Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Community Member

Default Daybreak has apparently registered another substudio: Wandering Monster Games,

Wandering Monster Games is a D&D reference, could we possibly be seeing SSG rolled into that and LOTRO and DDO added to the all access pass at some point in the future with more money to back them? Am I being to hopeful? what do you folks think?

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Darsch82 View Post
    Wandering Monster Games is a D&D reference, could we possibly be seeing SSG rolled into that and LOTRO and DDO added to the all access pass at some point in the future with more money to back them? Am I being to hopeful? what do you folks think?
    They already said no on the all access pass couple weeks ago.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by acemonkey View Post
    They already said no on the all access pass couple weeks ago.
    Still curious as to what this means for SSG if anything, I don't believe it is a coincidence they used wandering monster

Community Member

Ideally, SSG is selling DDO and keeping LOTRO. Than hopefully new ownership wont just be out to run the game into the ground and cash grab.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Justicesfury View Post
    Ideally, SSG is selling DDO and keeping LOTRO. Than hopefully new ownership wont just be out to run the game into the ground and cash grab.
    why would that be ideal though? SSG seems to have done a pretty good job keeping this game afloat since they left turbine, I am expecting the LOTRO license to not be renewed once the amazon lord of the rings MMO launches honestly.

2016 DDO Players Council
    Hierophant of Vol
    Truthspeaker of Khyber

why would that be ideal though? SSG seems to have done a pretty good job keeping this game afloat since they left turbine, I am expecting the LOTRO license to not be renewed once the amazon lord of the rings MMO launches honestly.
    Why would you expect that? The companies who license the rights still enjoy money don't they?
    Active Characters: Griglok (main), Fiergen, Greyhead, Havegun Dead Alts: Duelcore, Embezzler, Jayberwocky, Laciolux, Prototech, Rendorc, Seasharp
    Leader- The Casual Obsession ___Khyber___
    Builds I'm Currently Playing

SSG handing over the reigns to the cancer that is Daybreak Games will be the first major step toward DDO’s demise. Let’s not forget that Daybreak absolutely loves to lay off its employees right before the Christmas holidays. They have no loyalties to this game and would easily jettison it to pad their own numbers. Ever notice a link for SSG on Daybreak’s page? There’s a reason there isn’t one, and that’s because Daybreak’s own games are absolute rubbish, but instead of making their games better, they’d rather buy up and slowly strangle real competition, while making it look like a suicide.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by karatemack View Post
    Why would you expect that? The companies who license the rights still enjoy money don't they?
    because it would not be the first time a licensed property game was shut down for a newer licensed property game in the same license, a prime example would be star wars galaxies and SWTOR, SOE wanted to keep SWG going, and Lucasarts did not want a competing game to their new shinny mmo swtor, so there is precedent for it.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by AstorPotamus View Post
    SSG handing over the reigns to the cancer that is Daybreak Games will be the first major step toward DDO’s demise. Let’s not forget that Daybreak absolutely loves to lay off its employees right before the Christmas holidays. They have no loyalties to this game and would easily jettison it to pad their own numbers. Ever notice a link for SSG on Daybreak’s page? There’s a reason there isn’t one, and that’s because Daybreak’s own games are absolute rubbish, but instead of making their games better, they’d rather buy up and slowly strangle real competition, while making it look like a suicide.
    Layoffs happen, Christmas holidays or not, its the nature of business, you cut your losses and move on or you go under completely and lose ALL your employees. EQ,EQ2, DCUO, still receive new content constantly, and are still very much profitable and successful. If daybreak was the bogey man everyone believes to be then why would SSG partner with them to publish DDO?

Community Member

because it would not be the first time a licensed property game was shut down for a newer licensed property game in the same license, a prime example would be star wars galaxies and SWTOR, SOE wanted to keep SWG going, and Lucasarts did not want a competing game to their new shinny mmo swtor, so there is precedent for it.
    SWG by the end was starting to become an albatross. NGE had really damaged the brand among the fans, who had especially lost faith in SOE, and rightfully so, to not simply try to turn it into a WoW clone...LA was trying to protect its reputation in the MMO sector and cut ties with a bad faith partner. Protecting SWTOR was definitely a factor, but it wasn't quite as cynically simple as sacrificing the old one to force everyone to play the new one.

