Community Member

Default Are expansions still not included in VIP?

Returning player here,

I've not played for years but have MOTU and Shadowfell and over the years bought most adventure packs.

My other half has expressed an interest and wouldn't mind paying for VIP, but looking at the prices of the old expansion packs - $50 for the base editions of both, and then a further $80 for the newer expansions seems a bit much to get up to speed as a new player.

Hero
    2015 DDO Players Council

Quote Originally Posted by PaddyMaxson View Post
    Returning player here,

I've not played for years but have MOTU and Shadowfell and over the years bought most adventure packs.

My other half has expressed an interest and wouldn't mind paying for VIP, but looking at the prices of the old expansion packs - $50 for the base editions of both, and then a further $80 for the newer expansions seems a bit much to get up to speed as a new player.
    Those aren't the prices of the base expansions, your looking at some of the higher tiers or something. EDIT: Or maybe you're not in the US and the exchange rate makes it higher?

MoTU is 19.99
    Shadowfell is 29.99
    Ravenloft and Sharn are both 39.99

That said they go on sale with reasonable frequency, so it may be worth waiting. Especially with a new expansion coming soon I wouldn't be surprised to see a sale on the older ones.

Are expansions still not included in VIP?
    Nope.
    "A wise person chooses the right road; a fool takes the wrong one." - Author unknown

Quote Originally Posted by Lynnabel View Post
    Hi Welcome

Quote Originally Posted by Krelar View Post
    Those aren't the prices of the base expansions, your looking at some of the higher tiers or something. EDIT: Or maybe you're not in the US and the exchange rate makes it higher?

MoTU is 19.99
    Shadowfell is 29.99
    Ravenloft and Sharn are both 39.99

That said they go on sale with reasonable frequency, so it may be worth waiting. Especially with a new expansion coming soon I wouldn't be surprised to see a sale on the older ones.
    We generally get about four sales a year IIRC . . . in February for the Anniversary, in June or July for Summer Sails, around october for Halloween/Thanksgiving, and in December for Christmas. Those are the best times to look for price drops.

Community Member

Hey there!

I am a returning player myself, and wanted to offer my two cents. I initially found the expansions a little cost prohibitive, but I know that they do offer sales on MotU and Shadowfell periodically. If I recall correctly, I bought both of them during a 75% off sale (may have been 50%, my memory is bad), and didn't end up spending much over 20 dollars. Ravenloft and sharn both show up as $40 in my DDO Market, but I'm not sure what could be causing this pricing difference. Ravenloft is an amazing pack and well worth the money, although I bought the cheapest edition because it offered everything I wanted. I don't know if it's gone on sale since I left, but I don't remember it going on sale while I was playing.

As far as Sharn goes, the gear it offers is absolutely fantastic, but I myself have not bought the pack quite yet, although I've played it thanks to the free content that SSG generously made available. If it is a little too expensive, I seem to recall seeing a 2,495 DDO points value assigned to it on the DDO Wiki, so I thiiiiink you can buy it with DDO points instead, but I honestly don't know. I've been taking advantage of all the free content to farm favor while I have access to the packs, and I'm considering going VIP and using the points that VIP gives to help me get Sharn as well as VIP access to all the other content. Whether or not you decide to go this route, I would highly reccomend farming Sharn for gear while you can, unless you decide that you will be buying the pack. If my math checks out, (and it often doesn't ), you may find it less expensive to wait for a DDO Bonus points sale and then use the points to buy Sharn, but as I cannot see the packs on the DDO store atm (I assume because all content is currently free), I am unable to confirm that Sharn is available for this points cost or points at all. Additionally, it is likely that it will not include anything that is bundled into the pack (such as tiefling, or astral shards). Either way, its a viable alternative for saving money and still getting expansion access.

Again, depending on your level of interest in the game and the amount of content you already own, you may prefer to wait for a sale on MotU and Shadowfell, and potentially even wait and see if Sharn and Ravenloft go on sale in the future. At the end of the day, it's totally up to you, and I wish you the best of luck in your DDO endeavours!

Community Member

Cheers all, fingers crossed a sale comes up before we hit epic levels I guess :E

Returning player here,

They are indeed NOT included in VIP however, if your other half is still interested then hang fire on buying the expansions until around Black Friday. They usually go on sale and their prices reduced a lot! So have a look at picking them up then.

Your other half will have to play though heroics first so you certainly have time to wait the other expansions you could probably do without for now too though there is some very nice kit in Sharn but again it's higher in level so will take a bit to get there depending on how much you play.

If your other half is still interested in playing then let her/him take the lead with exploring and just be along for the ride, the thrill of exploring the game was the main thing that kept me here all those years ago.

Stoner81.

Community Member

You can also wait until they decide what to do with the free period transition or whether it's simply extended again. Since there are many people in her shoes and for them simply continuing to play after the free period is expensive relative to the low barrier of other games.

Community Member ShifterThePirate's Avatar

Wait for summer sale in july and buy them with 50-75% sale