Community Manager

Default Downtime Notice: 8:00 AM - 12:00 PM Eastern (-4 GMT) Tuesday, June 30th

UPDATE: The game worlds have reopened.

The DDO game worlds will be unavailable from 8:00 AM - 12:00 PM Eastern (-4 GMT) on Tuesday, June 30th to release Update 46.3. Click here for the Release Notes.
    Last edited by Cordovan; 06-30-2020 at 09:05 AM.
    Have fun, and don't forget to gather for buffs!
    Follow DDO on: Facebook Twitter Pinterest
    Join us on Twitch!
    Hello from Standing Stone Games! Facebook Twitter
    For Support: https://help.standingstonegames.com

VIP players and Season Pass holders now get a small group bonus to experience... This is in addition to the standard +10% XP provided to VIP players.

So VIP's +15% now, and 21% in a raid group. Cute.

I hate to be "that guy", but really... stop murdering the grind gap. It's bad enough now waiting for static group members to "catch up".

We know you're trying to force VIP and XP potion sales by inflating the curve, but quit it. )
    Last edited by DRoark; 06-29-2020 at 10:57 PM.
    NO MORE MONEY UNTIL IPS NERF RETRACTED... Ranged of the World Unite!

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Cordovan View Post
    The DDO game worlds will be unavailable from 8:00 AM - 12:00 PM Eastern (-4 GMT) on Tuesday, June 30th to release Update 46.3. Click here for the Release Notes.
    So just wondering if these extended down times are going to be the new normal because they have been happening for months now and I would like to know so I can work around them better. Down time is always in my gaming time don't mind if its an hour or 3-4 hours now and again but 3-4hrs all the time is becoming annoying.

Quote Originally Posted by DRoark View Post
    stop murdering the grind gap. It's bad enough now waiting for static group members to "catch up".
    Heh, this is like the old bard song run-speed issue: the bard's song speeds the bard more than the party due to higher base. So, bard outruns the slowbie and leaves them without song-speed. In the end, you're still stuck waiting on the slowest. (IMHO, bard song run-buff should set everyone's speed to that of the fastest in group to keep groups together).

OTH, you're the one permitting slow-leveling f2p in your static -- kinda your choice there. IMHO, "f2p" is just "demo mode". If you're committed to longer term or permanent f2p, you're likely more of a burden than you're worth to the game and vice-versa, too; ie. if the game isn't fun enough to pay $10/month just as a "tip" or "thank you devs!", why bother playing?

As a subscriber, I'm ambivalent. I already group as much as I can and from what I've seen, so do most other players. It's nice, but it's not a helpful incentive. What we need is more people we can group with: mega server or a way to mix disparate levels (both difficulty desires and character levels).

Ugh -- I wonder if this will spawn "6-boxing" solo'ers or short-groups with a few boxed just for the bonus.

Community Member HungarianRhapsody's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DRoark View Post
    VIP players and Season Pass holders now get a small group bonus to experience... This is in addition to the standard +10% XP provided to VIP players.

So VIP's +15% now, and 21% in a raid group. Cute.

I hate to be "that guy", but really... stop murdering the grind gap. It's bad enough now waiting for static group members to "catch up".

We know you're trying to force VIP and XP potion sales by inflating the curve, but quit it. )
    It's much smaller than that, really.

The VIP 10% is a multiplicative bonus that comes after all the other quest XP bonuses.

The VIP-buddy bonus XP is additive instead of multiplicative, so you're only getting 5-11% bonus on the base XP. You're not getting it on the total XP. You also don't get it on Sagas, etc.

It's nice that there's a bonus, but it is a really tiny one when you realize that you're going from like 300% of quest XP to 305% of quest XP on a first run through a quest. And even that is only with a full party.
    No one in the world ever gets what they want
    And that is beautiful
    Everybody dies frustrated and sad
    And that is beautiful

Community Member MelanieScribbles's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Veltamore View Post
    So just wondering if these extended down times are going to be the new normal because they have been happening for months now and I would like to know so I can work around them better. Down time is always in my gaming time don't mind if its an hour or 3-4 hours now and again but 3-4hrs all the time is becoming annoying.
    I feel the same: I would like to know if 3-4 hours is the new normal indeed so I can plan out which quests I run on those days more accordingly. I was mid-quest when I got the in-game notification for 15 minutes, and I found myself rushing to finish it. The quest length said long, so I admit I kind of panicked and zerg rushed it. Don't get me wrong: I definitely should've checked the forums beforehand, so that one is 100% on me. I just want to know for future questing.
    Orien - Current mains: Nefnathe Sylbanise (10 Paladin), Ronorth The Brave (4 Barbarian), Barorvir Dhalmenna (4 Paladin)
    Current side toons: Carreus Whisperfury (5 Bard)
    Very new player here, so sorry in advance if I say something stupid or nooby.

Community Manager

The game worlds have reopened.
    Join us on Twitch!

Community Manager

Quote Originally Posted by MelanieScribbles View Post
    I feel the same: I would like to know if 3-4 hours is the new normal indeed so I can plan out which quests I run on those days more accordingly. I was mid-quest when I got the in-game notification for 15 minutes, and I found myself rushing to finish it. The quest length said long, so I admit I kind of panicked and zerg rushed it. Don't get me wrong: I definitely should've checked the forums beforehand, so that one is 100% on me. I just want to know for future questing.
    We have announced four hour downtime windows for updates for as long as the game has been around. Often we can open the worlds earlier, as we have done today, but we have been announcing four hour downtime windows since 2006. Weekly restarts tend to be about an hour to two hours in duration.
    Join us on Twitch!

