Hero
    Knight of Movember
    2014 DDO Players Council

Talking All Hail Capt'n Jack Jibbers

I went to see Capt'n Jack with some mates last night ...

My visit went well, and the Cap't was so pleased to see me, he gave me a special blade of his own making ...

My mates were slightly perturbed at this display of affection toward me when I revealed the gift. Being a foolhardy crew, they wanted to go speak with the Capt'n again. I told them that be fine, but let me do the talkin' and I PROMISED them another blade would be coming. So we ventured back to see the Capt'n again. Now, being on good terms, and my mates letting their brains listen to my words instead of their arms with their blades, I convinced the Capt'n that perhaps another blade would appease the lot .. and being on such good terms, the Capt'n obliged.

I can tell ye, he gave me a blade not once but twice. I of course gave the second blade to my mates who then bought ale for a good long while ... still a bit cloudy in the noggin'.

So I say to all ye - Hail the Capt'n! I don't know who RNG is to start them awful rumors, but, the Capt'n is treatin' his crew well these days.
    The evolution of DDO: Stormreach to Eberron Unlimited to Dungeons & Dragons Online
    -1- -2- -3- -4- -5- -6- -7- -8- -9- -10 - -11- -12 - -13- -14! years & still spawning kobolds
    From Turbine to SSG, who are the devs anyway? DDO Peeps Tracker

Quote Originally Posted by Hafeal View Post

My visit went well, and the Cap't was so pleased to see me, he gave me a special blade of his own making ...

My mates were slightly perturbed at this display of affection toward me when I revealed the gift. Being a foolhardy crew, they wanted to go speak with the Capt'n again. I told them that be fine, but let me do the talkin' and I PROMISED them another blade would be coming. So we ventured back to see the Capt'n again. Now, being on good terms, and my mates letting their brains listen to my words instead of their arms with their blades, I convinced the Capt'n that perhaps another blade would appease the lot .. and being on such good terms, the Capt'n obliged.

I can tell ye, he gave me a blade not once but twice. I of course gave the second blade to my mates who then bought ale for a good long while ... still a bit cloudy in the noggin'.

So I say to all ye - Hail the Capt'n! I don't know who RNG is to start them awful rumors, but, the Capt'n is treatin' his crew well these days.
    Flukey Get

Community Member

Hmm. Some people run for years and never see one.

This guy gets 2 in one night.

Nope. Nothing wrong with the drop rate, here. That's definitely correctly-functioning RNG.

Quote Originally Posted by smokejumper89 View Post
    Hmm. Some people run for years and never see one.

This guy gets 2 in one night.

Nope. Nothing wrong with the drop rate, here. That's definitely correctly-functioning RNG.
    This is exactly what random means.

Random with a 1% chance does not mean you can run 100 times and get an item. It means one player can run 3 times and get 3 items, another player can run 1000 times and not get anything.

If you do not understand that, then you do not understand random.

Not at jibbers blade level, but a nice loot experience from yesterday:

I desperately wanted to farm the heroic Family Recruit Sigil, since I didnt get it despite ransacking the quest at level. Just when my ransack timer ran out, i saw an LFM by another player ransacking house of pain for the cloak. We chatted a bit, and he also didnt get anything at his last ransack timer. On his 2nd to last run before ransack, I pulled the cloak for him. Gratefully, he ran the next run with me even though he didnt need anything out of the quest anymore. In that run, I pulled the family sigil. It would have been perfect if he had pulled it for me but anyway, we were both happy.

In my home country we a have a proverb that goes like: shared sorrow is half sorrow, shared happyness is double happyness

On Thelanis: Makkuroi - Heroic+Epic completionist, 30+ Past lives - Guild: Zeugen der Dreizehn

We had two blades drop in the same chest - and noone needing one. Was an odd day.
    Last edited by mikarddo; 06-03-2020 at 03:23 AM.
    Danskerne
    A Danish Guild on Ghallanda. Send PM if interested.
    Leading Raids Thursdays from 20 CET and Sundays from 21 CET.

Quote Originally Posted by Dragavon View Post

Random with a 1% chance does not mean you can run 100 times and get an item. It means one player can run 3 times and get 3 items, another player can run 1000 times and not get anything.

Had to agree here....

Ran that quest on EE at least 50 times (with 8 runs with max rerolls) and no blade, then I go all )ö) and run it EN just to complete it faster and BAM, blade appears...

Jack has trolled me...

Community Member SpartanKiller13's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Drunkendex View Post
    Had to agree here....

Ran that quest on EE at least 50 times (with 8 runs with max rerolls) and no blade, then I go all )ö) and run it EN just to complete it faster and BAM, blade appears...

Jack has trolled me...
    I've definitely seen more on EN/EH than EE...

I've certainly ran a bit more on those difficulties, but anecdotally the drop rate seems higher on EH/EN than EE... Probably just superstition, or the drop rate doesn't care about difficulty.
    -Khysiria of Cannith
    Quote Originally Posted by zehnvhex View Post
    Warlock is basically a ghetto Shiradi Sorc. You gives up some of the damage and self sustain for the ability to just hold down left click and yolo blast your way to victory.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lynnabel View Post
    It's DDO. There are probably 6 different types of Evil damage.

