Results 1 to 9 of 9
  1. #1
    Community Member Varr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    2,197

    Default Shuriken Offhand Companion Weapon

    I've a Drow 18/2 DC casting Vamp/Monk. As a toy, I have crafted a Spite with Rubies of Good and Vamp Slayer and 8 rare filigree (3 Crackshot and 5 Deadly Rain for Ranged power boosts.)

    I've never really dug into the Shuriken throwers so don't understand the off hand mechanic. Instead of really digging in, thought I'd just ask for some suggestions.

    Need an off hand Short Sword or Kama that adds useful goodies to the Shuriken when I decide to toss it around. These times will mostly be when I'm feeling lazy and looking at a Dragon or some other big boss type. Prefer to stay centered so I don't have to hit a second button to re-center after switching back to handwraps.

    I know its silly asking an optimization question for a set up I'll use .1% of the time, about as silly as building the Shuriken in the first place.

    Anyway, advice appreciated.
    Last edited by Varr; 06-06-2020 at 11:38 AM.
    Varr's all over. Cannith Varr getting the love currently.

  2. #2
    Build Constructionist unbongwah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    18,860

    Default

    This thread is old so I'm not sure it's still accurate, but it's the closest thing to an official compilation of offhanders for throwers we've got.
    Major build threads: Axesinger / Dwarven Defender / Drow Ninja / Drow Paladin / Elven Ranger / Monkcher / Sacred Vanguard / Cleric Domains / Kundarak Brigade / Iconic Builds
    My Build Index: a Motley Menagerie of Original Rapscallions, Pugilists, and Gimps!

  3. #3
    Community Member Varr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    2,197

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by unbongwah View Post
    This thread is old so I'm not sure it's still accurate, but it's the closest thing to an official compilation of offhanders for throwers we've got.
    Thank, it’s a start!

    2014 though, limited use. Guessing there are a few throwers kicking around. Curious what off handed they suggest/use on generic boss’s.
    Varr's all over. Cannith Varr getting the love currently.

  4. #4
    Community Member Varr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    2,197

    Default

    Well went ahead and read back thru 6 pages of monks. Looks like Celestia and a variety of Greensteel weapons were mentioned. The Greensteel seem to be mostly for defensive benefits, healing amp and fire resist type things. Only looking for DPS/DR breaking additions for the Spite as all set defensively. Looks like Celestia might have something to offer. Will acquire one and play around with it.

    Speak up if a better path available to those that play this type of build please.
    Varr's all over. Cannith Varr getting the love currently.

  5. #5
    Dual-Wielder of Halflings dozkal-mo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    729

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Varr View Post
    Well went ahead and read back thru 6 pages of monks. Looks like Celestia and a variety of Greensteel weapons were mentioned. The Greensteel seem to be mostly for defensive benefits, healing amp and fire resist type things. Only looking for DPS/DR breaking additions for the Spite as all set defensively. Looks like Celestia might have something to offer. Will acquire one and play around with it.

    Speak up if a better path available to those that play this type of build please.
    I've got a thrower I've been running for a long time and I haven't seen any changes to those recommendations. It's basically any off-hand weapon that has burst type effects that will land.
    Officer and Webmaster for Fallen Immortals, a guild of Thelanis.

    Toons: Aryllia, Dayanmak, Devhead, Gezgin, Kutsal, Toprak

  6. #6
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    1,341

    Default

    Legendary Green Steel.

    Many of the LGS weapon bonuses have "Attacks and spells have a chance to ...", which would work well as offhand for a thrower.

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Denmark
    Posts
    3,668

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GeoffWatson View Post
    Legendary Green Steel.

    Many of the LGS weapon bonuses have "Attacks and spells have a chance to ...", which would work well as offhand for a thrower.
    I know from personal experience that LGS Affirmation does not proc from the off hand for a thrower. I dont know if any of the effects do but I somewhat doubt it.
    Danskerne
    A Danish Guild on Ghallanda. Send PM if interested.
    Leading Raids Thursdays from 20 CET and Sundays from 21 CET.

  8. #8
    Community Member Varr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    2,197

    Default

    Added Rep for responses!

    It was suggested to me that a fully upgraded ToEE shortsword might be what I'm looking for. Anyone have experience using one of these as off hander for throwing?

    Maybe something like:
    Tier 1: Greater Acid Torrent - Greater Maiming
    Tier 2: Greater Acid Blast
    Add Greater Mythic Weapon boost for +4 Ranged Power
    Also has a Purple Slot I could insert say a Meteoric Ruby.

    Any thoughts? Would all 5 effects be of use to the Shuriken?
    Last edited by Varr; 06-19-2020 at 08:13 PM.
    Varr's all over. Cannith Varr getting the love currently.

  9. #9
    Dual-Wielder of Halflings dozkal-mo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    729

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Varr View Post
    Added Rep for responses!

    It was suggested to me that a fully upgraded ToEE shortsword might be what I'm looking for. Anyone have experience using one of these as off hander for throwing?

    Maybe something like:
    Tier 1: Greater Acid Torrent - Greater Maiming
    Tier 2: Greater Acid Blast
    Add Greater Mythic Weapon boost for +4 Ranged Power
    Also has a Purple Slot I could insert say a Meteoric Ruby.

    Any thoughts? Would all 5 effects be of use to the Shuriken?
    I actually have a fire, acid, cold, and electric kama/ss offhand for throwers and they worked really well. I am not sure if the meteoric ruby will go off, but only one way to find out.

    I'm currently using celestia b/c the sunburst goes off a lot and had a chance to blind things...doesn't seem to be as valuable anymore, might go back to the ToEE stuff. I used to wear a robe for absorption and the +20 quality RP, but the RL sets overtook it, and now Sharn. I wonder if it's worth revisiting...though a lot of the problem is every set seems to require the armor slot too.
    Officer and Webmaster for Fallen Immortals, a guild of Thelanis.

    Toons: Aryllia, Dayanmak, Devhead, Gezgin, Kutsal, Toprak

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

This form's session has expired. You need to reload the page.

Reload