Quote Originally Posted by MelanieScribbles View Post
    3-4 hours is the estimated, maximum time they think it might take (if something pops up). It rarely takes the full 4 hours. Would you rather they said 1-2 hours and then had to extend it? Also, if you saw the 15 minute warning, you had been in the quest for less than 15 minutes as they send out many notifications in shortening intervals.

Edit - Dang, Cordovan beat me to it.

Downtime is always in someone's gaming time. It happens when it does because that is when the people applying the updates/patches are at work.

If you're committed to longer term or permanent f2p, you're likely more of a burden than you're worth to the game and vice-versa, too; ie. if the game isn't fun enough to pay $10/month just as a "tip" or "thank you devs!", why bother playing?
    Because I like playing the game and I like earning things by unlocking them/earning points (as do many others). You play your way and I'll play mine, and I promise to never intentionally 'burden' you

Happy gaming all
    Dennis the Peasant: Listen. Strange women lying in ponds distributing swords is no basis for a system of government. Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony.

Also, Cordovan (if you see this), could you maybe take a look at this thread: Launcher Error - "Unable to decrypt & de-serialize the data..." ? sexypaladin has been unable to patch for a week now and I and several others have suggested everything we can think of to no avail. Maybe you could have someone look into it? With any luck the patch today will fix it, but...

Thanks and keep up the good work.
    Dennis the Peasant: Listen. Strange women lying in ponds distributing swords is no basis for a system of government. Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony.

Blood footprints still not working for warfoged and bladeforged
    Helloween/Trooperrj/Dreamhealer/Sepulturaa/Ironhell/Halibaba/gammaray/Blindgardian/Megadethx and 22 others..INFERUS SUS-Thelanis

Quote Originally Posted by ironmaiden-br View Post
    They don't have any blood. Maybe oil footprints?
    Quote Originally Posted by Teh_Troll View Post
    We are no more d000m'd then we were a week ago. Note - This was posted in 10/2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Eth View Post
    When you stop caring about xp/min this game becomes really fun. Trust me.
    Quote Originally Posted by TedSandyman View Post
    Some people brag about how fast they finished the game. I cant think of a stupider thing to brag about. Or in this game, going from level 1 to level 30 in two days, or however long it takes. I can't even begin to imagine what drives a person to think that is fun. You are ignoring all of the content and options and going for sheer speed. It is like going to a museum and bragging about how fast you made it through. Or bragging about how fast you finished a good steak.

Quote Originally Posted by ironmaiden-br View Post

not cool Helloween needs his footprints so he can figure out where he's been

psst. Hi Troop@

Marshland Hunter - Tonka - Merack - Mockery - Taralack Veed - Minastir - of Thelanis

Quote Originally Posted by Thrudh View Post
    They don't have any blood. Maybe oil footprints?
    Exactly what I was thinking.
    I can be found on Orien as Cilon or Acroyer.
    Died 9ish times on HC2. Was best known there as Ransack and Carnage (they lasted the longest).

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainSpacePony View Post
    Exactly what I was thinking.

Maybe he doesn;t realize that not wearing clothes means there is nothing to soak up the blood of the mobs he destroyed and leave footprints....

Marshland Hunter - Tonka - Merack - Mockery - Taralack Veed - Minastir - of Thelanis

Quote Originally Posted by Stormblade721 View Post
    Maybe he doesn;t realize that not wearing clothes means there is nothing to soak up the blood of the mobs he destroyed and leave footprints....
    thats exactly the point... the mobs blood on my foot
    Helloween/Trooperrj/Dreamhealer/Sepulturaa/Ironhell/Halibaba/gammaray/Blindgardian/Megadethx and 22 others..INFERUS SUS-Thelanis

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Cordovan View Post
    We have announced four hour downtime windows for updates for as long as the game has been around. Often we can open the worlds earlier, as we have done today, but we have been announcing four hour downtime windows since 2006. Weekly restarts tend to be about an hour to two hours in duration.
    I know that updates have been announced for 4hrs and restarts tend to last about an hour but we have been having updates every week for awhile now that is why I asked to see if in future are we going to be having updates every week because it seems to be the new normal.

Community Member

Downtime is always in someone's gaming time. It happens when it does because that is when the people applying the updates/patches are at work.

I wasn't asking them to change the time they do it or anything like that I was asking if we where going to be getting updates every week ?.

Community Manager

I know that updates have been announced for 4hrs and restarts tend to last about an hour but we have been having updates every week for awhile now that is why I asked to see if in future are we going to be having updates every week because it seems to be the new normal.
    There will be some kind of downtime every week, typically on Tuesdays or Wednesdays. For weekly restarts, they are for the health of the game environment, and are typically pretty short downtimes, often an hour or less. For updates, when we want to fix something or add to the game build, they will take several hours longer. We announce a downtime window to give us some breathing room, but have often been able to come up before the listed end. We do apologize that it has run into your game time.
    Join us on Twitch!