, BrotherOf, Missadventer, Bytemy, Demogeorgia, Tizen, Warrcore, Permadeaf, Fullmettle

It was the third thread that I created here, 7 years ago...https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthrea...ren?highlight=
    Wiki dashboard with some useful stealthplay links
    Proud Knight Templar of the Silver Legion, Cannith: Saekee (main; epic completionist); Parked Toons: Katwoemyn (10), Saelegion (4), Alitirala (>17), Naerfelka (>21)
    wounded and burnt from many mistakes and still stumbling!

Squirrel Enthusiast Lokeal_The_Flame's Avatar

You really need to watch the Thief Lord movie as it has a lot to offer DDO in terms of ideas that such could inspire.

Making kids NPCs doesn't mean they become killable, heck if given the option I'd kill Encore in same old song to get her to stop singing but that's not even an option. The bones of the kids in death house also eludes to what seems to be a contradiction in the philosophy you seem to be suggesting SSG to be taking.

There has been a lack of kid NPCs in DDO for so long there now would have to be an explanation for why they are missing, two options exist to change this:

1-Use Changeling lore to explain where the kids went https://www.britannica.com/art/changeling-folklore

Problem here is that D&D changeling lore differs too much.......... so that isn't reallly all that compatible.

2-Introduce a story arc inspired by The Thief Lord!

There is no real problem here, making the storyline different enough to remove any risk from it should be really easy especially with DDO's and D&D's pre-existing lore that you have to work with.

Examples:

1-Ilmater could be protecting children in the Forgotten Realms

2-Have the Traveler be used as to explain where the children are, have said deity be a sort of leader to the Thief Lord type group of children.

See lore here as it could work very well: https://eberron.fandom.com/wiki/The_Traveler

Maybe the Traveler is protecting children as the children were offered up as followers?

You have one significant reason to add kid NPCs tp the game: Immersion

Default Child NPC

There is at least one undeniable child NPC in DDO:

Jarred Wylkes, the younger brother of Jonas Wylkes from Dream Conspiracy in the Inspired Quarter. You have to climb to the roof to speak to him and his mother but he exists.

Blood Scented Axe Body Spray (Thelanis)
    Aelonwy - Wydavir - Metaluscious - Aertimys - Aelyrra - Kaelaria - Lunaura - Aelurawynn - Saurscha - Crystalorn - Aurvaeyn - Vaelyns - Wyllowynd

giggle ---gotta say it

---- use halfling models scaled down by 20%, use 2 or 3 generic faces (young) for both boys and girls
    about 6 total face options. Keep them in the city and make them unkillable/untargetable NPCs

then your just re-purposing models you already have

PEACE

Not all male lions have manes.

Back in the day in the original Fallout 1 & 2 you had to kill 2 or 3 children to be given "childkiller" status just in case you killed the first one or two by accident. The kids used to pick your pockets and steal your stuff. One way to get even if you had a good pickpockets skill was to plant explosives in a kid's pocket and then watch them go *BOOM* and this way you also bypassed getting the child-killer status flag. I don't know if it's true or not but I have heard the controversy over this in the original Fallout roleplaying computer games were a big part in why kids are no longer killable in computer games.

Community Member

COOL, forgot those

...and snakes
    Jariliths are aesthetically male lions too

Ahhh. But the ghosts of children starved to death (Death House), or murdered by hags and baked into pies (Bonegrinder) are totes cool. The ESRB is weird like that, I guess.
    Shiz -Proud Officer of the Southern Tenant Farmers Union - Ghallanda
    Shizmonkey, Shizrhino, Shizchopper and other various Shizanimals and Shizappliances
    R.O.G.U.E. Proving Grounds Redux is now defunct. Check out Part Quatre

Quote Originally Posted by Alrik_Fassbauer View Post
    Honestly, I still fail to understand why one would want to have children in a video game.

Most modern video games are about nothing but killing, so children simply would not fit into that.
    Mainly to populate Stormreach and the odd non-combat portion of quests such as the gala in Partycrashers. Notably, Valentina in Fresh-Baked Dreams and Rose + Lily (flashbacks) in Rosemary's ballad would make more contextual sense with a child's model.

Though do not mistake me, I do not begrudge SSG for abstaining from using resources to create child npc assets.

An undisclosed location. I asked my captors but they remain tight lipped.

Quote Originally Posted by kamimitsu View Post
    Ahhh. But the ghosts of children starved to death (Death House), or murdered by hags and baked into pies (Bonegrinder) are totes cool. The ESRB is weird like that, I guess.
    That the the player doesn't inflict or witness the child's death is likely the requirement. It's grisly to consider, none-the-less; Cannibalism and the state of the soul after being made into pie and eaten...
    Sometimes I'm too clever for my own good. Bear in mind I'm probably trying to be humorous. Like dodge, it's hit or miss.// Looking for a guild on Orien? Send a tell or mail to Magnifique to join the "Fidelic Brotherhood".

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123