[...]

Ahoy! Do tell how do ye appease cap'n Jack?

Do I needs maximum diplomacy 'n Charisma?

A mighty special dance?

How do ye make cap'n Jack ignore RNG?

With Great Power Comes Great Responsibility

Quote Originally Posted by Tyrande View Post

A mighty special dance?

Everyone knows you cast "bless" on the chest before you open it. This is the case for all chests!!!!
    Leader of Legion of Eberron on Cannith.

Characters: Loromir & Baldomir....among others.

I had a good drop the other day...

I have finally started playing with filigree's and adding them to my weapons here and there, along with this I have been adding named items like crazy to feed XP to my jewel. I maxed it out at 60K and started working on getting a Spark of Memory from WPM. Anywhoo, saw a group running it and joined and it dropped for me first time!

Stoner81.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dragavon View Post

Ah but its not "100 times", or even "1000 times".

Its tens of thousands.

If something has a 1% chance of happening and doesn't happen once out of 10,000 times, that's not a 1% chance.

If you don't understand THAT, then you don't understand probability.

Quote Originally Posted by smokejumper89 View Post
    Ah but its not "100 times", or even "1000 times".

Its tens of thousands.

If something has a 1% chance of happening and doesn't happen once out of 10,000 times, that's not a 1% chance.

If you don't understand THAT, then you don't understand probability.
    Actually it did drop in that 10,000 times, just in another dimension.
    Sarlona's FORMER #1 Piker!!
    QuiknDirty~Quikster~Quikkilla Missquik~
    Member of Roving Guns

Community Member

Congratulations! I'm glad to hear that Jack is showing generosity to someone. I haven't been lucky enough to pull one, but I've only been DDOing for 2 years now, probably only around 100 runs so far if I had to guess. Clearly, I have more dues to pay before I'm blessed by Jack. It will be a glorious day when the blade drops for me, I can tell you that. I'm sure that your pass made someone's week. It would make my month!
    Zamsil - L30 VKF Assassin - Cannith: Hand of Death
    Zanthiss - L30 Acrobat

I've got a Dungeon Master's Guide... I've got 12 sided die...

Hero
    Knight of Movember
    2014 DDO Players Council

Quote Originally Posted by Tyrande View Post

A mighty special dance?

Quote Originally Posted by Loromir View Post
    Everyone knows you cast "bless" on the chest before you open it. This is the case for all chests!!!!

First, pirate, ya never mention RNG in the Capt'n's presence. It gets him right riled up.

And the Capt'n don't believe in no "blessing". No rightful member 'o the crew does something like that.

Ya see now, what ya do is bring the very best rum you have. When the others ain't looking, you give yours to the Capt'n. While he enjoys the rum, you need to do a little sacrifice and give the Capt'n some of yer warm blood. No more than a pint or two - but the more the better. He seems to like it. Then, ya thank him kindly for the hospitality - and if ye have appeased his sour mood, he may share his blade with ye.
    The evolution of DDO: Stormreach to Eberron Unlimited to Dungeons & Dragons Online
    -1- -2- -3- -4- -5- -6- -7- -8- -9- -10 - -11- -12 - -13- -14! years & still spawning kobolds
    From Turbine to SSG, who are the devs anyway? DDO Peeps Tracker

Community Member Alrik_Fassbauer's Avatar

Jack Jibbers in all of his glory : https://ddowiki.com/page/Jack_Jibbers

I only know him from Crystal Cove ... So, when I read the original poster's post, I was first filled with jealousy because I thought that there was the Crystal Cove Event on (my favourite event next to Mabar and Anniversary Party), and I didn't notice about it ...

Only through Wikipedia I learned that he can be found elsewhere, too ...
    Last edited by Alrik_Fassbauer; 06-06-2020 at 07:25 AM.
    "No, it doesn't say 'Lifeling' "

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by 0ldschool View Post
    Congratulations! I'm glad to hear that Jack is showing generosity to someone. I haven't been lucky enough to pull one, but I've only been DDOing for 2 years now, probably only around 100 runs so far if I had to guess. Clearly, I have more dues to pay before I'm blessed by Jack. It will be a glorious day when the blade drops for me, I can tell you that. I'm sure that your pass made someone's week. It would make my month!
    My month has been made!! Jack decided to bless Zanthiss tonight at the end of a solo R1 run. I just stared at the Blade in stunned silence when it popped up. I haven't used it yet, but I'm sure I'll get to soon. I thought of this thread immediately and wanted to share my good fortune. May Jack continue to spread joy to his crew!

ScreenShot_2020-06-16_222114_0.jpg
    Zamsil - L30 VKF Assassin - Cannith: Hand of Death
    Zanthiss - L30 Acrobat

I've got a Dungeon Master's Guide... I've got 12 sided die...