That would spell doom for SSG and as a result...DDO too.

Please bite your tongue.
    Leader of Legion of Eberron on Cannith.

Characters: Loromir & Baldomir....among others.

If daybreak was the bogey man everyone believes to be then why would SSG partner with them to publish DDO?
    Desperate times call for desperate actions. It’s ridiculously obvious that others weren’t lining up for the chance to produce an already 10 year old game.
    Last edited by AstorPotamus; 05-26-2020 at 08:55 AM.

Community Member

By that logic Neverwinter should have killed DDO years ago, since that was an MMO made by Cryptic Studios with a licence from WotC. But considering both are operating just fine, I don't think WotC cares.

Karnasis (Human Wizard, Pale Master, Level 27), Taldall (Half-Orc, Monk- Perpetually abandoned)

I seriously doubt anyone who you'd actually want to take over ownership would. The sort of companies who buy failing MMOs tend to do so with the intention of opening up the game to Asian markets while squeezing pay-to-win for all it's worth. In all likelihood if someone were to buy DDO it'd be Tencent. And you wouldn't want DDO to be a Tencent game, trust me.

Here's a link in case someone want to read the article.

https://massivelyop.com/2020/05/21/d...monster-games/

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kabaon View Post
    By that logic Neverwinter should have killed DDO years ago, since that was an MMO made by Cryptic Studios with a licence from WotC. But considering both are operating just fine, I don't think WotC cares.
    There is no across the board logic on licensor behavior. Some like Disney will be up one's *** like a colonoscopy, while others, like Ben Cooper are basically just an old cow that one family milks for spending money for whatever crosses the barrelhead. Really depends on the licensor.

My guess is WotC milks D&D licenses for pocket change. But, someone wants to confirm, go hit the Vegas licensing show and ask Hasbro.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by myliftkk_v2 View Post
    There is no across the board logic on licensor behavior. Some like Disney will be up one's *** like a colonoscopy, while others, like Ben Cooper are basically just an old cow that one family milks for spending money for whatever crosses the barrelhead. Really depends on the licensor.

My guess is WotC milks D&D licenses for pocket change. But, someone wants to confirm, go hit the Vegas licensing show and ask Hasbro.
    Sure, but my comment was more of the fact that if WotC was going to pull the plug on DDO for their new hotness of Neverwinter... it would have been when that game came out. It could happen anytime but honestly they either forgot, don't care, or don't see DDO and Neverwinter as true competition for each other since, to my understanding, neither use 5e rules and both games don't sell books anymore. Or it just costs them nothing so they REALLY don't care.

Karnasis (Human Wizard, Pale Master, Level 27), Taldall (Half-Orc, Monk- Perpetually abandoned)

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kabaon View Post
    Sure, but my comment was more of the fact that if WotC was going to pull the plug on DDO for their new hotness of Neverwinter... it would have been when that game came out. It could happen anytime but honestly they either forgot, don't care, or don't see DDO and Neverwinter as true competition for each other since, to my understanding, neither use 5e rules and both games don't sell books anymore. Or it just costs them nothing so they REALLY don't care.
    Right, but the comment was about the LOTRO license being pulled, not DDOs. Two totally different licensors anyhow and LOTR could be much more actively managed because in the end, it's a way bigger property.

I think Hasbro and the WotC subsidiary chain really only give a **** about the money as far as the D&D license is concerned. There's way bigger properties they would be justified in paying people to "protect" than mess with D&D licensors. TBH, I expect them to give about as much thought to D&D licensor cross-competition as they do to old Kenner IP. As long as DDO pays them, but for most purposes D&D seems to be a pretty dead license as far as commercial interest goes.

Community Member Alrik_Fassbauer's Avatar

The problem is simply that new developers would have to learn the ancient DDO code again.
    It might be not so dangerous if there were developers who already knew the code, or at least parts of it.
    "No, it doesn't say 'Lifeling' "

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Alrik_Fassbauer View Post
    The problem is simply that new developers would have to learn the ancient DDO code again.
    It might be not so dangerous if there were developers who already knew the code, or at least parts of it.
    Meh, I'm hoping they open source it. I'd throw up a boutique server just for kicks to play around with it. Need something to tinker with.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast