Community Member

Default Carceri Storm -0- Ice Storm,. Is Bugged? I can literally OHK bosses with it.

Seems that carceri storm warlock Ice Storm instead of a AoE spell, is a perma DoT(Damage over time), i an fine with warlocks LEARNING different spells compared to druids, sorcerers, clerics, etc; since they learn magic from a outsider patron, BUT this spell in particular seems broken. I can literally cast it in a boss, use dimensional door and just ALT + TAB until the boss is dead. Other problem that i have with Carceri Storm is that all of his "extended spells"(except the lv 2/5 ones) are DOTs. Warlocks could get spels like Mantle of the Icy Soul(Druid) which, since all other pacts gives plenty of buffs or Iceberg(Sorc/Wiz)

Community Member

I played as one this epic PL myself.. I am ES build and falcomry for a more tanky survival than outright dps. I am not sure if it is a bug, but its nice to have, and even though a person can do what you said, im not sure if any are doing it. I havent done it myself, it seems like it would be exploiting the game.

Systems Designer

Fixed internally, will be in an upcoming patch. Thanks!

(this bug has a fun explanation if anyone wants a wall of text!)
    100% radical, enthusiasm enthusiast.

Quote Originally Posted by Lynnabel View Post

Yes, please.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cordovan View Post
    Added even later: Ignore this add, I am the dumb.

Systems Designer

Quote Originally Posted by Yamani View Post
    Yes, please.
    So spells in DDO that use a cloud format are actually two spells - the first one summons the cloud, and the second one is cast by the cloud on the people who make contact with it. The primary spells are usually named just the spell's name (such as Ice Storm) and the secondary spells are considered Auxillary (so Ice Storm Aux).

When setting up the granted spells, I had incorrectly thrown the Auxillary spell into the feat - which when cast by a player, doesn't have a lot of the information very much necessary for the spell to function as intended. Without the actual cloud to handle the dispelling of the DoT, it will incorrectly just apply once and never check again. It's gross but was entirely fixable.
    100% radical, enthusiasm enthusiast.

Community Member

Darn , was hoping you would say working as intended LOL
    Thanks for the explanation of how spells work.

So spells in DDO that use a cloud format are actually two spells - the first one summons the cloud, and the second one is cast by the cloud on the people who make contact with it. The primary spells are usually named just the spell's name (such as Ice Storm) and the secondary spells are considered Auxillary (so Ice Storm Aux).

When setting up the granted spells, I had incorrectly thrown the Auxillary spell into the feat - which when cast by a player, doesn't have a lot of the information very much necessary for the spell to function as intended. Without the actual cloud to handle the dispelling of the DoT, it will incorrectly just apply once and never check again. It's gross but was entirely fixable.
    Is this the same mechanism for things like Lava and mob spells and does this "dispelling of the DoT" sometimes miss, causing the permanent Lava bug among others? It certainly would explain how this happens.
    Farog on Khyber - DDO Char Planner Lite updates -> https://github.com/ChristopherGLewis/ddo-lite-tools

That is disappointing, I had hoped it was a new spell

But, if you are bug fixing, some other Carceri Storm pact warlock bugs are at:
    https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthrea...abilities-bugs

Feel free, to take, your time
    Quote Originally Posted by Drwaz99 View Post
    While it's not difficult to figure out, it's a mindless, stupid and eye-bleeding grind. It's not too hard to figure out that is not what this game needs right now. 2-3 million karma ok, there's some pain for your gain. But really, the EPL's are not worth the pain of 6 million XP in off destinies/sphere's.
    Quote Originally Posted by PermaBanned View Post
    Profit quantity has been prioritized above product quality.

Community Member

Ohhh, thanks. And please, maintain WILL saves, cold is already very resisted and having if and reflex saves would make it the weakest pact.

Quote Originally Posted by Xoham View Post

IMO they should bring Chilling Tentacle for the frost warlock.

Quoting the complete arcane sourcebook - PAGE 10

Black Tentacles is one of the greatest P&P spells. Unfortnetely is nerfed in many games, nwn2 included. BTW nwn2 warlocks are unplayable without warlock reworked mod. DDO is probably the unique vanilla game which din't destroyed warlocks despite not being faithful to P&P. PRC mod for NWN1 also has a amazing WLK.

In fact, when i played DDO for the first time as a sorc, i din't liked much, mainly because managing cooldowns is very boring IMO, when i have heard that they did a good job with warlock in a discussion, purchased WLK and now, have a epic lv archfey warlock and a high level carceri WLK. Anyway, amazing thread with bugs and suggestions. I honestly believe that 4 DoTs is a little overkill and having iceberg or other spell will be better(just my opinion)

Community Member HungarianRhapsody's Avatar

It's one of the few bright spots in a build that has a lot of drawbacks. If it didn't get fixed, that would be fine.
    No one in the world ever gets what they want
    And that is beautiful
    Everybody dies frustrated and sad
    And that is beautiful

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by ChicagoChris View Post
    Is this the same mechanism for things like Lava and mob spells and does this "dispelling of the DoT" sometimes miss, causing the permanent Lava bug among others? It certainly would explain how this happens.

I'm willing to bet those rare instances are due to packet loss. As most people know, the internet sends data across in billions of little packets of information. If any of those are lost along the way important pieces of information ( such as hey they're no longer in lava / cloudkill areas ) is not noticed by the client.

Perhaps something that could be added in once a player recalls / exits a quest / wilderness area would be a client-side check that essentially would be along the lines of:

If !isaffected ( spell_aux ) {
    do_remove spell_aux(char)
    }

( Or for those who speak English: They've left the zone, so if we think they're still still being affected by this, they're clearly not, so get rid of it )

Yes, it wouldn't fix the issue for people who are nowhere near a zone / unable to exit, but it would be an effective solution in a large number of cases.

Any chance of changing the graphics for player version of many clouds? Spells such as Sleet Storm, Solid Fog and Hypnotic Pattern makes it hard for other players to see while standing in them. I would like to see player versions visually being more like Cloudkill and Incendiary Cloud with lower vertical height.

2014 DDO Players Council
    Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Xoham View Post

Maybe I am just tired, but can you anchor then link, and label 'bugs' ...?
    ~ Crimson Eagles of Khyber ~
    ~ Melicient ~ Melianny ~ Melinator ~ Melizzic ~ Melton ~ Melvanwy ~ Mellant ~ Melangst ~

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by SgtSarros View Post
    I'm willing to bet those rare instances are due to packet loss. As most people know, the internet sends data across in billions of little packets of information. If any of those are lost along the way important pieces of information ( such as hey they're no longer in lava / cloudkill areas ) is not noticed by the client.

Perhaps something that could be added in once a player recalls / exits a quest / wilderness area would be a client-side check that essentially would be along the lines of:

If !isaffected ( spell_aux ) {
    do_remove spell_aux(char)
    }

( Or for those who speak English: They've left the zone, so if we think they're still still being affected by this, they're clearly not, so get rid of it )

Yes, it wouldn't fix the issue for people who are nowhere near a zone / unable to exit, but it would be an effective solution in a large number of cases.
    The better solution, the one they applied to lava recently, is simply making the Auxiliary's damage portion an actual DoT - making it expire a few seconds later unless reapplied.
    Adding a ton of checks in the functions that apply when resting/dying or at the end of quests sounds both tedious and something that would have to be redone every time a new cloud spell got introduced.
    Enthusiasm enthusiast enthusiast.