Default Hardcore Death Announcements

First let me say I LOVE seeing them, makes it really feel like people are out there risking it for the biscuit you know.

That being said is there any way to move it back to the top of the screen like previous seasons? The big yellow message in front of your face while you are trying to target some caster MoBs at the back in combat, especially when it's a TPK or even a raid wipe is VERY distracting.

Again LOVE that it's there but don't like the change in how it's displayed because it's very distracting in combat. Is there any way we could get that moved to the top?

Thanks so much.
    I wish i could press snowflakes in a book like flowers.
    Some people are like glow sticks. You just wanna snap 'em and then shake the heck out of them until the lights come on.

Community Manager

We'll be looking into this.
    Have fun, and don't forget to gather for buffs!
    Follow DDO on: Facebook Twitter Pinterest
    Join us on Twitch!
    Hello from Standing Stone Games! Facebook Twitter
    For Support: https://help.standingstonegames.com

Thanks Cordo. It's not the end of the world but it would be a nice change. It's only a matter of time before someone blames their death on them and starts a rantfest.

Also crazy to see how many lowbies are getting spanked. Those Kobold Shamans are no joke. They may remember waterworks but so do we and they earned what's coming to them! LOL
    Some people are like glow sticks. You just wanna snap 'em and then shake the heck out of them until the lights come on.

Quote Originally Posted by SiliconScout View Post

Also crazy to see how many lowbies are getting spanked. Those Kobold Shamans are no joke. They may remember waterworks but so do we and they earned what's coming to them! LOL
    Yeah, I can only presume that that's in no small part because a lot of newer players may be trying out the game now. Interesting to see how deadly things that I personally don't consider particularly difficult can be. And a nice reminder that just because something seems easy now, it doesn't mean that it is easy for a complete beginner.

Not at all surprised by the Kobold Shamans kill quota, though. Those guys are deadly if you're not prepared for them. Same with Hobgoblins, who seem to pop up as death reasons a fair bit, too. Their fortification bypass and generally high crit-rate is no joke. Memento mori.
    'twas right, said they,
    such birds to slay,
    that bring the fog and mist

Quote Originally Posted by Wylf View Post
    Yeah, I can only presume that that's in no small part because a lot of newer players may be trying out the game now. Interesting to see how deadly things that I personally don't consider particularly difficult can be. And a nice reminder that just because something seems easy now, it doesn't mean that it is easy for a complete beginner.

Not at all surprised by the Kobold Shamans kill quota, though. Those guys are deadly if you're not prepared for them. Same with Hobgoblins, who seem to pop up as death reasons a fair bit, too. Their fortification bypass and generally high crit-rate is no joke. Memento mori.
    Even if you are prepped all it takes is one forked lightning bolt and that can be lights out for most players, especially low reflex ones or if one crits. LOL.

Lost a toon because we were in a large group with hires and I never even saw the shaman in the mix. All of a sudden DING I was dead and that was WITH the 30 resist ship buffs at the time. Check the combat log and it forked and I failed both saves. I had 74 hp at the time and they did about that PER bolt that hit me. Even knocking the 30 off it was about 90 damage and I was dead as a doornail.

Was surprising and kinda funny at the time. Taught me that you take insightful reflexes at first level on an INT build in Hardcore, always. LOL
    Last edited by SiliconScout; 07-02-2020 at 01:50 PM.

Even if you are prepped all it takes is one forked lightning bolt and that can be lights out for most players, especially low reflex ones or if one crits. LOL.

Lost a toon in season one because we were in a large group with hires and I never even saw the shaman in the mix. All of a sudden DING I was dead and that was WITH the 30 resist ship buffs at the time. Check the combat log and it forked and I failed both saves. I had 74 hp at the time and they did about that PER bolt that hit me. Even knocking the 30 off it was about 90 damage and I was dead as a doornail.

Was surprising and kinda funny at the time. Taught me that you take insightful reflexes at first level on an INT build in Hardcore, always. LOL
    Yeah, group scaling can be brutal. I mostly played the game solo over the years and got a rude awakening when I decided to play with a friend for once. The increased trap DCs alone were annoying to deal with, but even with just two playes mobs hit much harder than they do when you're solo.

/edit: I suspect that might actually be a trap for newer players, too. DDO may be one of the very few games where teaming up with a single buddy doesn't actually make the game easier, but harder, because of how the scaling works.
    Last edited by Wylf; 07-01-2020 at 04:46 PM.
    'twas right, said they,
    such birds to slay,
    that bring the fog and mist

Absolutely hate it. A message in chat would be alright but I should be able to disable it from displaying anywhere else.

