Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    Community Member

Everything!

Community Member

They have nothing in their inventory... except for one pair of stone shoes...

Community Member

I hope he has his Prayer Beads on.

Community Member

Default what is he wearing

A big smile because of his +50 tumble. ( He knew it would come in handy one day)

2014 DDO Players Council

He is naked and lunching

Banging my head against a wall, cause the named item didn'the drop.

Default Bacin

Bacon.
    Proud member of the ArchAngels guild, Thelanis.
    Policegirl Killz, Porklord Meatfield, Pilfering Pirate.

A dapper suit, stylish top hat, and sensible shoes - while waving a seemingly non-functional broom the seller swore was a Broom of Flying.

CEO - Cupcake's Muskateers, Thelanis
    DDO Freebies

Something pear-shaped.

Only his underwear?

Default What is the player character wearing?

A whale suit.

Community Member

A brightly coloured parachute.

Quote Originally Posted by Cordovan View Post

Thank you for reading the DDO Chronicle! Don't forget to reply below to the Chronicle Comment for your chance to win 500 DDO Points. We'll select a random winner after Noon Eastern on Friday, May 28th. Good luck!
    a mask and rubber gloves if they playin it safe

It being Eberron, I am putting my money on a barfsplosion coloured robe, mismatched pink pantaloons, a skull belt buckle, and one spike covered, lime green shoulder pad that sticks out two feet or so. Oh. He is also wearing a pair of stupid goggles and a gold pirate hat with a gold skull. Yeah. I'll go with that.
    Last edited by Annex; 05-22-2020 at 04:51 PM.
    Sophie the Cat Burglar - Creator, Dreamer, Explorer - Happy yet Sad - Seeker of Beauty and Wonder
    I wish you all many happy adventures!

Community Member

Default A Serious Answer to a Not So Serious Question

Quote Originally Posted by Cordovan View Post

Thank you for reading the DDO Chronicle! Don't forget to reply below to the Chronicle Comment for your chance to win 500 DDO Points. We'll select a random winner after Noon Eastern on Friday, May 28th. Good luck!
    I know this is a joke question, but I didn't major in physics to not flex on a forum post. Don't @me for spelling/grammar mistakes, I just said I was a physics major not an English major.

tldr; I did a lot of dubious math, and our PC is a Halfling or Gnome wearing padded armor with 3.907lbs of other stuff.

So we start with the equation for terminal velocity:

v=sqrt(2mg/pAC)
    where:
    v=terminal velocity of PC
    m=mass of PC (including equipment)
    g=gravitational constant of Earth (sorry i don't have data on Eberron, so I'll have to use Earth constants)
    p=density of air (again, for Earth)
    A=projected area of PC
    C=drag coefficient of PC

We're looking for m, so we can figure out what they're wearing. We know:

v=60ft/s=26.8224m/s
    g=9.81m/s
    p=1.225kg/m^3

Here's where it gets tricky. The world of Eberron has quite a few races of varying sizes, so they won't all have the same A&C values. But without more information, our values aren't too accurate anyways- so let's just use values for a 70kg (154.324lb) human. We'll also assume the PC has some semblance of survival instincts and is spread eagle to give them more surface area.

A=0.75m^2
    C=.7

With that data, we get m=25.586kg (56.407lb). So that rules out our medium races. That leaves us with the 2 small races in DDO, Gnomes and Halflings. According to the 5e PHB (DDO is of course based on 3.5 but I am a poor college student and own only one edition), halflings and gnomes both average 40-45lbs, so we'll say 42.5lbs or 19.278kg, so our PC is carrying roughly 13.907lbs of equipment. Gnomes and Halflings both have a -2 to STR so they can have a starting ability score of 6-16 STR for an average of 11. There's some conflicting information on how to calculate encumbrance online as no one who plays PNP uses it, but on the DDO wiki there's a handy little chart. No units sadly but given that this is an American company and the books use pounds, pounds is what we're going with. This means that our Halfling/Gnome PC of 11 STR can actually carry up to 428lbs if they're overloaded!

So clearly we've overestimated their STR. But putting them at a measly 6 STR still gives them a carrying capacity of 56. Obviously they've been hit by a spell or poison that drained their STR. So one excel best-fit trendline later and we have an exponential equation that roughly (and I mean roughly) models the STR to carrying capacity of Halflings/Gnomes so we can find carrying capacity according to DDO rules without having to actually know how it calculated. A little bit of math later and that didn't work out as we're starting to get negative STR values....

Plan B it is!

Other ways of calculating encumbrance include simply multiplying your STR by 10 or 15. Then, because our PC is small, we further multiply by 0.75. If our PC is currently at a STR of 1, we get:

1*15*.75=11.25

Finally, a workable number, if a dubiously calculated one. Clearly our PC is greedy and just wouldn't stop picking up those magic items, no matter how slow they were running.

According to the wiki padded armor is 10lbs, and the next heaviest is leather armor at 15lbs.

SO, finally: our PC with their 13.907lbs of equipment must be a Gnome or Halfling wearing padded armor, with 3.907lbs of money, weaponry, and miscellaneous who is suffering from ability damage to STR.

(PS. he/him, don't pay attention to my username I made it when I was a kid)
    Last edited by ddogirlswims; 05-22-2020 at 05:11 PM.

If he's not wearing a feather falling item, my guess is various bodily fluids that could not be contained by a failed save.
    Blood Scented Axe Body Spray (Thelanis)
    Aelonwy - Wydavir - Metaluscious - Aertimys - Aelyrra - Kaelaria - Lunaura - Aelurawynn - Saurscha - Crystalorn - Aurvaeyn - Vaelyns - Wyllowynd

A cheese grater and a gold pocket watch. No you do not need to know why.

What ever he is wearing is not going to matter in a moment. The ground is going to take care of all that ails him....

An airship is traveling east at 40 miles per hour, and another airship is traveling west at 80 miles per hour. Between them, a player character at maximum encumbrance is falling at 60 miles per hour. What is the player character wearing?
    A highly panicked expression while they search through their very full backpack as they desperately try to find their feather falling ring before reaching the ground.

He's wearing a smirk on his face.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast