Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CZTBt7oar9w

Don't miss the daily dice...

And... the Auction House is your friend. There are already a lot of things there that are better than your gear. Cheap as well...…
    (this is why you should (if you can) bank your plat....
    if you cannot bank your plat... then make an alt to mail your excess plat to....)

My experience:

Take breaks..... it wasn't any fun dying because I was tired... most of my deaths have been because of this (combined with the massive increase in difficulty when you get to the level where Champions start appearing!!!)

If you are in a group and unhappy (eg because ppl are zerging etc...) then drop the group. About the worst death we had (in terms of feelings) was when some idiot sprang a trap in Necro 3 whilst I was searching for the box.

The Augment Summoning feat helped a lot (compared to the lives I did not take it - hirelings, pets and summons...)
    Without expansive meta-knowledge.... SPOT is the best skill in the game. Even with no WIS bonus, I have been spotting most of the traps. (of course I need to not be running so fast that I cant react).

Don't take that L3 wizard hireling that spams GREASE....

Don't break yourself /life whatever to farm that 5000 Favor mount if you expect you will be able to use it in the next hardcore...

I personally never crafted. Didn't feel like I missed out.
    There is probably more... I will post when I think of it.
    Last edited by AlmGhandi; 06-28-2020 at 03:59 PM. Reason: Typo
    kruemeli of Orien - Leader of the "Merry" Hobbits https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthrea...20#post5002220
    It is okay to be "merry": http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pjOOKb-DFZs
    I just Keep quiet and think.... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jYP8M06A8W0

Don't assume you haven't triggered the end fight in Slavers when your wife interrupts to ask you a question.

Don't swear and start sobbing when you turn back to your screen and find the land of the dead.

Do reassure wife when she says " oh sorry, was that my fault?" - "No dear, just one of those things, ... sob"

Interrupting a game is not, apparently, grounds for divorce ...

Some thoughts on HC server. No rudeness intended just being serious and goal-focused:

1. Know where the quest is. Wiki it.
    2. Wiki the quest. Know where the traps are and the path is.
    3. First level of competence is knowing where the quest is and not holding people up.
    4. Second level of competence is not getting yourself killed and not running off and spawning reapers that others have to deal with.
    5. Third and final level of competence is actively clearing mobs/bosses/ and progressing the quest.
    6. It is ok to pike at the beginning if you're not sure. It is better than running off and causing havoc (or spawning a fear reaper...)
    7. Join a guild. Buy following potions - about 5-10 each in case you die don't want to blow lots of cash: lesser resto, blindness removal, poison neutral, remove disease, remove curse.
    8. If you have the $$ also buy shield scrolls, waterbreathing potions, haste potions, heroism potions.
    9. Hit up the cheap vendors just in the marketplace for ML 1 starting gears. Then go farm korthos for your FF cloak.
    10. If doing favor start with korthos, move to borderlands, then harbor etc.
    11. Level 20, favor, or reaper? Is a common question. Don't say all - seriously just focus on one. 20 can come with favor, but reaper and favor don't go together.
    12. In quests, on elite favor, don't do optionals. It adds more risk and you ARE just doing favor right?
    13. Oh the quest thing here's how it works, you can't enter a quest if you're too high level. So for example a level 7 can get into a level 3 quest but a level 8 cannot. Keep that in mind when planning out your quest todos.
    14. Also note that if you want to do deleras on casual at 9 you can, but if you take 10, you can't redo it again for favor etc cause the first quest is a 5.
    15. Same kind of thing for threnal, there's a quest in there that's part of the chain that is lower than one of the previous ones. Just check it all first and make sure you got it right if you're going to get the mantle.
    16. Same kinda goes for tangleroot if you're farming the visor. The first quest is a 3 I think but the last one is a 7. So if you don't get the visor on the first try just stay at level 7 so you can reopen the first quest again.
    17. Some of this stuff can be mitigated by having a farming toon that passes BTA stuff. Others like the mantle do not.
    18. If you're unsure, ASK.
    19. Hotkey your teleport scroll or soverign temple spell etc.
    20. Have an OHSHIZZ button. Meaning a quick blast of temp HP or big MRRPRR boost etc.

Community Member ShifterThePirate's Avatar

Question... When starting an Iconic on level 1. Can you TR like a normal character on level 20? I know you still have to start on the Iconics class first.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by ShifterThePirate View Post
    Question... When starting an Iconic on level 1. Can you TR like a normal character on level 20? I know you still have to start on the Iconics class first.
    No, iconics still have the same restrictions/rules, they just start at 1 instead of 15.

Quote Originally Posted by fatherpirate View Post
    Do not go into Elemental evil without a way to resist paralyze or you
    will likely die in the living pool room.
    What are some examples of ways to resist paralyze?
    Quote Originally Posted by Teh_Troll View Post
    We are no more d000m'd then we were a week ago. Note - This was posted in 10/2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Eth View Post
    When you stop caring about xp/min this game becomes really fun. Trust me.
    Quote Originally Posted by TedSandyman View Post
    Some people brag about how fast they finished the game. I cant think of a stupider thing to brag about. Or in this game, going from level 1 to level 30 in two days, or however long it takes. I can't even begin to imagine what drives a person to think that is fun. You are ignoring all of the content and options and going for sheer speed. It is like going to a museum and bragging about how fast you made it through. Or bragging about how fast you finished a good steak.

Community Member SpartanKiller13's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Thrudh View Post
    What are some examples of ways to resist paralyze?
    I think Freedom of Movement is the only long-term/permanent option? Makes most into a slow instead. Harper Pin will clear it once (Unstoppable from LD & Forced Escape ED Feat should as well, but both were bugged last time I saw). Undying Vanguard epic moment from US is usable when crowd controlled, so it'll keep you from dying; not the best way to resist an effect though XD

Super-high saves (especially with a method to not auto-fail on a 1, such as ED twists) work as well, but those are pretty hard to get on most toons. Paladins FTW! You don't need no-fail most of the time, as long as you can survive for two rolls or so (as most hard CC effects have frequent saves).

There's a number of ways to remove it from other people, but those don't help you if soloing etc (and thus I wouldn't rely on others for it on HC).
    Last edited by SpartanKiller13; 06-30-2020 at 03:41 PM.
    -Khysiria of Cannith
    Quote Originally Posted by zehnvhex View Post
    Warlock is basically a ghetto Shiradi Sorc. You gives up some of the damage and self sustain for the ability to just hold down left click and yolo blast your way to victory.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lynnabel View Post
    It's DDO. There are probably 6 different types of Evil damage.

Robots can't be paralyzed, Freedom of Movement should prevent it (although the devs have decided to put in a thousand and one exceptions that FoM does not stop but should).
    Kobold sentient jewel still hate you.

Community Member Riddle_of_Steel's Avatar

Biggest advice I can give here that I am not sure was said or not.

1. In Hard Core CON is never a dump stat. 14 should be the absolute minimum you will start with but fit 16 in wherever possible, even at the cost of a point of DC or damage
    2. If you are an INT build your first feat should be Insightful Reflexes. Traps are the absolute single most dangerous encounters at nearly all levels. A single save made would often be the difference between a hard lesson and a soul stone.
    3. For most player HC builds are fundamentally different than live server builds. 1 Level of Barbarian is often better for your build than nearly anything else (faster run and access to blood tribute). In Heroic, and R1's it's always a good choice and blood tribute will see you through a lot of things you shouldn't have been able to survive if you are quick on it. It should be in your most accessible hotkey position.
    4. Always try and make sure you have a trapper (See point 2).
    5. Kobold Shamans are no joke watch them, prioritize their destruction and make you you stay mobile. Lightning bolt can fork to hit you twice and each hit could crit you get both happening and most characters will die.
    6. Warforged (and bladeforged) are the master race here. Many immunities and +2 Con are both hard to beat
    7. You can get a shield clicky (gloves) in Necromancer's Doom if you can get the door unlocked. It's worth taking / farming for them if you aren't on a UMD build. Magic Missiles are murder in the mid game without something to mitigate that damage.
    Last edited by Riddle_of_Steel; 07-03-2020 at 04:20 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by SiliconScout View Post
    DDO was my MMO of choice because it didn't require a lot of mindless grind back in the day. Now it's my MMO of choice due to inertia and apathy.
    How to Provide Actionable Feedback

Runestones are your friend - low level ones don't take much in levels or materials to craft & their DCs are pretty decent, particularly the stun & petrifying ones against enemies with low fortitude saves. They can make certain fights much, much easier, especially against beholders

Collectables can be handy for ammo, heal over time potions & even panacea potions which give all of Heal's effects but with less HP restoration.

