Default Sunny/snowy side of the force

So... According to all available data (playeraudit, Cordovan during streams etc.) DDO population is growing right now and there're new players in game. But there're still really stupid mechanics, even in newbie zone (korthos). Do we need sunny and snowy side in korthos? I've got nothing against aesthetic values (snow etc.) but there's grouping blockade between players on sunny/snowy sides and i do believe it's really stupid and not needed. Of course none vet will care about stuff like that, but i recently met new player, who played a bit, enjoyed the game so he invited friends but... He was not able to play with them and cause of it he almost deleted character (he thought it's bug and he have to create new one). What truely happened is: he accidently went to borderlands (since there's teleport guy right in front of your face after you finish the grotto) and cause of it he was considered sunny side while his friends were not. Of course there's no information, no pop-up with help how to fix it or anything like that, it's even impossible for someone new to know what caused the problem, so it might be really confusing for new players when all attempts of grouping are welcomed with "error".

Just my two cents.

PS: probably this issue was already brought many times, but i didn't found any threads recently, sry if there're some.

I'd also personally rather see all new players, returning players, and TRing players lumped into the same side Korthos with no grouping restrictions separating them. Lore aside (which I understand some players might still be holding onto), it seems silly at this point to separate players like that.

Also this
    Of course there's no information, no pop-up with help how to fix it or anything like that, it's even impossible for someone new to know what caused the problem, so it might be really confusing for new players when all attempts of grouping are welcomed with "error".
    is a serious issue. There are a lot of game mechanics that bombard new players with absolutely no explanation creating a significant hurdle for prospective players.
    Last edited by Clemeit; 06-06-2020 at 03:47 PM.

I've never minded the mechanic, but it is very non-intuitive, a "What in Amrath is going on?!" sort of thing for new players who might want to group together, but find themselves "on opposite sides" one way or another.

It'd be nice if there were a (more significant) tutorial pop-up or more obvious "How to" on that point, maybe triggered whenever characters on diff sides tried to group?

returning players? ya I can see that

New players? maybe a few, but not a lot

Snowyside was brought in so that newbies wouldn't be overwhelmed by vets straight off the boat.

BUT

There's nowhere near as many newbies in DDO today as there was in 2010 - Even with the current influx

AND

Even back in 2010 I remember being led by the hand to sunnyside so I could run with more people and ever since I've done exactly the same for every Korthos newbie I've encountered!

-

The problem with newbies bringing friends into the game before they've really learned the game themselves is they might not even know about the snowyside/sunnyside dilemma themselves today BECAUSE they didn't have a vet around to explain it to them and just assumed no-one was on Korthos because it's the lowest level content in an old game {I've got a lot of newbies in my guild on Wayfinder and I'm explaining to them at Lvl 16+ about TRing! They're not coming into the game expecting vets to be on Korthos at all!}.

Keep on the Borderlands being accessible from Korthos without first running Misery's Peak was a bad idea. {Moving the other Gatekeeper NPC from the Hall of Heroes to the Grove was an even worse idea!}.

It's time to just drop Snowyside as a remnant of the early game!

the port to borderlands should have never been placed in korthos.

Quote Originally Posted by Gniewomir View Post
    So... According to all available data (playeraudit, Cordovan during streams etc.) DDO population is growing right now and there're new players in game. But there're still really stupid mechanics, even in newbie zone (korthos). Do we need sunny and snowy side in korthos?
    This also reduced the amount of platfarmers who endlessly spammed all the chat channels. It was too much work for them to create an account and play through the korthos story line in order to get off the island.

Quote Originally Posted by Jomee View Post
    This also reduced the amount of platfarmers who endlessly spammed all the chat channels. It was too much work for them to create an account and play through the korthos story line in order to get off the island.
    Don't think that would be much of an issue anymore, considering how plentiful plat is these days and how little things there are to spend it on, aside from the auction house.
    'twas right, said they,
    such birds to slay,
    that bring the fog and mist

Most of the problem would be alleviated by putting a banker in Snowy Side so that reincarnating vets didn't need to go to the Harbor (and abandon snowy side) to get their starter gear.
    Kobold sentient jewel still hate you.

Quote Originally Posted by Matuse View Post
    Most of the problem would be alleviated by putting a banker in Snowy Side so that reincarnating vets didn't need to go to the Harbor (and abandon snowy side) to get their starter gear.
    You automatically leave the snowy side the moment you skip the intro quest, though. Which I highly suspect 99% of reincarnating people are doing. I, at the very least, haven't played that quest in years.
    'twas right, said they,
    such birds to slay,
    that bring the fog and mist

Quote Originally Posted by Wylf View Post
    Don't think that would be much of an issue anymore, considering how plentiful plat is these days and how little things there are to spend it on, aside from the auction house.
    And even on AH, for most of items, it would be more like "1 mln plat pls" instead of "1k plat pls" to buy anything decent. I won't mention plat cap for f2p accounts.

In fact, even in 2010 when i started, i never found it a big problem. Tells like that were, at least for me, more like once per month rather than everyday situation.

You automatically leave the snowy side the moment you skip the intro quest, though. Which I highly suspect 99% of reincarnating people are doing. I, at the very least, haven't played that quest in years.
    Honestly, when i TR i even don't bother running anything from korthos, since korthos village is like 1k xp/quest and harbor is 4-6k (always starting with info since there's like 10 kills to finish, easy lvl 2).

And yeah, i'm pretty sure most of players reincarnating skip storyline and go harbor, if not for other reasons, then at least to grab ship buffs.
    Last edited by Gniewomir; 06-07-2020 at 10:18 PM.

I run that intro quest every time. I have no idea why, I just do. I then grab bank stuff and head right back, because I'm a creature of habit. Bad habits, of course, but habits nonetheless.
    I primarily play Zunzyne Siegemaker, and am the guild master of Ares Macrotechnology on Ghallanda.
    Reaper Experience Calculator: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...ewE/edit#gid=0 (out of date as of U42.4, needs testing for new values)

Community Member SpartanKiller13's Avatar

Honestly, when i TR i even don't bother running anything from korthos, since korthos village is like 1k xp/quest and harbor is 4-6k (always starting with info since there's like 10 kills to finish, easy lvl 2).

And yeah, i'm pretty sure most of players reincarnating skip storyline and go harbor, if not for other reasons, then at least to grab ship buffs.
    I personally run Korthos Village, it's like 12 minutes for 30 favor, 24 of which is Coin Lords

I've never needed ship buffs to get through Korthos. YMMV, apparently, but there aren't Kobold Shamans and there's no Reaper. Maybe try out Byron Scoutsword, the hireling of doom?
    -Khysiria of Cannith
    Quote Originally Posted by zehnvhex View Post
    Warlock is basically a ghetto Shiradi Sorc. You gives up some of the damage and self sustain for the ability to just hold down left click and yolo blast your way to victory.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lynnabel View Post
    It's DDO. There are probably 6 different types of Evil damage.

Community Member

skip intro quest, take port to KotB, walk around the block to the bank there, get all your stuff including cosmetic appearance and horse, click xp things to get level, walk around the other block, take level up, take portal to gatekeepers, ride horse to korthos, do village for coin lords.

Community Member Alrik_Fassbauer's Avatar

Do we need sunny and snowy side in korthos?
    I guess that there's already an FB group called "we don't want story in DDO !!!" ?
    "You are a Tiefling. And a Cleric, with the Domain of the Sun. Doesn't that contradict each other ?" "No, all my friends are playing evil. I found that so boring that I decided to be on the good side. And, besides, Sun and Fire, where is the difference, really ?"