Community Member

+1 for get rid of the broadcast death messages. I was happy with them going to the hardcore chat channel, had it visible but it didn't block my view. When several people die at once, it's basically a denial of service attack on everyone on the server!

Community Member

Did any of you try to disable the world broadcast messages in the ui settings?

Community Member

And block broadcasts of all the other world messages that aren't spam? Like server is coming down etc?

In any case I can't seem to find what that setting would be, and guess it doesn't exist, cos they wouldn't want to stop those broadcasts being shown I would guess.
    Last edited by Tist; 07-02-2020 at 05:33 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tist View Post
    And block broadcasts of all the other world messages that aren't spam? Like server is coming down etc?

In any case I can't seem to find what that setting would be, and guess it doesn't exist, cos they wouldn't want to stop those broadcasts being shown I would guess.
    It's the same place, size and color as DM text so I would guess they are using the same mechanic. I don't know of any way to suppress that DM text myself so I would also guess you can't.

That said I don't want it to go away personally, I like it, I just don't want it dead centre in the middle of my screen. For DM text it makes more sense as it generally appears at the during a "cut scene" in the quest when you can't really do anything anyway.

In Hardcore they can happen at anytime and occasionally happen in quick succession which can be a problem if you are in the middle of a fight

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tist View Post
    And block broadcasts of all the other world messages that aren't spam? Like server is coming down etc
    Something like that has happened what, once in the last 2 years, if that? I mean a notice that the game was going down other for something scheduled.

I wish the GMs could put some sort of poll up (and somehow block out people trying to cheese with multiple accounts) to see who's fine with death announcements, who'd like the position changed, etc.

It really feels like the vast majority of people are fine with it. I'm in the biggest/busiest guild rn, death smiles, and no one's been talking about it being a bad thing. At best they would like it back to old HCL where it was red at the top of the screen.

I wish the GMs wouldn't make kneejerk changes based on like 1% of people complaining on the forums.
    My main Orien Bozos - Mozenrath, Messam, Yashamaru, Quackerjack, Koganei

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Seph1roth5 View Post
    Something like that has happened what, once in the last 2 years, if that? I mean a notice that the game was going down other for something scheduled.

I wish the GMs could put some sort of poll up (and somehow block out people trying to cheese with multiple accounts) to see who's fine with death announcements, who'd like the position changed, etc.

It really feels like the vast majority of people are fine with it. I'm in the biggest/busiest guild rn, death smiles, and no one's been talking about it being a bad thing. At best they would like it back to old HCL where it was red at the top of the screen.

I wish the GMs wouldn't make kneejerk changes based on like 1% of people complaining on the forums.
    In Death Smiles too. /shrug?

Giving people the option to turn it off, rather than forcing it back on, has to be a good thing doesn't it? Or should we all just be forced to like what you like?

I see world shutting down broadcasts all the time, because I'm not in USA timezone and I am playing when they shut the servers down for weekly and extra lag fix shutdowns. Not sure what your point was .. another "not my problem" aspect of your reply?

I'm in Open Guild For All. We are also completely full and it has come up occasionally. It's not a lot of people who are venting but there are a lot of people (myself included) who wished it was back up at the top of the screen again when it does come up. For the record I have been on and seen it discussed twice so far.

Runny is a far more popular topic to be honest and if you werent' there for it, sorry you missed it.

Community Member Riddle_of_Steel's Avatar

will just toss a "me as well" to this thread.

When it was red text at the top of the sceen that was perfect. SSG Please consider returning to that.
    DDO was my MMO of choice because it didn't require a lot of mindless grind back in the day. Now it's my MMO of choice due to inertia and apathy.
    How to Provide Actionable Feedback

Quote Originally Posted by Riddle_of_Steel View Post
    will just toss a "me as well" to this thread.

When it was red text at the top of the sceen that was perfect. SSG Please consider returning to that.
    the old position actually blocked trap notifications for me, so I prefer it where it's at.

Seems to have been banished back to the text box again.

Now I have no idea who pegged it as its hidden away

Why not just leave it where it was for the last two seasons? TBH I miss all the "RIP" messages in chat from HC1 when a level 19 keeled over. Now since you barely even see it, nobody even messages that anymore.