The free ravenloft weapon is excellent from level 10, but there's another few very easy items to get - at level 8, head into relic of a sovereign past (yes i know its a level 12 quest) on casual, gather up the adamantine pieces in the side area then turn them in to the guy at the end (pieces you find can be retained for subsequent runs if you want multiple items) - particularly noteable are heavy (100%) fortification item plus a dart & a longsword, both of which are very strong.
    I used to be with it, but then they changed what it was, now what's it is weird and scary to me.

Community Member Culver.Civello's Avatar

ASK QUESTIONS!

Due to the nature of hardcore, a lot of these vets that normally just zerg through quest and don't waste their time on idle things like Communication, they are SLOWING DOWN. It's a good time to pick their brains about any questions you have. Ask them about their build... they won't shut up. trust me. Hahaha.

Lost Legions of Sarlona................................. Tyrs Paladium of Ghallanda
    Kobai . Artisti . Kobot . Ezike . Dynic.......................... Ezike . Kobai
    Knucklehead Club of Thelanis
    Kobay-1

Another tip; try make sure you don't accidently buy relatively common vendor purchasable items. That some lowest of the low, unscrupulous lowlifes have placed at ridiculously exorbitant prices on the Auction House.

None of those Prices for Thieves' tools are cheap and have an initial Auction House price, at several hundred of times more than their base values or actual worth.

However, as we can see one individual has purposely separated some: +1 Thieves' tools, into a single separate tool that is only good for dealing with: 1 Trap or Lock. Thus placing 1000pp starting price! For an item that has a 'Base value' of perhaps: 2 Copper pieces. There are such things as a tidy profit, and then there is daylight robbery, those 3 tools classify as the second.

If that were a stack of 50 tools, it would workout at costing: 50,000pp for; 50 +1 Thieves' tools. You can likely get +2 Ability Tomes cheaper... Even on the 'Hardcore server' (were some items are scarcer) you can easily get several stacks of: 50 [+2] Tools at Buyout for less than those three [+1] Tools.

On the regular servers a stack of pricey: 50 premium grade +5 Thieves' Tools (Base price 130pp) are typically posted for less than: 7500pp Buyout on a daily basis and its rare you'd see any other [+] bonus tools posted.

All the money you make will never buy back your soul.

as said earlier^

GREED kills you - not talking about a reaper...but they can kill you too.
    If your doing a elite favor run --- DO NO OPTIONAL THAT ARE PROTECTED BY A TRAP OR MINI BOSS

trash loot not worth starting over.

so it you want to solo the elite favor prizes

one solo strategy

lvl 1 dungeon - elite
    lvl 2 dungeons - elite
    lvl 3 dungeons - hard
    lvl 4+ dungeons - normal
    UNTIL YOU REACH LEVEL 7
    THEN
    re-do level 3 dungeon - elite
    re-do level 4 dungeons (your lvl 8) -elite
    if not, continue with normal dungeons until you get lvl 8

why do all this

as a solo you need all the advantage you can get to beat the champion
    spawns to include max allowed lvl

This way, you will only face Champions WHEN your the max level for that
    dungeon.

Will that take longer? YES - but it will drastically improve you odds if your
    a dedicated soloist

good luck

If you've never done a quest, or it's been years since you've done it...

nothing wrong with jumping back on your normal server and running it with one of your other characters.

Just to get a feel for where the traps and surprise fights are...
    Quote Originally Posted by Teh_Troll View Post
    We are no more d000m'd then we were a week ago. Note - This was posted in 10/2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Eth View Post
    When you stop caring about xp/min this game becomes really fun. Trust me.
    Quote Originally Posted by TedSandyman View Post
    Some people brag about how fast they finished the game. I cant think of a stupider thing to brag about. Or in this game, going from level 1 to level 30 in two days, or however long it takes. I can't even begin to imagine what drives a person to think that is fun. You are ignoring all of the content and options and going for sheer speed. It is like going to a museum and bragging about how fast you made it through. Or bragging about how fast you finished a good steak.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123