Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Community Member

Default Eldritch Aura Pulse Color

I'm new to the game and I don't know what the delvelopment process for it is like, but I think it would be cool if the color for Eldritch Aura matched the color theme of our patron. Although I haven't played with a patron that isn't the Abyss patron, I'd imagine other enhancement effects like consume always have a color to match the theme of the enhancement tree instead of the patron, right? Even if it's not a priority I think eventually matching them to the color of your EB would be cool.

Hi welcome to DDO!

I agree with your suggestion. That eldritch aura is one of the more hideous effects in DDO and could do with some touching up.

Community Member

The other things like consume don't change color.
    Your suggestion is a good one, the aura should change color.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Faangzzz View Post
    I'm new to the game and I don't know what the delvelopment process for it is like, but I think it would be cool if the color for Eldritch Aura matched the color theme of our patron. Although I haven't played with a patron that isn't the Abyss patron, I'd imagine other enhancement effects like consume always have a color to match the theme of the enhancement tree instead of the patron, right? Even if it's not a priority I think eventually matching them to the color of your EB would be cool.
    The color is based on the damage done...Consume and Stricken dont carry pact damage AFAIK, only Chaos, so they're Chaos colored. But yeah the aura does carry pact so that should be pact-colored too

Systems Designer

I took a look at this last night, here's where we're at:

I have a gross implementation that simply color-overrides the actual vfx depending on your pact. Downside is, the actual asset itself isn't dyemapped to yellow, it's just actually yellow, and our quick-and-hacky render color solution is additive color-wise (so colors like Purple are actually impossible given the starting asset).

The actual solution is to make several copies of this asset and hook them into place. I'll throw this over to the Art team and see if they have time (which if I am being very honest is unlikely). This is the kind of art ask that I need an actual artist to complete for me, I can't hack together on my own. If it were possible for me to cobble this together and have it not look like butts, I would, believe me :P

In case you've been wondering on a semi-related ask, there are a few problems implementation-wise and not art-wise with getting the Chain to respect your pact. Sadly, by the time DDO is making the monsters draw the chains between themselves, it has no idea what pact the player is in.
    100% radical, enthusiasm enthusiast.

Quote Originally Posted by Lynnabel View Post
    I If it were possible for me to cobble this together and have it not look like butts, I would, believe me :P
    so by that, it means cobbling it together to actually look like butts is totally possible? probably wouldnt fit aesthetically, but i'd be in favour of throwing butts at enemies
    I used to be with it, but then they changed what it was, now what's it is weird and scary to me.

I have a gross implementation that simply color-overrides the actual vfx depending on your pact. Downside is, the actual asset itself isn't dyemapped to yellow, it's just actually yellow, and our quick-and-hacky render color solution is additive color-wise (so colors like Purple are actually impossible given the starting asset).

The actual solution is to make several copies of this asset and hook them into place. I'll throw this over to the Art team and see if they have time (which if I am being very honest is unlikely). This is the kind of art ask that I need an actual artist to complete for me, I can't hack together on my own. If it were possible for me to cobble this together and have it not look like butts, I would, believe me :P
    Would it be possible to have the art team only create 1 copy - a colorless one (or basic black or white, whichever one is at your zero values) and then do the rest of them in your color-override way yourself, thus saving the precious art team time not having them create copies for each color?
    Orien - Gorrue - Life #6 - Aasimar Barbarian/Fighter Shield Basher

Systems Designer

Quote Originally Posted by gorocz View Post
    Would it be possible to have the art team only create 1 copy - a colorless one (or basic black or white, whichever one is at your zero values) and then do the rest of them in your color-override way yourself, thus saving the precious art team time not having them create copies for each color?
    Yes, that would save some time, but I'm actually pretty sure that making color variants (especially if they're making all variants at the same time) is not a lot of extra time compared to the rest of the process. Our render color stuff just doesn't look very good, so I'd rather do it right instead of spending 95% of the art time to have it look pretty terrible.

I took a look at this last night, here's where we're at:

In case you've been wondering on a semi-related ask, there are a few problems implementation-wise and not art-wise with getting the Chain to respect your pact. Sadly, by the time DDO is making the monsters draw the chains between themselves, it has no idea what pact the player is in.
    Is it possible you could give us a screenshot or gif of this as just a preview? I think a good amount of people might prefer a temporary option over what exists, if it doesn't look too awful at the moment. Though for those that like the current visual, perhaps adding a toggle feat similar to the Elemental Form visual toggles?

Community Member

Neon green for Goo or bust. I'm talking radioactive Goo here!

Systems Designer

Quote Originally Posted by Shedrakzo View Post
    Is it possible you could give us a screenshot or gif of this as just a preview? I think a good amount of people might prefer a temporary option over what exists, if it doesn't look too awful at the moment. Though for those that like the current visual, perhaps adding a toggle feat similar to the Elemental Form visual toggles?
    You asked for it :P

Here's purple. It only goes downhill from here.

Using this color override tends to destroy the details in our vfx. Not only is the color skewed by the yellow/orange base, but a lot of the fine detail and lighting is lost with this method.
    Last edited by Lynnabel; 07-02-2020 at 12:05 PM.

not sure the work involved BUT...
    If you gave the FX pattern a thin black outline along
    it's edges, it would bring back the detail.

or... instead of trying to just change the color...
    (more work coming) make completely different
    FX patterns for each major damage type

fire
    cold
    acid
    elect
    neg
    pos
    untyped

just my 2 cents worth

Using this color override tends to destroy the details in our vfx. Not only is the color skewed by the yellow/orange base, but a lot of the fine detail and lighting is lost with this method.
    Not meaning to derail, but I have img tags turned on in the forum settings but I can't this image.

Community Member

cobble this together and have it not look like butts...
    If you could make the aura look like butts bursting out from the character, that would be AMAZING! I wouldn't care what color they were!

On a more serious note, if feedback will strengthen the case for pushing color-specific auras up the priority list a few notches, I'll add my vote. I think it would markedly add to game enjoyment when playing ES.
    "I didn't change my mind, It changed all by itself" – Luna

Community Member

Am I the only one that misses the ol giant green ball death aura? Sure you couldn't see what was going on and it made precision jumping a nightmare, but ****** you KNEW when it wore off.
    My main Orien Bozos - Mozenrath, Messam, Yashamaru, Quackerjack, Koganei

[Image]

Well, that honestly looks all right as a temporary visual update. I imagine purple isn't necessary given there is no 'eldritch' pact damage type, so as long as you are able to get a functional blue, green, white, black-gray, and red, I think people won't mind. And you can use the current in-game visual for Celestial.

Systems Designer

Quote Originally Posted by Shedrakzo View Post
    Well, that honestly looks all right as a temporary visual update. I imagine purple isn't necessary given there is no 'eldritch' pact damage type, so as long as you are able to get a functional blue, green, white, black-gray, and red, I think people won't mind. And you can use the current in-game visual for Celestial.
    It's an additive color system. I can't get a good white, blue, or red - the base is yellow. Same reason a projector can't make white, the brightest color will be the color of what you're shining light on.

Community Member

I have no strong feelings about anything Warlock related but had to login just to say - it's really nice seeing you interacting and obviously caring. It contributes to positive feelings about the game in general.

I would assume the projectile still has damage type encoded in it somewhere? I can understand that the other projectiles spawned from the hit monster are devoid of a field associated with the player's pact, but the new projectiles must have (acid|cold|electric|sonic|fire|negative) associated with their damage field/generator in order to apply it, no?

Couldn't you just have the new projectiles pull from a mapping of those damage modifiers to colors? For instance, if drawing a new eldritch chain blast with acid in its damage template/field, then make it green, cold -> blue, etc. with a default of the purple?
    Quote Originally Posted by Vargouille View Post
    A new harder difficulty is likely to just be that: harder, without giving commensurate power...Ideally, at the very hardest edge of difficulty, we would not know how long it would take until all quests are completed on that difficulty.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenicis View Post
    Not meaning to derail, but I have img tags turned on in the forum settings but I can't this image.
    It's not worth seeing. It's an image of the aura in "purple" but the purple isn't very purple, the detail of the aura graphic is diminished and it's something that shouldn't exist in this video game.

Appreciate the effort here to make stuff look better though.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast